TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 27, 2024, 08:34:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Positively Speaking!  (Read 72935 times)
barryanorak (Julian)

Loc: Thurgoland - no, really

The sun is a lightbulb, my fridge is a cow

« Reply #60 on: August 17, 2005, 10:17:29 AM »

Having had my first post in the problems, I felt the need to balance my yin with my yang...

Highlights

- Wuthering Heights by the Ukulele Orchestra - helpless with laughter I was.

- Meeting old friends again

- The feeling that 3 days in an Oxfordshire feild does more for my soul than 14 days on a Mediterranean Island...

- Anticipation of next year starting already

- making new friends (Marillion fans of the world unite!!!)

- a moment of madness that resulted in the purchase of a ukulele!  Grin

- that the continuing Cropredy vibe is still there and will continue for as long as we can keep it going.

- oh, and the HUGE tub of garlic mayonnaise outside the (non-senor moon) potato wedges stall - yum...

You have to be happy with what you have to be happy with
Penguin (Dunc)
O RLY?
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Royton, Lancashire

The Wrong Side of Weird!

« Reply #61 on: August 17, 2005, 12:43:46 PM »

- making new friends (Marillion fans of the world unite!!!)

There are a few of us Marillion fans on here (but don't tell the folkies)  Wink

It Doesn't Stop Being Magic Just Because You Know How It's Done!
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #62 on: August 17, 2005, 04:59:17 PM »

We loved it. Meeting old and new friends, pigging out on junk food, a bar you can get to at your slightest whim, loo rolls being replenished up to and including sunday morning, the vibe, brandy coffee nightcaps...oh, and some music  Grin
Skirky

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
John & Mo

Loc: Deep in the Norfolk Broads

I'm not old. I'm a Real Classic.

« Reply #63 on: August 17, 2005, 05:29:25 PM »

Can I offer a slightly different take on the positives of Cropredy - For many years the organisers (whether Chris & Peggy or the current team) have provided us, the ordinary punters, with the opportunity to make the Festival the uniquely addictive thing it is. We've spent plenty of time on this board talking about how THEY can make next year's event better and more trouble free. Perhaps it's time to ask what contribution we can make to it's success.
There's already plenty of evidence, from Walter cycling from Stuttgart to the activities of Fez heads and tiara wearers that we don't simply go as consumers of what's being served up to us - from stage, bar or stall - Even if I didn't get to the great celebration until my 50th. year - and I've only been 8 times in total, I've got the feeling that somehow Cropredy is mine and that gives me a responsibility to do whatever I can to make sure it's the best that it can be. Anyone feel the same? If so is there anything we can do about it?

John Stride.
steve-n
Ironic Hooverer

Loc: Leafy Warwickshire

« Reply #64 on: August 17, 2005, 06:07:01 PM »

I've got the feeling that somehow Cropredy is mine and that gives me a responsibility to do whatever I can to make sure it's the best that it can be. Anyone feel the same?
[/quote]

Absolutely - sometimes you see a post which sums up exactly how you feel.

Thank you.
Keith
Mostly Harmless
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Land of the Reivers, Scotland

Trying to save himself.

« Reply #65 on: August 17, 2005, 07:22:55 PM »

Utterly true. It's up to us to maintain the community atmosphere which is obviously still there but being crowded out by those who don't care for it.

Even little things like helping people with tents, tidying up rubbish you see, moving so someone can see better etc. can really make a difference.

Already free, and soon you can pay for it...

www.underminers.org
Paul
I've Got A Bike
Global Moderator

Loc: Hampshire

I was a fair young curate then.

« Reply #66 on: August 17, 2005, 08:04:33 PM »

I'm sure that it doesn't apply to people here, but I think the rubbish was dreadful this year. On Friday, us, and the family in front of us, duetifully collected our rubbish into plastic bags, to be carried off with us. As we left we were surrounded by a sea of rubbish. We still carried off our plastic bags and dumped them in the bin.

Hi to the family with the green alien BTW if you ever read this.

Paul

fat Billy(Bill)
Babycham Bill
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: deepest suffolk

may decay in direct sunlight

« Reply #67 on: August 17, 2005, 08:28:46 PM »

My 1st time at Croperdy. It was brill
great atmosphere
great beer
GREAT PEOPLE!!!...............you know who you are, and that includes the three wise women of the west.

in the words of big arnie
I'LL BE BACK!
Paul JM UK

Loc: Cheshire

more important than life and death...

« Reply #68 on: August 17, 2005, 08:35:56 PM »

Ditto here on the rubbish collection Paul

"So fine a breath of wind might blow her away..."

http://gotaukulele.blogspot.com/
Mix (Mic)
Cowcatcher for Coocachoo
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Staffs

Once more unto the breech...

« Reply #69 on: August 17, 2005, 10:02:16 PM »

Forgive me if I celebrate publicly one more personal positive, helped by Cropredy 2005.

Today I had my appointment with the psychologist, as usual...
full of the joys and spirit of our Cropredy, I sat and yapped, and told her all about the Festival
and the lovely people, the great atmosphere and the fantastic music...

I must have looked and sounded impressive because....in the nicest possible way of course....she has told me to go forth and multiply Grin Grin

So there you go.....Cropredy, healer of the spirit Smiley

Mic

Work like you don't need the money
Love like you've never been hurt
Dance like nobody's watching
foxylady

Loc: Gloucestershire

« Reply #70 on: August 17, 2005, 11:00:34 PM »

Forgive me if I celebrate publicly one more personal positive, helped by Cropredy 2005.

full of the joys and spirit of our Cropredy, I sat and yapped, and told her all about the Festival

I must have looked and sounded impressive because....in the nicest possible way of course....she has told me to go forth and multiply Grin Grin

Mic

I don't know the background to this, Mic, but well done Wink

And I agree about the rubbish, felt so sorry for the people who had to clear it all up. 

But, Cropredy happened after we all thought it might not, and it was wonderful to be there again, and to feel that life isn't so bad, after all.

The Sun WILL shine
Foxy
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #71 on: August 17, 2005, 11:01:54 PM »

Mic

Happy Daze, Mic, Happy Daze...

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
leahdon (Donna)
Secret Fez Admirer

Loc: Gloucestershire

« Reply #72 on: August 17, 2005, 11:42:57 PM »

Ditto here on the rubbish collection Paul

I don't think it was the rubbish collection as people not taking their rubbish away with them  Angry

Probably the same people who heckled the bands etc.

Cheers,

Donna
xx
Front Row Nik

Loc: Marchwiel, N Wales.

« Reply #73 on: August 18, 2005, 12:12:59 AM »

Hi Simon

Hope you do not think this is a naff message.  I just wanted to say, on behalf of all the 'front rowers', a BIG thanks for all you, and the backroom boys and girls have done to get Cropredy on this year.

No, it wasn't all perfect, but more than we ever dared think this time last year.

You all deserve a holiday, take care and thanks again!

Front Row Nic and friends.

Careful with that axe, Eugene.
Edthefolkie
The relish on the baguette

Loc: East Midlands, UK

Sir John gives me guidance

« Reply #74 on: August 18, 2005, 12:46:46 AM »

Thank heavens for some positives! Well my highlights off the top of me head were:

Meeting Talkawhilers at the bar Sat 1800-ish.   Fez Sorry I was incoherent but I had a bust collarbone, was p*ssed off because I couldn't attend Thur/Fri, and had had a few pints plus brown pills (prescribed) to compensate!

Rabbiting on to David Hughes about Sandy Denny. Sorry Dave.  Embarrassed

Downing two large glasses of Chinese (?) firewater in one. Thanks to the kind Talkawhiler for the drinkies - there is probably a dent in the one of the portaloos where I later bounced off the the door & nearly broke the other collarbone!  Grin Grin Grin

Realising there were five nurses, a plumber, a Ministry of Defence employee, a pharmacist, a doctor (well a gynaecologist) and two students, at least one of whom can play the fiddle, in our group. So nearly any eventuality was covered... and by the way, the gynaecologist is married to the plumber.  Cheesy

Richard Thompson as ever, even though I only saw him on Sat.

And if you look at this thread again Mr. Nicol, thanks for a great Saturday, we will all be back next year, we do appreciate what a mammoth job you guys have had. You are ALL part of our lives now, and we feel you are friends.

Sorry about long post, celebrating having two hands again! See some of you before next year, God willing. Cheers - Ed         

Sorry dear, Rabelais' off
Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Loc: South Oxon

Block and Chip

« Reply #75 on: August 18, 2005, 01:28:16 AM »

... and by the way, the gynaecologist is married to the plumber.  Cheesy

Said the actress to the bishop

You've got questions, we've got assumptions
martin driver
I like the cut of his gibberish
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Surbiton

« Reply #76 on: August 18, 2005, 11:36:17 AM »

I have been a little reluctant to post in this thread as I was working with and alongside Gareth Williams during the festival and felt a little uneasy about getting involved in this discussion but here goes.
Yes there was a problem with security and I know it caused Gareth a terrible headache as he tried to tighten up the general level of stewarding with very limited human resources. As Simon said in his earlier posting this is one area that will be addressed before next year. The reality is in any community of 18,000 souls, there will unfortunately be a few bad apples, it's rooting those few individuals out that's the problem, because as few as they thankfully are, they inflict a great deal of damage and discomfort on their victims.  By their very nature, it's impossible to make a tent secure, we individually and collectively must take the utmost care and responsibility for our valuables. There is a balance to be struck, we don't want to turn the camping sites in to Stalags, yet at the same time we do need to improve the monitoring of people entering the camping fields, it's a tricky one but a problem I know that will be addressed seriously.
One of the problems this year was the shortage of experienced stewards, over the years Christine had built up an army of such individuals, sadly Gareth had no list of previous helpers to work from. So if you feel you would like to get involved, I'm certain Gareth would be glad to hear from you when he starts to build his team for next year.
There were many positives this year, the general spirit of the event was great, the music was fab. the weather was, well, changeable but we've experienced worse.
Most of the negatives were outside the control of the festival, such as the fun fair and the Other Place, Gareth did place an objection to the magistrates when the Other Place applied for it's late licence but the magistrate knew best !

I can assure you with Gareth at the helm, the spirit of Cropredy is as strong as ever, the festival is in good hands. With our collective help and support it's possible it will continue to improve.

Thanks for your time, here's to Cropredy 2006
Cheers! martin
Big Dave
Virtual Giant
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hadfield (in the glorious High Peak of Derbyshire)

Stand us a pint guv!

« Reply #77 on: August 18, 2005, 11:44:11 AM »

Mic

Excellent news Mic!!!!   Keep up the good work  Wink

Live life, live love, Live for FAIRPORT!!!!!!
domjn
n3wb

« Reply #78 on: August 18, 2005, 11:52:55 AM »

This was my second year at Cropredy, and after last year me and my brother in law were made up that it was on again this year!  It was a great, relaxed three days in the sun (and rain...), and there's no way we should let a few gits ruin it all by stealing stuff.

Looking forward to 2006 already - at least, i am now my body has returned to it's normal temperature, and my clothes have dried off!

nice to see so many people of the same opinion! roll on next year!
Mix (Mic)
Cowcatcher for Coocachoo
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Staffs

Once more unto the breech...

« Reply #79 on: August 18, 2005, 11:58:02 AM »

Martin, Gareth, Fairport...
We'll all do everything we can to stop the moronic from taking over our very precious Cropredy!!!!

In the words of the profit Wink

Illigitimi
Non
Carborundum

Mic - Roll on Cropredy 2006 Grin Grin

Work like you don't need the money
Love like you've never been hurt
Dance like nobody's watching
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: