TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 28, 2024, 01:40:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: L&L rumours?  (Read 53756 times)
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #60 on: July 13, 2006, 03:24:26 PM »

I rather think everybody has moved on, but isnt it nice just to take stock of where we've been every now and again

But, should the remanants of the L&L line up decide that a money spinning tour is on the cards, and its their right so to do,theres nothing wrong with speculating as to who would fill in for Sandy and it seems that Chris While is in the box seat at present

For myself ,i would love it to happen, and if is going to happen then much better sooner than later, nobody in the line up is getting any younger and neither am i

The Dude abides
david stevenson
Umm, anyone remember what this topic's about?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Kimbolton, Cambs

HB aka Haggis Botherer. Never touched it, honest

« Reply #61 on: July 13, 2006, 03:26:24 PM »

Isn’t it time we all moved on?

Never a truer word, Pete.

I built the ships that sailed this river
I cut the stones that built this town
I rolled the steel at Dixons Blazes
I cried inside as they tore it all down

- STILL MY CITY
Jack O Diamonds
Hard Card

Gone, Gone, Gone

« Reply #62 on: July 13, 2006, 11:04:41 PM »

Isn’t it time we all moved on?

Never a truer word, Pete.

"time we all moved on" meaning what? Forget the idea of the superb L&L line-up getting together for a few well-rehearsed, high-quality gigs? Not on your life. The alternativesa are too horrific. While the possibility is there I am shouting from the rooftops. Brian Wilson doing Pet Sounds and Smile was fantastic... so could a full-power L&L!

ON THAT BASIS I AIN'T MOVING NOWHERE

So we beat on. boats against the current...
Mortimer

Loc: London/St Albans

« Reply #63 on: July 14, 2006, 09:49:52 AM »

It appears from my reading of this debate that it is possibly missing the point.  I have been a Fairport fan for 18 years and have massive amounts of time for the line-ups since 1989.  However, in my heart of hearts, a prefer the first four albums over any other music in my record collection.  This does not make me a reactionary who "needs to move on" it is just that the people who made those albums had a magic chemistry between them that for a too brief time produced music that changed my life.

I was at Cropredy in 1992 and 2002 (missed 1997 for some reason, probably a women involved I suspect) and I saw that magic again.  Now, if this rumour were true, I very much doubt that creative people like RT and AH would be happy simply taking L&L on the road.  It would be fun for we hard core people but I doubt either musically or financially rewarding for the band. 

On the other hand, if what is being proposed (and I know it is only a rumour) is for these people to work together in the spirit of L&L but with new ideas/material, then that would be something special. 
These people have a magic together that was not only great on L&L, listen to Iain's first solo album, No Roses even Bones of Old Men (I know AH was not on it).

As to singers, well why not Iain M.  There always seems to be a view at Cropredy that ex-members can only sing on songs they sang on originally.  However, Iain's singing of Sloth on the Plainsong album is fantastic, as was his singing on the Unhalf material at Cropredy 2002.

As to whether it happens or not I have no idea.  RT has talked about doing a trad folk album.  Why not with these people? 

Before this turns into an essay, I will sign off with the thought that life is all too short and if there is any interest within these people to work together again they should do it asap.  Wife permitting, I would attend every one.

"Musically we know it"
johnthegonne

Loc: West Kent

« Reply #64 on: July 17, 2006, 08:28:38 AM »

For those who missed it yesterday the Observer ran a 50 most influential albums of all time thingy. L&L came in at no 45.

I used to be a Secondspur
MarkC
is no Snoop Dogg

« Reply #65 on: July 17, 2006, 04:19:13 PM »

to each his own, like you said

Jewel In The Crown the finest moment? To each his own? OK... You are being too nice Jim!!

I think I'll start another thread about how "The Da Vinci Code" is the best book since Ulysses.

Um...comparing early Fairport to Ulysses? O..........K.

Enjoy the 60s.
PLW (Peter)
I didn't understand it then, and I don't now.
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Worcester

Words between the lines of age

« Reply #66 on: July 17, 2006, 05:23:23 PM »

to each his own, like you said

Jewel In The Crown the finest moment? To each his own? OK... You are being too nice Jim!!

I think I'll start another thread about how "The Da Vinci Code" is the best book since Ulysses.

Um...comparing early Fairport to Ulysses? O..........K.

Enjoy the 60s.

A few years ago I was in Edinburgh suffering a hugely pretentious self-indulgent music-theatre-dance-expressionist extravaganza thingy. The bloke next to me leaned over and whispered, "I left the 1960s to get away from this sort of thing!"
Pat Helms
Long live Freewheelin' Franklin!!

Loc: E. TENNESSEE

Often wrong.....never in doubt

« Reply #67 on: July 17, 2006, 09:14:27 PM »

Enjoy the 60s.

I thought Joyce wrote it in the 1920s.  Wink
Jack O Diamonds
Hard Card

Gone, Gone, Gone

« Reply #68 on: July 18, 2006, 03:25:50 PM »

Enjoy the 60s.

Don't reply - it only encourages them..... 1922 to be precise... First Edition anyone?

MarkC
is no Snoop Dogg

« Reply #69 on: July 18, 2006, 08:58:23 PM »

Enjoy the 60s.

I was referring to early Fairport and disliking anything after *1970.  Roll Eyes

*Whether one has bothered to actually listen to it or not...
Neil
About to blow
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Oregon

« Reply #70 on: July 19, 2006, 04:44:16 AM »

It seems that in order to bring order to this debate the only sane thing to do is to wait until next years Cropredy when we shall all be able to compare and contrast to our hearts content.

At least then the personal comments and sniping may be moderated by beer consumption or not, until then can we play nice and admit that we are all entitled to our opinion however wrong or right it may be after all it's all subjective at the end of the day.

Now can you all join me as I open a bottle of Budweiser lean back and revel in the hoped for reunion of the Gottle of Geer lineup the only album never to have a track played at Cropredy, now that would be something to see wouldn't it. Huh

Things change all the time, and they'll probably never be the same again. It's just the natural evolution of the human condition. Guy Clark
Staffan
Swedes stun easily
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Skärhamn, Sweden

"Always look on the bright side of life..."

« Reply #71 on: July 19, 2006, 08:44:14 AM »

Now can you all join me as I open a bottle of Budweiser lean back and revel in the hoped for reunion of the Gottle of Geer lineup the only album never to have a track played at Cropredy, now that would be something to see wouldn't it. Huh

I could never join you in opening a  *********, almost anything else will do  Wink, but a Gottle line up at Croredy would be great fun Grin
Staffan

" -Just a roll, just a roll..."

" -I was 16 now and full of life..."
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Here To Help

« Reply #72 on: July 19, 2006, 08:55:31 AM »

in the bit of film i have of them the gottle line up were great live and would enhance everybodys festival experience
 see! that was after 1970 Smiley
mmmmmmmm 1970

The Dude abides
Jack O Diamonds
Hard Card

Gone, Gone, Gone

« Reply #73 on: July 19, 2006, 03:16:30 PM »

Bonny Bunch of Roses was a fine gigging band... faded glory but worthy all the same.

david stevenson
Umm, anyone remember what this topic's about?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Kimbolton, Cambs

HB aka Haggis Botherer. Never touched it, honest

« Reply #74 on: July 19, 2006, 04:13:26 PM »

Enjoy the 60s.

I was referring to early Fairport and disliking anything after *1970.  Roll Eyes

I don't DISLIKE anything produced after 1970.  I just prefer the first four albums, that's all.  It was seminal, different and exciting. Since then Fairport have simply become the major part of the consequences of what they started themselves.  No, take that sentence out or we'll be here for another week....... Tongue

I built the ships that sailed this river
I cut the stones that built this town
I rolled the steel at Dixons Blazes
I cried inside as they tore it all down

- STILL MY CITY
Jack O Diamonds
Hard Card

Gone, Gone, Gone

« Reply #75 on: July 19, 2006, 05:03:36 PM »

Enjoy the 60s.

I don't DISLIKE anything produced after 1970.  I just prefer the first four albums, that's all.  It was seminal, different and exciting. Since then Fairport have simply become the major part of the consequences of what they started themselves.  No, take that sentence out or we'll be here for another week....... Tongue

Correct... seminal, different, exciting..... it's a different scene now... Boozey, "good-natured", cosy, unchallenging, "mumsy"... maybe that's my biggest "gripe"... Come to think of it the best things in "popular" music since, say, 1970 have been Punk, the Manchester Scene and Raves. They were all "good things". I'd go back and restate my argument but i drink you know and I've feckin' forgotten what this thread ("Thread - more like a bleedin' carpet" - ed) was all about. And ANYEWAY no one has given me their closely-argued list of "great things" to happen since circa 1977.... I await with barely bated breath. There goes another week! Wink)

Neil
About to blow
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Oregon

« Reply #76 on: July 19, 2006, 05:26:13 PM »

The original purpose of this thread was to discuss rumours of a L&L lineup touring at some point. It has since turned into a running argument that has at times come close to personal insult.

There will always be disagreements about which lineup was best, who is the better fiddle player and which producer should the band use to give them more energy. Everyone is entitled to an opinion as long as it does not become destructive to the debate.

I find it hard to imagine seeing Ashley, DM, Mr Nicol, RT and Swarb with whoever they chose to sing being considered a gig people on this board would not attend. I also imagine that after the gig there would be people who would be incensed at the way ther revisited the old favourites, as lets face it I cannott imagine a tour consisting of a reenactment of past glories if it was to happen, they just don't seem the type of musicians to do that.

Things change all the time, and they'll probably never be the same again. It's just the natural evolution of the human condition. Guy Clark
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Here To Help

« Reply #77 on: July 19, 2006, 08:30:51 PM »

argument as to who is the best fiddler!!!???
does not compute, there can surely be no argument on this subject, the greatest fiddler the world has ever seen and the man who in consort with Dave Pegg is responsible for the fairport name still being used when it could easily have died in 1972 and 1976:- Dave Swarbrick

the rest of the previous post i can only agree with wholeheartedly

The Dude abides
Pat Helms
Long live Freewheelin' Franklin!!

Loc: E. TENNESSEE

Often wrong.....never in doubt

« Reply #78 on: July 19, 2006, 08:38:13 PM »

Correct... seminal, different, exciting..... it's a different scene now... Boozey, "good-natured", cosy, unchallenging, "mumsy"... maybe that's my biggest "gripe"... Come to think of it the best things in "popular" music since, say, 1970 have been Punk, the Manchester Scene and Raves. They were all "good things". I'd go back and restate my argument but i drink you know and I've feckin' forgotten what this thread ("Thread - more like a bleedin' carpet" - ed) was all about. And ANYEWAY no one has given me their closely-argued list of "great things" to happen since circa 1977.... I await with barely bated breath. There goes another week! Wink)
The Paisley Underground scene in LA during the mid-eighties was pretty exciting - if you were a fan of the Byrds, early Floyd and the Velvet Underground.  There were a whole slew of bands from it: Rain Parade, Long Ryders, Green on Red, the Bangles (before Prince got a hold of 'em!) and Dream Syndicate.  Great stuff - but, of course, nobody was interested at the time.....except crusty wannabe hipsters.......like myself.      
Mindwarper
Embrace your inner geeky prog freak
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: S.F. Ca. USA

Friendly Drunkard

« Reply #79 on: July 19, 2006, 09:51:37 PM »

[/quote]

I like a bunch of Fc post 1977. For example, I can give you expetive deleted. It is all instrumental and has many fine songs. They brought back 2 old guitarists for the final medley. Port Marion, Cat on the mixer, and Innstuck all have held the test of time, or at least to me. We all have our favorite eras or songs. I don't like the newer post Maart cds very much. They don't seem as inspired, but to write off everything the band has done post 1977 seems silly. Although I don't have all the new cds, they do contain some good songs. Spanish Main is one of em. So I disagree with your bold statement.  And I would love to see the l&l line up in any way shape or form.

Stop the violens, Visualise whirled peas
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: