TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 27, 2024, 05:03:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: L&L rumours?  (Read 53751 times)
Jack O Diamonds
Hard Card

Gone, Gone, Gone

« Reply #80 on: July 19, 2006, 10:22:49 PM »

Correct... seminal, different, exciting..... it's a different scene now... Boozey, "good-natured", cosy, unchallenging, "mumsy"... maybe that's my biggest "gripe"... Come to think of it the best things in "popular" music since, say, 1970 have been Punk, the Manchester Scene and Raves. They were all "good things". I'd go back and restate my argument but i drink you know and I've feckin' forgotten what this thread ("Thread - more like a bleedin' carpet" - ed) was all about. And ANYEWAY no one has given me their closely-argued list of "great things" to happen since circa 1977.... I await with barely bated breath. There goes another week! Wink)
The Paisley Underground scene in LA during the mid-eighties was pretty exciting - if you were a fan of the Byrds, early Floyd and the Velvet Underground.  There were a whole slew of bands from it: Rain Parade, Long Ryders, Green on Red, the Bangles (before Prince got a hold of 'em!) and Dream Syndicate.  Great stuff - but, of course, nobody was interested at the time.....except crusty wannabe hipsters.......like myself.      

Long Ryders - the excellent Sid Griffin... very good, but where would they be (in playing or in homage) without Gram Parsons (who looked shockingly like your humble correspondent)?? The original Dream Syndicate? John Cale? Now that's waht I call seminal! Also Swarb is to any other quotable fiddle player as Pele is to Phil Neville... Aly Bain shades in possibly... I am rushing off to plunge deeper into Paisley Underground as we speak.... a report back from that particular battle front may be expected shortly.

So we beat on. boats against the current...
david stevenson
Umm, anyone remember what this topic's about?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Kimbolton, Cambs

HB aka Haggis Botherer. Never touched it, honest

« Reply #81 on: July 20, 2006, 05:23:14 PM »

The Paisley Underground scene in LA during the mid-eighties was pretty exciting - if you were a fan of the Byrds, early Floyd and the Velvet Underground.  There were a whole slew of bands from it: Rain Parade, Long Ryders, Green on Red, the Bangles (before Prince got a hold of 'em!) and Dream Syndicate.  Great stuff - but, of course, nobody was interested at the time.....except crusty wannabe hipsters.......like myself.      

Christ! I misread the first line because when I was in Paisley, Scotland in the mid-80s the most exciting thing was the burgeoning length of the dole queue.  Long Riders.......great band.

I built the ships that sailed this river
I cut the stones that built this town
I rolled the steel at Dixons Blazes
I cried inside as they tore it all down

- STILL MY CITY
david stevenson
Umm, anyone remember what this topic's about?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Kimbolton, Cambs

HB aka Haggis Botherer. Never touched it, honest

« Reply #82 on: July 20, 2006, 05:25:05 PM »

Gram Parsons (who looked shockingly like your humble correspondent

He was burnt to a crisp by Phil Kaufmann in 1972, Jack.  Hope for your sake you look better than that!

I built the ships that sailed this river
I cut the stones that built this town
I rolled the steel at Dixons Blazes
I cried inside as they tore it all down

- STILL MY CITY
Pat Helms
Long live Freewheelin' Franklin!!

Loc: E. TENNESSEE

Often wrong.....never in doubt

« Reply #83 on: July 20, 2006, 10:33:51 PM »

Long Ryders - the excellent Sid Griffin... very good, but where would they be (in playing or in homage) without Gram Parsons (who looked shockingly like your humble correspondent)??

And, who (Sid) also wrote the first complete biography on the Grievous Angel! 

And, its true, Jack.  You do share a remarkable resemblence.  You should sequester Allison Moorer about participation in her future videos in the event that her current Gram impersonator does his own Joshua Tree. Cheesy
MarkC
is no Snoop Dogg

« Reply #84 on: July 21, 2006, 04:45:50 AM »

Enjoy the 60s.

I thought Joyce wrote it in the 1920s.  Wink

I was referring to early Fairport and disliking anything after *1970.  Roll Eyes

*Whether one has bothered to actually listen to it or not...

I don't DISLIKE anything produced after 1970.  I just prefer the first four albums, that's all.  It was seminal, different and exciting. Since then Fairport have simply become the major part of the consequences of what they started themselves.  No, take that sentence out or we'll be here for another week....... Tongue

Correct... seminal, different, exciting..... it's a different scene now... Boozey, "good-natured", cosy, unchallenging, "mumsy"... maybe that's my biggest "gripe"... Come to think of it the best things in "popular" music since, say, 1970 have been Punk, the Manchester Scene and Raves. They were all "good things". I'd go back and restate my argument but i drink you know and I've feckin' forgotten what this thread ("Thread - more like a bleedin' carpet" - ed) was all about. And ANYEWAY no one has given me their closely-argued list of "great things" to happen since circa 1977.... I await with barely bated breath. There goes another week! Wink)

Well, it's very easy for you to prove your point: all you have to do is dislike anything produced after 1977. So what would be the point?

As for me, I find a lot of really amazing music being produced these days, albeit largely by the indies. Look, I am not knocking the 60s...they were great. So was the fourth grade; I just don't want to live there my whole life, ya know?
Neil
About to blow
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Oregon

« Reply #85 on: July 21, 2006, 07:26:48 AM »

This thread has moved far from it's original intent and is getting somewhat repetitive.

If you want to argue about music throught the ages and it's merit or lack of merit go for it but let's take it to a part of the board were everyone can join in. It might be more interesting that way.

Things change all the time, and they'll probably never be the same again. It's just the natural evolution of the human condition. Guy Clark
Pat Helms

« Reply #86 on: July 21, 2006, 01:21:38 PM »

Yep, I knew we were going to get the whistle blown on us, eventually.

Okay, here's a twist back into the intent of the thread.  If the line up were to materialize, I would suspect it would only be limited to touring the UK, with a possible jump to the continent for a couple of gigs.  Outside the US, I have only seen Fairport at Cropredy, so what is the normal draw for the current line up at a typical UK appearance?  In the States, I don't think I ever seen them draw more than 100.  By contrast, RT usually brings in 200+ (the "+" being significant).  Is this ratio similar in the UK?

What I'm getting at:  How large of a draw could this reunion generate?  It would certainly attract both current fans and disenfranchised ones who still attend RT shows, but who else would it attract?

That being asked, I know there are a lot of factors to ponder.  But, what the hell, let's let the thread die an honorable death!
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #87 on: July 21, 2006, 01:54:44 PM »

it's a different scene now... Boozey, "good-natured", cosy, unchallenging,

Name me a band whose members are over 50 that is none of these - or indeed, 'challenging'.....

You'll be hard pushed. And if they started playing like they did back then, they'd be accused of being 70s dinosaurs. For those two reasons, I suggest you hold your opinion, as nothing will change....

For example, I can give you expetive deleted. It is all instrumental and has many fine songs.

Bit of an oxymoron (is that the right word here?).....it's either all instrumental OR has many fine songs (which aren't instrumental....)

What I'm getting at:  How large of a draw could this reunion generate?  It would certainly attract both current fans and disenfranchised ones who still attend RT shows, but who else would it attract?

Hmmm - difficult one. Here in the UK, RT plays slightly larger venues, but fewer of them on each tour. In total, I guess FC play in front of more punters than does RT. However, the cross-over isn't as big as ytou'd think. If RT & FC were to gig together, I guess the audience would be comfortable in 1000 seaters....

MarkC
is no Snoop Dogg

« Reply #88 on: July 21, 2006, 03:37:02 PM »

This thread has moved far from it's original intent and is getting somewhat repetitive.

If you want to argue about music throught the ages and it's merit or lack of merit go for it but let's take it to a part of the board were everyone can join in. It might be more interesting that way.

Fair enough...no worries.
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #89 on: July 21, 2006, 04:06:41 PM »

with the attendant publicity and someone giving them a push they could easily do concert halls
RT fills them on his own

The Dude abides
Chris
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #90 on: July 22, 2006, 11:41:32 AM »

But as I said further back, an RT tour maybe takes in a dozen venues, while FC play upwards of 30. Given a level playing field, I reckon FC out-punters RT by a bit.

Pat Helms

« Reply #91 on: July 22, 2006, 08:13:29 PM »

But might that be more based on the choices of both parties' tour agents, rather than actual demand of the market(s)?  Fairport will play in some relatively small towns, like Leek or Preston, whereas RT usually plays exclusively in the primary markets, which are fewer in number by comparison.  Naturally, Fairport will have more punters simply by virtue of a more thorough market saturation.

Right?
Chris
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #92 on: July 22, 2006, 08:37:03 PM »

Absolutely.....

But are RT's punters 'fans' if they can't be arsed to travel?.....

Pat Helms

« Reply #93 on: July 22, 2006, 08:47:59 PM »

I'm sorry.......

"arsed"?

Huh Embarrassed
MarkV
sit on a perch and prepare a roach
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Quality control has failed to sift me out.

« Reply #94 on: July 23, 2006, 08:10:38 AM »

I'm sorry.......

"arsed"?

Huh Embarrassed
"Arsed" British Slang term, used to replace the word bothered, "Coldnt get off thier Arse's" Vulgar Grin

O to 62 in sixtytwo years.  Where does the time go?
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Here To Help

« Reply #95 on: July 23, 2006, 12:11:18 PM »

i cant be arsed to travel very far to gigs, but i certainley would class myself as a fan
 and the L&L line up touring is a bit extra special

The Dude abides
Pat Helms

« Reply #96 on: July 23, 2006, 07:49:03 PM »

I'm sorry.......

"arsed"?

Huh Embarrassed
"Arsed" British Slang term, used to replace the word bothered, "Coldnt get off thier Arse's" Vulgar Grin

Thanks for clearing that one up for me, Mark.  I'm a little dim on my "Britonics!"  That being said, my East Tennessee dialect has made it difficult for me to be understood in the UK as well (except in Fife, for some darn reason Wink).  I thought "arses" was simply a corruption of a very similar word used to describe one's elegant posterior, as your example implies, but Chris' amd Jim's does not. 
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Here To Help

« Reply #97 on: July 23, 2006, 07:56:38 PM »

isnt it lovely to speak a living language Wink

The Dude abides
Pat Helms