TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
November 26, 2020, 02:43:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Guy Pratt ... Pretentious? Moi?  (Read 333 times)
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« on: November 24, 2020, 10:37:57 AM »

It is utterly brilliant.  Most of that material has never been played live better (certainly by the Floyd), and it really works as a cohesive body of work.

I like that they're doing it, but I'm not completely won over.  I don't like the singing, for starters.  And I find some of the arrangements a bit sterile and workmanlike.  It sounds like a competent pub rock band to me.

Jules

I love the singing.  There's nowt wrong with competent pub rock, but this doesn't sound like that to these ears.  It does, however, sound like a modern band though.  That (high production values, new technology, a fresh approach) is exactly why I like it.  And Mason is such a great drummer...
I've always found Guy Pratt a bit up himself but I think his and Gary Kemp's vocals are spot-on. And, yes, Nick Mason is superb.  I've watched the film three times now and will likely watch it again tonight. Not sure if it falls into the definition of madness yet but it's getting close to it...

Edit: This post was originally made in the Listening To thread. It's taken on a life of its own so now has its own topic.

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2020, 12:30:45 PM »

I've always found Guy Pratt a bit up himself but I think his and Gary Kemp's vocals are spot-on.

Really?  Because from what I've read, Guy has a reputation for being a good Guy, and funny and entertaining to boot.

Their vocals are just too damned cheerful and, well, ordinary to my ears.  Barrett, Gilmour and Wright had that very nuanced and melancholic timbre to their singing, and that's what I'm not hearing/feeling here.  I would appear to be on my own with this one though.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Eardisley, Herefordshire

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2020, 12:35:14 PM »

I've always found Guy Pratt a bit up himself but I think his and Gary Kemp's vocals are spot-on.

Really?  Because from what I've read, Guy has a reputation for being a good Guy, and funny and entertaining to boot.

Not sure I've ever heard anyone ever say a bad word about him before...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2020, 03:46:02 PM »

This is just my opinion of him - I'm a fan of virtually everything he's worked on, and he's quite easy on the eye these days (I'm so shallow Cheesy) I just find him a wee bit pretentious. But he plays with Pink Floyd fgs so I can give him that!  

I'm watching/listening to the film again at the moment, but for variety I watched/listened to Saucerful of Secrets at Pompey first...  Roll Eyes

Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2020, 03:49:19 PM »

Guy Pratt is a great musician. Not a fan of his politics, though.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion, C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate.

Lost in time like tears in the rain
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2020, 04:22:08 PM »

Middle of the road Centrist and anti-Brexiteer (stood for the Renew Party)?

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2020, 04:57:17 PM »

I just find him a wee bit pretentious.

I'm intrigued - what's he pretentious about?

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 10:36:56 AM »

I can see why he might come across like that on the YouTube - he’s not one to waste time on the niceties, but he’s always been accomodating - if terse at times - when responding on the Twitter.

Just found out the wasp I killed yesterday was a wasp cop who was too old for this s**t and only one week away from retirement. Feel awful.
Dan O.
I was the face of 2001
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #8 on: Yesterday at 02:00:58 PM »

I'm a big fan of Guy Pratt. Having read his autobiography My Bass & Other Animals, his life (certainly professionally) can pretty much be summed up by the phrase "being in the right place at the right time". Well worth a read, apparently the self-read audiobook is even better...
Bridgwit (Bridget)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #9 on: Yesterday at 02:28:15 PM »

I just find him a wee bit pretentious.

I'm intrigued - what's he pretentious about?

Jules
OMG a new thread what have I started?  Undecided

I'll have to think how I want to word this one Jules!

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #10 on: Yesterday at 02:49:04 PM »

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of slicing these things off from Listening now...it always gets back on track there, and a little bit of waffly nonsense is surely better lost deep in there than highlighted in a thread of its own, isn't it?

Bridgwit (Bridget)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #11 on: Yesterday at 03:38:24 PM »

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of slicing these things off from Listening now...it always gets back on track there, and a little bit of waffly nonsense is surely better lost deep in there than highlighted in a thread of its own, isn't it?
You saying I'm waffly, David?  Angry

Wink is being waffly as bad as being pretentious? I never know  Grin

Edit: I'm joking here in case it's not obvious

Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: near Aldbrickham, in the Royal County

« Reply #12 on: Yesterday at 04:52:06 PM »

I just checked up on him on Wikipedia. I thought the name was familiar.  I first heard of him as a member of Icehouse in the early 80s.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Shane (Skirky)
Global Moderator

« Reply #13 on: Yesterday at 05:24:48 PM »

I'm a big fan of Guy Pratt. Having read his autobiography My Bass & Other Animals, his life (certainly professionally) can pretty much be summed up by the phrase "being in the right place at the right time". Well worth a read, apparently the self-read audiobook is even better...

I know that’s the way he plays it, but I don’t imagine you get to play bass for Pink Floyd, Madonna, Michael Jackson, Jimmy Page, Bryan Ferry and,um, The Blockheads just by coincidentally being in the right place.  Wink

Just found out the wasp I killed yesterday was a wasp cop who was too old for this s**t and only one week away from retirement. Feel awful.
Dan O.
I was the face of 2001
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #14 on: Yesterday at 07:03:45 PM »

I know that’s the way he plays it, but I don’t imagine you get to play bass for Pink Floyd, Madonna, Michael Jackson, Jimmy Page, Bryan Ferry and,um, The Blockheads just by coincidentally being in the right place.  Wink

That's true, he's a very good player. So good he didn't actually play bass at his audition for Pink Floyd, turning up with a hangover ! :

“Singing ‘Run Like Hell’ was my audition. I actually turned up after a really big night. I was in terrible shape and was like, ‘I’ve f**kin’ blown it.’ But it was actually because I was so battered that I sang it fantastically. If I was rested, I’d probably have been way too self-conscious. David asked me to go back for a second audition and he was like, ‘OK, sing it again.’ I was like, ‘Why? I’ve done it once.’ Even though I was terrified, I was coming off as cocky. David was like, ‘F**k this guy. I’ll risk him.’

I never actually played bass at the auditions. All I did was sing ‘Run Like Hell.’ I don’t know what that says about what David thinks about the complexity of Pink Floyd bass playing. He was just like, ‘I know you can play the bass.’“
Shane (Skirky)
Global Moderator

« Reply #15 on: Yesterday at 07:12:53 PM »

“These are tough times for a cocksman, Guy”  Cheesy Grin Grin

blagden
Money for
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: South God's Own Country

I am a rebel - whilst ever my wife will let me be!

« Reply #16 on: Yesterday at 08:12:10 PM »

Don't get the relevance of his political preferences.
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #17 on: Today at 01:09:28 AM »

Don't get the relevance of his political preferences.
Really? Oh dear.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion, C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate.

Lost in time like tears in the rain
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: