TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 20, 2024, 12:56:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 109   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fairport Chatter  (Read 1085774 times)
DarrenWilliams

Loc: St Helens

« Reply #1520 on: January 07, 2021, 02:49:18 PM »

The best performance (if not best then definitely hovering in the top 3) of WKWTTG is Chris & Kellie While's from Cropredy 2008. They just "get" it completely...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8R-Gb0t6T4

There was an online only release of WKWTTG featuring Chris and Kellie recorded at Southport on the Wintour, possibly also 2008?
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #1521 on: January 07, 2021, 05:36:19 PM »

Indeed, and I purchased it. Sadly, I somehow managed to lose the downloaded audio file.

Flobbadob!
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #1522 on: January 07, 2021, 09:14:50 PM »

There was a Radio 4 programme a few years ago featuring various singers' versions of the song, with some quite heart-rending stories, as I recall.

It may be on BBC Sounds somewhere.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
blagden
Money for
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: South God's Own Country

I am a rebel - whilst ever my wife will let me be!

« Reply #1523 on: January 07, 2021, 10:08:46 PM »

There was a Radio 4 programme a few years ago featuring various singers' versions of the song, with some quite heart-rending stories, as I recall.

It may be on BBC Sounds somewhere.

Programme may have been called Soul Music?
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #1524 on: January 08, 2021, 05:24:34 AM »

There's this, but I don't think it's the one I was thinking of.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #1525 on: January 15, 2021, 05:24:37 PM »

I’m having a DVD clear out. Heads up on a trio of FC oldies probably not on Netflix. http://ebay.us/GYkwxl?cmpnId=5338273189

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #1526 on: January 16, 2021, 02:22:51 PM »

I’m having a DVD clear out. Heads up on a trio of FC oldies probably not on Netflix. http://ebay.us/GYkwxl?cmpnId=5338273189

I'd humbly suggest you're being a bit generous with the postage charges?

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1527 on: January 28, 2021, 01:51:45 PM »

I'm having a post cancer diagnosis inspired rationalisation of 'all of my sh1t'.  To this end, I'm getting rid of a fairly substantial percentage of my Fairport and related CD collection.  If anyone has any gaps they want filled, drop me a line.  I'll probably put a list up, or I might just go straight to eBay.  Includes a few rarities (a few signed Jude things including Gathering the Threads etc).  Anyway...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1528 on: February 02, 2021, 10:02:52 AM »

I've been lucky enough to be treated to a sneak preview of a fabulous nearly hour long podcast interview with Simon by my old mucker from Kentish days, renowned luthier, Alister Atkin (Atkin guitars).  It should be out in the next month.  It's a genuinely interesting interview, with some fascinating reflections from Simon.

Peter Allen

« Reply #1529 on: February 02, 2021, 10:49:22 AM »

David
Really sorry to see your recent post , hope all is as well as it can be, health wise

Please let us all know where to find the Simon interview , when it's available , sounds a bit more interesting than the usual routine chat about the next album/book/tour

Peter
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1530 on: February 02, 2021, 11:34:31 AM »

David
Really sorry to see your recent post , hope all is as well as it can be, health wise

Please let us all know where to find the Simon interview , when it's available , sounds a bit more interesting than the usual routine chat about the next album/book/tour

Peter

Thanks, Peter - yes, I certainly will do.  There are a whole series to be released...just listening to one with Boo Hewerdine as we speak.

Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #1531 on: February 11, 2021, 11:06:23 AM »

Has anyone come across a Fairport live recording from 1970 which has surfaced recently, entitled As Long As It Seems Fit: https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08RJXZLHN?  Listening to the samples, it is obviously a bootleg of some sort, and not great quality.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1532 on: February 11, 2021, 11:12:20 AM »

Has anyone come across a Fairport live recording from 1970 which has surfaced recently, entitled As Long As It Seems Fit: https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08RJXZLHN?  Listening to the samples, it is obviously a bootleg of some sort, and not great quality.

Looks like a radio broadcast 'grey area' (Chicago '70 WHPK) radio release to me

Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #1533 on: February 11, 2021, 07:58:13 PM »

Just listening to it via Amazon music, the sound quality is reminiscent of trying to listen to Radio Luxemburg on an old am radio while "studying" for my O levels on a particularly bad night on the north sea.  I cant imagine why anyone would shell out their hard earned for poorly recorded live versions of old favourites which are hardly in short supply.
   That said the version of Matty is amazing, not a ******* banjo in the building.

The Dude abides
wayne stote
Many thanks for the Doobies advice

« Reply #1534 on: February 11, 2021, 11:26:05 PM »

Just listening to it via Amazon music, the sound quality is reminiscent of trying to listen to Radio Luxemburg on an old am radio while "studying" for my O levels on a particularly bad night on the north sea.  I cant imagine why anyone would shell out their hard earned for poorly recorded live versions of old favourites which are hardly in short supply.
   That said the version of Matty is amazing, not a ******* banjo in the building.

Think I'd miss the banjo, these days,  Smiley
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #1535 on: March 12, 2021, 12:15:45 PM »

I'll be playing Ruth Notman's version of Si Tu Dois Partir on my next radio show. I didn't know how or why Fairport came to record it but found this account on the Mainly Norfolk website

The story goes that Fairport Convention was playing a gig at the Middle Earth and thought it would be amusing to do Dylan's song in French cajun style, so the band called for volunteers from the audience to help with the translation. Richard Thompson: “About three people turned up, so it was really written by committee, and consequently ended up not very cajun, French or Dylan.” This version was first released as a single Si Tu Dois Partir / Genesis Hall with Dave Swarbrick playing fiddle, Trevor Lucas triangle and Richard accordion. The “percussion” break towards the end of the song is the sound of a pile of chairs falling over.

https://mainlynorfolk.info/fairport/songs/situdoispartir.html

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #1536 on: March 12, 2021, 12:52:58 PM »

I'll be playing Ruth Notman's version of Si Tu Dois Partir on my next radio show. I didn't know how or why Fairport came to record it but found this account on the Mainly Norfolk website

The story goes that Fairport Convention was playing a gig at the Middle Earth and thought it would be amusing to do Dylan's song in French cajun style, so the band called for volunteers from the audience to help with the translation. Richard Thompson: “About three people turned up, so it was really written by committee, and consequently ended up not very cajun, French or Dylan.” This version was first released as a single Si Tu Dois Partir / Genesis Hall with Dave Swarbrick playing fiddle, Trevor Lucas triangle and Richard accordion. The “percussion” break towards the end of the song is the sound of a pile of chairs falling over.

https://mainlynorfolk.info/fairport/songs/situdoispartir.html
Nice bit of trivia! thanks for posting that

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #1537 on: March 12, 2021, 02:44:16 PM »

When Fairport re-recorded it on Over The Next Hill, they spliced in the chairs falling over, which I always thought was a nice touch.  I think there's a glass falling off and breaking in perfect time too!

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #1538 on: March 12, 2021, 05:31:43 PM »

I think it was only the bottle that fell over, at least according to Joe Boyd in his introduction as heard on The Cropredy Box. The chairs were stacked to simulate a washboard, with a milk bottle on top of them to simulate a cowbell. Martin Lamble played the chairs, and the bottle crashed down exactly in time, which was also replicated on the Over The Next Hill version. But it might be one of those tales that has many versions!

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #1539 on: March 28, 2021, 10:21:19 PM »

Something that has occurred to me recently as there is so little concert footage of Sandy with Fairport is what did she do during jigs and feels type instrumentals, did she play rhythm guitar a piano line of just take the opportunity for a rest?

DW
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 109   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: