TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 29, 2024, 03:35:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 109   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fairport Chatter  (Read 1073482 times)
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #1040 on: February 14, 2019, 10:41:17 AM »

Show of Hands have done a few of these.

Complimentary use of onboard bicycles

I know these boats are on the long side, but....

Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #1041 on: February 14, 2019, 10:45:51 AM »

Show of Hands have done a few of these.

Complimentary use of onboard bicycles

I know these boats are on the long side, but....

Post of the day!!

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #1042 on: February 14, 2019, 10:49:29 AM »

River Cruising with Fairport anyone?

https://spark.adobe.com/page/IrNMPXTLQKOqm/

DW
That has the potential to be fantastic!

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Malcolm
crazily brandishing my swat
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Powys

« Reply #1043 on: February 14, 2019, 11:03:04 AM »

Anyone going on this, be sure to do the walking tour of Koblenz, maximum enjoyment of which can only be achieved by a visit to Das alte Brauhaus in the Old Town!!
Shankly (Peter)
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Liverpool, England

« Reply #1044 on: February 14, 2019, 02:58:21 PM »

DW

It does look great doesn't it! Oh for a lottery win. (Mind you, it'd help to actually buy a ticket)
AdrianW
always good to have a target to miss
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: South Cheshire

"The weird bloke"

« Reply #1045 on: February 14, 2019, 03:19:59 PM »

DW

It does look great doesn't it! Oh for a lottery win. (Mind you, it'd help to actually buy a ticket)

I could have bought a ticket with what I wasted on the lottery until I saw the light.

-- Adrian
I cried for madder music and for stronger wine,
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #1046 on: February 14, 2019, 03:36:31 PM »

DW

Smiley Grin

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #1047 on: February 14, 2019, 06:08:14 PM »

God help us all from the (Folk-) Rock and roll cruise ships.... How utterly depressing  Smiley

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #1048 on: February 14, 2019, 07:04:19 PM »

God help us all from the (Folk-) Rock and roll cruise ships.... How utterly depressing  Smiley

Why do you say that?

Born to Run (but not very fast)
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1049 on: February 14, 2019, 07:15:32 PM »

Why do you say that?

I loathe the whole corporatisation of, well, everything actually.  Pre gig VIP meet and greets are vile enough...but cruises for rich people to go and show how rich they are whilst hob nobbing with bands?  Nah.  Let's just say it's not for me.  Each to their own, though...!

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #1050 on: February 14, 2019, 07:16:49 PM »

Oh dear, dear, dear... what a thing to say!

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Bingers (Chris)
Folkcorp Guru

Trying to be young!

« Reply #1051 on: February 14, 2019, 07:50:50 PM »

Why do you say that?

I loathe the whole corporatisation of, well, everything actually.  Pre gig VIP meet and greets are vile enough...but cruises for rich people to go and show how rich they are whilst hob nobbing with bands?  Nah.  Let's just say it's not for me.  Each to their own, though...!

Errm OK fair enough, I respect your view but have you ever been on a big cruise ship? And it’s no longer a rich persons holiday as most work out similar in price terms to staying in a 4*  hotel in terms of price per day! Plus the added “special guest” cruises do not cost any more than a “normal “ cruise as you don’t have to go to any shows etc if you don’t want to. But as you say - each to his own

delfini (Diane)
I've now got 3 pairs
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

.......watching feathers fall from angels....

« Reply #1052 on: February 14, 2019, 08:06:33 PM »

Ok, I respect your view, but I don’t agree with it at all.

I think it’s just a bit of fun. I don’t think it’s corporate at all - I really can’t see the chaps conforming to that extent - can anyone else who knows them? Or someone who has had contact with them recently?

I’ve looked at prices and other river cruises, especially the Rhein, (for example Viking river cruises who are widely advertising at the moment)  top the  prices of the FC cruise even before things like single supplement, trips and so on are added.

I’ve tried to be balanced about my reply rather than make sweeping generalisations.

and all I really know is that kindness is better than any sort of terror, any kind of spite (Martyn Joseph)
blagden
Money for
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: South God's Own Country

I am a rebel - whilst ever my wife will let me be!

« Reply #1053 on: February 14, 2019, 08:33:03 PM »

It's not compulsory!
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1054 on: February 14, 2019, 09:22:32 PM »

Why do you say that?

Errm OK fair enough, I respect your view but have you ever been on a big cruise ship? And it’s no longer a rich persons holiday as most work out similar in price terms to staying in a 4*  hotel in terms of price per day! Plus the added “special guest” cruises do not cost any more than a “normal “ cruise as you don’t have to go to any shows etc if you don’t want to. But as you say - each to his own

Wild horses couldn't make me set foot on a big cruise ship.  They genuinely disgust me (in an environmental sense) and I simply don't get the concept as 'a holiday'.  Why on earth would anyone want to 'get away from it' by spending time cooped up with thousands of others? (That's a rhetorical question btw).  I'd be stressed out of my head by it all...it would be like heading to a shopping mall to relax.  I realise these river cruisers aren't as bad as the sea ones, but I'm still no fan.  And, sorry, but the best part of £2k for a week away is a sh1t load of cash.  Or it is in the world I inhabit anyway, which is very different from that of much of the rest of the Universe, I'm sure.  And I'm also sure, we're both quite delighted about that...  Wink Don't take personal umbrage (for yourself or on behalf of anybody else).  This place is all about opinions.  I'm just sharing mine.

Field 7 is Heaven (Trev)
Field 7 deserter

Loc: Gogledd Cymru

I know where my towel is

« Reply #1055 on: February 14, 2019, 09:49:36 PM »

Very nice place Cochem,we go their quite often when staying down river at Bernkastle.
Bingers (Chris)
Folkcorp Guru

Trying to be young!

« Reply #1056 on: February 14, 2019, 10:09:07 PM »

Why do you say that?

Wild horses couldn't make me set foot on a big cruise ship.  They genuinely disgust me (in an environmental sense) and I simply don't get the concept as 'a holiday'.  Why on earth would anyone want to 'get away from it' by spending time cooped up with thousands of others? (That's a rhetorical question btw).  I'd be stressed out of my head by it all...it would be like heading to a shopping mall to relax.  I realise these river cruisers aren't as bad as the sea ones, but I'm still no fan.  And, sorry, but the best part of £2k for a week away is a sh1t load of cash.  Or it is in the world I inhabit anyway, which is very different from that of much of the rest of the Universe, I'm sure.  And I'm also sure, we're both quite delighted about that...  Wink Don't take personal umbrage (for yourself or on behalf of anybody else).  This place is all about opinions.  I'm just sharing mine.

I’m not taking umbrage at your view but I just cannot understand how anybody can form an opinion on anything without having experienced it personally just once. I’m talking big cruise ships here not river cruises. I’ve met many people who take the same view as you but have no ide of how a cruise holiday operates or is organised. It’s like saying you don’t like festivals when you have never even been to a gig - just an analogy but I think you know what I’m saying....sorry rant over

John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #1057 on: February 14, 2019, 11:09:15 PM »

Going into my first and only cruise a couple of years ago, I was uncertain about the whole experience.  I was very pleasantly surprised by everything - great food, convenience, relative affordability, etc.  We were able to mingle as little or as much as we wanted to, and we never got bored.  I also got to see Alaskan glaciers, humpback whales and orcas, and the space needle in Seattle.

I'm looking forward to my next one, wherever and whenever it may be.  I don't know if I could persuade Mrs. J From A to cruise the Rhine with Fairport.  We'll see.  Wink
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1058 on: February 15, 2019, 06:37:15 AM »

I’m not taking umbrage at your view but I just cannot understand how anybody can form an opinion on anything without having experienced it personally just once. I’m talking big cruise ships here not river cruises. I’ve met many people who take the same view as you but have no ide of how a cruise holiday operates or is organised. It’s like saying you don’t like festivals when you have never even been to a gig - just an analogy but I think you know what I’m saying....sorry rant over

That's not a rant  Wink Smiley You're absolutely right though, Chris.  I have this morning completely changed my mind and decided that, after all, I am merely ambivalent about nuclear war.  Bring it on.  This indecision is killing me.

Shankly (Peter)
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Liverpool, England

« Reply #1059 on: February 15, 2019, 08:36:19 AM »

I'd agree about the idea of big sea cruises, partly because of the idea of being cooped up for long periods with people I may not like doesn't really appeal, but also because I start to feel a bit seasick on the ferry to Birkenhead, so venturing onto the open sea terrifies me. I could cope with a river cruise - the sight of the river banks on either side is comforting and the likelihood of icebergs or hurricanes are fairly remote. I'd rather fancy the idea of a few days in the company of Fairport, but I noticed that the 'cheapest' tickets (at £1300 pp) are already sold out - I doubt there'd be much change out of five grand after flights and spending money was added in. A bit too much for a poor Civil Servant like me.
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 109   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: