TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 19, 2024, 11:30:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 103   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recent gigs  (Read 799076 times)
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« on: May 09, 2017, 11:49:03 AM »

Went to see The Rheingans Sisters last night.  I didn't know their music, other than from a few videos, and by reputation (they won a Folk Award last year, and were nominated for another).

They are excellent musicians, playing a mix of tunes and songs from and inspired by England, France and Scandinavia - in all of which places they have spent time.  Somehow it didn't quite 'catch' with me, though.  I left feeling that I had been entertained, and impressed by the musicianship of two such young people, but not that I must see them again.  I certainly wouldn't want to put anyone else off seeing them though.

Some may be interested to hear that they are planning to record a new album this summer, and they played us some of the pieces that will be on it.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2017, 12:26:43 PM »

......  Somehow it didn't quite 'catch' with me, though.  I left feeling that I had been entertained, and impressed by the musicianship of two such young people, but not that I must see them again.  I certainly wouldn't want to put anyone else off seeing them though....

Exactly how I felt when I saw The Unthanks. Their talent was in no doubt, but I have no desire to see them again

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2017, 02:21:12 PM »

Steve Hackett (again!) last Friday week in Cardiff. Mostly his own stuff and a bit of Genesis with Nad Sylvan. The new album The Night Siren is excellent, if you're a Hackett fan you'll want this.

I took my nephew who thoroughly enjoyed himself. He's 52 by the way, not a little nephew  Grin

Now, when is Steve's next tour!  Need to get my tickets booked  Smiley

Steve Hackett in Portsmouth last night - a thoroughly excellent gig. On that showing would like to see him again...
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2017, 02:27:30 PM »

A few days late posting this but I went to see the incomparable Tankus The Henge at the tiny Hop Yard Brewery in Forest Row (otherwise known as the middle of nowhere) on Friday. They really are a very special band. The sense of warmth and inclusiveness that they give off is infectious and most acts would kill for a front man with a fraction of the charisma of Jaz Delorean. I just wish they would find the time to get round to recording a second album. An utterly life affirming performance.

Also of note, one of the support bands was the Harry Whitty Quartet, a bunch of 16 year olds playing what was essentially modern jazz. Jazz is not necessarily my thing but the level of musical accomplishment that was on display was jaw dropping from such young performers, though they need to develop a little stage craft. Harry has a digital EP available from ITunes (& probably elsewhere) on which he plays all the instruments himself. At 16! Extraordinary. Keep an eye out for them.

The other support band, whose blushes I shall spare, qualified only as 45 minutes of my life that I shall never get back, in the guise of "psychedelic rock". They were a tiresome reminder of why punk had to happen.
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2017, 02:39:56 PM »

Steve Hackett (again!) last Friday week in Cardiff. Mostly his own stuff and a bit of Genesis with Nad Sylvan. The new album The Night Siren is excellent, if you're a Hackett fan you'll want this.

I took my nephew who thoroughly enjoyed himself. He's 52 by the way, not a little nephew  Grin

Now, when is Steve's next tour!  Need to get my tickets booked  Smiley

Steve Hackett in Portsmouth last night - a thoroughly excellent gig. On that showing would like to see him again...

The more of you who post this stuff, the more I am regretting that I had to sell my ticket for the Reading concert on, as I was double-booked!

Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
DarrenWilliams

Loc: St Helens

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2017, 03:28:49 PM »

A few days late posting this but I went to see the incomparable Tankus The Henge ....

I am going to search these out just because of the name alone!
Adam
I'm looking at you, Cool Cat!
Folkcorp Guru

I'm a llama!

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2017, 06:52:59 AM »

Skinny Lister, at the (volcanically hot) Talking Heads in Southampton. The band were in great form, with an enthusiastic sell-out crowd.

I was just as impressed by the support, AJJ. I hadn't heard them before, but really strong melodic power popesque stuff from the boys from Arizona. Must investigate further....

hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2017, 09:29:19 AM »

Just had a weekend at the wonderful Langdale folk Festival.
Can I really recommend Saturday's Headliner.PHANTOM VOICES.
I hate categories, so let's call it FOLK ROCK! but there are numerous influences in there.
Self penned songs , great 3 part harmonies, leccy , gtr, soaring fiddle, what more do you need
I bought the new album, 'Phantom Voices'
This is a band that deserves being heard.
They are playing the lovely Ireby Festival, this month and Costa Del Folk in Sept.
Check them out.
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2017, 12:40:39 PM »

Daphne's Flight at The Gulbenkian in Canterbury last night.

Sublime! No other word for it Five hugely talented women at the absolute top of their game. Harmonies to die for. Terrific songs. Wonderful bonhomie. Catch this tour if you can.

Slight disappointment at the size of the audience, though it was by no means embarrassingly small. Loud applause at the announcement that they have decided to make Daphne's Flight a permanent arrangement.

Nice chat with Christine Collister afterwards. Lovely lady.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2017, 10:31:20 PM »

A fabulous Dean Freidman last night at St Donat's Art Centre near Llantwit Major, a favourite venue of ours.

Mike and I are a bit fragile at the moment with the news of his brother, but the concert was just what we needed - we cried and laughed in equal amounts. Mr Freidman is a bit of a raconteur and has been around the world a few times in his career, garnering stories on the way. I have a soft spot for singer-songwriters, and if you add a bit of New York jazz into the mix it's hits the spot. He's an accomplished guitarist and pianist and is still able to let rip on a song, or gently weave his way though an ode to his old guitar, or a song about his mother (and yes, it's called Mother of Mine!).  

It ended with the audience singing the female part to Lucky Stars! and we all knew the words  Cheesy

A brilliant night. I didn't want it to end  Smiley

GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2017, 10:52:05 PM »

A fabulous Dean Freidman last night at St Donat's Art Centre near Llantwit Major, a favourite venue of ours.

Mike and I are a bit fragile at the moment with the news of his brother, but the concert was just what we needed - we cried and laughed in equal amounts. Mr Freidman is a bit of a raconteur and has been around the world a few times in his career, garnering stories on the way. I have a soft spot for singer-songwriters, and if you add a bit of New York jazz into the mix it's hits the spot. He's an accomplished guitarist and pianist and is still able to let rip on a song, or gently weave his way though an ode to his old guitar, or a song about his mother (and yes, it's called Mother of Mine!).  

It ended with the audience singing the female part to Lucky Stars! and we all knew the words  Cheesy

I didn't realise that Dean is over at the moment. He is, as you say, a hugely talented and entertaining live performer. It is kind of a shame that he is primarily known for what is largely regarded as a novelty song because his first two albums are amongst the very best in the singer songwriter genre imho. Songs like The Letter and Don't You Ever Dare never fail to move me.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2017, 11:00:54 PM »

But did you see Lisa?

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Bridgwit (Bridget)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2017, 09:47:11 AM »

But did you see Lisa?

Jules
No  Sad the night was ruined...

Yes Al, and his new album is amongst his best work IMHO  Smiley I'd love to see him in New York, with a guest saxophonist

GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2017, 11:24:10 AM »

But did you see Lisa?

Jules

Yes Al, and his new album is amongst his best work IMHO  Smiley I'd love to see him in New York, with a guest saxophonist

I must get a copy but he is charging £18 on his website, which is a bit steep!
Bridgwit (Bridget)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2017, 02:39:37 PM »

But did you see Lisa?

Jules

I must get a copy but he is charging £18 on his website, which is a bit steep!
£20 at the concert! He doesn't have a record company to share his costs though, he does it all himself, so I didn't mind too much.

Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2017, 03:16:34 PM »

£20 at the concert! He doesn't have a record company to share his costs though, he does it all himself, so I didn't mind too much.

You're not just being nice?

Jules

Bridgwit (Bridget)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2017, 04:17:04 PM »

You're not just being nice?

Jules
No, I'm not just being nice!

John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2017, 05:51:29 PM »

Brian Wilson, Alan Jardine and Blondie Chaplin performing Pet Sounds' 50th Anniversary, at ACL-Live on Saturday night!

Here is a spot-on review:  http://music.blog.austin360.com/2017/05/14/brian-wilson-and-his-bandmates-do-pet-sounds-proud-at-acl-live/

Also:
(1) Brian's piano is definitely turned on. During the sound check, he noodled some beautiful stuff. Then, after the show started, he promptly realized his piano was turned off and had the technicians correct it immediately.  I was impressed by his ability to respond to adversity (including the upside-down teleprompter referenced in the review) without losing his cool.
(2) He spent the entire evening focused on Mrs. John From Austin, a vision in white, sitting in the front row next to me. She got several smiles and an A-OK at one point.  It was very sweet.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2017, 07:41:57 PM »

He spent the entire evening focused on Mrs. John From Austin, a vision in white, sitting in the front row next to me. She got several smiles and an A-OK at one point.  It was very sweet.

He looks like he might be somewhat smitten in the picture.   Wink

Jules

Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2017, 09:09:34 AM »

Phil Beer Band were on stonking form last night, including 'special guest' Marion Fleetwood, depping for the usual fiddler, who was unavailable.  I just about made it, having gone down with a rotten sore throat at the weekend (hope my coughing didn't spoil anyone's enjoyment - I tried to keep it under control), but was very glad I did.  Loved the version of Jackson Browne's 'Before the Deluge' at the end, which turned into a twin fiddle and accordion duel (triel?) and morphed into some trad tunes, but really the whole thing was a joy.

Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 103   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: