TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
July 27, 2024, 12:36:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fairport Chatter  (Read 1210115 times)
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #2180 on: July 02, 2024, 09:49:08 AM »

I’ve just noticed that Hungarian Rhapsody was played live on the Danube cruise last night. Is this its first live outing since the early 79s? I don’t think I’ve ever heard it played at Cropredy…

I've got vague, distant, hazy memories of it being played once at Cropredy, a long time ago, but these are almost certainly incorrect.

If it was played, it would have been when Trevor guested. But there were recordings, videos, bootlegs of those early days and it would surely have been captured. I no longer have my collection of such stuff but I like the song and can't remember it. Mind you, my memory may be wrong. I didn't attend until 86.

Well, 82 and 85 were Trevor's last Cropredy appearances, I think...and it's not played at either of those so I strongly suspect it's never been played there. False Memory Syndrome!

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #2181 on: July 02, 2024, 10:01:36 AM »

Out of interest what are the prices for the cruise and I wonder how much the band makes out of it?

DW
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #2182 on: July 02, 2024, 12:18:37 PM »

I’ve just noticed that Hungarian Rhapsody was played live on the Danube cruise last night. Is this its first live outing since the early 79s? I don’t think I’ve ever heard it played at Cropredy…

I've got vague, distant, hazy memories of it being played once at Cropredy, a long time ago, but these are almost certainly incorrect.

If it was played, it would have been when Trevor guested. But there were recordings, videos, bootlegs of those early days and it would surely have been captured. I no longer have my collection of such stuff but I like the song and can't remember it. Mind you, my memory may be wrong. I didn't attend until 86.

Well, 82 and 85 were Trevor's last Cropredy appearances, I think...and it's not played at either of those so I strongly suspect it's never been played there. False Memory Syndrome!

The book to Cropredy Chronicles has it down as one of the never been played tracks at Cropredy…at least since that collection came out, fwiw

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Tasha
shocking in parts but very good
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Shropshire

« Reply #2183 on: July 04, 2024, 09:47:21 AM »

Im pretty certain it has indeed been played within the last 20 years at Cropredy. i remember being shocked and commenting to those around me.

They broke my heart and they killed me, but I didn't die. They tried to bury me, they didn't realise I was a seed.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2184 on: July 04, 2024, 10:44:19 AM »

Im pretty certain it has indeed been played within the last 20 years at Cropredy. i remember being shocked and commenting to those around me.

Can't see it on any of the setlists, Tasha.  But still have a sneaking suspicion you're right.  Despite all the evidence to the contrary Grin

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #2185 on: July 04, 2024, 12:08:18 PM »

Pretty sure it hasn't been played since 2012, since when I have been every year.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #2186 on: July 09, 2024, 01:06:34 PM »

The Autumn tour announcement doesn't include DM, I notice.

Some venues are still using pictures of the band featuring Gerry.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2187 on: July 09, 2024, 04:14:40 PM »

That's certainly been the theme since Gerry left, hasn't it...Cropredy and Winter Tour with DM, all other dates are FAC.

Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #2188 on: July 09, 2024, 06:31:40 PM »

That's certainly been the theme since Gerry left, hasn't it...Cropredy and Winter Tour with DM, all other dates are FAC.
Yup

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Peter Allen

« Reply #2189 on: July 10, 2024, 09:17:50 AM »

I hope that DM on the winter tour dates remains a thing , long may he continue behind the kit
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #2190 on: July 11, 2024, 01:00:36 PM »

Amazing what they can do with AI these days!
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Richard-Thompson-Life-Music-Biography/dp/B0D87M9C61

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2191 on: July 11, 2024, 01:09:50 PM »

Eurgh.  WTAF?!  I'd have thought actually having the artist on the cover was a prerequisite for a music biography even if it was written by a computer...

PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #2192 on: July 12, 2024, 08:22:05 AM »

Winter tour date: Roses theatre, Tewkesbury, 2nd March 2025...

Flobbadob!
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #2193 on: July 12, 2024, 10:10:12 AM »

A comment from elsewhere; It appears a Facebook friend has bought a copy he mentions one error.
“One of the best mistakes in this book is the duo album “Strict Tempo” that Richard and Teddy Thompson released.” This is of course very impressive for Teddy as at the time he was a four or five year old.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #2194 on: July 19, 2024, 06:02:14 AM »

"Wall of Death" made an unexpected yet welcome appearance in the new film "Twisters."

Three singer/guitarists perform a countrified version of the tune early in the film. Pretty cool to hear it (and the movie's a lot of fun, as well). If it's on the soundtrack I hope RT makes a penny or two.
simon frisby
George Takei Socks

Loc: Great Yarmouth Norfolk

They made me do it!

« Reply #2195 on: July 19, 2024, 10:22:18 AM »

The latest issue of R&R has an interview with Peggy about the 50th Anniversary of the LIVE album.

Monster? I'll have you know I'm British!
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: