TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 29, 2024, 08:41:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 86   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fairport-related Youtube Clips  (Read 1223552 times)
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #1500 on: October 24, 2018, 07:03:04 PM »

RT's Electric Trio set from the Shrewsbury Folk Festival (August 2018) is now on Youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8sWPjYe1tw Excellent quality sound and visuals.  Set list representative of his current tour, I think.

Dave

Thanks for that, Dave  Smiley

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
fstix (Michael)

Loc: Adelaide, Australia

« Reply #1501 on: November 02, 2018, 11:25:24 AM »

Summer Before The War seems to have been the go-to song for Fairport's UK TV appearances in early 1989, though Maart is playing a different instrument in each! Here's another, from HTV Wales...

https://youtu.be/l9CGNtT2yP4

More like I am today than I ever have been before.
fstix (Michael)

« Reply #1502 on: November 16, 2018, 11:14:16 AM »

As heard (and now seen) on Old New Borrowed Blue...

https://youtu.be/FAMKpJvgaqY

quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hereford. UK

In nīz bogzarad

« Reply #1503 on: December 03, 2018, 10:47:25 PM »

From Scott Doonican on FB, for a very worthy cause. (Apologies if it's already been posted elsewhere)

"Every year for the past few years I would get a phone call, e-mail or message from Maart Allcock, asking me what we were going to collaborate on for our annual Christmas charity single.
I don't quite recall how or why this annual tradition started, but I am sure wine and late night Facebook messages were involved.
Over those years The Bar-Steward Sons of Val Doonican and Maartin Allcock, parodied the obvious big hitters from Slade, on the subject of Austerity (with a capital 'A') and Wizzard, on the subject of the Americanisation of the festive season, whilst I also got to sing alongside the legendary Dave Burland for an Everly Brothers duet, with Maart playing the music in the style of The Rolling Stones. You couldn't make it up!
I always loved that call, as I knew it always resulted in two months of late night conversations about mixes, the 'sound' we were deliberately trying to pastiche, and often, our own love of different musical artists and genres. Maart taught me so, so much, and was incredibly generous and selfless with his time, often only ever breaking off to "give [his] ears a rest" to watch his beloved Man United play a match or to cook a meal for his lovely wife Jan. I will always consider myself extremely privileged to have worked with such a genius musician and producer, but moreso to have Maart's respect as a fellow musician and as a friend.
Last October, when Maart said "Scott, what Christmas song have you rewritten for us to do this year?", I had an old rewrite of Fairytale of New York that I had played years previously, at the back of my mind. Maart dismissed it as he admitted he was never a fan of the original song, and I am so glad he did...
On suggesting that we could actually attempt a 'straight' cover of a classic Christmas single, Maart instantly said "I have always wanted to do Greg Lake's Christmas Song". I liked the prospect of us doing it, but went a step further by suggesting we created the least commercial Christmas Single possible. Like an "Anti-X-Factor" affair. Something that WE loved. Something that could be borderline self-indulgent! I suggested we covered the song but that we would deliberately fuse folk and traditional music with prog rock... pretty much the last thing anybody would have expected from the unlikely pairing of a comedy band from Barnsley and a former member of England's most revered folk band.
Björn was the first to set to work, creating a plan for time signature changes, folk reels and other such things, whilst I went all 1975 era Queen, creating a wall of Brian May harmony electric guitars and a choir of vocals. It was all sent to Maart in Wales, via e-mail and in his Santa's Workshop he created the most stunning thing. The result of his efforts was this version. I can't hear the Greg Lake original now without thinking of my friend Maart.
I missed your call this year. xxx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRHOs3Cr9wE&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR0WPmFmgfOhHsY91_7KmfZiivAX4IvI4wtfTfvj03Z45A-mfGehfnbgzDk

A Brittunculus is not such a bad thing to be.
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #1504 on: December 03, 2018, 11:50:19 PM »

From Scott Doonican on FB, for a very worthy cause. (Apologies if it's already been posted elsewhere)

"Every year for the past few years I would get a phone call, e-mail or message from Maart Allcock, asking me what we were going to collaborate on for our annual Christmas charity single.
I don't quite recall how or why this annual tradition started, but I am sure wine and late night Facebook messages were involved.
Over those years The Bar-Steward Sons of Val Doonican and Maartin Allcock, parodied the obvious big hitters from Slade, on the subject of Austerity (with a capital 'A') and Wizzard, on the subject of the Americanisation of the festive season, whilst I also got to sing alongside the legendary Dave Burland for an Everly Brothers duet, with Maart playing the music in the style of The Rolling Stones. You couldn't make it up!
I always loved that call, as I knew it always resulted in two months of late night conversations about mixes, the 'sound' we were deliberately trying to pastiche, and often, our own love of different musical artists and genres. Maart taught me so, so much, and was incredibly generous and selfless with his time, often only ever breaking off to "give [his] ears a rest" to watch his beloved Man United play a match or to cook a meal for his lovely wife Jan. I will always consider myself extremely privileged to have worked with such a genius musician and producer, but moreso to have Maart's respect as a fellow musician and as a friend.
Last October, when Maart said "Scott, what Christmas song have you rewritten for us to do this year?", I had an old rewrite of Fairytale of New York that I had played years previously, at the back of my mind. Maart dismissed it as he admitted he was never a fan of the original song, and I am so glad he did...
On suggesting that we could actually attempt a 'straight' cover of a classic Christmas single, Maart instantly said "I have always wanted to do Greg Lake's Christmas Song". I liked the prospect of us doing it, but went a step further by suggesting we created the least commercial Christmas Single possible. Like an "Anti-X-Factor" affair. Something that WE loved. Something that could be borderline self-indulgent! I suggested we covered the song but that we would deliberately fuse folk and traditional music with prog rock... pretty much the last thing anybody would have expected from the unlikely pairing of a comedy band from Barnsley and a former member of England's most revered folk band.
Björn was the first to set to work, creating a plan for time signature changes, folk reels and other such things, whilst I went all 1975 era Queen, creating a wall of Brian May harmony electric guitars and a choir of vocals. It was all sent to Maart in Wales, via e-mail and in his Santa's Workshop he created the most stunning thing. The result of his efforts was this version. I can't hear the Greg Lake original now without thinking of my friend Maart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRHOs3Cr9wE&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR0WPmFmgfOhHsY91_7KmfZiivAX4IvI4wtfTfvj03Z45A-mfGehfnbgzDk

😢😢😢

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Brendan
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Barrow-in-Furness

« Reply #1505 on: December 04, 2018, 12:14:12 AM »

Most people will have seen Georgia Lucas has posted her daughter Ariel singing Matty Groves on Facebook  it is great to hear that the Family tradition she is obviously very proud.

"I'm only a bag of Rags in an Overall"
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #1506 on: December 04, 2018, 08:39:45 AM »

I will be playing this tune many times over Christmas. Please follow the link people - it needs more views on YouTube!!!

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #1507 on: December 04, 2018, 10:17:50 AM »

Most people will have seen Georgia Lucas has posted her daughter Ariel singing Matty Groves on Facebook  it is great to hear that the Family tradition she is obviously very proud.

nope - can you post a link please?

Brendan
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Barrow-in-Furness

« Reply #1508 on: December 04, 2018, 10:25:28 AM »

I can't work it out but it is on the Fairporters page and I think the other is called something like Fairport and family or something like that if that's any help

"I'm only a bag of Rags in an Overall"
Tim Fletcher
Spotify hasn't heard of him either!
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: London - almost Muswell Hill!

« Reply #1509 on: December 04, 2018, 10:55:12 AM »

nope - can you post a link please?

I hope this works ... https://www.facebook.com/groups/Fairporters/permalink/2162257223794291/

I really must get around to thinking up something witty and urbane to put here.
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #1510 on: December 04, 2018, 11:06:00 AM »

it did - thanks! Good to hear the grandkids taking an interest in Sandy's songs!!

Adam
I'm looking at you, Cool Cat!
Folkcorp Guru

I'm a llama!

« Reply #1511 on: December 25, 2018, 08:53:23 PM »

A festive blast from the past...https://youtu.be/4EWh_6pNTQU
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #1512 on: December 26, 2018, 01:11:49 AM »

A festive blast from the past...https://youtu.be/4EWh_6pNTQU

After all this time that’s the first time i’ve Heard this, thank you.

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
richardkendell

« Reply #1513 on: December 27, 2018, 11:18:47 AM »

If dating Sandy is a sufficient connection to Fairport this is well worth a listen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMNQjvoxdOc
fstix (Michael)

« Reply #1514 on: January 09, 2019, 01:17:41 AM »

Thought forever lost, but now found. The 1975 BBC-TV Babbacombe Lee special with music from Fairport - a combination of '71 & '75 lineups - Martin Carthy etc. Also excerpts from the Australian silent film on the subject, interviews etc.  Smiley  

This is the repeat minus Sandy Denny's version of Breakfast In Mayfair, which apparently was audio-only in the original broadcast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rF2H5iaJoWw

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1515 on: January 09, 2019, 05:57:18 AM »

Thought forever lost, but now found. The 1975 BBC-TV Babbacombe Lee special with music from Fairport - a combination of '71 & '75 lineups - Martin Carthy etc. Also excerpts from the Australian silent film on the subject, interviews etc.  Smiley  

This is the repeat minus Sandy Denny's version of Breakfast In Mayfair, which apparently was audio-only in the original broadcast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rF2H5iaJoWw

Wow, well that's a thing to wake up to.  Good work (although the lineup is messing with my head)  Smiley

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1516 on: January 09, 2019, 06:36:34 AM »

Do we have any idea how his fits in to the chronology of the band...i.e. exactly when the band sections were recorded?

fstix (Michael)

« Reply #1517 on: January 09, 2019, 07:03:25 AM »

The music was recorded for the program, but Simon was invited back in as he was so involved in the original album, and Trevor therefore sat it out. Sandy had rejoined, and DM was still in the band.

https://mainlynorfolk.info/fairport/records/babbacombelee.html gives an actual date of September 24, 1974.

PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #1518 on: January 09, 2019, 08:10:59 AM »

Thanks for posting this. I've never seen it before. I missed the original transmission, and when it was shown the second time, I was sat on the hard shoulder of the M57, my Dad's car having broken down...

Flobbadob!
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1519 on: January 09, 2019, 08:27:03 AM »

The music was recorded for the program, but Simon was invited back in as he was so involved in the original album, and Trevor therefore sat it out. Sandy had rejoined, and DM was still in the band.

https://mainlynorfolk.info/fairport/records/babbacombelee.html gives an actual date of September 24, 1974.

Good stuff.  Thanks, Michael.

Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 86   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: