TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 27, 2024, 11:13:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Competition to win copy of the next album  (Read 64186 times)
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #140 on: June 24, 2011, 02:52:49 PM »

Has anyone ever heard a remake (particularly one by a later version of the same band) that is better than the original?

If I could bring this back on topic  Tongue Not quite what you are talking about here David, but I had mentioned earlier in this thread Oysterband's Oxford Girl and Other Stories, which reworked a few recent songs in their repertoire, along with some older songs, in what I thought was a refreshing way. Maybe not better....but different. I also wonder if we are writing this whole concept off too soon. Is it not possible the band might throw a couple of surprises our way? They could go the guest singer route, they could just do it straightforward a la Tam Lin and Polly On The Shore (which I agree did little to the original versions). Or maybe, just maybe the band will really shake things up and alter the songs completely (certainly what I would hope for).

And Gub, I agree with your point (nice statistical analysis by the way) about the time frame the chosen songs have originally appeared in, versus the lack of say, anything by Chris Leslie. I approached the contest as more of a oh why not, than a deep thought exercise because I suspected these were the type of results we would get. I was hoping for some more obscure material revisited,and will just hold out hope that the guys come up with something different
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 03:39:30 PM by Barry » Logged

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Malcolm
crazily brandishing my swat
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Powys

« Reply #141 on: June 24, 2011, 02:56:56 PM »

The best re-working of an old song they have done recently was Chris singing Reynardine on stage IMHO.

Hairs on the back of the neck job (mine, not the werefox's Cheesy)
Henry Tompkins (Pete)
Guaranteed trouble
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: S.W. London

One man gathers what another man spills

« Reply #142 on: June 24, 2011, 06:55:09 PM »

If I could bring this back on topic  

Oh, do we have to?   I thought the other topic with Jules and Caz far more amusing!!   Tongue

No Left Turn Unstoned
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #143 on: June 24, 2011, 08:12:41 PM »

Drift on Pete! Lips Sealed

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #144 on: June 24, 2011, 09:38:18 PM »

And Glen Campbell's just called it a day.,....

i heard he was battling through the alzheimers and soldiering on, the current mrs Glen asked for a bit of leeway to be given if he has any senior moments

The Dude abides
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #145 on: June 24, 2011, 09:55:57 PM »

And Glen Campbell's just called it a day.,....

i heard he was battling through the alzheimers and soldiering on, the current mrs Glen asked for a bit of leeway to be given if he has any senior moments

Yes, he has a new album coming out and is embarking on a farewell tour. The man is 75 after all. He's probably entitled to a bit of a rest.
Hurricane (Dan)
Do you think it might be worth 'owt?

Loc: Manchester

« Reply #146 on: June 25, 2011, 11:40:30 AM »

Has anyone ever heard a remake (particularly one by a later version of the same band) that is better than the original?

I'm tempted to say (controversially) the Just Us version of Circle Sky by The Monkees, purely because you can actually hear the vocals unlike the original but otherwise no.

I thought my girlfriend was joking when she said she was leaving me because of my obsession with The Monkees.

Then I saw her face.

My wife and kids are leaving me because of my obsession with horse racing. They're at the gate now. And they're off!
Neil
About to blow
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Oregon

« Reply #147 on: June 25, 2011, 04:03:30 PM »

To get us all back on topic....

Chris singing Reynardine, the band performing Babbacombe Lee and the more recent versions of Who Knows Where The Time Goes have been praised here Along with a new album that may be the best they have done in a while this would indicate that once we see past our prejudices of which version of Fairport is the best, in our opinion, there may be a band who can look at the past and produce an interesting album.

It is however a very safe list, although any list of favored songs by a bands fans would be fairly predictable. I am voting for two songs only on the whole album, a jam fest with Sailors Life and Sloth.

Neil

Things change all the time, and they'll probably never be the same again. It's just the natural evolution of the human condition. Guy Clark
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #148 on: June 25, 2011, 05:42:08 PM »

I thought my girlfriend was joking when she said she was leaving me because of my obsession with The Monkees.

Then I saw her face.

Bwahahahahaha!!!   Grin

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
dooovall [Daniel]

Loc: Ohio

« Reply #149 on: June 30, 2011, 01:11:58 PM »

I sincerely hope Sloth and A Sailor's Life (reinterpreted by the current lineup) appear on the new studio album.
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #150 on: July 01, 2011, 07:12:12 PM »

ditto.

Well I never did..
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #151 on: July 01, 2011, 07:22:27 PM »

I sincerely hope Sloth and A Sailor's Life (reinterpreted by the current lineup) appear on the new studio album.

I'm afraid that sounds like a recipe for disaster to me...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #152 on: July 01, 2011, 07:29:26 PM »

I don't think it will happen but Sloth might be interesting. I am very fond of the Nicol/Swarb version on When We Were Very Young and I think a full band acoustic version based around that arrangement could work well.
dooovall [Daniel]

Loc: Ohio

« Reply #153 on: July 02, 2011, 02:41:24 AM »

I don't think it will happen but Sloth might be interesting. I am very fond of the Nicol/Swarb version on When We Were Very Young and I think a full band acoustic version based around that arrangement could work well.

An acoustic Sloth by the current band might be fun, but I'm hoping instead for a version with a two-and-a-half-minute solo by Dave Pegg on electric bass.
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #154 on: July 02, 2011, 08:47:37 AM »

acoustic sloths are ok for duos, i want to hear leccy guitars and bass solos as well and preferably taking at least 20 minutes out of the set

The Dude abides
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #155 on: July 02, 2011, 11:14:37 AM »

Liking this line of thinking Dooovall and Jim - more Peggy on the bass solos please - keep him away from those kippers and cider and set him to work.

Well I never did..
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #156 on: July 02, 2011, 01:17:48 PM »

acoustic sloths are ok for duos, i want to hear leccy guitars and bass solos as well and preferably taking at least 20 minutes out of the set

So do I but it ain't gonna happen with the current lineup and they are the ones recording this album.
Neil
About to blow
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #157 on: July 02, 2011, 02:38:56 PM »

So do I but it ain't gonna happen with the current lineup and they are the ones recording this album.

However add Chris and his love of prog, Ric's penchant for jazz rock, to the rest of the band without being over shadowed by guest heavy hitters who knows what may happen. A Sailor's Life would be interesting, maybe it can be a vinyl only release, Sloth side A with A Sailor's Life the B side.

Things change all the time, and they'll probably never be the same again. It's just the natural evolution of the human condition. Guy Clark
Henry Tompkins (Pete)
Guaranteed trouble
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: S.W. London

One man gathers what another man spills

« Reply #158 on: July 02, 2011, 07:25:10 PM »

However add Chris and his love of prog,

Is that statement a fact Neil?   If so, I'm surprised.

No Left Turn Unstoned
Neil
About to blow
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #159 on: July 03, 2011, 03:27:10 AM »

However add Chris and his love of prog,

Is that statement a fact Neil?   If so, I'm surprised.

Maybe an overstatement he has played on a Mostly Autumn album however.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: