TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 27, 2024, 07:02:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: L&L rumours?  (Read 53752 times)
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #40 on: July 03, 2006, 04:30:27 PM »

Why worry about it JoD. If the music you like is the music of your youth then listen to it and enjoy it. It is your opinion that it is the best, not every one needs to agree. For many people a glass of white wine and Katie Melua on the CD is what they want, fine let them get on with it.

I could advise that you listen to The Streets, Dizzee Rascal, Orbital, Cypress Hill, Grandmaster Flash, Fat Boy Slim or any other number of artists who have produced some superb music over the past twenty years. Non derivative, innovative artists who have and continue to gave major influence. BUT, it is because they have developed their own genres.

Rock / folk rock / country rock came out of the 1960s and early 70s so it is obvious that anyone else in these genres will look back to the originals who influenced them.

Feel free to say the artists I mention are ****, but they all are originals who have moved popular music on from where they found it. Whcih brings us full circle I would suggest as that is what L&L era Fairport did.

Jackdaw (currently listening to Andy Murray losing at Wimbledon)
Jack O Diamonds
Hard Card

Gone, Gone, Gone

« Reply #41 on: July 03, 2006, 04:40:50 PM »

STUFF AESTHETIC RELATIVISM! Wink

Anyway Grandnmaster Flash must come under Tradiutional Music by noew you old devil jackdaw!

Dizzee Rascal? Bring me my rabbit hunting shotgun!

So we beat on. boats against the current...
greglin (Gregg)
Waving my cheery plumber off
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Carrickfergus N. Ireland

Slainthe chugat

« Reply #42 on: July 03, 2006, 05:09:44 PM »

Grew up - & still listen to - 1970s music, including FC. Fair to say that - with the possible exception of Yes, Tull, King Crimson & FC, none of those bands had a shelf life of more than a few years and the majority produced jacksh*t worth listening to after the first three albums or so.

I saw the various incarnations of FC at the 30th - or was it the 35th -  Anniversary show and each had its own value & charm. ( Gottle still remains totally outside the Pale). So the L & L line up would be interesting - but I'd attach more importance to the material than the lineup I think. hell - even Cream's reunion gigs last year weren't as great as they should have been.

And as for modernity - there ain't nothing that ain't been done better before. And with the possible exception of Bjork and U.N.K.L.E. , there hasn't been any originality for years either. But my last buys have been The Raconteurs and Skin ( ex Skunk Anansie) and, hitting 50, I still reckon I'm open to new ideas and new sounds. The chances of actually hearing any are I admit slim.

A little off topic - but it's my age you know................................

I caught a falling star, it cut my hands to pieces.
PLW (Peter)
I didn't understand it then, and I don't now.
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Worcester

Words between the lines of age

« Reply #43 on: July 03, 2006, 05:24:16 PM »

Most eras are full of musical ****. It's hindsight that sorts out the wheat from the chaff. When Liege and Lief came out so did "Two Little Boys" by Rolf Harris and "Sugar Sugar" by The Archies. And millions of things we've all forgotten about.

As to what you should be listening to now, Jack, that's not for me to say. If you want to believe that nothing good has happened since 1969, that's your loss.
Anne T
I'm obviously missing the point here

Loc: Berkshire

« Reply #44 on: July 03, 2006, 07:43:13 PM »

Jack o D - I also like The Eighteenth Day of May, but even they are a bit derivative of a certain group we've all heard of...... especially on "The Flowers of the Forest".

Recent(ish) things I've liked have been by Arcade Fire, British Sea Power, Wilco, The Go-Betweens and James Yorkston. I love looking for new music, but still listen to FC for a disproportinate amount of time!
Sir Robert Peel
Our Man For All Seasons
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #45 on: July 04, 2006, 01:02:43 AM »

Have you two finished yet?  I'm trying to find out about this Liege and Lief Out-take album.

Know anything about it?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FAIRPORT-CONVENTION-LEIGE-OUTAKES-CD_W0QQitemZ130003762868QQihZ003QQcategoryZ58590QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem.

By the way - I'm actually enjoying this lively discussion very much indeed.  That's the point of this Board.  Keep it up.  Please.

Peel

tullist/raymond
I'll grab my shield and rhythm stick
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: river forest, illinois USA

the others knew nothing about spekkatacles

« Reply #46 on: July 04, 2006, 08:51:56 AM »

I wouldn't be  surprised if such a thing is afoot, I've had a bootleg tape of those sessions for several years obtained through the usual GDead channels, I think off some guy in Florida. Somewhat dodgy quality, mine could well be a third generation or so. Finally, depending on the price, and if its a sanctioned product, it certainly was needed by fanatics such as myself, but unless theres been a signifigant upgrade in sound, I'm sure  easily doable, it should either be free, or no more than 10 US dollars. What figure is  this individual suggesting, like 210$? Steer well clear unless you're in that tiny percentile where its only money.

"Be this gung or be this ho may glorious battle resurrect you"
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #47 on: July 04, 2006, 09:17:11 AM »

It's a boot.

Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #48 on: July 04, 2006, 09:17:55 AM »

did anyone think ootherwise?

The Dude abides
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #49 on: July 04, 2006, 09:19:46 AM »

Finally, depending on the price, and if its a sanctioned product,........

PLW (Peter)
I didn't understand it then, and I don't now.
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Worcester

Words between the lines of age

« Reply #50 on: July 04, 2006, 10:46:10 AM »

I rest my case, Grandad!

I thought you were going to regale me with a schedule of groups/singers/albums/mp3 downloads I should be grooving to.... Anyway I also quite liked the cut of The Libertines although saw that as very derivative in any case..... Come on, sonny.... you mader the point.... WHAT AM I MISSING?

The reverberating sound of silence (and I don't mean Paul Simon).......

FACE IT KID, YOU WERE BORN TOO LATE.... GLOBAL WARMING AND SCHEIDT BANDS..... IT'S A LOTTERY!!

Oh yeah.... I like The Eighteenth Day of May
. . .who aren't in the least derivative, of course.

And there I was thinking I was dealing with someone intelligent.... how wrong! Dumb point, dumbly made.

And there was I thinking I was dealing with someone with a sense of humour.. . how wrong. Very sad that people on this board have to stoop to such a level. Thankyou and goodnight!
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #51 on: July 04, 2006, 10:54:03 AM »

Hey PLW,

You simply fell into the mistake that many of us have done at times. We've assmed that our ideas and opinions are as valid as JoDs, once you realise that this is not the case everthing becomes much clearer.

I had thought once upon a time that I quite liked The Wood and the Wire but JoD made me see the error of my ways and I now know with absolute certainty that Fairport began going down hill in 1968, and that Ric Sanders, by virtue of him not being Dave Swarbrick, is in fact an evil troll.

Come on PLW feel the love, join us and be as one ...

Jackdaw o'Diamonds
Sir Robert Peel
Our Man For All Seasons
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #52 on: July 04, 2006, 11:37:42 AM »

Let's not get into personal abuse and side swipes.  Let's leave that to other Boards.

I've held back, as a Moderator, because I like to hear lively debates between people with strongly held views, a library's worth of knowledge, and a good dollop of humour.   But....

Personal abuse will be deleted.  That's the Board's policy.

Don't make me intervene - that's all I'm saying. 

Peel
Global Moderator
217 years

[attachment deleted by admin]
fat Billy(Bill)
Babycham Bill
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: deepest suffolk

may decay in direct sunlight

« Reply #53 on: July 04, 2006, 11:58:08 AM »

hear hear sir bob

lets be nice!!
david stevenson
Umm, anyone remember what this topic's about?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Kimbolton, Cambs

HB aka Haggis Botherer. Never touched it, honest

« Reply #54 on: July 04, 2006, 12:06:45 PM »

I think I'm with jack, but only up to a point.

For me the first five FC albums are peerless and epoch-making, shaping a vast amount of the music that we listen to today, including the innovators - the originality and genre-swapping of the first album, the arrival of Sandy and the emergence of the songwriting talent in the band with RT in WWDOOH, the premonitory rumblings of Unhalfbricking, the glorious fulfilment of L&L and the joyous instrumental blends of Full House.

They were made and they're still there and they are the only FC albums that I've repurchased on CD.  But trying to recreate the sound using the same line up - NOOO!!!.  Everyone has moved on - and as a fervent admirer of Chris While, she is not Sandy, sorry.

Leave it alone and listen to the albums.

Please.

And I love The Band more than any musical ensemble in history, but have they done anything together or individually since the split in 1975 that's worth 5% of what went before?

Music From Big Pink, The Band, Stagefright, Northern Lights Southern Cross and the Last Waltz.  I've got'em all - and I can play them any time I like. Nuf said

And the 80s were undeniably sh*te.

David  

I built the ships that sailed this river
I cut the stones that built this town
I rolled the steel at Dixons Blazes
I cried inside as they tore it all down

- STILL MY CITY
MarkC
is no Snoop Dogg

« Reply #55 on: July 09, 2006, 07:59:16 PM »

I think I'm with jack, but only up to a point.

For me the first five FC albums are peerless and epoch-making, shaping a vast amount of the music that we listen to today, including the innovators - the originality and genre-swapping of the first album, the arrival of Sandy and the emergence of the songwriting talent in the band with RT in WWDOOH, the premonitory rumblings of Unhalfbricking, the glorious fulfilment of L&L and the joyous instrumental blends of Full House.

They were made and they're still there and they are the only FC albums that I've repurchased on CD.  But trying to recreate the sound using the same line up - NOOO!!!.  Everyone has moved on - and as a fervent admirer of Chris While, she is not Sandy, sorry.

Leave it alone and listen to the albums.

Please.

And I love The Band more than any musical ensemble in history, but have they done anything together or individually since the split in 1975 that's worth 5% of what went before?

Music From Big Pink, The Band, Stagefright, Northern Lights Southern Cross and the Last Waltz.  I've got'em all - and I can play them any time I like. Nuf said

And the 80s were undeniably sh*te.

David 

The Band's album Jericho was, IMO, as good as anything they ever did before; better, in some ways. Their final record, "Jubilation" would have been up there too, but for Levon's throat problems at the time.

Look, I enjoy the early Fairport...but to completely dismiss the following 35+ years of music is absurd to me. Frankly, if I had to pick their finest recorded moment (so far), to my ear it would be "Jewel in the Crown." Followed closely by "The Wood and the Wire" and "Nine." I like" L&L" sorta, love "Unhalfbricking," and find "Full House" unlistenable (although I love "House Full"). To each his/her own, right?

Chris While is no Sandy Denny, Sandy Denny was no Simon Nicol, Chris Leslie is no Richard Thompson and Richard Thompson is no Chris Leslie. So what?
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #56 on: July 09, 2006, 08:22:08 PM »

markc
are you writing gags  for anyone? because you should be
that is some of the funniest stuff iv'e read in years, the RT and CL stuff is priceless
can you write me one about aNna RYder and Sandy?

to each his own, like you said

The Dude abides
Jack O Diamonds
Hard Card

Gone, Gone, Gone

« Reply #57 on: July 10, 2006, 03:03:42 AM »

to each his own, like you said

Jewel In The Crown the finest moment? To each his own? OK... You are being too nice Jim!!

I think I'll start another thread about how "The Da Vinci Code" is the best book since Ulysses.

So we beat on. boats against the current...
Harry (Jules)

Loc: Banburyshire

« Reply #58 on: July 13, 2006, 01:41:11 PM »

Has Vikki Clayton gone off the radar as a Sandy dep?

I sincerely hope not, as the Sandy songs she performed last night were as strong as ever, despite Vikki suffering from travel fatigue. (An audio interview with Vikki will be on the next Brolly, listen out for the Rocky Horror story!)

Jules Smiley

Promoting the music, heritage and characters of Banburyshire.
www.banburyshire.net
Pete Standing
Cheesy Wonder

Loc: Oxford UK

fka Cheesy

« Reply #59 on: July 13, 2006, 03:07:32 PM »

At the BBC F&A awards this year, Chris While sang Matty Groves in a style which was spookily reminiscent of Sandy. Nevertheless, there were some subtle differences and I would bet money that it was a fine balance between wanting to honour Sandy’s part but also to show that Chris is her own woman. Quite honestly, I think it is unfair to expect anyone to take on the mantle of Sandy, to emulate her. Are we looking for a tribute band? Isn’t it time we all moved on?

If the devil is so bad, why has he got all the best tunes?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: