TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 01:59:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 109   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fairport Chatter  (Read 1072732 times)
Dubai Danny
my MIL likes it loud

Loc: Here

« Reply #860 on: August 06, 2017, 01:36:27 PM »

Happy Birthday Joe Boyd, 75 today.  Smiley

Before Peggy got pudgy! (I hadn't seen FC for 10 years when I went to the Union Chapel gig in May, so his increased padding was startling).
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #861 on: September 26, 2017, 12:31:19 PM »

Film director Paul Greengrass chose MOTL as one of his records on Desert Island Discs, it was a great episode with music ranging from FC to Kathleem Ferrier via the Beatles, Dylan, Mozart and BB King, Springsteen and Maurice Jarre.

DW
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #862 on: October 26, 2017, 07:17:53 PM »

The Robert Plant interview in the recent Uncut is worth a look. Touches briefly on the Troubadour jam, RT and Sandy.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hereford. UK

In nīz bogzarad

« Reply #863 on: November 02, 2017, 08:42:24 AM »

Happy Birthday, Peggy. 70 today.  Smiley

A Brittunculus is not such a bad thing to be.
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #864 on: November 09, 2017, 09:06:07 AM »

I have been seeing the usual chat on f book sites re who should play Cropredy next year.
The usual suspects are mentioned.......
I just wondered that after the 50 th anniversary of the band is this a time to change the focus of the festival.
Still have a couple of headline acts on the thurs and fri but to promote up and coming folk acts and acts from other genres.
I already know I can't make Saturday , cos we have a gig at another fest and playing will always outweigh watching but the Fringe at the Brase already looks very strong. More a festival in itself than ever, so I will be at the fringe.
So a slight revolution ( if that's not a non sequiter) for the Main stage.
I would love to see Luke Jackson, Ange Hardy, Lucy Ward, Phantom Voices, John Palmer Band , on the Cropredy Stage. All acts keeping music live.
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #865 on: November 09, 2017, 09:13:36 AM »

I have been seeing the usual chat on f book sites re who should play Cropredy next year.
I just wondered that after the 50 th anniversary of the band is this a time to change the focus of the festival.
Still have a couple of headline acts on the thurs and fri but to promote up and coming folk acts and acts from other genres.
I already know I can't make Saturday , cos we have a gig at another fest and playing will always outweigh watching but the Fringe at the Brase already looks very strong. More a festival in itself than ever, so I will be at the fringe.
I would love to see Luke Jackson, Ange Hardy, Lucy Ward, Phantom Voices, John Palmer Band , on the Cropredy Stage. All acts keeping music live.

But as ever the question would be will that approach guarantee the 14,000 (or whatever the breakdown is) tickets they need to sell to be viable?

DW
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #866 on: November 09, 2017, 09:56:44 AM »

But as ever the question would be will that approach guarantee the 14,000 (or whatever the breakdown is) tickets they need to sell to be viable?

DW

Almost certainly not  Undecided

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
hendo (Dave)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #867 on: November 09, 2017, 06:11:15 PM »

I understand but I did say retain the headliners on thurs and fri to maintain numbers.
Hurricane (Dan)
Do you think it might be worth 'owt?

Loc: Manchester

« Reply #868 on: November 10, 2017, 08:54:03 PM »

Surely it makes commercial sense for Fairport Convention to headline the festival for as long as they want to remain a viable, headline touring band?

My wife and kids are leaving me because of my obsession with horse racing. They're at the gate now. And they're off!
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #869 on: November 10, 2017, 09:52:01 PM »

Surely it makes commercial sense for Fairport Convention to headline the festival for as long as they want to remain a viable, headline touring band?

Of course they will.

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
hendo (Dave)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #870 on: November 11, 2017, 08:25:33 AM »

Sorry Dan. I wasn't suggesting they didn't.
I assumed Fairports will play their fest for as long as they wish.
Whether they continue to headline, in yrs to come, will be up to them
Shane (Skirky)
Global Moderator

« Reply #871 on: November 30, 2017, 10:58:03 AM »

A happy morning browsing Discogs to see what all those second hand LPs I’ve been gathering are (allegedly) worth. Couple of nice surprises. Inspired by hearing that version of “The Lark...” on ‘The Quiet Joys of Brotherhood’ compilation where Simon hit a chord, and his repeat pedal, and they played over that. What an incredible performamce, and what an amazing band that line up was!

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
Jim G
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Bridport ,Dorset

« Reply #872 on: January 23, 2018, 04:53:10 PM »

Just noticed that Fairport are playing one of the Sidmouth Folk Week specials on Thursday 2nd August - not seen the gig mentioned elsewhere on here (probably is) and its not listed on the bands website yet. Anyway here's the link.

http://sidmouthfolkweek.co.uk/pre-festival-specials/
Jim G
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Bridport ,Dorset

« Reply #873 on: January 27, 2018, 10:25:19 PM »

The Electric Palace in Bridport have just announced Fairport are playing there on 8th June 2018 https://www.electricpalace.org.uk/events/event/fairport-convention/  
Shane (Skirky)
Global Moderator

« Reply #874 on: February 14, 2018, 07:30:26 PM »

Lalla Rookh, Greenwich.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #875 on: February 14, 2018, 09:30:45 PM »

The Electric Palace in Bridport have just announced Fairport are playing there on 8th June 2018 https://www.electricpalace.org.uk/events/event/fairport-convention/  

There are many May/June dates in the Wintour programme,so ought to be on the FC website too

Shane (Skirky)
Global Moderator

« Reply #876 on: March 13, 2018, 12:07:27 AM »

Anything in the tour programme about a new album?

PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #877 on: March 13, 2018, 08:06:17 AM »

There was mention of a live cd from last year's Cropredy set.

Flobbadob!
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #878 on: March 14, 2018, 06:59:58 AM »

While reading a potted online bio of Dave "Clem" Clempson - as I'm planning to go and see JCM (Jon Hiseman, Clem, Mark Clarke) next month, I read that following the split of Bakerloo, Clem and Cozy Powell planned to for a new band - recruiting one David Pegg on bass.  Clem was then approached to join Colosseum, so the band never happened, but all three went on to exciting pastures new - Jeff Beck and Fairport (& Tull).

Flobbadob!
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #879 on: March 14, 2018, 07:08:26 AM »

While reading a potted online bio of Dave "Clem" Clempson - as I'm planning to go and see JCM (Jon Hiseman, Clem, Mark Clarke) next month, I read that following the split of Bakerloo, Clem and Cozy Powell planned to for a new band - recruiting one David Pegg on bass.  Clem was then approached to join Colosseum, so the band never happened, but all three went on to exciting pastures new - Jeff Beck and Fairport (& Tull).

Interesting.  Never heard that, although Cozy does play on Harvey Andrews' Writer of Sings album, I think (from memory) with Peggy.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 109   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: