TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 28, 2024, 02:16:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: L&L rumours?  (Read 53765 times)
Dad Volt
Disturber of the Peace
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Preston Lancs

Same as before!

« on: June 06, 2006, 09:47:22 PM »

INteresting speculation to be found here, featuring a couple of our own chaps
http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/mbradio2/F2142825?thread=3126389&latest=1#p36146123

Message 15 downwards

Anyone else heard about this?

Happy mainly.
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2006, 10:24:05 PM »

not heard about it until now
and that i would pay and travel to see!

The Dude abides
Angela
all that hair bobbing about
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lost in Kent

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2006, 10:32:12 PM »

And written by Simon Care...now he should know Wink Grin
Malcolm
crazily brandishing my swat
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Powys

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2006, 09:15:19 AM »

Betcha they do a L & L spot at Croppers. Chris While is usually there anyway, and it was she who took the Sandy spot at the Beeb presentation. Special guest on parts of the Wintour?  I wonder (and hope)
PLW (Peter)
I didn't understand it then, and I don't now.
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Worcester

Words between the lines of age

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2006, 09:50:09 AM »

There is a school of thought that says the addition of powerful female vocalist would turn Fairport from being an outstanding band into a truly great one (again). Cometh the hour. . .
giottoscircle (Robert)
Water pistoled at the Sooty Show

Loc: Leeds

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2006, 10:16:34 AM »

It would be amazing to see it anywhere. I dont think it will be the Winter Tour as i believe Tiny Tin Lady are the guest on that tour.
greglin (Gregg)
Waving my cheery plumber off
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Carrickfergus N. Ireland

Slainthe chugat

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2006, 10:19:55 AM »

Cropredy would be the perfect venue - for one of the "anniversary" years.

Anyway - we had that whenAshley narrated the FC history and the variouslineups played - didn't we - or was i suffering from a Surfeit of Ramrod ??

I caught a falling star, it cut my hands to pieces.
PLW (Peter)
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2006, 11:03:53 AM »

I don't think the L and L line-up could play Croppers this year, as Richard Thompson isn't playing, is he? Unless he's making an unscheduled appearance.
gower flower (Shirl)
Welsh Undresser
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Sweet synchronicity

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2006, 11:05:13 AM »

Next year is a Big Anniversary for Fairport - so maybe then.......? Tiara

That's not dirt, it's patination!
Tasha
shocking in parts but very good
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Shropshire

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2006, 11:51:24 AM »

I don't think the L and L line-up could play Croppers this year, as Richard Thompson isn't playing, is he? Unless he's making an unscheduled appearance.
No but he is around in this country sometime about then Wink

They broke my heart and they killed me, but I didn't die. They tried to bury me, they didn't realise I was a seed.
Simon Care
A good head for squeezeboxes

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2006, 05:56:12 PM »

It was said "And written by Simon Care...now he should know "

The answer to that is no i don't know. That is why i asked the question as to whether any one else had heard the rumour.
The lack of anyone knowing anything suggests that it is exactly that .....a rumour!
I would so love it to be true but we can dream can't we

Simon Care
Malcolm
crazily brandishing my swat
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Powys

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2006, 06:31:14 PM »

It was said "And written by Simon Care...now he should know "

The answer to that is no i don't know. That is why i asked the question as to whether any one else had heard the rumour.
The lack of anyone knowing anything suggests that it is exactly that .....a rumour!
I would so love it to be true but we can dream can't we

Simon Care

Next question - has the Cropredy set list been established yet? That might give a clue. Bearing in mind the accoustic section have only got about eight days off in the whole of June/July, possibly not.

Jack O Diamonds
Hard Card

Gone, Gone, Gone

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2006, 06:50:30 PM »

I bloody hope they do L&L... I hope they do FC, WWDOOH and Unhalfbricking as well... the 2002 Friday set was a shining lamp of hope in a rocky waste of the increasingly twee, winsome and egregious. In fact it was SUPERB... as they went into "Time Will Show The Wiser" I was in a close facsimile of a personal heaven. Now next time, folks (sic), I want Violets of Dawn and Mormning Glory as welll... hello... hello... is ANYONE listening??

Also since FC L&L went down so well at the Folk Awards last year (or earlier this year? I'm getting very old...) I am pretty sure they'll do the gig in 2007. AND I AIN'T MISSING THAT!!!

So we beat on. boats against the current...
Simon Care
A good head for squeezeboxes

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2006, 08:34:57 PM »

"Next question - has the Cropredy set list been established yet? That might give a clue. Bearing in mind the accoustic section have only got about eight days off in the whole of June/July, possibly not."

Well, yet again no point asking me. The first time i see the Cropredy set list is about 5.00pm on the saturday.
Maybe i could come onstage and we'll play setlist charades.     Is it a book? Film? song? etc etc

Simon

martin driver
I like the cut of his gibberish
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Surbiton

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2006, 12:29:51 AM »

"Next question - has the Cropredy set list been established yet? That might give a clue. Bearing in mind the acoustic section have only got about eight days off in the whole of June/July, possibly not."

The Cropredy set list has to be by necessity be quite flexible, with guest artistes appearing with the band, timing is pretty much impossible to judge, it's not an exact science.
At Cropredy in 2004 Peggy had the task of compiling the "set list" for the Saturday night. This he did back stage in his camper van during the afternoon, finishing around 5pm.  I then spent the next hour toiling away in the festival office producing around 30 copies for artists and crew, around 30 x  2 x A4 sheets ( a three and a half hour set demands a long list) 
At around 6pm it became apparent that a certain guest was not going to appear, this meant a change to the set list was necessary, so Peggy sat down and speedily re- wrote it. Changes made, I set about copying the amended list, yes another 30 copies requiring 30 x 2 x A4 sheets.
My task finally completed with little more than 30 minutes to spare before FC took to the stage, I rushed them hot of the press to Simon Care the stage manager to distribute to the artists and his crew.
As you are aware, the music must cease at midnight, therefore sometime between 11pm and 11.30pm a collective decision is made by the band. If they consider it necessary due to time restraints, the list will change yet again, any lost time will be recovered by dropping some numbers from set.

Only nine weeks to go folks ! can't wait.

PS. apologies for topic drift
Anna
I'll be Susan
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: London Colney, near St Albans, Herts

That's her, with the fluteystick...

« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2006, 12:46:36 PM »

Nine Weeks!  Hurrah!!! Smiley

I'd be interested in a L&L revisiting moment.  Have to admit I've never really got on with the album, but perhaps hearing the songs live, with suitable introductions would help.  Chris While would make a fab Sandy dep, or how about a vote for young Beth Neilsen-Chapman.  She blew me away last year, but probably isn't in this country this time around.  I'd definitely vote for a "retrospective" next year, but there may be some who feel it's too close to the last one - although there's been a lot of water under the bridge since then and some of the newer stuff (I feel) should be held for posterity in the Cropredy format.

Thinking about the rapidly changing set-list, isn't it amazing how people can remember enough songs?  To have enough songs in your head at once for a 3 1/2 hour set is one thing (and an achievement in itself), to have "spare" songs worked up to a gig-able standard as well is incredible!  Not to mention remembering what happens in the one-off Cropredy arrangement of any given song...  And it all sounds so easy from where I'm sitting too.

Flute player seeks ragtime band...
Jack O Diamonds
Hard Card

Gone, Gone, Gone

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2006, 06:51:43 PM »

I'd definitely vote for a "retrospective" next year, but there may be some who feel it's too close to the last one

To quote the erstwhile Tennis great, John Patrick McEnroe (for it was he): You cannot be serious!

Also V Meldrew Esq: "I don't believe it..."

Too close to the last one? 2002? Shurely shome mishtake... I demand a full retrospective in 2007. In fact you can sacrifice all the "present line up" exertions and give the whole weekend over to Pre-1971 FC!!!

johnthegonne

Loc: West Kent

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2006, 08:25:49 PM »

Nice one Jack. Although I would push the line-ups to the Farewell Farewell days. After all, the 4 piece were a great band during the early reunions. I've often felt that Trevor's work is under represented at Cropredy. Also, I shouldn't make too much of this, but can anyone really see a 50th anniversary? I don't even know if I'd make it myself at a sprightly 62! We'd need a giant stairlift to the portaloos! Maybe a Liege and Leif festival in 2009, with a line up geared towards all the bands it "influenced" down the years. It would also be 30 years after the band officially split up.

I used to be a Secondspur
Jack O Diamonds
Hard Card

Gone, Gone, Gone

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2006, 08:33:14 PM »

Nice one Jack. Although I would push the line-ups to the Farewell Farewell days. After all, the 4 piece were a great band during the early reunions. I've often felt that Trevor's work is under represented at Cropredy. Also, I shouldn't make too much of this, but can anyone really see a 50th anniversary? I don't even know if I'd make it myself at a sprightly 62! We'd need a giant stairlift to the portaloos! Maybe a Liege and Leif festival in 2009, with a line up geared towards all the bands it "influenced" down the years. It would also be 30 years after the band officially split up.

Good call! Now I am definitely up for L&L 40 in 2009! Having spent six months playing chess on the beach with the grim reaper I am not at all sure that 2017 ("FC50") is necessarily on the cards! But a big shindig involving the L&L line-up in 2009 would be great. I will start the bidding for set-list and other featured artistes at L&L Cropredy 2009.... when I get round to it... Sweeney's Men... Swarb and Carthy... Planxty?

In the meantime let's look forward to a FC1/2/3 (FC, WWDOOH & UH) at the 2007 fest....

PLW (Peter)
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2006, 11:39:30 AM »

Has Vikki Clayton gone off the radar as a Sandy dep?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: