TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 29, 2024, 05:21:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 104   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recent gigs  (Read 820719 times)
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #1540 on: December 09, 2021, 04:04:48 PM »

Incidentally, along with a copy of the new album, I bought an 'E.P' from 1998, which I wasn't familiar with - David Hughes and Chris Leslie performing 6 Christmas songs. I wonder if this was what prompted them to form St Agnes Fountain in the first place. I've only had a chance to listen to the opening track so far (God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen) which sounds almost note for note like the Aggies version from their debut album. This might be stuff that people are already well aware of, but it was new to me.

Exactly Mick… David asked Chris to play, liked it and asked the ladies to join and the rest is history, fabulous.
I am putting them on with Farnsfield Acoustic near the end of the tour and can’t wait, just hope everyone stays safe. It’ll be different without David Hughes but sure they will get us into the Xmas spirit as usual.
Glad you enjoyed it!

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Peter Allen

« Reply #1541 on: December 12, 2021, 08:53:50 PM »

My first live gig for 2 years and it's the Albion Christmas Band at the Ropery Hall in Barton last night
Brilliant fun , all 5 including a guest seemed to enjoy it , Simon Nicol in particular seemed to relish the chance to deliver music in a live setting  = how it's meant to be heard
Ashley ever the gentleman was happy to sign the double LP I bought at the interval ,

I love this show , Kellie is a great singer , Ashley plays the electric bass despite everyone else using acoustics and Simon Care drives the up tempo material

For me it's everything I want from a small acoustic act , and it includes 2 legends from the beginning of Fairport
The venue is superb , staff made you feel at home , safe and welcome , despite the restrictions
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #1542 on: December 13, 2021, 08:52:16 AM »

My first live gig for 2 years and it's the Albion Christmas Band at the Ropery Hall in Barton last night
Brilliant fun , all 5 including a guest seemed to enjoy it , Simon Nicol in particular seemed to relish the chance to deliver music in a live setting  = how it's meant to be heard
Ashley ever the gentleman was happy to sign the double LP I bought at the interval ,

I love this show , Kellie is a great singer , Ashley plays the electric bass despite everyone else using acoustics and Simon Care drives the up tempo material

For me it's everything I want from a small acoustic act , and it includes 2 legends from the beginning of Fairport
The venue is superb , staff made you feel at home , safe and welcome , despite the restrictions

Which was....?

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Peter Allen

« Reply #1543 on: December 13, 2021, 09:02:53 AM »

Which was...?

Ashley's lad , Blair

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1544 on: December 13, 2021, 10:46:08 AM »

Which was...?

Ashley's lad , Blair

For the whole gig?

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Peter Allen

« Reply #1545 on: December 13, 2021, 03:20:57 PM »

Blair joined in for a couple of  numbers  just before the interval and again at the end of the set
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #1546 on: December 17, 2021, 07:21:04 PM »

Genesis (Phil, Mike, Tony, friends and family) at the TD Garden in Boston, Massachusetts, December 15!

I thoroughly enjoyed my first (and very likely only) Genesis concert. The sound and the visuals were fantastic. Phil, of course, sat for the whole show and it seems as though the keys have been lowered considerably. None of that matters because I felt like I experienced a small part of music history. They played one further show at the Garden, and I believe they then permanently left the U.S. I do recommend seeing them on their planned European/UK jaunt this spring.

P.S. Nic Collins is a fantastic drummer and a very handsome young man. I think he may go far.
John From Austin
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #1547 on: January 27, 2022, 04:28:14 PM »

Martin Barre with Special Guest Clive Bunker, 50th Anniversary of Aqualung Tour, Sam's Burger Joint and Music Hall, San Antonio, Texas, January 26, 2022!

This was an amazing show. I never had the opportunity to see MB with JT, so I made the pilgrimage to San Antonio. He is a bona fide guitar hero, with a bottomless supply of breathtaking licks. I realize I had only heard a small fraction of what he can do, by listening to the records. And Clive played one of the best drum solos I've ever heard. Again, a true giant on his instrument. He has a great band, as well, as I'm sure many of you know. In spite of the name, Sam's is a sophisticated listening room and it was packed with about 250 souls. A great time was had by all.

* Martin Barre.JPG (171.89 KB, 480x640 - viewed 698 times.)

* Clive Bunker.jpg (133.26 KB, 640x480 - viewed 727 times.)
Adam
I'm looking at you, Cool Cat!
Folkcorp Guru

I'm a llama!

« Reply #1548 on: January 27, 2022, 09:02:23 PM »

Martin Barre with Special Guest Clive Bunker, 50th Anniversary of Aqualung Tour, Sam's Burger Joint and Music Hall, San Antonio, Texas, January 26, 2022!

This was an amazing show. I never had the opportunity to see MB with JT, so I made the pilgrimage to San Antonio. He is a bona fide guitar hero, with a bottomless supply of breathtaking licks. I realize I had only heard a small fraction of what he can do, by listening to the records. And Clive played one of the best drum solos I've ever heard. Again, a true giant on his instrument. He has a great band, as well, as I'm sure many of you know. In spite of the name, Sam's is a sophisticated listening room and it was packed with about 250 souls. A great time was had by all.

I really enjoyed his set the last time he played Cropredy; hopefully I’ll get to see some UK shows later this year. Much as I love Jethro Tull, I don’t think I’ll go to any shows on this tour as Ian’s live voice is just too shot. Sounds fine on record, and the new Tull album is out tomorrow, which I’m looking forward to.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1549 on: January 28, 2022, 06:52:12 AM »

I really enjoyed his set the last time he played Cropredy; hopefully I’ll get to see some UK shows later this year. Much as I love Jethro Tull, I don’t think I’ll go to any shows on this tour as Ian’s live voice is just too shot. Sounds fine on record, and the new Tull album is out tomorrow, which I’m looking forward to.

Not on the two tracks from the album I've heard, it doesn't.

StephenB
something about the grinding beat
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Blackpudlian exiled in Ireland

An Sasanach is fearr in Eirinn

« Reply #1550 on: January 29, 2022, 10:37:01 PM »

Well I'm floating at the moment. My first live gig in 2 years was Fairport in Dublin's St. Patrick's Cathedral. It was such a joy just to see the boys walk on to a stage again (in a sublime setting), and they were in blistering form after a few forgivable early sound problems (IMO). Sloth was just sublime and sent a tingle down my spine, and MOTL was, well, emotional. I.often think i'd love to be one of the people there hearing them for the first time and being blown away by their musicianship.
Anyway, a well deserved couple of standing ovations capped it off nicely. How many sleeps to Cropredy?

One boxing match - what's that? A bout?
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #1551 on: January 30, 2022, 10:17:58 AM »

Well I'm floating at the moment. My first live gig in 2 years was Fairport in Dublin's St. Patrick's Cathedral. It was such a joy just to see the boys walk on to a stage again (in a sublime setting), and they were in blistering form after a few forgivable early sound problems (IMO). Sloth was just sublime and sent a tingle down my spine, and MOTL was, well, emotional. I.often think i'd love to be one of the people there hearing them for the first time and being blown away by their musicianship.
Anyway, a well deserved couple of standing ovations capped it off nicely. How many sleeps to Cropredy?

Sounds great! I'm seeing them on Thursday in Exeter and you've whetted my appetite good and proper!

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
David V B
Order from the other side of the living room

« Reply #1552 on: January 30, 2022, 12:38:37 PM »

Martyn Joseph at the Stables, MK. On fine form with a good mixture of old favourites and new material from the latest (excellent) 1960 album. Having seen him do a similar set back in November, the new material is bedding in really well and is very strong. Sad that we weren’t able to catch up with him because of COVID but perfectly understandable.

The really good news was that his Let Yourself Trust has now broken the £1/2m barrier for donations handed out in only seven years. A great achievement for just Martyn and Justine.
John From Austin
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #1553 on: February 18, 2022, 07:47:59 PM »

Kansas - 40th Anniversary of Point of Know Return, February 17, 2022 at ACL Live in Austin!

Great gig. They opened with a multi-song acoustic set, after which powerhouse drummer (think Neil Peart) Phil Ehart jumped in and the show took off like a jet engine.

Random impressions - David Ragsdale did his best Ric Sanders impression. Ronnie Platt learned his stage moves from School of Rock. Pristine three-part harmonies courtesy of Ronnie, bassist Billy Greer, and virtuosic keyboardist Tom Brislin. A more robust songbook than I recalled. Guitarist Rich Williams is, like Martin Barre a couple of weeks ago, a true riffmeister of the 60s/70s school.

5 stars. John From Austin says check it out.
wayne stote
Many thanks for the Doobies advice

« Reply #1554 on: February 19, 2022, 10:26:36 AM »

Kansas - 40th Anniversary of Point of Know Return, February 17, 2022 at ACL Live in Austin!

Great gig. They opened with a multi-song acoustic set, after which powerhouse drummer (think Neil Peart) Phil Ehart jumped in and the show took off like a jet engine.

Random impressions - David Ragsdale did his best Ric Sanders impression. Ronnie Platt learned his stage moves from School of Rock. Pristine three-part harmonies courtesy of Ronnie, bassist Billy Greer, and virtuosic keyboardist Tom Brislin. A more robust songbook than I recalled. Guitarist Rich Williams is, like Martin Barre a couple of weeks ago, a true riffmeister of the 60s/70s school.

5 stars. John From Austin says check it out.

Well, that's just persuaded me to buy tickets for their London show, next November. Smiley
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1555 on: February 22, 2022, 10:54:49 PM »

Just back in the hotel after a highly charged couple of hours in the company of Van der Graaf Generator at the Bridgewater Hall.  I can't quite believe what I just saw, not least the fact that they encored with Refugees.  I punched the air as it started, and then quietly sobbed.  One of the very best concerts I have ever witnessed.  

Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Loc: South Oxon

Block and Chip

« Reply #1556 on: February 22, 2022, 11:01:52 PM »

Just back in the hotel after a highly charged couple of hours in the company of Van der Graaf Generator at the Bridgewater Hall.  I can't quite believe what I just saw, not least the fact that they encored with Refugees.  I punched the air as it started, and then quietly sobbed.  One of the very best concerts I have ever witnessed.  

We find ourselves in Manchester at the moment. We trundled past Bridgewater Hall on the tram this afternoon, and saw posters up for the gig. I thought, dammit! Had no idea we'd have had the chance to go. Very glad to have seen them at Beautiful Days last summer though, and good to hear they were on form tonight.

You've got questions, we've got assumptions
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1557 on: February 22, 2022, 11:09:31 PM »

We find ourselves in Manchester at the moment. We trundled past Bridgewater Hall on the tram this afternoon, and saw posters up for the gig. I thought, dammit! Had no idea we'd have had the chance to go. Very glad to have seen them at Beautiful Days last summer though, and good to hear they were on form tonight.

There were plenty of tickets available too.  You silly peeps!

DarrenWilliams

Loc: St Helens

« Reply #1558 on: February 22, 2022, 11:16:40 PM »

I was there too. Very new to vdgg. Are they always like that?? Astonishing.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1559 on: February 23, 2022, 06:09:20 AM »

I was there too. Very new to vdgg. Are they always like that?? Astonishing.

Well, I've never seen them live before but, um, yeah!  A privilege.

Setlist here:  https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/van-der-graaf-generator/2022/the-bridgewater-hall-manchester-england-b8859d2.html?fbclid=IwAR07l7NOdGuGo6kdYH9GYHugTpvW16OgN3zWzCoeeA_lBz1UczzteRe8fNk

Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 104   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: