TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 27, 2024, 11:30:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Competition to win copy of the next album  (Read 64187 times)
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #120 on: June 24, 2011, 09:00:07 AM »

I'm tempted to say (controversially) the Just Us version of Circle Sky by The Monkees, purely because you can actually hear the vocals unlike the original but otherwise no.

Nah, that Justus version sucks.  What you want is the vocals-up mix of the original as found on Missing Links vol 3.

Jules

Ah. I don't have the Missing Links series. Given the quality of much of the bonus material on the album reissues I gave them a miss and I think they are unavailable now. I'd like to hear that though. One of my favourite Monkees songs spoiled by a lousy recording.

Er... back on topic...maybe FC should cover it. Nice fiddle solo in the middle. Would work well I think  Grin
Albie
or tea, if that is your cup of tea
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #121 on: June 24, 2011, 09:05:47 AM »

Career Opportunities, by The Clash, which they reworked on Sandanista, although that was only a couple of years or so after the original, is one that I can think of.

But that version's awful!   Sad

Jules

It is brilliant... Grin
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #122 on: June 24, 2011, 09:22:39 AM »

Ah. I don't have the Missing Links series. Given the quality of much of the bonus material on the album reissues I gave them a miss and I think they are unavailable now. I'd like to hear that though. One of my favourite Monkees songs spoiled by a lousy recording.

Missing Links 2 and 3 are excellent collections.  The alternate mix of Circle Sky has crystal clear vocals, but maybe loses out on some of the instrumental power of the first mix.  That original wasn't a lousy recording - it's actually very dynamic.  Somebody just forgot to turn the vocals up!  I synched the two up and made my own alternate mix.

As for Fairport - do we really want a bunch of music legends sitting in with the band and making a "look at our famous friends" record?  It's what The Chieftains did when they'd run out of ideas.  It pretty much means you've resigned yourself to no longer being creative, so you're content to buy yourself a higher profile by recycling your past with knobs on.  It's a vacuous road to travel down IMO.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Albie
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #123 on: June 24, 2011, 09:33:30 AM »

As for Fairport - do we really want a bunch of music legends sitting in with the band and making a "look at our famous friends" record?  It's what The Chieftains did when they'd run out of ideas.  It pretty much means you've resigned yourself to no longer being creative, so you're content to buy yourself a higher profile by recycling your past with knobs on.  It's a vacuous road to travel down IMO.

Jules

Pretty much agree with you. But I do think, if they are going to do it, they have to look outside the folk circuit for their recruits, otherwise it's the same old, same old.

We have seen, in the recent past, Johnny Cash and Glen Campbell get a new lease of life when stepping out of their comfort zone and doing something a bit radical, unexpected.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #124 on: June 24, 2011, 09:37:09 AM »

We have seen, in the recent past, Johnny Cash and Glen Campbell get a new lease of life when stepping out of their comfort zone and doing something a bit radical, unexpected.

Yes, but they're singers whose producers drafted in younger backing musicians to support on albums including material by younger writers.  Conversely, Fairport would presumably back famous singers in the model proposed above (I'm aware that this is all hypothetical) and then it starts to look top-heavy.  If they did more of a session thing with  pickers and fiddlers etc, or simply covered some younger people's songs, then I'd be much more open to the idea.

Jules

Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #125 on: June 24, 2011, 09:38:41 AM »

And Glen Campbell's just called it a day.,....

GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #126 on: June 24, 2011, 09:39:11 AM »

Jules

Pretty much agree with you. But I do think, if they are going to do it, they have to look outside the folk circuit for their recruits, otherwise it's the same old, same old.

I don't think they would go down that route. They are forever making the point that they are a working band with their eyes on the future as much as the past and have no wish to be their own tribute band. They want to stand or fall on their own merits and would not want to be overshadowed by their collaborators which is why, I think, this project appears to be backfiring badly before it has really even begun.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #127 on: June 24, 2011, 09:39:25 AM »

Alzheimer's, so I hear.   Sad

Jules

Albie
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #128 on: June 24, 2011, 10:23:36 AM »

Alzheimer's, so I hear.   Sad

Jules

That's very sad.
JeremyRS
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #129 on: June 24, 2011, 10:31:50 AM »

I don't think they would go down that route. They are forever making the point that they are a working band with their eyes on the future as much as the past and have no wish to be their own tribute band. They want to stand or fall on their own merits and would not want to be overshadowed by their collaborators which is why, I think, this project appears to be backfiring badly before it has really even begun.

Normally I'd agree but this is supposed to be a 45 year celebration album so it seems to me the perfect opportunity to get in a whole range of guest singers from that entire period to sing - the likes of John Jones, Jon Boden, Maddy Prior, etc. etc. there's an endless list of possibilities.

Not so skinny, maybe not so free
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #130 on: June 24, 2011, 10:58:14 AM »

Normally I'd agree but this is supposed to be a 45 year celebration album so it seems to me the perfect opportunity to get in a whole range of guest singers from that entire period to sing - the likes of John Jones, Jon Boden, Maddy Prior, etc. etc. there's an endless list of possibilities.

That might work.

Jules

PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #131 on: June 24, 2011, 11:17:12 AM »

How about a TAWers' version?

Collectively, we could come up with a different song/tune list, there's plenty of musicians & singers on here...  

... bagsy vocals on "Polly On The Shore"!

Flobbadob!
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #132 on: June 24, 2011, 11:55:04 AM »

Collectively, we could come up with a different song/tune list, there's plenty of musicians & singers on here...  

No way!  That one's mine!  We'll have to have a deep throat competition.  Uh...sorry...that came out wrong.   Embarrassed

Jules

Red Shoes (Caz+Mark)
never built a bear in my life
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Birmingham

The bass player's back !

« Reply #133 on: June 24, 2011, 12:21:06 PM »

No way!  That one's mine!  We'll have to have a deep throat competition.  Uh...sorry...that came out wrong.   Embarrassed

Jules

That's just made me spurt my tea all over the keyboard! Grin

C x

Back working on new album, with Peggy on base and a certain fiddle player who should be knighted :-)
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #134 on: June 24, 2011, 12:22:37 PM »

Next time, choose to swallow rather than spit.

Roll Eyes

Jules

Red Shoes (Caz+Mark)
never built a bear in my life
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Birmingham

The bass player's back !

« Reply #135 on: June 24, 2011, 12:24:17 PM »

Next time, choose to swallow rather than spit.

Roll Eyes

Jules

Embarrassed ok

Back working on new album, with Peggy on base and a certain fiddle player who should be knighted :-)
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #136 on: June 24, 2011, 12:24:36 PM »

I think we have a new winner of the Topic Drift of the Year award... Smiley

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #137 on: June 24, 2011, 12:26:37 PM »

Ooh matron!  Who's going to do Rosie?

OK Jules - you can have Polly (!) if I can sing "Iron Lion".

Flobbadob!
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #138 on: June 24, 2011, 12:47:36 PM »

OK Jules - you can have Polly (!) if I can sing "Iron Lion".

You're welcome to that one (I can't even remember how it goes).

Jules

Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #139 on: June 24, 2011, 12:48:36 PM »

I think we have a new winner of the Topic Drift of the Year award... Smiley

That's my style, man.  They call me The Drifter.  

(Well, alright they don't call me The Drifter really.)

Jules

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: