TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 28, 2024, 06:45:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wintour Spoliers  (Read 77901 times)
Jan_
A jig, a melodeon and a smile
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2008, 03:09:40 PM »

They're just making fun out of the general inability to remember which album was recorded in which year, and the contents of each - as exposed by a punter that got it wrong in Tewkesbury.

Just a bit of fun, I reckon.

That's what I thought on the night and why I wrote what I did.  But when you said the joke was immortalised in a Fairport Quiz with capital letters (no, I'm not being a pedant) I assumed that was a reference to a recording, a publication or an entry in one of the programmes from long ago that I had never heard of. Roll Eyes  Silly me! Grin

David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2008, 03:15:22 PM »

any chance of some set lists being posted so we can get an idea of what changes are being made night on night and build up a picture of the overall reportoire this tour.

David W
Tasha
shocking in parts but very good
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Shropshire

« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2008, 03:19:59 PM »

well I'm 99% certain that staffords set list was the same as the one Ollie posted except that they finished with meet on the ledge as well as doing Best wishes! Grin

They broke my heart and they killed me, but I didn't die. They tried to bury me, they didn't realise I was a seed.
Anne T
I'm obviously missing the point here

Loc: Berkshire

« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2008, 07:10:36 PM »

Well I guess this has now become the review thread, as it's hard to write a review without mentioning the names of any of the songs!

It was really cold in the auditorium of the Swan in High Wycombe, but I had warmed up by the end. Whether this was because of the amount of bodies in the room, or because of the heart warming nature of the performance is hard to say...

Having  "discovered" Fairport a few short years ago, this was only the 4th time of attending the Wintour, and this was very obviously different from the others. Since attending for the first time, I've collected a large amount of the back catalogue, so am familiar with most of the older songs. However, it still seemed surprisingly different hearing them performed last night! I've noticed how many people on here, who have been fans for a long time, seem to be pointedly asking for the old stuff, so they will certainly be happy with this set.

Although much of the material was old, the evening felt somehow much more experimental (for us in the audience, anyway, if not the band!), as if a bit of a comfort zone was being done away with. Once I'd got over this, it was great! Highlights for me were "Banks of the Sweet Primroses" (fabulous harmonies); "Journeyman's Grace" (great electric guitar); the 3 songs from "Babbacombe Lee" and, surprisingly, "Reynardine". Surprisingly, because I nearly always skip it on "Liege and Lief" as I find it rather dull, and am always waiting for it to develop into something with a bit of punch at the end, a bit like "A Sailor's Life." However, I really came to appreciate it last night, with the stunning vocal performance and the shimmering guitar, both of which sent the proverbial shivers down the spine.

Such a lot to enjoy - make sure you don't miss out on this!  Smiley

PS: When is "Glady's Leap" going to be added to the list of remastered CDs on the market?

Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2008, 07:20:53 PM »

Is there a programme this year please?

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Jim G
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Bridport ,Dorset

« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2008, 07:40:20 PM »

Is there a programme this year please?

yes there is and a lovely T-shirt
Amethyst (Jenny)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #46 on: February 05, 2008, 07:41:45 PM »

Great, thank you  Grin Grin

Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #47 on: February 05, 2008, 09:12:08 PM »

any chance of some set lists being posted so we can get an idea of what changes are being made night on night and build up a picture of the overall reportoire this tour.

No change to theset list yet except thatthey'verun out of time & missed MOTL on at least one night.

However, they ean through Wat Tyler in soundcheck yesterday, so that may see light of day somewhere soon.

The programme is£4, t-shirt £15, long-sleeve same £20.

Amethyst (Jenny)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #48 on: February 05, 2008, 10:39:07 PM »

I'll be taking my b'day money with me to my first gig  Grin Grin

AdrianW
always good to have a target to miss
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: South Cheshire

"The weird bloke"

« Reply #49 on: February 06, 2008, 06:29:56 AM »

The pre and post Cropredy diary in the programme makes interesting reading.

-- Adrian
I cried for madder music and for stronger wine,
johanna/ulla
The Cropredy Opening Act
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Worms, Germany

Don´t mention the war

« Reply #50 on: February 06, 2008, 12:55:47 PM »

They'll change the set list tonight, Peggy said. And they have a third version to play later on in the tour.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2008, 01:06:24 PM by johanna/ulla » Logged
Penguin (Dunc)
O RLY?
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Royton, Lancashire

The Wrong Side of Weird!

« Reply #51 on: February 06, 2008, 01:23:07 PM »

However, they ran through Wat Tyler in soundcheck yesterday, so that may see light of day somewhere soon.

Huddersfield last night - Though Simon had a senior moment at Wat almost survived!  Wink

It was a great show, with some very interesting choices of songs/tunes, including 'Rose Hip' from 'Red & Gold' which I don't think I've ever seen performed before.  Also, ' Doctor Of Physick' made the set last night, as did one of my favourites 'Wood and the Wire' and a rather cracking double of 'Swirling Pit' & ' Jams O'Donnells Jigs'.

If the set list is changing this much I might be tempted to nip up to Burnley later on this month for a second helping!  Grin

Cheers
Dunc

It Doesn't Stop Being Magic Just Because You Know How It's Done!
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #52 on: February 06, 2008, 01:50:44 PM »

However, they ran through Wat Tyler in soundcheck yesterday, so that may see light of day somewhere soon.

Huddersfield last night - Though Simon had a senior moment at Wat almost survived!  Wink

It was a great show, with some very interesting choices of songs/tunes, including 'Rose Hip' from 'Red & Gold' which I don't think I've ever seen performed before.  Also, ' Doctor Of Physick' made the set last night, as did one of my favourites 'Wood and the Wire' and a rather cracking double of 'Swirling Pit' & ' Jams O'Donnells Jigs'.

If the set list is changing this much I might be tempted to nip up to Burnley later on this month for a second helping!  Grin

Cheers
Dunc

So what was dropped for WatW, Wat and Dr?
Penguin (Dunc)
O RLY?
Folkcorp Guru

The Wrong Side of Weird!

« Reply #53 on: February 06, 2008, 02:26:40 PM »

So what was dropped for WatW, Wat and Dr?

From the set-list already posted by Ollie we didn't get: -

Genesis Hall
Banks of the Sweet Primroses
South Dakota to Manchester
Journeymans Grace
Instrumental 85
Who knows where the time goes?
Hawkswood Army

But they also added 'Keep on Turning the Wheel' & 'Hiring Fair' to the set list last night, plus they finished with MotL.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2008, 02:42:17 PM by Penguin » Logged

PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #54 on: February 06, 2008, 03:41:47 PM »

I wonder how many other bands vary their set list so much in the course of one tour? Without a new CD to promote, of course, FC have the latitude (and the repertoire) to be able to do so - perhaps this idea stemmed from the unrehearsed end to Sat night's Croppers set?  Whatever, it's certainly a refreshing change from the usual "set" set list we're used to expecting from touring bands.  More power to the chaps' elbows (and fingers, knees, feet etc).

Can we dare to hope for a live CD culled from the tour, with a version of every song/tune played during the tour? I'd buy it...

Flobbadob!
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #55 on: February 06, 2008, 03:46:15 PM »

I wonder how many other bands vary their set list so much in the course of one tour? Without a new CD to promote, of course, FC have the latitude (and the repertoire) to be able to do so - perhaps this idea stemmed from the unrehearsed end to Sat night's Croppers set?  Whatever, it's certainly a refreshing change from the usual "set" set list we're used to expecting from touring bands.  More power to the chaps' elbows (and fingers, knees, feet etc).

Can we dare to hope for a live CD culled from the tour, with a version of every song/tune played during the tour? I'd buy it...

if the band dont someone else will

The Dude abides
jamesiegang

Loc: Mirfield West Yorks

How Can You Dance With Two Left Feet?

« Reply #56 on: February 06, 2008, 04:29:19 PM »

Perhaps Mr, Penguin (Dunc) will correct me but I reckon the show at the LBT Huddersfield ran something like this:

1st Half

Anthony John Clarke(5 songs)
Transition number with Fairport.(Sorry missed the title...AJC is a real find, started the show well)
The Happy Man
Doctor of Physick
Rocky Road
The Rose Hip
My Love's In America
Reynardine
Wood & The Wire
Mock morris '90

2nd Half
Keep Turning The Wheel
Wat Tyler
The Swirling Pit
Jam O'Donnell's Jig
Breakfast In Mayfair
Cell Song
The Hanging Song
Eynsham Poacher
Hiring Fair
End of a Holiday
Matty Groves et al(Not sure which medley)

Encores
Best Wishes
Meet On The Ledge (with AJC in 'Peggy 60' t-shirt)

Best show for variety and some real treats in 'Doctor' +'Rose Hip + AJC etc

Should be a review on Hudds. Examiner from Pete Barrow.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2008, 04:54:18 PM by jamesiegang » Logged

"A Man of the Earth ...A Man of the Soil"
Penguin (Dunc)
O RLY?
Folkcorp Guru

The Wrong Side of Weird!

« Reply #57 on: February 06, 2008, 04:56:00 PM »

It looked like they had microphones trained on the audience last night to capture the applause, so we can only hope!

Perhaps Mr, Penguin (Dunc) will correct me but I reckon the show at the LBT Huddersfield ran something like this:

Didn't actually make a note of the setlist myself, I'm glad someone did  Cheesy, but that looks about right to me!

Forgot to mention, it was Tuesday and yet we didn't have any karaoke from AJC.  Shocked Shocked Shocked

jamesiegang

Loc: Mirfield West Yorks

How Can You Dance With Two Left Feet?

« Reply #58 on: February 06, 2008, 05:33:28 PM »

Didn't actually make a note of the setlist myself, I'm glad someone did  Cheesy, but that looks about right to me!

Forgot to mention, it was Tuesday and yet we didn't have any karaoke from AJC.  Shocked Shocked Shocked

It was a memory job at home,,,reckon the Matty Groves Medley was the Bowman's Retreat Mr. P?

"A Man of the Earth ...A Man of the Soil"
diddlysquat

« Reply #59 on: February 07, 2008, 07:48:41 AM »

So far have they included the Babbacombe Lee section every night?

I wouldn't want them to drop that by the time I see them at Gateshead

Hard Knox and Durty Sox
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: