TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 27, 2024, 11:21:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: L&L rumours?  (Read 53753 times)
Jack O Diamonds
Hard Card

Gone, Gone, Gone

« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2006, 12:23:49 PM »

Has Vikki Clayton gone off the radar as a Sandy dep?

Did a very good "I'll Keep It With Mine" in 2002... my numero uno ever FC track! And Ric T Bizkid's fab guitar... Aaaah!

So we beat on. boats against the current...
Neil Morrell
Candlestick in the Library
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: St Helens, Lancs

Be careful Mr President - I think he's drunkkk!

« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2006, 08:43:30 PM »

One can only hope  Grin

No longer active on TAW.  Cheers Y'all!!
MarkC
is no Snoop Dogg

« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2006, 01:38:59 AM »

In fact you can sacrifice all the "present line up" exertions and give the whole weekend over to Pre-1971 FC!!!

Yecch.

Jack O Diamonds
Hard Card

Gone, Gone, Gone

« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2006, 07:51:02 PM »

In fact you can sacrifice all the "present line up" exertions and give the whole weekend over to Pre-1971 FC!!!

Yecch.

You're clearly foreign.... what does "Yecch" mean... precisely now?? Then I'll come back and attack... if necessary...

Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2006, 10:11:07 PM »

I meant to collar swarb on sunday night, re - the possibilty of this coming off
 and when i spoke to him it was as much as i could do to wish him all the best(isnt he little)

i wondered if yecch means what it sounds like, but im with Jackie on this one , very much so

The Dude abides
PLW (Peter)
I didn't understand it then, and I don't now.
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Worcester

Words between the lines of age

« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2006, 11:00:06 PM »

One can only hope  Grin

Meaning what exactly? She does a wonderful job on the 1992 live Cropredy CD.
Anji
But is it art?
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Edinburgh

How light becomes the soul

« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2006, 11:16:07 PM »

One can only hope  Grin
Meaning what exactly? She does a wonderful job on the 1992 live Cropredy CD.

I think she's considered uncool, Pet.

Me? I think she's fab.
Good wide-ribbon of a voice, she has shades of delicacy as well as raunch, strong delivery, is lyrically entertaining, and has an adventurous twinkle.

Smiley

...better than I was and not as good as I will be...
Neil Morrell
Candlestick in the Library
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: St Helens, Lancs

Be careful Mr President - I think he's drunkkk!

« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2006, 11:24:11 PM »

It's not that she's uncool, or particularly untalented, although I wouldn't go out of my way.

It's the way she treads that thin, yet clearly defined line between passing tribute and consuming obsession that I find a wee bit scary.

Anyway - I think we'll just have agree to disagree on this!

No longer active on TAW.  Cheers Y'all!!
Anji
But is it art?
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Edinburgh

How light becomes the soul

« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2006, 11:26:37 PM »

It's the way she treads that thin, yet clearly defined line between passing tribute and consuming obsession that I find a wee bit scary.

Oh, I like that!  Grin Grin Grin

Pint in the Cesbah  Smiley

...better than I was and not as good as I will be...
MarkC
is no Snoop Dogg

« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2006, 06:12:35 PM »

Yecch.

You're clearly foreign.... what does "Yecch" mean... precisely now?? Then I'll come back and attack... if necessary...

Nothing personal to you, honest...I just am not that attracted to an exclusive diet of  nostalgia. A little, I can enjoy. Plus, dismissing out of hand an entire catalogue of work that spans 35 years seems a little...unrealistic, let's say.
Jack O Diamonds
Hard Card

Gone, Gone, Gone

« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2006, 12:54:08 PM »

Yecch.

Nothing personal to you, honest...I just am not that attracted to an exclusive diet of  nostalgia. A little, I can enjoy. Plus, dismissing out of hand an entire catalogue of work that spans 35 years seems a little...unrealistic, let's say.

Not anything to do with nostalgia.... more to do with the high qaulity of the "older" repertoire than the rubbish currently peddled. It does happen to be true that "modern" music is almost entirely ****... derivative at best...  So yes.... I want quality and that is more guaranteed by pre-1971 than post 1980.... Yeeeuchh indeed

Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2006, 08:10:18 PM »

wise words from auld Jackie

The Dude abides
PLW (Peter)
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2006, 11:36:28 AM »

It does happen to be true that "modern" music is almost entirely ****... derivative at best... 

Forgive me, but you sound like someone who is turning into their own grandad! Aren't you falling into the trap that all generations do, of thinking that the music of their own youth is better than everyone else's?
Ian_
blazzawazzada brortewtomay
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Warwickshire

None the wiser

« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2006, 11:59:10 AM »

I find this a really interesting topic: The music of my 'youth' (adolescence) was the eighties and early nineties music.
   Even at the time, most of my friends and myself thought it was mostly garbage. We had to start looking backwards, to become explorers, in order to find interesting stuff to listen to. Even now, I think the music of that period (say 82-92) was the worst in the last fifty years of rock of pop, and the music of today (top 40 mostly excluded) seems to me far better than the music of twenty years ago. Just a matter of personal taste, of course  Smiley

The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science." Albert Einstein
Pete Standing
Cheesy Wonder

Loc: Oxford UK

fka Cheesy

« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2006, 12:35:32 PM »

It’s getting on for 40 years since those defining albums were made and all of the musicians involved will have moved on and developed their styles, methods and vision about music. To expect them to have to play the way they did back then I think is unfair because they would, no doubt, have new ideas on interpreting that material just the same way that the current line up of Fairport does. Furthermore, to expect another person to interpret Sandy’s way of doing things I think is a heavy and unjust burden. Should a reunion of that side happen, surely it should be up to the band who is appointed vocalist and up to that singer to interpret as he or she feels fit. We don’t own these guys and we can’t expect them to be basically what would be an authentic tribute band. Let’s give them some slack to delight and surprise us in new ways.

Oh and BTW, just to be a hypocrite, how about our own Ellie? She has a cracking voice, an assured manner and charisma on stage and is prepared to throw a bit of caution to the wind with some fine interpretations of traditional and contemporary songs.

If the devil is so bad, why has he got all the best tunes?
Jack O Diamonds
Hard Card

Gone, Gone, Gone

« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2006, 01:31:30 PM »

It does happen to be true that "modern" music is almost entirely ****... derivative at best... 

Forgive me, but you sound like someone who is turning into their own grandad! Aren't you falling into the trap that all generations do, of thinking that the music of their own youth is better than everyone else's?

No forgiveness.... only eternal damnation and being chased through time by the Eumenides... Look I actually do like some of what is pushed as music these days although most of my interests have long turned to "World" music, North African especially, eschewing the lamentable lowlands of much contemporary "rock/foilk/blues/what have you".

Who do I like? Paul Weller can be seen as consistently high quality from 1977 to date, particularly in the late 90's. Jeff might not have been Tim Buckley (massive personal fave from the very old days!) but "Grace" is a remarkable album... What else? Barrel scraping... From time to time Oasis were a great live band albeit an extraordinarily derivative one... Who else? Tell me what I am missing... I Love Primal Scream's "Country Girl"...

You see much of what passes for rock/folk/blues nowadays is Postmodern... at best.... References are to Bob Dylan, maybe James Taylor (Norah Jones, Katy Dreadful Melua, James Utterly Abject Blunt...), to The Beatles or Stones (Oasis) etc etc. The canonical references are pre-1980, most pre-1976. The early '80s was utter dross in most cases. The 90's witnessed recoveries of traditions, tastes and the digital recording technology began to repair the ghastly soundscapes of the 80's... Singers reference that period and it is difficult to hit the same heights. Joni Mitchell doesn't even sing anymore...

The whole cultural context is different as well (see separate exegesis for ground breaking exagmination around thoise fortifications).....

FACT Fairport have been one of the most influential bands of all time (well since Buddy Holly strapped on his Fender anyway) but with the possible esxception of the ersatz Fotheringay II line up in the mid-70's they have been in decline ever since. Before 1971? Regardless of my age, my auto-grandfatherhood or whatever the classic age of much of what we love was forged between 1956 and 1979 (December 31). Of course there will always be islands of recovery but even those  refer to an earlier period...

I also love Hank Williams... Benny Goodman... Delius.... Vaughan Williams, Debussy, Ravel....

SO TELL ME, WHAT AM I MISSING IN MY UNDOUBTED DOTAGE?

And being nearly 85 I have foregotten the original point.

PLW (Peter)
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2006, 03:48:18 PM »

I rest my case, Grandad!
Jack O Diamonds
Hard Card

Gone, Gone, Gone

« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2006, 03:53:21 PM »

I rest my case, Grandad!

I thought you were going to regale me with a schedule of groups/singers/albums/mp3 downloads I should be grooving to.... Anyway I also quite liked the cut of The Libertines although saw that as very derivative in any case..... Come on, sonny.... you mader the point.... WHAT AM I MISSING?

The reverberating sound of silence (and I don't mean Paul Simon).......

FACE IT KID, YOU WERE BORN TOO LATE.... GLOBAL WARMING AND SCHEIDT BANDS..... IT'S A LOTTERY!!

Oh yeah.... I like The Eighteenth Day of May

MarkC
is no Snoop Dogg

« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2006, 04:07:15 PM »

You are missing a LOT of really good music through closed mindedness...and not just with Fairport Convention. A while back, a big band "expert" came to lecture my son's musical group; he made the claim---with the same conviction as you---that not one decent song had been written since 1958. And he wouldn't even consider the possibilty that he was---at best!---being highly subjective. He cheated himself our of almost 50 years of music.

All western music is derivative of something...including early Fairport. If you don't think so, then you never heard the Byrds or the Band...who in turn were derivative of Woody Guthrie and others. You find nothing listenable in current Fairport Convention? Oh, well. I hope they keep the first 3 records in print for you forever.

Btw, I have had the exact same discussion with people about Little Feat, the Band, and The Kinks.
Jack O Diamonds
Hard Card

Gone, Gone, Gone

« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2006, 04:14:32 PM »

You are missing a LOT of really good music through closed mindedness...and not just with Fairport Convention. A while back, a big band "expert" came to lecture my son's musical group; he made the claim---with the same conviction as you---that not one decent song had been written since 1958. And he wouldn't even consider the possibilty that he was---at best!---being highly subjective. He cheated himself our of almost 50 years of music.

All western music is derivative of something...including early Fairport. If you don't think so, then you never heard the Byrds or the Band...who in turn were derivative of Woody Guthrie and others. You find nothing listenable in current Fairport Convention? Oh, well. I hope they keep the first 3 records in print for you forever.

Btw, I have had the exact same discussion with people about Little Feat, the Band, and The Kinks.

Little Feat... The Band.... now you're talking!  Sorry but in plain terms I find the current line up's repertoire cosy, slippers before the fire, "let's all have a few pints" PROSAIC. Utterly dreadful songs for the most part and an inability/unwillingness to adapt Trad Arr versions of great ballads despite being some of the best musicians around  etc etc etc. But you again, just like the other young fella me lad have FAILED to offer me even a few names of people I may be missing... I SAY AGAIN... WHO AM I MISSING???

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: