TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 28, 2024, 04:34:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 78   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Grateful Dead - where next?  (Read 882999 times)
Henry Tompkins (Pete)
Guaranteed trouble
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: S.W. London

One man gathers what another man spills

« Reply #1320 on: January 26, 2017, 05:52:52 PM »

Bob Weir's new band is playing two shows down the street from me this spring - should I do it?

I never saw the Grateful Dead...

Should be good...it's The National sans Matt and plus Josh Kaufman.  Do it.

Mrs. J From A said she'd come with me, in spite of reservations about jam-based music, so it looks like I'll be there.  Smiley

Excellent. Sure you'll enjoy it. Full report, please.  Smiley

Just booked - quite good seats at ACL Live for Bob Weir and the Campfire Band, Saturday, April 15. I am looking forward to this!

Have you heard the cd?

No Left Turn Unstoned
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #1321 on: January 26, 2017, 07:38:20 PM »

Bob Weir's new band is playing two shows down the street from me this spring - should I do it?

I never saw the Grateful Dead...

Should be good...it's The National sans Matt and plus Josh Kaufman.  Do it.

Mrs. J From A said she'd come with me, in spite of reservations about jam-based music, so it looks like I'll be there.  Smiley

Excellent. Sure you'll enjoy it. Full report, please.  Smiley

Just booked - quite good seats at ACL Live for Bob Weir and the Campfire Band, Saturday, April 15. I am looking forward to this!

Have you heard the cd?

Not yet - a free copy is included with each ticket purchased, so I should be receiving it soon
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #1322 on: January 27, 2017, 01:44:29 PM »

If you're wondering about the new 50th Anniversary re-issue of the debut, stop, and get your wallet out.  It's exquisite.  The remastering sounds wonderful, and the live show is great.  Recommended.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hereford. UK

In nīz bogzarad

« Reply #1323 on: January 27, 2017, 04:18:58 PM »

If you're wondering about the new 50th Anniversary re-issue of the debut, stop, and get your wallet out.  It's exquisite.  The remastering sounds wonderful, and the live show is great.  Recommended.

Hmm. Tempted as I am by the Vancouver set, I don't think another copy of the first album is needed, especially as the tracks extended for the "Golden Road" box have reverted to their original, shorter, edits & the extra tracks have been omitted.

It's getting a bit silly now, re-releasing again, all the studio LPs, singles & the "Dave's Picks" series. Plus, another big(ish) box is rumoured, not to mention the proliferation of Garcia recordings. I'll be sticking with archive.org streams, in the main.  Smiley

A Brittunculus is not such a bad thing to be.
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1324 on: January 27, 2017, 04:20:32 PM »

Worth knowing, David. And nice to see I (almost) wasn't ignored.
quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

In nīz bogzarad

« Reply #1325 on: January 27, 2017, 04:34:36 PM »

And nice to see I (almost) wasn't ignored.

Arf. Not ignored, just didn't seem to require a response.  Smiley

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1326 on: January 27, 2017, 04:41:54 PM »

What Ian said  Smiley

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

In nīz bogzarad

« Reply #1327 on: January 27, 2017, 05:00:13 PM »

Here's a 22 minute instrumental rehersal tape of what became "Blues For Allah". Really rather good, imho.  (Jules won't like it, though)Smiley

https://www.jambase.com/article/grateful-dead-1975-studio-rehearsal-recording-surfaces

Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #1328 on: January 27, 2017, 05:09:51 PM »

When it comes to screwing every last penny out of your fans the Dead need no lessons, do they.

The Dude abides
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1329 on: January 28, 2017, 12:08:24 PM »

What Ian said  Smiley

Fair enough.  Cool
Henry Tompkins (Pete)
Guaranteed trouble
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1330 on: January 28, 2017, 03:00:52 PM »

Here's a 22 minute instrumental rehersal tape of what became "Blues For Allah". Really rather good, imho.  (Jules won't like it, though)Smiley

https://www.jambase.com/article/grateful-dead-1975-studio-rehearsal-recording-surfaces

Cheers Ian. Nice.

No Left Turn Unstoned
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1331 on: February 02, 2017, 10:32:26 AM »

Live/Dead last night at the Robin 2.  Decent if not spectactular turn out of 150-200.  

Just copied this from what I wrote on FB:

Really enjoyed this. Started with 3 solo tunes from TC and then went all Grateful Dead on us, which was surely the general idea ;-)

Some outstanding guitar work there and a more than adequate (although, from my point of view, slightly one dimensional) rhythm section (wish we could see the full US band including Prairie Prince and Peter Kaukonen).

Mark Karan was the star - he's got a beautiful tone, and, unknown to me, at least, sings like a total good 'un. Loved Slick's Deal (which i first heard him doing in Deal. Beat that.) too, which was exceptionally 'Jerry'.

There were moments of transcendence. I lost myself at least 3 times in that way which only really happens when I listen to Grateful Dead music. I'll take that wherever it comes. I very much hope to see them again (and will be thrilled if they do come over again in the Summer as Mark seems to have said elsewhere).

Henry Tompkins (Pete)
Guaranteed trouble
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1332 on: February 02, 2017, 12:46:42 PM »

Live/Dead last night at the Robin 2.  Decent if not spectactular turn out of 150-200.  

Really enjoyed this. Started with 3 solo tunes from TC and then went all Grateful Dead on us, which was surely the general idea ;-)

Some outstanding guitar work there and a more than adequate (although, from my point of view, slightly one dimensional) rhythm section (wish we could see the full US band including Prairie Prince and Peter Kaukonen).

Mark Karan was the star - he's got a beautiful tone, and, unknown to me, at least, sings like a total good 'un. Loved Slick's Deal (which i first heard him doing in Deal. Beat that.) too, which was exceptionally 'Jerry'.

There were moments of transcendence. I lost myself at least 3 times in that way which only really happens when I listen to Grateful Dead music. I'll take that wherever it comes. I very much hope to see them again (and will be thrilled if they do come over again in the Summer as Mark seems to have said elsewhere).

That sounds like very fine show to me.

No Left Turn Unstoned
quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

In nīz bogzarad

« Reply #1333 on: February 02, 2017, 01:04:13 PM »

That sounds like very fine show to me.

Appetite duly whetted. Thanks, David.

Anyone else going to the London show on Friday?

I've heard, but unconfirmed,  it's the Airplane Family coming in June.  Smiley

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1334 on: February 02, 2017, 01:08:40 PM »

So...the same band with Frieberg?  Or with Prairie and Peter K?

quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

In nīz bogzarad

« Reply #1335 on: February 02, 2017, 01:30:42 PM »

So...the same band with Frieberg?  Or with Prairie and Peter K?

No idea.

Here's a link to a download of the Frome show. Not heard it as I'm saving myself until tomorrow, so I can't speak of its quality.  Smiley

http://www.mediafire.com/file/044a6zm4rnz2mo1/2017-01-27+%5BCheese+%26+Grain%2C+Frome%2C+UK%5D+AUD.zip

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1336 on: February 09, 2017, 09:01:42 AM »

If anybody who went to the Under the Bridge show (or anyone else) wants an album of outstanding photos from the gig by my friend, Chris Jones drop me a line with your email addy and I'll Dropbox them across to you.  Just under 600mb.  They're all watermarked  Smiley

quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

In nīz bogzarad

« Reply #1337 on: February 09, 2017, 09:44:06 AM »

If anybody who went to the Under the Bridge show (or anyone else) wants an album of outstanding photos from the gig by my friend, Chris Jones drop me a line with your email addy and I'll Dropbox them across to you.  Just under 600mb.  They're all watermarked  Smiley

The band themselves have now posted on Facebook a link to a download of the show in excellent quality. If you're not already a member, you'll need to register (free, of course); you won't be disappointed:)

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1338 on: February 12, 2017, 06:02:22 PM »

Radio broadcasts....borderline legal...performances all available elsewhere for nowt (legally), but....

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01N5XJCI7/ref=cm_sw_r_fa_dp_t2_1uhOyb7BZS482

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1339 on: February 16, 2017, 05:45:42 PM »

Cornell finally gets an official release...

https://www.spincds.com/coming-soon/cornell-5-8-77-3-cd

Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 78   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: