TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 04:20:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 78   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Grateful Dead - where next?  (Read 871684 times)
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #660 on: January 11, 2012, 07:11:30 AM »

I know what we'll do next, says Micky...

http://sfist.com/2012/01/09/golden_gate_bridge_to_be_turned_int.php

as you do...  Wink Smiley

It's been begging for it really!

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #661 on: January 27, 2012, 01:54:28 PM »

For those of us living in the wrong timezone for the broadcast this may just come in rather useful...  Smiley

Ratdog 2012

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zly376vg37U

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hereford. UK

In nīz bogzarad

« Reply #662 on: January 27, 2012, 03:25:26 PM »

For those of us living in the wrong timezone for the broadcast this may just come in rather useful...  Smiley

Ratdog 2012

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zly376vg37U

Nice one, David. Many thanks.  Smiley

A Brittunculus is not such a bad thing to be.
MikeA

Loc: Somerset Levels

Long strange trips are good...

« Reply #663 on: January 27, 2012, 09:27:18 PM »

Many, many thanks for the Ratdog link - a real joy - hope some more of this shows up and that this outfit remains "unfinished business" a while longer!

Cheers.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #664 on: February 14, 2012, 08:52:30 PM »

DVD box set and a half - mostly released already, but seems fairly competitively priced, at least if you lived in the US.

http://www.planetrock.com/news/rock-news/huge-grateful-dead-dvd-box-on-the-way-3394/

http://shoutfactorystore.com/prod.aspx?pfid=5257684&sid=1A08933A335A4C7496586965389423A8&nocookie=true

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

In nīz bogzarad

« Reply #665 on: February 18, 2012, 12:41:32 PM »

The first volume of "Dave's Picks" has arrived & what a cracker it is. Mind you, to open the series with a spring '77 (The Mosque, Richmond, VA. 25/05/77) Betty Board was always going to be a pretty safe bet. The playing is exemplary & even Donna-Jean sounds fab.

The recording has more breadth & depth than some of the raw & claustrophobic "Road Trips", but the distant vocals & higher ambience level creates a very nice overall listening experience.

A couple of quibbles; the last track on set 1 ("Promised Land"), suffers from, what I'm assuming is some irredeemable tape decay & is very distracting. Plus, the (digi)packaging is physically pretty weak. I believe the paper grammage is to be increased on further releases.

Overall though, I can recommend this, but get in quick. My copy is numbered 11262 out of 12000.

If that wasn't enough, a kind soul has given me a loan of the Europe '72 trunk, talk about cups overflowing!  Grin

Jonathan

Loc: US

« Reply #666 on: February 20, 2012, 05:22:06 AM »

The first volume of "Dave's Picks" has arrived & what a cracker it is. Mind you, to open the series with a spring '77 (The Mosque, Richmond, VA. 25/05/77) Betty Board was always going to be a pretty safe bet. The playing is exemplary & even Donna-Jean sounds fab.

I will 100% second with the above review.  Just a great show from beginning to end.  As for the packaging, the cardboard is a little weak, but I'm glad they're in the plastic trays, as opposed to the envelope-like slipcases.  The Road Trips were always a little snug, so there seemed to be a danger of either ripping the package or damaging the CD.  

They hadn't released a '77 show in a few years (iirc!), so this one was a very welcome choice.  

I took me mandolin to the party, but no one asked me to play it.
quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

In nīz bogzarad

« Reply #667 on: February 20, 2012, 09:49:38 AM »

Interestingly, on that point, I've often wondered why the splendid Barton Hall, Cornell Uni show, from 8th May '77, has never been officially released. I'd assumed it was because it was probably already the most widely circulated, high quality '77 show. However, the sleeve notes to Dave'sP 1 state that the The Vault doesn't hold the Cornell master tapes. That somebody else has them goes some way to explaining why it was released into the wild so early & it's non-appearance in any series. A pity, as for me, it still rates as the best show, that I've heard, from that spring's tour.

Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #668 on: February 20, 2012, 09:59:42 AM »

Interestingly, on that point, I've often wondered why the splendid Barton Hall, Cornell Uni show, from 8th May '77, has never been officially released. I'd assumed it was because it was probably already the most widely circulated, high quality '77 show. However, the sleeve notes to Dave'sP 1 state that the The Vault doesn't hold the Cornell master tapes. That somebody else has them goes some way to explaining why it was released into the wild so early & it's non-appearance in any series. A pity, as for me, it still rates as the best show, that I've heard, from that spring's tour.

I received a CDR copy of that show just the other week.  I must get around to playing it.  I've read all about its reputation on the web.

Jules

quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

In nīz bogzarad

« Reply #669 on: February 20, 2012, 10:22:25 AM »

I received a CDR copy of that show just the other week.  I must get around to playing it.  I've read all about its reputation on the web.

Jules

I can guarantee, you'll not be disappointed.  Smiley

Jonathan

Loc: US

« Reply #670 on: February 23, 2012, 04:50:40 AM »

Definitely want to second Ian's guarantee.  It does live up to its reputation.  It's amazingly well played, great song selection, and really not just a great Grateful Dead show, but just a great concert in general.  

I took me mandolin to the party, but no one asked me to play it.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #671 on: February 23, 2012, 07:11:09 PM »

Been really enjoying some of the Dead Covers Project vids being posted at Dead net.  

I'd normally run about a hundred miles (in less than an hour) from a Brent song, but this is a lovely cover of I Will Take You Home.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=DibFt4L3z-I

tullist/raymond
I'll grab my shield and rhythm stick
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: river forest, illinois USA

the others knew nothing about spekkatacles

« Reply #672 on: February 23, 2012, 07:31:49 PM »

Will not be of interest to all Deadheads but another Mickey endeavor doubtless of the highest integrity. Searching for the sound it has been said.

http://www.santacruzsentinel.com/entertainment/ci_20025482

"Be this gung or be this ho may glorious battle resurrect you"
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #673 on: March 04, 2012, 03:26:07 PM »

Haven't listened to Phil & Friends for ages so I downloaded the 17th Feb gig from etree.  I'm no Haynes fan, but the guitar sound and 'texture' that he, the great John Scofield and Jackie Greene get together is outstanding.  The gig's so good I swear I even heard Phil singing in tune for a moment there on 'Eyes..'  Wink Smiley

Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #674 on: March 12, 2012, 09:55:47 AM »

If you missed out on the Europe '72 box set, but are now in a position to buy the CDs either separetely or in a job lot, you may want to buy this empty crate to put them in:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/grateful-dead-europe-complete-72-box-TRUNK-ONLY-NO-cds-books-new-road-trips-/110839972185?pt=UK_Home_Garden_CD_DVDStorage_SM&hash=item19ce93c159

Jules

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #675 on: March 12, 2012, 11:05:31 AM »

I've put my mp3's in there but I just keep losing them...

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #676 on: March 14, 2012, 12:18:49 AM »

This is an interesting looking project for Bob...The National are great...

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/members-of-grateful-dead-the-national-form-band-for-the-bridge-session-20120224

quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

In nīz bogzarad

« Reply #677 on: March 14, 2012, 12:20:07 PM »

Not come across the National before. Any recommendations for an entry point?

tullist/raymond
I'll grab my shield and rhythm stick
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: river forest, illinois USA

the others knew nothing about spekkatacles

« Reply #678 on: March 14, 2012, 01:40:34 PM »

Good to see John Barlow will be around between sets addressing matters of import, Occupy type notions, including apparently the main one, re money, lobbyists. If that guy ever decided to run for office I would certainly do work for him.

"Be this gung or be this ho may glorious battle resurrect you"
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #679 on: March 14, 2012, 02:31:32 PM »

Not come across the National before. Any recommendations for an entry point?

Alligator was their first 'big' album...2004/5 I think without looking... Not heard anything of theirs I really dislike, and that gives a fairly representative idea of their 'sound'...

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 78   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: