TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 19, 2024, 02:53:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 104   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recent gigs  (Read 814029 times)
PJayBe

« Reply #1580 on: March 27, 2022, 01:33:11 PM »

Barbara Dickson with prog God Troy Donockley last night in Blackburn.  Lots from her folky past amongst the hits and covers, really great evebing.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #1581 on: March 27, 2022, 05:02:32 PM »

Barbara Dickson with prog God Troy Donockley last night in Blackburn.  Lots from her folky past amongst the hits and covers, really great evebing.

I've seen her at a couple of festivals in recent years. I found her sets about two thirds fabulous and one third extremely corny (but worth persevering with).

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Col D

Loc: South Cheshire

« Reply #1582 on: March 29, 2022, 07:48:12 PM »

Later Youth aka Jo Dudderidge from The Travelling Band at the Granary Arts Cafe in Nantwich. After clocking up several hundred miles following the Van der Graaf tour around the country it made a nice change to have a gig ten minutes walk from home. Good sets from Canadian Johnny Payne and local girl Liv Amson-Orth also, fantastic night.
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #1583 on: April 03, 2022, 10:48:29 AM »

I ventured out twice this weekend - once to my local where some mates were playing with their covers band (“We do songs from the albums you know, but not the one you think it’s going to be”) which reminded me of how lucky I am to have such talented friends, and then again last night to a local arts centre where a band had convened to do a brief (two hour) history of Pink Floyd’s first decade. A suitably Roundhouse-esque filmed backdrop provided a visual counterpoint to the onstage malarkey, which bloomed best in the 70-72 part of the show, but which also served to highlight how deceptively simple Nick Mason’s drumming is and how that blend of voices, pedestrian as they may seem on the surface, actually do a great deal of the heavy lifing. Eight o’clock kick off and home by ten thirty!

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1584 on: April 04, 2022, 09:38:04 AM »

Rick Wakeman with the English Rock Ensemble last night.

Selections from Journey etc., King Arthur etc, 6 Wives and Yes. Great band, with a singer who is prettier than Ashley Holt. She sings very well too.
DarrenWilliams

Loc: St Helens

« Reply #1585 on: April 04, 2022, 11:32:21 AM »

Local rock pub on Saturday to see a Fish-era Marillion tribute band. Very good they were too.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #1586 on: April 04, 2022, 12:13:13 PM »

Acapela Studios just outside Cardiff last night for Glenn Tilbrook, very ably supported by his son Leon Tilbrook. Glenn mentioned he did a lot of YouTube videos in lockdown with the whole family so I've been watching some of them this morning. What a very talented family.

Glenn sang some of his own stuff, and most of Squeeze's hits but not Cool for Cats, as it's Chris Difford's vocals & he "doesn't do it justice"  Grin Incidentally, Difford was at the same venue 4 nights ago and reference was made that their sets would be similar...

Nothing now until Dean Friedman on May 13th. So good to be seeing live music again!

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
garrypbrooks

« Reply #1587 on: April 04, 2022, 03:19:50 PM »

We saw a terrific gig by Irish folk-rockers The Kilkennys last night, sadly to a rather small audience, but they didn't let it worry them. A great time was had by all.
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #1588 on: April 04, 2022, 05:06:50 PM »

I've just got back from doing a couple of gigs with the Barry Male Voice Choir in West Wales. A charity concert in Narberth on Friday and singing to a pretty full house in St David's Cathedral on Saturday. I've sung in some nice places since I've been in the choir, but St David's is an absolutely wonderful setting. I can't remember much about what we did afterwards...suffice to say I've been teetotal all day today Grin

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #1589 on: April 04, 2022, 10:15:57 PM »

I've just got back from doing a couple of gigs with the Barry Male Voice Choir in West Wales. A charity concert in Narberth on Friday and singing to a pretty full house in St David's Cathedral on Saturday. I've sung in some nice places since I've been in the choir, but St David's is an absolutely wonderful setting. I can't remember much about what we did afterwards...suffice to say I've been teetotal all day today Grin
First stop was presumably The Farmers.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Bridgwit (Bridget)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1590 on: April 05, 2022, 08:21:05 AM »

First stop was presumably The Farmers.
Judging from the photos on Facebook they took in a few hostelries...  Grin

mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #1591 on: April 05, 2022, 03:34:09 PM »

The Lifeboat (pub), the rugby club, The Brewery and the hotel bar.....

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
JJ (Joanna)
safely sewn on
Global Moderator

Loc: Essex

nice McTell I'm wearin!

« Reply #1592 on: April 06, 2022, 09:56:01 AM »

The fabulous Feast of Fiddles back after 2 years at The Apex, fab show, fab theatre. Missed Chris Leslie as he is away with the Fairports but Marion Fleetwood was a brilliant talented replacement and made them all look far more attractive  Grin Wink
Great show as always. An annoying hiccup for Peter as his microphone wasn't working until well in to the second half but he moved across mic's to sing his very moving 'Lullaby Kiss' with Marion on cello, it certainly stirred the emotions.

....may my love be your protector; and walk with you 'til next we meet
R.McTell - An Irish Blessing.
delfini (Diane)
I've now got 3 pairs
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

.......watching feathers fall from angels....

« Reply #1593 on: April 06, 2022, 08:05:04 PM »

The fabulous Feast of Fiddles back after 2 years at The Apex, fab show, fab theatre. Missed Chris Leslie as he is away with the Fairports but Marion Fleetwood was a brilliant talented replacement and made them all look far more attractive  Grin Wink
Great show as always. An annoying hiccup for Peter as his microphone wasn't working until well in to the second half but he moved across mic's to sing his very moving 'Lullaby Kiss' with Marion on cello, it certainly stirred the emotions.

I saw them last night ….fabulous

and all I really know is that kindness is better than any sort of terror, any kind of spite (Martyn Joseph)
Lubiloo (Lorna)
Google that lot, Bob!
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #1594 on: April 12, 2022, 09:03:08 AM »

Sadly,  we just read that due to illness the remaining dates of the tour have been cancelled.
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #1595 on: April 12, 2022, 09:27:11 AM »

Sadly,  we just read that due to illness the remaining dates of the tour have been cancelled.

I see Barbara's friend Nab Noakes is having to cancel a gig this week...

"I’m saddened to bring the news that the show with Brooks Williams and me at Backstage at the Green on Thursday 14th April has had to be postponed. We have fallen foul of the current epidemic of low ticket sales."

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #1596 on: April 13, 2022, 04:03:05 PM »

Victoria Ukeleles and friends at a local community hall this afternoon. Audience of around 50 most appreciative and much participation. Probably the best gig we've played... they even demanded an encore.!

Flobbadob!
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #1597 on: April 17, 2022, 06:51:24 PM »

Music of Cream - Disraeli Gears plus Clapton classics, Friday, 3Ten Live, Austin, Texas!

We had an enthusiastic crowd of 50-75 for this terrific show. I don't know how a band can pay for a tank of gas with this kind of attendance, but I don't profess to know about the economics of touring. Sad

The current band is Kofi Baker on drums, Will Johns on guitar/vocals, and Americans Steve Ball (guitar, keyboards, Steve Winwood vocals) and Kris Lohn (bass, including some nice slap bass).

Set one was Disraeli Gears complete and in order, followed by an eclectic set of Cream, Blind Faith and Clapton classics. My favorite was "Pretending" from Journeyman, which was the most recent tune they played. The guys signed autographs after the show. Among the stories they told during the set, Kofi says he and a sister innocently recorded over the master tapes of the "Blind Faith" album when they were children. So if you're looking for someone to blame for the crummy sound on the CD...

A very nice night out. It looks as though they're only in the U.S. and Canada through June, but Europe may be in the future. Two thumbs up.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1598 on: April 17, 2022, 08:39:01 PM »

Music of Cream - Disraeli Gears plus Clapton classics, Friday, 3Ten Live, Austin, Texas!

We had an enthusiastic crowd of 50-75 for this terrific show. I don't know how a band can pay for a tank of gas with this kind of attendance, but I don't profess to know about the economics of touring. Sad

The current band is Kofi Baker on drums, Will Johns on guitar/vocals, and Americans Steve Ball (guitar, keyboards, Steve Winwood vocals) and Kris Lohn (bass, including some nice slap bass).

Set one was Disraeli Gears complete and in order, followed by an eclectic set of Cream, Blind Faith and Clapton classics. My favorite was "Pretending" from Journeyman, which was the most recent tune they played. The guys signed autographs after the show. Among the stories they told during the set, Kofi says he and a sister innocently recorded over the master tapes of the "Blind Faith" album when they were children. So if you're looking for someone to blame for the crummy sound on the CD...

A very nice night out. It looks as though they're only in the U.S. and Canada through June, but Europe may be in the future. Two thumbs up.

Sounds very much like my kinda thing! Let’s hope they decide to tour the UK

StephenB
something about the grinding beat
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Blackpudlian exiled in Ireland

An Sasanach is fearr in Eirinn

« Reply #1599 on: April 18, 2022, 01:20:42 AM »

Lindisfarne last night at Bury Met. Wonderful stuff- close your eyes and you're back in the 70s. Nearly all of it was old classic stuff, with the welcome addition of a few of Alan Hull's songs from Pipedream.  A lovely venue as well, nicely  climbing out of the Covid depression with a very interesting gig list for the coming months, with a heavy folk inclination.

One boxing match - what's that? A bout?
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 104   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: