TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 09:44:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 103   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recent gigs  (Read 803567 times)
Chris from Fieldtown
Sorry Bob

Loc: Fieldtown, Oxon

« Reply #160 on: October 01, 2017, 03:21:51 PM »

I agree, not a song I know coming from a period of Dylan I decided I could live without.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #161 on: October 01, 2017, 05:35:35 PM »

I agree, not a song I know coming from a period of Dylan I decided I could live without.

There are no periods of Dylan that can be lived without, only some that should be approached with caution.  Wink
blagden
Money for
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: South God's Own Country

I am a rebel - whilst ever my wife will let me be!

« Reply #162 on: October 01, 2017, 06:12:15 PM »

There are no periods of Dylan that can be lived without, only some that should be approached with caution.  Wink

With the exception of Modern Times you wouldn't touch anything for the last 15ish years.

Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #163 on: October 01, 2017, 08:34:17 PM »

Sealionwoman at The Smokehouse in the heart of swinging downtown Ipswich. Absolutely mesmeric. A double bass player with an impressive array of effects pedals and an ethereal singer redolent of Heather Nova or Liz Fraser performing a seamless half hour of hypnotic soundscapes. Quite astonishing.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #164 on: October 01, 2017, 10:26:00 PM »

With the exception of Modern Times you wouldn't touch anything for the last 15ish years.

I can always find some gold on every album except the Sinatra ones. What came out in the last 15 years other than those? Which album had Workingman's Blues #2 on? That one is great.
blagden
Money for
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: South God's Own Country

I am a rebel - whilst ever my wife will let me be!

« Reply #165 on: October 01, 2017, 11:19:09 PM »

I can always find some gold on every album except the Sinatra ones. What came out in the last 15 years other than those? Which album had Workingman's Blues #2 on? That one is great.

Modern Times ... not worth the price of admission for me.
Jim G
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Bridport ,Dorset

« Reply #166 on: October 02, 2017, 11:16:13 AM »

Saw 3 Daft Monkey's at the Marine Theatre at Lyme Regis on Friday night.  They are touring their new album Year of the Clown. Great venue right on the sea front, performance was really good with a nice mix of old songs as well as new.

Apart from it being a seated venue, my only complaint was that age old grumble of people obviously only come out for a social and not interested in the music, holding loud conversations during the performance, a woman sat behind me was literally shouting to her friend very rude in my opinion.
Simon Withers

« Reply #167 on: October 02, 2017, 11:43:19 AM »

Over the weekend I saw three wonderful performances of Big Big Train…I saw our very own Jude at the Matinee on Sunday  Smiley
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #168 on: October 02, 2017, 02:09:01 PM »

Over the weekend I saw three wonderful performances of Big Big Train…I saw our very own Jude at the Matinee on Sunday  Smiley

They were stunningly good on the Sunday weren't they. I may be slightly biassed of course  Grin

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #169 on: October 03, 2017, 10:23:47 AM »

Suzanne Vega last night in Oxford.  Al has said most of it already, but must add praise to guitarist Gerry Leonard for all the sounds he coaxed from his guitar, filling out the sound so it was hard to believe there were only four people on stage.  There seemed to be a bit of a problem with Suzanne's mike in the first half, so the sound of her voice wasn't always perfect, but they fixed it in the break.  And being the last night of the tour, they gave us an added bonus with The Queen and the Soldier as an extra encore.

The standing ovation at the end was well deserved.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Shankly (Peter)
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Liverpool, England

« Reply #170 on: October 03, 2017, 11:19:32 AM »

I'm so jealous - I wish they'd play somewhere Up North. I'd love to see them live. Can you have a word Jude?
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #171 on: October 03, 2017, 11:55:19 AM »

I'm so jealous - I wish they'd play somewhere Up North. I'd love to see them live. Can you have a word Jude?

They are hoping to tour in 2019. and possibly do something in 2018   Grin
I think they are all keen to do so, but the logistics of a large band from different countries are really difficult!  Smiley

Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #172 on: October 03, 2017, 12:09:50 PM »

Sealionwoman at The Smokehouse in the heart of swinging downtown Ipswich. Absolutely mesmeric. A double bass player with an impressive array of effects pedals and an ethereal singer redolent of Heather Nova or Liz Fraser performing a seamless half hour of hypnotic soundscapes. Quite astonishing.

Someone who was there (discreetly) took some footage. This might give you a flavour of proceedings, although you might want to wait until it's late at night and you've had some of your favourite pre-bedtime refreshment. https://youtu.be/xNn9TFZYX08

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #173 on: October 03, 2017, 01:03:24 PM »

They are hoping to tour in 2019. and possibly do something in 2018   Grin
I think they are all keen to do so, but the logistics of a large band from different countries are really difficult!  Smiley
Or they could just do Cropredy.....!  Cheesy  Cheesy

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Simon Withers

« Reply #174 on: October 03, 2017, 01:31:28 PM »

They were stunningly good on the Sunday weren't they. I may be slightly biassed of course  Grin
[/quote]

They were indeed Jude…it was a stunning set by a stunning band…they are truly a remarkable band both on CD and live.

Lets hope in 2019 they play across the UK…as you have written Jude it is a large band to take on the road…I hope more people find their way to Big Big Train…i’d love them to play Cropredy too. Smiley
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #175 on: October 03, 2017, 02:15:54 PM »

They were indeed Jude…it was a stunning set by a stunning band…they are truly a remarkable band both on CD and live.

Lets hope in 2019 they play across the UK…as you have written Jude it is a large band to take on the road…I hope more people find their way to Big Big Train…i’d love them to play Cropredy too. Smiley
[/quote]
So would I.. sadly I have no influence but I have mentioned them  Smiley

mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #176 on: October 03, 2017, 03:55:00 PM »

Justin Hayward at St David's Hall, Cardiff. This is the third time I've seen Justin solo and he gets better every time I've see him. A nice mixed bag of solo and Moody Blues material, including a surprise opening number ('Out and In') which I've never seen live before, even more of a surprise as it's not one of his own songs - written by Mike Pinder and John Lodge. Superb backing by Mike Dawes and Julie Ragins, a real joy.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
Albie
or tea, if that is your cup of tea
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #177 on: October 05, 2017, 11:57:46 AM »

The Band That Should Be Known As Wishbone Ash, featuring Martin Turner, at The Robin. Excellent gig, they played two hours and performed the whole of classic album Argus (named to honour Argos, the Greek God of silly little pens) though not in order.
Decent turn out, about 150, and no annoying solos, unlike some other classic rock bands.
His voice still sounds good, bass lines ditto, second time I've seen them, well worth seeing if you like the old stuff.
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #178 on: October 05, 2017, 12:01:11 PM »

The Band That Should Be Known As Wishbone Ash, featuring Martin Turner, at The Robin. Excellent gig, they played two hours and performed the whole of classic album Argus (named to honour Argos, the Greek God of silly little pens) though not in order.
Decent turn out, about 150, and no annoying solos, unlike some other classic rock bands.
His voice still sounds good, bass lines ditto, second time I've seen them, well worth seeing if you like the old stuff.

I'm sorry I missed them when they played near us the other day.  But it clashed with the date a friend and I were off to the Pink Floyd exhibition.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Albie
or tea, if that is your cup of tea
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #179 on: October 05, 2017, 12:13:01 PM »

I'm sorry I missed them when they played near us the other day.  But it clashed with the date a friend and I were off to the Pink Floyd exhibition.

The whole band looked to be enjoying themselves so hopefully there will be other chances to catch them on future tours (touch wood, fingers crossed, and all that).
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 103   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: