TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 29, 2024, 02:17:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 103   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recent gigs  (Read 803910 times)
dog-nap (Ian)
Now you've made me peckish

« Reply #1300 on: November 12, 2019, 05:57:58 PM »

Steve Hackett and his band at St David's Hall Cardiff Saturday.

I wish I had a set list as I'm not good at remembering (anything...) but I can confidently say that they played the whole of Selling England by the Pound and it was immense. The band are Nad Sylan on vocals, Roger King on keyboards, Rob Townsend on sax, clarinet, flute, keyboards and percussion, Jonas Reingold on bass and 12 string and Craig Blundell on drums, which seems a complete understatement, plus of course Steve Hackett on guitar. The tracks off the new album sound great, and despite there being signed copies of the CD, I am going to download it. We got a good range of his back catalogue, with the band jamming on a few numbers and some old Genesis such as Squonk and Los Endos. Big Big train got a mention (and a huge cheer).  A fabulous evening of prog heaven  Smiley I'd say catch him if you can on this tour but I believe it's sold out  Smiley

Did you know he was interviewed by Johnnie Walker last weekend?  Here is a link, in case you are interested.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000b6dv

Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #1301 on: November 13, 2019, 09:39:55 AM »

Steve Hackett and his band at St David's Hall Cardiff Saturday.

I wish I had a set list as I'm not good at remembering (anything...) but I can confidently say that they played the whole of Selling England by the Pound and it was immense. The band are Nad Sylan on vocals, Roger King on keyboards, Rob Townsend on sax, clarinet, flute, keyboards and percussion, Jonas Reingold on bass and 12 string and Craig Blundell on drums, which seems a complete understatement, plus of course Steve Hackett on guitar. The tracks off the new album sound great, and despite there being signed copies of the CD, I am going to download it. We got a good range of his back catalogue, with the band jamming on a few numbers and some old Genesis such as Squonk and Los Endos. Big Big train got a mention (and a huge cheer).  A fabulous evening of prog heaven  Smiley I'd say catch him if you can on this tour but I believe it's sold out  Smiley

Did you know he was interviewed by Johnnie Walker last weekend?  Here is a link, in case you are interested.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000b6dv

I'd forgotten about that! Listening to it now Smiley thank you

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Tony Pim

Loc: St Helens

« Reply #1302 on: November 13, 2019, 04:08:32 PM »

Steve Hackett at the Phil in Liverpool on Monday.  Brilliant.  Not that familiar with his own stuff but I really enjoyed that too, and for once it was proper loud.

and the stars look very different today
JJ (Joanna)
safely sewn on
Global Moderator

Loc: Essex

nice McTell I'm wearin!

« Reply #1303 on: November 13, 2019, 04:51:11 PM »

Gigspanner last night were fantastic at the local club.  Tiara

....may my love be your protector; and walk with you 'til next we meet
R.McTell - An Irish Blessing.
Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Loc: South Oxon

Block and Chip

« Reply #1304 on: November 16, 2019, 08:45:28 PM »

Steve Hackett at Reading going well so far. Double necked guitars, dual 12 string playing, flutes, drum solos. Couldn't wish for more, frankly.

Interval now. Genesis bits up next. Good ho!

Cheers

Nick

You've got questions, we've got assumptions
wayne stote
Many thanks for the Doobies advice

« Reply #1305 on: November 16, 2019, 08:54:08 PM »

Wednesday:

Deaf Havana

A very good, if slightly angtsy rock band. Imagine McFly playing the nu metal songbook (though having written that, I must emphasis they are much better than that sounds!)

Gotta say, it was great to see so many young people at a rock gig!
wayne stote

« Reply #1306 on: November 16, 2019, 08:57:00 PM »

Friday:

Urban Voodoo Machine

I try & catch these whenever I can. They are a force of nature! If you don't know them, imagine Gogol Bordello meets The Faces through a Hammer Horror filter. Unique!
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #1307 on: November 17, 2019, 11:32:06 AM »

A trip to the theatre last week rather than a gig though there was live music and various songs played during the show by the likes of T Rex, The Clash and Iggy Pop. The theatre company, Thunder Road, is coming to the end of run in the north of England - final show in Otley tonight. Here's a review of the Lancaster show

http://number9reviews.blogspot.com/2019/11/theatre-review-body-snatcher-dukes.html

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #1308 on: November 18, 2019, 10:01:54 AM »

Th Budapest Cafe Orchestra at Acapela in Pentyrch, a converted church just outside Cardiff.

They were on top form as always, 4 extremely talented musicians playing top-quality eastern European music with amusing banter. Perfect!   Cheesy

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #1309 on: November 18, 2019, 12:07:52 PM »

Steve Hackett at Reading going well so far. Double necked guitars, dual 12 string playing, flutes, drum solos. Couldn't wish for more, frankly.

Interval now. Genesis bits up next. Good ho!

Cheers

Nick

It was rather good, wasn't it?!

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #1310 on: November 19, 2019, 08:10:10 AM »

Trials of Cato at Colchester last night. Even better than when I saw them in September. Would love to see them at Cropredy next year!

Born to Run (but not very fast)
Ian_
blazzawazzada brortewtomay
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Warwickshire

None the wiser

« Reply #1311 on: November 19, 2019, 09:48:25 AM »

Steve Hackett last night at Birmingham Symphony Hall. Apart from problems with the ********* trains, an outstanding night. The solo stuff, which I knew from the records, really came to life - inventive, complex and always theatrical. As for the Genesis songs, I could listen to 'Firth of Fifth' every day of my life and not get tired of it, and even 'More fool me', which I'd always regarded s a bit of a throwaway, sounded charming in this arrangement. And it's just nice to hear some truly outstanding musicians.... Smiley

The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science." Albert Einstein
JohnP69

« Reply #1312 on: November 20, 2019, 04:51:15 PM »

Steve Hillage and Gong on Monday night at the Sheffield Academy.

Gong did a great opening set of their own then after a short interval returned to back Steve.

Excellent show!!

Set list here.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/steve-hillage-band/2019/o2-academy-2-sheffield-england-239aec13.html
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #1313 on: November 21, 2019, 12:05:29 AM »

SH and Gong in Bristol this evening. Gong are fine musically, but either Kavus Torabi's monitors were playing up or he was having a bad night vocally.

SHB were very fine indeed. Set list as per Sheffield. Call me an old hippy, but some positive vibes as put out by Mr Hillage & Co were much needed in the current socio-political climate.

Flobbadob!
wayne stote

« Reply #1314 on: November 22, 2019, 01:30:02 AM »

SH and Gong in Bristol this evening. Gong are fine musically, but either Kavus Torabi's monitors were playing up or he was having a bad night vocally.

SHB were very fine indeed. Set list as per Sheffield. Call me an old hippy, but some positive vibes as put out by Mr Hillage & Co were much needed in the current socio-political climate.

Shame about Kavus. I reckon you're right about the monitors. I've never heard him struggle though we all get colds, I suppose.

Caught Gong with Ed Wynne supporting earlier on in the year and it was a terrific evening.
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #1315 on: November 22, 2019, 08:22:07 AM »

My turn for Steve Hillage and Gong in Brum at the Academy 2 last night.
I've been 'there' 3 times...except it was in a different location on each occasion. Currently it's the old Digbeth Town Hall.
There were hoards of young folk there and I was surprised, until I got inside and found that Professor Green was rapping away in the main hall (the scene of a beer festival I attended in the Eighties, where the only beer left was Davenports - beer at home...waste of train fare).
The decent music  Wink was in a little basement room and we were all squished in there for a sold out gig.
I was delighted to find that my position on the barrier at the front was directly in front of the man himself and was able to do the dreaded film it on your phone thing without obscuring anybody's view for two or three selected personal favourites.
An excellent gig indeed...and my second experience of the Glorious Om Riff, after seeing Gong play it at New Day last year, which was actually Master Builder on this occasion.
Fabulous.

Well I never did..
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #1316 on: November 22, 2019, 08:23:40 AM »

I was delighted to find that my position on the barrier at the front was directly in front of the man himself and was able to do the dreaded film it on your phone thing without obscuring anybody's view for two or three selected personal favourites.

Are you posting these anywhere?  Don't forget to share where, if you do  Smiley

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
bassline (Mike)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1317 on: November 22, 2019, 09:37:25 AM »

Are you posting these anywhere?  Don't forget to share where, if you do  Smiley

If they are of decentish quality I will...I haven't checked them out yet. In contrast to last night, I have to go into hospital in an hour to investigate the cause of my blood clottage.

Well I never did..
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #1318 on: November 22, 2019, 11:23:27 PM »

Hope your results are OK, Mike... Big Country in Gloucester this evening and very enjoyable too. Good sized crowd up for partying along. Strong drink was being taken. The band and crew are staying in the city tonight, heading off for a curry after the gig. I imagine no toilets will be chucked out of windows... they may just be needed in the small hours!

Flobbadob!
bassline (Mike)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1319 on: November 23, 2019, 06:11:33 PM »

Hope your results are OK, Mike... Big Country in Gloucester this evening and very enjoyable too. Good sized crowd up for partying along. Strong drink was being taken. The band and crew are staying in the city tonight, heading off for a curry after the gig. I imagine no toilets will be chucked out of windows... they may just be needed in the small hours!

Cheers dude...no results as of yet...just tests.
It took me a while to realise you meant that and not my filming of the gig....they were pretty good.

Well I never did..
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 103   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: