TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 09:52:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 103   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recent gigs  (Read 803345 times)
Col D

Loc: South Cheshire

« Reply #1620 on: May 04, 2022, 09:16:36 PM »

Sea Power at the Albert Hall in Manchester on Saturday. The songs from the new album have already bedded into the set really well and they dusted off a few oldies we've not heard live for a while as well. A really great night.

My Sue and a girlfriend really enjoyed themselves.  Her only minor negative comment was that they seemed to slightly steamroller through the set as though they were trying to get to the end of the tour as quickly as possible (which given the Covid complications it's encountered is very understandable)...just less of the usual stage communication forthcoming from Yan and co.

A bit less chat from Yan in the first part of the set possibly but I didn't really read anything into that. He seemed genuinely knocked out by the audience response, couldn't get him off the stage at the end he was so busy applauding the crowd. Really wished I'd made the effort to do more than one on the tour now.
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #1621 on: May 05, 2022, 04:49:24 PM »

Went to see Steeleye in Sale last night.  First time I've seen them in a room for over 45 years!
They are a tremendous band and Violeta Vicci( I think that's right) is a great violinist and does the heavy lifting for Maddy when the high notes need to be reached.  Roger Carey(bass), Spud Murphy(guitar) Liam Genockey(drums) are a tremendous rhythm section with Julian Littman  (sings plays guitar and keys).  Maddy can still knock out the songs and I don't think she was quite as enough as the last time I saw them at Cropredy.  They are playing  " Below the salt" in its entirety in the first half with a selection from their huge back catalogue in the second.   Tremendous night, I hope I don't wait as long for the next time.

The Dude abides
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #1622 on: May 06, 2022, 11:17:03 AM »

They are in good form aren't they?

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
garrypbrooks

« Reply #1623 on: May 07, 2022, 12:54:26 PM »

Saw a terrific gig last night,a few hours of Western Swing from The Hot Club of Cowtown at the Crawley Hawth.
My god could this trio whoop it up & engage a crowd, and their musicianship was staggeringly good.
Rather surprised I'd not seen them at a festival some time or another, they are the sort of band who'd do well at any folk/roots/jazz-oriented festival I can think of.

It was promoted by 22o5promotions.co.uk, whose aim is "bringing world class Americana, Roots and Country music to West Sussex and beyond!" - they certainly did that last night, and I'm surewe'll be going to a few more of their shows.
Poor Will (Bill)
coocoocachoo would just be silly
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Bognor Regis West Sussex

« Reply #1624 on: May 08, 2022, 08:57:28 AM »

Some prog/folk courtesy of The Joshua Burnell Band playing to a small but very appreciative audience at the Ashcroft Arts Centre in Fareham last night.

In the words of the Zen Master " Don't just do something, sit there"
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #1625 on: May 08, 2022, 11:17:53 PM »

It was Mother's Day over here today, so me and the family did something slightly different this year and went to a Beatles Brunch, with Beatles tribute act Strawberry Fields. I genuinely enjoyed it more than I expected. Mostly the big hits, but there were some surprises- Any Time At All, I'll Be On My Way, Till There Was You. Individually the four members have a lot of musical experience and Broadway credits, but the standout was Ira Siegel as George. The only thing he had against him was that he is left handed so  standing next to 'Paul' looked kind of off!  Wink Grin

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #1626 on: May 10, 2022, 01:08:41 AM »

Three Who shows in six days! I think I already discussed Austin and linked to a review.

In Dallas last Thursday, Pete almost completely lost his voice. He struggled through "Eminence Front" and performed "I'm One" accompanying himself on acoustic after asking the band to sit this one out. Roger, on the other hand, once again sang with authority and power he could only have dreamt of back in 2006 and 2007. To the Austin set, they added an epic "Bargain."

In Houston (suburban development The Woodlands, to be precise) last night, Pete's voice had somewhat recovered, though he apologized at the top and said he would "croak" his way through. There were several shambolic moments, including a false start when Zak counted in Pinball Wizard too fast, and an aborted "The Seeker" wherein Pete was attempting to demonstrate how Roger insisted that he turn down his volume. An odd moment at the end of the show - Zak pointedly said "FU" to a guy who asked for a drum stick. I wonder what the backstory was there?
Harbottle (Martin)
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Coventry

Hark at me!

« Reply #1627 on: May 11, 2022, 02:17:45 PM »

Tangerine Dream.

Last night.

I had no intention of going and wasn't even aware they were on, but a very kind stranger gave me a ticket they couldn't use.

It was a standing venue so my old bones were tested. I leaned at the bar, not drinking, as I don't do that any more.

It was louder than I expected,  so about right with my ear protection in. It might have been a bit boring but for the 2
screens of moving images behind the group.

I have to admit I rather enjoyed it. Soothing in a way, and a number of people seemed moved to dance a little. They're a trio, 2 guys on keys and synthetic, a lady on violin. No original members, sadly.

I saw them in Coventry Cathedral with Steven Rothery guesting. It was fantastic... quite dance-y/techno in places.

Saw Ian Anderson/Tull at the Cathedral before Xmas as well, and that was good. IA was in surprisingly good voice.

"Nothing, like something, happens anywhere." - Philip Larkin
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #1628 on: May 14, 2022, 08:09:13 AM »

Kathryn Roberts and Sean Lakeman in Barry last night. Excellent concert in front of an appreciative audience. As well as the music there were some nice anecdotes, about how they found or wrote certain songs and about losing their creative mojo whilst sharing their house during lockdown with their teenage twins. I only have one of their albums, so I may be adding to my collection pretty soon. Nice to see Andy and Phil there too.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #1629 on: May 16, 2022, 10:25:21 AM »

An excellent performance from FC acoustic last night in Nantwich, and long too. Nice to see Damian from Merry Hell sitting at, but not operating, the sounddesk. Theres hope yet! Introductions from Nigel Stonier.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #1630 on: May 16, 2022, 03:53:56 PM »

Introductions from Nigel Stonier.

Ah, my Twitter friend.  Lovely chap.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
John From Austin
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #1631 on: May 20, 2022, 06:55:18 AM »

Eagles, Moody Center, 19 May 2022! L-R: Vince Gill, Timothy B. Schmit, Don Henley, Joe Walsh, and Steuart Smith (yes, that's how he spells it) perform "Seven Bridges Road."

* Eagles 5-19-2022 Small.jpg (196.14 KB, 1672x1254 - viewed 546 times.)
wayne stote
Many thanks for the Doobies advice

« Reply #1632 on: May 20, 2022, 09:32:35 AM »

Eagles, Moody Center, 19 May 2022! L-R: Vince Gill, Timothy B. Schmit, Don Henley, Joe Walsh, and Steuart Smith (yes, that's how he spells it) perform "Seven Bridges Road."

A small Eagles aside:

The new Timothy B. Schmit studio album, Day By Day, is excellent. It feels like - consciously or not - he's written a complete career overview. There are songs that would fit snugly into every project he's been a main player in, from The New Breed to Leap Of Faith. Great stuff.

He's been wasted as a sideman, really.
John From Austin
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #1633 on: May 20, 2022, 04:27:07 PM »

A small Eagles aside:

The new Timothy B. Schmit studio album, Day By Day, is excellent. It feels like - consciously or not - he's written a complete career overview. There are songs that would fit snugly into every project he's been a main player in, from The New Breed to Leap Of Faith. Great stuff.

It was a very pleasant surprise to hear him sing "Peaceful Easy Feeling" last night. He really made it his own. I assume they previously gave that one to Deacon Frey, who bowed out of this tour.
wayne stote
Many thanks for the Doobies advice

« Reply #1634 on: May 21, 2022, 11:21:22 PM »

A small Eagles aside:

It was a very pleasant surprise to hear him sing "Peaceful Easy Feeling" last night. He really made it his own. I assume they previously gave that one to Deacon Frey, who bowed out of this tour.

I can imagine him singing Peaceful Easy Feeling well.

If you get a chance to have a listen, his last three solo records - Expando, Leap Of Faith and Day By Day - are really strong. He did a short UK tour in support of Expando and I managed to catch a show in Manchester. He was terrific. A lovely mix of solo, Poco and eagles material, with the odd interesting cover version thrown in. I live in hope - no doubt, forlornly - of another jaunt over here at some point.
garrypbrooks

« Reply #1635 on: May 22, 2022, 10:20:43 AM »

Saw Show of Hands with the Track Dogs at Wimborne Tivoli. Verry, very good.
After 30 years of constant touring, SofH excellent as ever, still writing new songs and finding ways of freshening up old ones.
And I'll be interested in seeing The Track Dogs by themselves next time they tour
PJayBe

« Reply #1636 on: May 23, 2022, 03:28:27 PM »

Great night Saturday with (occasionally Renaissance influenced) Welsh proggers Magenta in Newbury.  Yet another two year old gig rolling around!
PeteD
They choose the path where no one goes...Gercha!

« Reply #1637 on: May 29, 2022, 11:16:11 PM »

Spent the day at the Radio 1 Big Weekend in Coventry today. I am a long way from the Radio 1 demographic and most of the acts did nothing for me, but as it was a short walk from home for me and the tickets were cheap I took the opportunity to go. The one act I wanted to see who I discovered a few months ago were Wet Leg. They didn't disappoint. Great songs with clever lyrics. They are are destined to be big I think. George Ezra was very good as well.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #1638 on: May 30, 2022, 09:38:37 AM »

Spent the day at the Radio 1 Big Weekend in Coventry today. I am a long way from the Radio 1 demographic and most of the acts did nothing for me, but as it was a short walk from home for me and the tickets were cheap I took the opportunity to go. The one act I wanted to see who I discovered a few months ago were Wet Leg. They didn't disappoint. Great songs with clever lyrics. They are are destined to be big I think. George Ezra was very good as well.

Fairly certain they're already big.  First album Number One etc....  I keep reading about them...must have a listen myself.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #1639 on: May 31, 2022, 08:04:09 AM »

John Mclaughlin and 4th Dimension last night in Manchester... Superb. Age does not appear to affect John. Star for me was bass guitarist Etienne Mbappe, who was jaw-droppingly good, though drummer Ranjit Barot and keyboardist (and occasional 2nd drummer) Gary Husband were pretty damn fine, too.

Flobbadob!
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 103   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: