TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 27, 2024, 07:23:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Competition to win copy of the next album  (Read 64182 times)
Bob Barrows
Give me time ... it will wear on me
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Auburn, MA USA

Bob

« on: May 17, 2011, 11:27:56 AM »

From the FC List (surprised it hasn't made it here yet).
Hi everyone!

I thought some of you might be interested in the following ;-)

"To celebrate their forty fifth year Fairport Convention are planning to
release a very special commemorative CD. The album will be a selection of a
dozen or so tracks from the top twenty tracks voted for by their fans. The
band will choose the songs to re-arrange and record for this special
compilation that will also form the basis of their set for the 2012 Winter
Tour.

"What's more, Fairport are offering copies of the album as prizes to five
lucky entrants whose track choices most closely match the band's final
selection. In the event of there being more than five closest matches the
names will be drawn at random"

Link: http://byspecialrequest.iconicmusic.com/

There are 285 tracks to choose from, so you'll not be stuck for options!

Cheers,

Alex.
I realize the idea behind the album might not be everyone's cuppa, but some good discussions were generated when SOH did something similar over at Longdogs.
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 11:43:19 AM »

From the FC List (surprised it hasn't made it here yet).

Quite a few of us have baled out of the list due to the really high noise to signal ratio.
Hi everyone!

I thought some of you might be interested in the following ;-)

"To celebrate their forty fifth year Fairport Convention are planning to
release a very special commemorative CD. The album will be a selection of a
dozen or so tracks from the top twenty tracks voted for by their fans. The
band will choose the songs to re-arrange and record for this special
compilation that will also form the basis of their set for the 2012 Winter
Tour.

"What's more, Fairport are offering copies of the album as prizes to five
lucky entrants whose track choices most closely match the band's final
selection. In the event of there being more than five closest matches the
names will be drawn at random"

Link: http://byspecialrequest.iconicmusic.com/

There are 285 tracks to choose from, so you'll not be stuck for options!

Cheers,

Alex.

A dozen from the top 20 as voted for by fans? Where's that vote going to take place then? As you say, 285 tracks, (if not more) of which favourites, most will be pre-1980 I reckon.

Anyway, there'll be a formula there. Summat like "a simon song", "a ric medley", "a chris song", "a peggy song", "a ralph song", "a sandy song", "a maart song", "another ric instrumental with chris", "a richard song", "a swarb song"... Then finishing with sloth & meet on the ledge.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Bob Barrows
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Bob

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 12:05:12 PM »

A dozen from the top 20 as voted for by fans? Where's that vote going to take place then?
Err ... follow the link in the announcement?
As you say, 285 tracks, (if not more) of which favourites, most will be pre-1980 I reckon.
You know your Fairport fans  Smiley
Anyway, there'll be a formula there. Summat like "a simon song", "a ric medley", "a chris song", "a peggy song", "a ralph song", "a sandy song", "a maart song", "another ric instrumental with chris", "a richard song", "a swarb song"... Then finishing with sloth & meet on the ledge.
Probably. So completely uninteresting to you, then? Smiley

I've voted for my top 20 - some difficult choices there I must say. My biggest issue with the way it's set up is there seems to be no chance to review one's choices after they are submitted. Don't make the mistake I did - copy the contents of that confirmation dialog to the clipboard (just press ctrl-c while it's being displayed) and paste it into Notepad or something. I didn't and much to my dismay, I was not redirected to a page that listed my choices. Maybe later I will try to reconstruct them using a fake address (I won't submit them, of course).
Andy
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 12:07:42 PM »

A dozen from the top 20 as voted for by fans? Where's that vote going to take place then?

Err ... follow the link in the announcement?

Good point. Thanks.

No, won't be entering.

JeremyRS
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 12:17:00 PM »

The Show of Hands one was a bit different.  A double CD, nicely packaged as a triple foldout with an attached, excellent booklet with notes on albums and lyrics, and one disc picked by them and one by Longdogs.  30 tracks in all.

Not so skinny, maybe not so free
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 12:17:52 PM »

I've entered! Bob - when you've made your choices and selected you get a showmessage pop up with your list on it. You can cancel and edit at that stage.

No formula, just chose my favourite FC songs. Does what it says on the tin and all that.  Smiley

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
fstix (Michael)

Loc: Adelaide, Australia

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 12:19:01 PM »

I voted a little while ago, and actually did get a page with my selections after I'd voted.

I like the idea of this - similar to what Steeleye did a few years back with Present, unfortunately the end result there was less than satisfying to many ears.  

In this case, the choices would have to favour the earlier material, presumably - I can't imagine too many people wanting re-recordings of tracks from the last 2 or 3 albums at least.  Just too recent to warrant it.   But it's good to have the option - it's also good to be able to request the more obscure material in the hope that others may too, to make the end result less predictable in that sense.

More like I am today than I ever have been before.
Bob Barrows
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Bob

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2011, 12:23:04 PM »

I've entered! Bob - when you've made your choices and selected you get a showmessage pop up with your list on it. You can cancel and edit at that stage.
Yes, but once you click submit - the only place those choices exist is one's memory (outside of the comp's database of course). There is no possibility of revisiting the site in a few days and refreshing one's memory - which is why I suggested copying the confirmation dialog to the clipboard before clicking OK.

I voted a little while ago, and actually did get a page with my selections after I'd voted.
When I clicked OK, I was presented with a "Thank You" page that did not list my submissions as I expected. Oh well

I like the idea of this - similar to what Steeleye did a few years back with Present, unfortunately the end result there was less than satisfying to many ears.  

In this case, the choices would have to favour the earlier material, presumably - I can't imagine too many people wanting re-recordings of tracks from the last 2 or 3 albums at least.  Just too recent to warrant it.   But it's good to have the option - it's also good to be able to request the more obscure material in the hope that others may too, to make the end result less predictable in that sense.
Yes, I was tempted to take this route myself, but of course, that would reduce my chances of winning the prize, wouldn't it.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2011, 12:25:26 PM »

Yes, but once you click submit - the only place those choices exist is one's memory (outside of the comp's database of course). There is no possibility of revisiting the site in a few days and refreshing one's memory - which is why I suggested copying the confirmation dialog to the clipboard before clicking OK.

Sorry misread your post - I did a print screen too and stored it on my PC for later.  Smiley

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2011, 01:26:24 PM »

No, won't be entering.

Not even as part of a concerted TAW effort to get "Limey's Lament" into the last twenty?  Cheesy

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2011, 01:28:50 PM »

No formula, just chose my favourite FC songs. Does what it says on the tin and all that.  Smiley

I just chose mine - that was fun!

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Andy
Global Moderator

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2011, 01:47:58 PM »

No, won't be entering.

Not even as part of a concerted TAW effort to get "Limey's Lament" into the last twenty?  Cheesy

Oh, ok then! Grin

Jan_
A jig, a melodeon and a smile
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2011, 01:56:07 PM »

What a great idea!  I included To Althea From Prison - would love to hear Chris sing that.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2011, 02:27:32 PM »

You know they are not going to do Sloth don't you, not even if it is the top choice. I'll have to think about this when I get home but I reckon I could pretty much predict the track listing now.

I also wonder about the point of this. Are the re recordings really going to replace the originals in anyone's affections?
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2011, 02:49:56 PM »

i'd rather like to see them use this lp as a chance to get some guest musicians, and not just the usual suspects, in to help out and, perhaps stir up a bit of a buzz about it.
 Percy would have to do a turn, Stevie Winwood, that sort of thing, big names.
 the sort of thing John Lee Hooker did 15 years ago with Ivan Morrison,Van Morrison now there's a thought , Albert Lee doing tokyo/the claw ok you've got my drift

The Dude abides
Neil
About to blow
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Oregon

« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2011, 02:51:30 PM »

Made my choices and I completely went with what I liked, no tactical voting here Smiley

Things change all the time, and they'll probably never be the same again. It's just the natural evolution of the human condition. Guy Clark
Shankly (Peter)
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Liverpool, England

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2011, 03:08:18 PM »

I also wonder about the point of this. Are the re recordings really going to replace the originals in anyone's affections?

I don't suppose they'd ever replace the originals, but it might represent a chance for the current line up to put their mark on songs that they've actually sung longer than the original performers. After all, we all love Sandy singing 'WKWTTG', but Simon must have sung it many more times than she ever did. Uriah Heep did a similar thing with their 'Celebration' album. The new versions will never supercede the originals, but they might shine an interesting, different light upon them.
Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Sheffield

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2011, 03:19:21 PM »

I voted too. Went for a few left field tracks, like 'Book Song' which is one of my all time favourites. I notice 'Poor Will' was a choice. Shame.

Also, I've never seen Matty refered to as "Matty Groves/Kate & the Cow Hide" before.  Huh

"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."
Ruth from Stroud

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2011, 03:20:05 PM »

What a great idea!  I included To Althea From Prison - would love to hear Chris sing that.

That's one of my favourites too!

I don't suppose they'd ever replace the originals, but it might represent a chance for the current line up to put their mark on songs that they've actually sung longer than the original performers. After all, we all love Sandy singing 'WKWTTG', but Simon must have sung it many more times than she ever did. Uriah Heep did a similar thing with their 'Celebration' album. The new versions will never supercede the originals, but they might shine an interesting, different light upon them.

Another one I really love is Now Be Thankful and I was really surprised when I listened to the version that Chris sings and found that I loved it just as much, as I always assumed that it was the sound of Swarb's voice that made it so special.  Fez
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2011, 03:56:16 PM »

I notice 'Poor Will' was a choice. Shame.

Do you mean shame it wasn't a choice?

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: