TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 09:38:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Positively Speaking!  (Read 72124 times)
leahdon (Donna)
Secret Fez Admirer

Loc: Gloucestershire

« Reply #80 on: August 18, 2005, 12:02:53 PM »

Without wanting this to seem like a comment in any way on the Peggs divorce, it is a great shame that Gareth had to organise Cropredy from scratch, without even a list of names for Stewards etc.

In the circumstances, I must say Go Gareth.  That was an amazing achievement in the circumstances.

Donna

Cheers,

Donna
xx
martin driver
I like the cut of his gibberish
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Surbiton

« Reply #81 on: August 18, 2005, 12:22:29 PM »

Without wanting this to seem like a comment in any way on the Peggs divorce, it is a great shame that Gareth had to organise Cropredy from scratch, without even a list of names for Stewards etc.

In the circumstances, I must say Go Gareth.  That was an amazing achievement in the circumstances.

Donna

Donna, just to clarify matters, there was no conspiracy on the part of Christine to withold any list of names etc. Said list never really existed in any formal format, it was predominately done previously by word of mouth and via the grapevine, hence this years difficulties. 
Big Dave
Virtual Giant
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hadfield (in the glorious High Peak of Derbyshire)

Stand us a pint guv!

« Reply #82 on: August 18, 2005, 12:34:03 PM »

One of the problems this year was the shortage of experienced stewards, over the years Christine had built up an army of such individuals, sadly Gareth had no list of previous helpers to work from. So if you feel you would like to get involved, I'm certain Gareth would be glad to hear from you when he starts to build his team for next year.

Thanks for your time, here's to Cropredy 2006
Cheers! martin
Martin / Gareth
I don't know what assistance I could be, but I would like to help in any way that I could.  Get in touch.
BD

Live life, live love, Live for FAIRPORT!!!!!!
martin driver
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #83 on: August 18, 2005, 12:36:05 PM »

BD, do you know the way to the bar ? that would be a great help.... Cheesy     

Seriously Big Dave, I think the time to register your interest in becoming part of the team would be after the winter tour. It's immediately after that, that Gareth enters his office to begin the 6 months of work it takes to put the festival on.
It'll be good have you aboard,
martin
Steve
Max Headroom
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Sussex

« Reply #84 on: August 18, 2005, 12:36:26 PM »

Considering all the things that could have gone horribly wrong, but didn't, I think this year's festival was a superb achievement.

A big hand to all concerned. It must have been terribly disheartening to have thieving and yobbish behaviour to deal with, but apart from that I thought it was a great success. Well done chaps and thanks for all your hard work.

If the security can be improved for next year then it will be perfect. I'll be there.  Fez
martin driver
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #85 on: August 18, 2005, 01:07:24 PM »

Martin, Gareth, Fairport...
We'll all do everything we can to stop the moronic from taking over our very precious Cropredy!!!!
In the words of the profit Wink Illigitimi Non Carborundum
Mic - Roll on Cropredy 2006 Grin Grin

And so say all of us Mix, although I wasn't aware that the prophets spoke latin, I endorse the sentiments.
johnthegonne

Loc: West Kent

« Reply #86 on: August 18, 2005, 01:13:09 PM »

BD, do you know the way to the bar ? that would be a great help.... Cheesy     

Seriously Big Dave, I think the time to register your interest in becoming part of the team would be after the winter tour. It's immediately after that, that Gareth enters his office to begin the 6 months of work it takes to put the festival on.
It'll be good have you aboard,
martin

I'm sure there are a lot of us on the board willing to help with stewarding, etc. Any chance of a link so we can sign up?

I used to be a Secondspur
martin driver
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #87 on: August 18, 2005, 01:25:20 PM »

When everyone has returned from their well earned but all too brief break, I will certainly put your suggestion forward John.

This is to clarify that I am not speaking in any official capacity in this thread, these are purely my personal observations. However I am confident in the knowledge that my thoughts mirror closely the aspirations of Gareth and the management team.
Dannny
n3wb

Loc: Dorking

« Reply #88 on: August 18, 2005, 02:12:21 PM »

I can assure you with Gareth at the helm, the spirit of Cropredy is as strong as ever, the festival is in good hands. With our collective help and support it's possible it will continue to improve.

First of all .. THANK YOU ..ALL OF YOU who organised and put on one of the best festivals that I have been to .. on behalf of the small group of people I came with (1 croppers virgin, a couple of veterans and for me, 2nd time).  I can probably only guess at how much hard work and headaches are involved in organising something like this.  Nothing is perfect, and what a boring world this would be if it was!!

All of us will be coming next year, and when I have finished running around telling everyone that they should come, I will probably be introducing a new set of lucky virgins to FAIRPORT'S CROPREDY.

I do not know you, but Graham, Martin, Simon and all .. WELL DONE!!..it was brilliant. See you all next year!!!  

ps.. next year put on a big funfair about 5 miles from Cropredy..with a bar and a Happy Hour and let the local scallies play with themselves!!!!

You are disoriented. Blackness swims toward you like a school of eels who have just seen something that eels like a lot.....
Rozza

Loc: Herts

« Reply #89 on: August 18, 2005, 02:32:10 PM »

I was only there on the Saturday, but had a great time with an eclectic choice of music topped by one of the best sets I've seen Fairport play recently. I reckon the rain brought out the Dunkirk spirit and I certainly didn't notice any dimuntion in the Cropredy atmosphere.

In front of me was a chap from Oxford in his 50s. We got talking between a couple of the acts, and he told me that he hadn't heard of Fairport until the previous Tuesday when his girlfriend took him to The Mill. He thought that was great, so they had decided to come to the festival on Friday and Saturday. He thought the whole thing was brilliant, and the friendship among the crowd, the mix of music, and the overall ambience better than anything he had experienced before!

This is what Cropredy is all about, and I think Gareth and the team did a fantastic job overall. Roll on next year!
moodyphil
n3wb

Loc: Cheshire

« Reply #90 on: August 18, 2005, 04:15:56 PM »

We (me, my wife Carole and our two teenagers) went to our first Cropredy Saturday at the weekend and had the most wonderful time despite the weather. We were originally encouraged to go by our kids after they really enjoyed a Fairport concert earlier in the year, and saw the Saturday night lineup for the festival on the flyer. Couldn't keep my daughter out of the clothes stalls, where she stocked up on snazzy tops and t-shirts, and now can't wait to show them to her friends back at school. My son especially appreciated the food stalls and the bar!

We caught the music from Uscedwyr onwards and we all enjoyed every minute. Carole and I have been going to see Fairport live regularly for the past 20 years, and their set on Saturday evening was brilliant. The atmosphere on our side of the arena field (near the bar and CD test) was very friendly, and we experienced no problems on the camp site, but then we were on the distant reaches of field 7 and appreciated the peace and quiet in the small hours.

Looking forward to next year already!

Best wishes to all involved - well done, it was fantastic!!

Phil
acollier (Ann)

Loc: Oxfordshire

« Reply #91 on: August 18, 2005, 05:57:13 PM »

I really enjoyed Cropredy this year-
Asking a random bloke in Field 6 if he could help putting up my tent,
meeting Mix and someone else by the bar on Friday night,
The fun spirit of the whole thing.
Loos with paper and HOT water.
Potato wedges with beans and cheese sauce.
Actually getting some sleep this year.

And all this at an event I'm "working" at- there's not many St. John duties I'll book leave for as soon as I get my leave card!

PS- sorry about the rain- my fault- I'd just taken the tent down... Smiley

Ann

Mix (Mic)
Cowcatcher for Coocachoo
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Staffs

Once more unto the breech...

« Reply #92 on: August 18, 2005, 06:31:22 PM »

Hi Ann, it was lovely to meet you Smiley
Next year we'll arrange to meet up whilst you're on a longer break Smiley

Mic

Work like you don't need the money
Love like you've never been hurt
Dance like nobody's watching
Pastieboy (Trev)
Cookie Monster
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: grantham

Remember me I'm still your native son.

« Reply #93 on: August 18, 2005, 11:37:49 PM »

If Simon Nicol was ever  to have  a day off  . His volunteer  replacement is right behind him Grin Grin practicing  .Give me  another 39 years . Fez

[attachment deleted by admin]

You are what you eat !!!
Jan M
n3wb

Loc: Crouch End, London

« Reply #94 on: August 22, 2005, 03:57:38 PM »

I've been lurking around the board for years, but felt moved to sign up just so that I could say a huge thank you to the organisers of this year's festival. Gareth's debriefing post sounded so despondent I wanted to let him and the others know that they did a fabulous job, all their hard work and planning paid off as far as the overwhelming majority was concerned and everyone I came into contact with was having a ball (as usual).

The Field is a very special place to be (even if the moon doesn't rise over the hill) and I think it will be a lot more difficult to damage the atmosphere than some people realise.

Here's to 2006.

Jan
rachel

Loc: Sheffield

not a llama

« Reply #95 on: August 26, 2005, 03:17:49 PM »

Bless them!
My daughter had her foot damaged by a vaulting steward on the friday at Crops and had to spend the rest of the weekend in a wheelchair. As I posted elsewhere, Gareth was very helpful at the time. Today Vikki received a lovely letter, apologizing for not being in contact sooner, offering to reimburse any costs incurred by the accident and enclosing a photo signed by Simon and a CD. She has no intention of asking for the costs because, as she says, accidents happen, and she has every intention of being in that field again next year - although keeping a watchful eye for flying stewards Wink . She asked me to post this as she was really pleased that Gareth had taken the time and trouble to contact her. The foot is healing nicely by the way Smiley.

rachel
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #96 on: August 26, 2005, 03:40:41 PM »

Examples like this are precisely why I am proud to count the lads as my friends.

delfini (Diane)
I've now got 3 pairs
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

.......watching feathers fall from angels....

« Reply #97 on: August 26, 2005, 04:21:54 PM »

I've just found this thread, having not been round the board much recently.

Sitting reading it has taken me back to that field, and I'm sitting here smiling, just remembering it.

I can't count the number of people I've bored when they've asked if I had a good weekend.They tend to run when they see me coming now.

I can't remember a weekend like it - ever I think. It was remarkable and shows that the amazing spirit that Fairport have created goes above and beyond the music - how many bands could have created a festival with such an atmosphere - and be out there on the field with us, sharing it??

Well done indeed.

And thanks to those of the tiaraed and fezzed brigade I met too, for adding to the fun.

delfini

and all I really know is that kindness is better than any sort of terror, any kind of spite (Martyn Joseph)
Mix (Mic)
Cowcatcher for Coocachoo
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Staffs

Once more unto the breech...

« Reply #98 on: August 26, 2005, 06:20:55 PM »

She asked me to post this as she was really pleased that Gareth had taken the time and trouble to contact her. The foot is healing nicely by the way Smiley.

rachel

Really happy to hear that the foot is healing well Smiley
I admit to a broad grin on my face as I read this post....sort of "that's mah boys!!!!!" grin, I mean this is what it's all about isn't it?, this is why we love Cropredy and Faiport et al so much!!! When you get right down to it, we love warm, friendly, nice, decent people, and that is what we have in Cropredy and Fairport, and in the guy's choice of friends to join them for the weekend. The excellent music is a bonus!!!

I can't wait for 2006, it will be good to be amongst so many like-minded warm, lovely people again, listening to the best of music...
no chance of starting up the the Cropredy Counter yet I suppose Wink

Mic

Work like you don't need the money
Love like you've never been hurt
Dance like nobody's watching
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #99 on: August 27, 2005, 12:06:13 AM »

My first read of this post as I'm still catching up (having been afloat for most of August)...  I echo ALL of the positives expressed here..  and would like to add my heartfelt gratitude to all the team... Gareth, Simon, Martin, Peggy, those wonderful people at the booking office (!), my Steward friend Catherine (who donated her hat to me Kiss), the friends who allowed us to moor alongside their boat, the young male steward who made me a mug of tea with brandy which I drank on Saturday afternoon in the pouring rain...

Our week began with the Monday warm up, continued with the Tuesday warm up, stretched to Tiny Tin Lady at The Mill on Wednesday, then three days on THE FIELD in the Holy City of Cropredy...  the music was great, the food was great, the company was great, EVERYTHING was wonderful for us...  even found the rain copable (sp?) with... 

So thanks again to the BEST TEAM IN THE WORLD for organising the highlight of my year...  and to all my lovely TALKAWHILE mates.. old and new..  can't wait to meet you all again soon Kiss

I've bored my non Crops friends rigid with all my excitement...  yes there are still a few to be converted!

See you all again NEXT YEAR....  same place, same time....

With great love and thanks...  Amethyst Kiss

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: