TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:46:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 103   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recent gigs  (Read 803594 times)
Shankly (Peter)
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Liverpool, England

« Reply #1340 on: December 16, 2019, 07:36:56 AM »

Albion Christmas Band in Southport Saturday night. Lovely show to get you in the festive mood. Kellie has such a beautiful voice.
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #1341 on: December 19, 2019, 07:33:30 PM »

Cher/Nile Rodgers and Chic - two days ago, AT&T Center in San Antonio, Texas!

Cher is fabulous, a force of nature and utterly unique in the world of music/pop culture.  Her live show is huge, with dancers, big band, trapeze artists, and an elaborate stage with three-dimensional-seeming projections that transform the set in support of the songs.  She played EDM, pop, power ballads, heavy metal, Elvis, and a great version of "Walking in Memphis."  She did a couple of duets with Sonny on the big screen.  It was clear to me that she was singing live, even though she had support from two backup singers.  Her voice retains its power and unique tone, even if she's lost some range.

I know her tour has already passed through the UK, but I can state unequivocally that it is worth your time and money to see her if and when she returns.

...and Nile Rodgers is awesome, too!
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #1342 on: December 19, 2019, 10:04:30 PM »

Albion Christmas Band in Southport Saturday night. Lovely show to get you in the festive mood. Kellie has such a beautiful voice.

I saw the Albions last night in Canterbury. A surprising amount of not specifically festive material in the set this year I thought. And ending with Mad World, much as I love their version of it, was an oddly downbeat way to close the show. I still enjoyed it tremendously but didn't come away with that Christmassy glow. The two and a half hour drive home through apocalyptic weather and flooded roads probably didn't help my mood.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #1343 on: December 20, 2019, 07:37:12 AM »

I saw the Albions last night in Canterbury. A surprising amount of not specifically festive material in the set this year I thought. And ending with Mad World, much as I love their version of it, was an oddly downbeat way to close the show. I still enjoyed it tremendously but didn't come away with that Christmassy glow. The two and a half hour drive home through apocalyptic weather and flooded roads probably didn't help my mood.

Seems highly appropriate.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #1344 on: December 20, 2019, 08:31:19 AM »

Cher is fabulous, a force of nature and utterly unique in the world of music/pop culture.  Her live show is huge, with dancers, big band, trapeze artists, and an elaborate stage with three-dimensional-seeming projections that transform the set in support of the songs.  She played EDM, pop, power ballads, heavy metal, Elvis, and a great version of "Walking in Memphis."  She did a couple of duets with Sonny on the big screen.  It was clear to me that she was singing live, even though she had support from two backup singers.  Her voice retains its power and unique tone, even if she's lost some range.

I know her tour has already passed through the UK, but I can state unequivocally that it is worth your time and money to see her if and when she returns.

I've no idea if I would like this. Nile Rodgers is fabulous and created the soundtrack of much of my misspent youth, but Cher did for me with Believe, which I detest with a passion. She's definitely unique though!

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #1345 on: December 20, 2019, 10:50:09 PM »

I've no idea if I would like this. Nile Rodgers is fabulous and created the soundtrack of much of my misspent youth, but Cher did for me with Believe, which I detest with a passion. She's definitely unique though!

"Believe" happens to be Mrs. J From A's least favorite Cher song as well. Of course, it was the encore song and it was terrific. Smiley She sang it without autotune!
mightyglydd
An electric train freak should have no problems

Loc: Hollywood California

« Reply #1346 on: December 21, 2019, 12:59:51 AM »

Cher is fabulous,.

Yes she is, Absolutely Fabulous, which reminded me of this Smiley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsKbwR7WXN4
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #1347 on: December 21, 2019, 12:20:38 PM »

Steve Harley at the Robin last night.
It's taken me ages to get to see him, even though it's one of his favourite venues and he plays there regularly.
I once again, like the Steve Hillage gig, managed to get a position right at the front and filmed Make Me Smile.
Cracking little band, all the oldies and some great newies.
A nice ending to my musical year.

Well I never did..
Adam
I'm looking at you, Cool Cat!
Folkcorp Guru

I'm a llama!

« Reply #1348 on: December 21, 2019, 09:03:33 PM »

The Wonderstuff, at the O2 Bournemouth last night. What a fab 31 set gig! They started with five tracks from their latest record (Better Being Lucky), which sounded great. The 8 legged grove machine had morphed into a 12 legged version, which gave the songs a real punch. They followed with the whole of 8 legged grove machine and Hup albums (but not in order), which showed just what a good songwriter Miles Hunt is. Brilliant to see Malc Treece back in the band after a few years absence. A wonderful night!
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #1349 on: January 14, 2020, 09:00:48 AM »

Damian Wilson & Adam Wakeman last night in an intimate setting. Sounds a bit odd but the basement Live Lounge of PizzaExpress in Holborn, London is a great venue. The artists are literally just 10-15 feet away in an area containing no more than 100 people. Both guys chatted very amiably with the audience and the interaction was excellent and, of course, you cannot fault the quality of the singing and piano playing. A superb night  Grin

Born to Run (but not very fast)
Yorkshire Chris
Did you have a Sloppy Guiseppe?

Loc: Yorkshire (who'd have guessed...!)

« Reply #1350 on: January 14, 2020, 04:19:16 PM »

Damian Wilson & Adam Wakeman last night in an intimate setting. Sounds a bit odd but the basement Live Lounge of PizzaExpress in Holborn, London is a great venue. The artists are literally just 10-15 feet away in an area containing no more than 100 people. Both guys chatted very amiably with the audience and the interaction was excellent and, of course, you cannot fault the quality of the singing and piano playing. A superb night  Grin

But the question on everyone's lips....did you have a Sloppy Guiseppe or just dough balls..... Wink
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #1351 on: January 14, 2020, 05:15:29 PM »

But the question on everyone's lips....did you have a Sloppy Guiseppe or just dough balls..... Wink

Of course I had a Sloppy Giuseppe  Grin Grin Grin

Born to Run (but not very fast)
mightyglydd
An electric train freak should have no problems

Loc: Hollywood California

« Reply #1352 on: January 20, 2020, 12:21:22 AM »

Someone must like Coldplay, I sure do Smiley

On Friday night they opened our new Sound Space downstairs at work.

50 minute set for around 200 up close, twas kinda magical, Chris Martin was engaging funny and obviously having a blast, (Improvised  happy birthday for a fan)
For me this was the absolute highlight Femi Kuti and his 'Super Eagle' horns...

Enjoy  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emuEGYiu7_s
Bridgwit (Bridget)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1353 on: January 20, 2020, 08:47:59 AM »

Me!

Meant to post that we also saw Wilson & Wakeman last Weds, playing at the Acapela Studios just outside Cardiff. A fabulous evening, also with pizza! haven't stopped playing their album since Smiley

GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1354 on: January 20, 2020, 10:27:22 AM »

Me!

I just think they have gone on too long. Chris Martin seems to be a very nice chap and I liked their first three albums quite a lot but after that it is a bit meh. It is the Radiohead syndrome. I appreciate that other opinions regarding Radiohead are available.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1355 on: January 20, 2020, 11:24:23 AM »

Me!

I just think they have gone on too long. Chris Martin seems to be a very nice chap and I liked their first three albums quite a lot but after that it is a bit meh. It is the Radiohead syndrome. I appreciate that other opinions regarding Radiohead are available.
I'm a bit meh about Radiohead tbh! I don't see Chris Martin having a solo career, that wouldn't work for me anyway. And yes I think their earlier stuff is better

GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1356 on: January 20, 2020, 11:45:38 AM »

Me!

I'm a bit meh about Radiohead tbh! I don't see Chris Martin having a solo career, that wouldn't work for me anyway. And yes I think their earlier stuff is better

I loved and I mean really loved the first three Radiohead albums, even Pablo Honey which is not highly regarded but which I was championing well before anybody had really heard of them but after those first three, nothing. I know they are adored by many but for me it was the single biggest falling off in my fandom that I have ever experienced. I am cursed with a love of melody and an intolerance of noodling.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1357 on: January 20, 2020, 12:16:41 PM »

On Friday night they opened our new Sound Space downstairs at work.

50 minute set for around 200 up close, twas kinda magical, Chris Martin was engaging funny and obviously having a blast, (Improvised  happy birthday for a fan)
For me this was the absolute highlight Femi Kuti and his 'Super Eagle' horns...

Enjoy  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emuEGYiu7_s

I wonder how he got there?  Did he walk?  Still, however he managed it, I do hope his carbon neutral touring is all going well....

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1358 on: January 20, 2020, 02:49:20 PM »

I am cursed with a love of melody and an intolerance of noodling.
I'm partial to a bit of noodling a la Clapton, who claims he never plays any tune the same way twice, but I like melody too. I listen to a fair bit of classical music and, thankfully, you rarely get noodling in that!

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1359 on: January 20, 2020, 02:51:50 PM »

I am cursed with a love of melody and an intolerance of noodling.
I'm partial to a bit of noodling a la Clapton, who claims he never plays any tune the same way twice, but I like melody too. I listen to a fair bit of classical music and, thankfully, you rarely get noodling in that!

Really?  Clapton's been playing the same solos for decades!

Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 103   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: