TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 03:12:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 103   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recent gigs  (Read 803442 times)
DarrenWilliams

Loc: St Helens

« Reply #180 on: October 05, 2017, 12:53:24 PM »

The Band That Should Be Known As Wishbone Ash, featuring Martin Turner, at The Robin. Excellent gig, they played two hours and performed the whole of classic album Argus (named to honour Argos, the Greek God of silly little pens) though not in order.
Decent turn out, about 150, and no annoying solos, unlike some other classic rock bands.
His voice still sounds good, bass lines ditto, second time I've seen them, well worth seeing if you like the old stuff.

I'm sorry I missed them when they played near us the other day.  But it clashed with the date a friend and I were off to the Pink Floyd exhibition.

The whole band looked to be enjoying themselves so hopefully there will be other chances to catch them on future tours (touch wood, fingers crossed, and all that).

They are playing the first album and Theres The Rub on next year's tour.
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #181 on: October 05, 2017, 02:53:01 PM »

The Young 'Uns played a brilliant show in Lancaster last night. First time I'd seen them. Superb harmonies, very moving songs such as 'Dark Water' and some hilarious between song banter from the boys including an up to the minute quip about a P45!

Support came from Hull duo The Hut People who were worth getting there early to see. Think they are just appearing on the northern dates of the tour. They're in Sheffield tonight and up to Glasgow tomorrow.

Tour dates - http://www.theyounguns.co.uk/

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #182 on: October 07, 2017, 12:36:52 PM »

Robin Williamson last night.   As fine as ever, if older. I'll continue going to see him till one of us drops.  Cool
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #183 on: October 07, 2017, 01:49:30 PM »

John Watterson's "Lost Will and Testament of Jake Thackery" in Soluhull last night - laughed till I cried and vice versa. A great tribute to Jake.

DW
Brendan
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Barrow-in-Furness

« Reply #184 on: October 07, 2017, 03:57:40 PM »

Belinda Carlisle at the Manchester Academy 1 which I only attended really because my friend wanted to attend was brilliant. Despite my worries based on what I had seen on youtube she was pitch perfect, yes it was the 30th Anniversary of the Heaven on Earth album and therefore therefore she played the whole album, but despite thinking there would only be three familiar song I seemed to know about 8 really well and the rest of the set taken from her other albums were not just filler. Belinda had a great band with her, I don't know who was playing with her but they created a great sound and backing for what I know think is a great rock pop vocal. The only negative point was the support who was at best bland. I came away converted and that was following having to seek medical attention at the venue after nearly passing out after finding what I later discovered was a inguinal hernia which was a bit of a shock.

"I'm only a bag of Rags in an Overall"
William

« Reply #185 on: October 07, 2017, 07:40:50 PM »

The Young 'Uns played a brilliant show in Lancaster last night. First time I'd seen them. Superb harmonies, very moving songs such as 'Dark Water' and some hilarious between song banter from the boys including an up to the minute quip about a P45!

Support came from Hull duo The Hut People who were worth getting there early to see. Think they are just appearing on the northern dates of the tour. They're in Sheffield tonight and up to Glasgow tomorrow.

Tour dates - http://www.theyounguns.co.uk/

Young'Uns are always good value. The Hut people are supporting as far south as Colchester on Monday night.
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #186 on: October 13, 2017, 01:44:50 PM »

Saw Madeleine Bell (of Blue Mink fame if anyone can remember that far back) last week in The Limelight Club on board the P&O ship Britannia. She was fabulous, very witty and still with an amazing voice. I recommend going to see her to everyone (if you remember the Just Juice and Mattesons ads she was also the voice on those).

Also saw Madness and ska tribute act 'Badness' on the same cruise. Despite the naff name and the sheer fact that they were a tribute act, they were actually quite good with an energetic front man

Born to Run (but not very fast)
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #187 on: October 13, 2017, 06:31:11 PM »

Edgelarks, the new name Phillip Henry & Hannah Martin are going by, played a very good gig at Garstang last night. Support came from The Little Unsaid which is the band name of the guy they recorded their new album with. I can't really pin him down re style and influences other than say that one song reminded me of Nick Drake but he was worth listening to and he joined Phillip and Hannah on keyboards and vocals for a few songs at the start of their second set.

Having just released a new album P&H's set was largely new material but on first listen I'd say much better than the songs on Watershed which I found a bit disappointing. Having seen them a couple of times since first seeing them support Show of Hands they are certainly sounding very accomplished and are using technology to good effect, an example being a Shruti box which was set to play automatically, presumably triggered by a pedal or whatever.

There was some nice between-song chat including tales from their tour down under last year and they keep themselves busy as they had 3 new cds on sale, the others being one with Gigspanner and the other a band Hannah is in with Nancy Kerr and a few others.

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
Adam
I'm looking at you, Cool Cat!
Folkcorp Guru

I'm a llama!

« Reply #188 on: October 13, 2017, 11:10:16 PM »

Richard Thompson, Poole Lighthouse. Sublime. Other than Cropredy, it has been a few years since I've seen one of his shows. I've not heard him perform a Sandy Denny song before, and 'Who Knows..' was magical. I was on the 4th row, and was mesmerised by his hands on 'Vincent Black lightning'. I still don't know how one guitar can make such a sound. Peerless. Also nice to have a brief chat with the Wickham lady, who seems to have an amazing line-up of gigs coming up!
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #189 on: October 14, 2017, 12:16:05 AM »

The Young 'Uns at the Ropetackle in Shoreham this evening. Just outstanding in every conceivable way. Breathtaking, beautiful, moving songs and between them banter that had the whole audience in hysterics. David Eagle is just so sharp and witty. My sides hurt but there was plenty of fod for thought too.
Col D

Loc: South Cheshire

« Reply #190 on: October 14, 2017, 01:09:26 PM »

The Icicle Works at The Ruby Lounge, Manchester tomorrow.

I think I'm going to the Liverpool Chrimbo show.  It's a bit weird this tour, isn't it, as it's expressly billed as them also playing solo stuff as well.  Let us know how you find it...

In a word...brilliant - but incredibly loud, my ears are still ringing now. Two and a half hours over two sets. Twenty four songs on the set list - fourteen Icicle Works, ten solo including five from the new(ish) album - although two out of the planned four encores had to be dropped due to the venue curfew. I didn't really have a problem with the mix of Icicle Works and solo material, Ian clearly wants to promote the new album and as all the band play on it anyway it seemed a good fit. Now have to see if we can fit in the Liverpool date in December.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #191 on: October 14, 2017, 01:29:41 PM »

I think I'm going to the Liverpool Chrimbo show.  It's a bit weird this tour, isn't it, as it's expressly billed as them also playing solo stuff as well.  Let us know how you find it...

In a word...brilliant - but incredibly loud, my ears are still ringing now. Two and a half hours over two sets. Twenty four songs on the set list - fourteen Icicle Works, ten solo including five from the new(ish) album - although two out of the planned four encores had to be dropped due to the venue curfew. I didn't really have a problem with the mix of Icicle Works and solo material, Ian clearly wants to promote the new album and as all the band play on it anyway it seemed a good fit. Now have to see if we can fit in the Liverpool date in December.

Excellent.  Is Matthew drumming?

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Col D

Loc: South Cheshire

« Reply #192 on: October 14, 2017, 06:49:26 PM »

Excellent.  Is Matthew drumming?

Yes, Matthew on drums, Richard on keyboards and Roy on bass.
Paul
I've Got A Bike
Global Moderator

Loc: Hampshire

I was a fair young curate then.

« Reply #193 on: October 15, 2017, 10:04:03 PM »

While and Matthews in top form in Fareham on Friday. A mixture of old and new, but with an emphasis on their more thoughtful and moving songs. Blind Faith, which I love. The one about the Jewish High Jump Girl in Nazi Germany, and many more.

Paul

Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #194 on: October 17, 2017, 11:52:21 AM »

Agree about RT - glad I'm in for multiple shows - seems to be the same set other than varying the FC/Sandy slot(s).

Missed the Young Uns in London owing to a ticket mix up - got there just as they were starting, ticketless gig, name not on list, unable to access email confirmation, sold out gig (they refused to sell me another anyway), refund received the following day!

Jess Morgan produced a superb set of songs on Sunday, but defo not keen on Dan Whitehouse. Seems to want to be a soul singer stuck in folk music?

Jon Boden solo....sorry, I got bored over two sets. And he's using loops now. Just play the song & stop f**t-ar*ing about, man.

Tasha
shocking in parts but very good
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Shropshire

« Reply #195 on: October 17, 2017, 06:33:26 PM »

Wille and the Bandits at the Oslo in Hackney at the weekend. Great gig and good to meet up with family and friends - Cheers Pastie boy and girl!

They broke my heart and they killed me, but I didn't die. They tried to bury me, they didn't realise I was a seed.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #196 on: October 19, 2017, 12:10:43 PM »

The Waterboys at Bristol Colston Hall last night.

I could write an essay.  It was interesting.  There were some lovely moments, yet overall it was the least convincing Waterboys performance I've ever seen.  Ralph seemed mostly hampered by playing with a second drummer. This was especially evident on a new arrangement of Fisherman's Blues that really didn't work - the beat weighed the song down with cement shoes.  None of the lead instrumentalists' instruments broke free of a somewhat dull sound mix, so many of the new songs sounded a bit flat.  And they were far too quiet.  Steve was charming and lit up the stage whenever he came on, but spent about half of the show offstage.  Mike sang well and you could tell how committed he was to the new material.  The new guitar player was very good.  Brother Paul seemed reigned in for much of the set.  It never really caught fire despite some very nice performances here and there.

Maybe a lot of this was down to it being the first night of the tour.  Maybe the venue was wrong.  This band really needed a standing venue.  I really wish I was writing a more positive review.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #197 on: October 19, 2017, 12:49:09 PM »

The Waterboys at Bristol Colston Hall last night.

I could write an essay.  It was interesting.  There were some lovely moments, yet overall it was the least convincing Waterboys performance I've ever seen.  Ralph seemed mostly hampered by playing with a second drummer. This was especially evident on a new arrangement of Fisherman's Blues that really didn't work - the beat weighed the song down with cement shoes.  None of the lead instrumentalists' instruments broke free of a somewhat dull sound mix, so many of the new songs sounded a bit flat.  And they were far too quiet.  Steve was charming and lit up the stage whenever he came on, but spent about half of the show offstage.  Mike sang well and you could tell how committed he was to the new material.  The new guitar player was very good.  Brother Paul seemed reigned in for much of the set.  It never really caught fire despite some very nice performances here and there.

Maybe a lot of this was down to it being the first night of the tour.  Maybe the venue was wrong.  This band really needed a standing venue.  I really wish I was writing a more positive review.

Jules

Oh dear. You have timed this review very badly as I have just booked to see them in Guildford in May!  Wink

I have not yet heard the new album. It is on the list.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #198 on: October 19, 2017, 12:53:06 PM »

Oh dear. You have timed this review very badly as I have just booked to see them in Guildford in May!  Wink

Let me be clear - it wasn't a bad concert at all.  I'm an old fan and am probably guilty of being overly nitpicking.  There is no cause for alarm.   Grin

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #199 on: October 19, 2017, 01:08:48 PM »

Maybe a lot of this was down to it being the first night of the tour.  Maybe the venue was wrong.

And, just a thought, maybe a lot of it is down to them promoting by far the stodgiest album of their career to date.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 103   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: