TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 29, 2024, 07:23:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Positively Speaking!  (Read 72173 times)
Fi
Savoy

Loc: Somewhere near Oxford

My child is addicted to Zingzillas...

« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2005, 02:32:22 PM »

Cropredy Virgin here (I had a tiara on loan, but shall have to invest in my own for the future methinks, why is there no smiley with a tiara?  Roll Eyes). Anyway, I had a fantastic time  Smiley.

My big highlight was Christine Collister walking on stage...I couldn't believe my luck, first Cropredy, excellent RT and DT set and then my favourite singer ever too. What more could ya want?. And The Saturday night concert was great, though I didn't know quite what to expect, I loved it.

Thanks to the excellent group of people I've managed to meet over the past year and was camped with, I think that made it for me; the nonsense talking, the inaugural Cropredy 'fork' awards (ask Sandy), the little yellow dragons and the "Bert" game...absolutely hilarious.

And hello to all the Talkawhile people I met at the bar on Friday and Saturday, I don't get time to post much here, but I expect I will in future  Cheesy

Cheers

Fi
Alezed (Aleks)
someone's suspiciously absent princess

Loc: Dudley, West Midlands

Is it cuz I is black.... country loike?

« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2005, 03:57:17 PM »

Well I have to say that we had a great weekend!

My backpacking (well trolley packing as he said!) neighbour was a lovely man and very polite and a such a dear about us being so close to his tent!

The food was fantastic.... Leons polenta was the best polenta I have had in a long while! I also worked out that although it seemed a bit steep that the food was not as expensive as it could have been... and potato moon is just the best value for fries since when they have finished with them they are out of this world!

We got to sit with some lovely people in the shape of captain puggs crew which was lovely since it meant James and I could spend time together at the bar without worrying about our box of wine for later!

I can't wait for next year now!

Googler Extrodinare (CSI Cropredy Branch)
Me?? Little mee mee.... never?!
Anna
I'll be Susan
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: London Colney, near St Albans, Herts

That's her, with the fluteystick...

« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2005, 04:08:57 PM »

Well, we had a bit of a "down" festival - that would have happened anyway, whatever else went on.  Nothing to do with the organisation, or the "yoofs", or anything.  Mostly to do with the Land Rover breaking down half way there on Thursday, so we had to pay (lots!) for it to be recovered home, chuck all the stuff into a different car and start all over again.  This meant not only that we were relegated to field 7, but also we were all tetchy and pissed off all weekend, thinking we should really be at home fixing the Landy rather than wasting time in a field...

Anyhoo,  Positively Speaking!!

There was lots of cider!  And lots of beer!  Although that probably didn't help the mood late at night when fatigue got on top of it but hey, you take the ups with the downs.  The lads liked all of the ales, so the traditional running out of 6X wasn't a problem.  Here's hoping the Summersault is back next year!

FC played a BEAUTIFUL version of Rosemary's Sister.

Maart's bass in Beth Neilsen-Chapman's set was perfectly audible from where I was sitting, and I want MORE!!! (discovery of the weekend!)

Good food, especially the buffalo stall.

Good friends - Talkawhilers and other mates we only seem to catch up with at Cropredy.

Flute player seeks ragtime band...
tarda (Gill)
Our own Harvey Goldsmith
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: West Sussex

Otis tarda - a slow bird but a great bustard

« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2005, 04:29:31 PM »

We, too, had a brilliant time.
It was great meeting everyone - being part of it instead of wondering what the fezzes were about!
Food was great, even if I didn't have much of an appetite - too excited perhaps.
I reckon the loos were better than last year, and well supplied - I've brought most of our emergency loo roll stock home with us.
The music was great. I don't think a single act really disappointed and some were real discoveries.
Getting to the camping field was easy - we were clearly directed by friendly stewards.

Highlights -
Steering Amy & Puggs' narrowboat
Richard Thompson
Talking to Simon mayor about mandolins.

Low points -
Having to find a doctor for Rachel's asthma attack.
Developing a migraine and missing thursday eve.

"And dreams let you down; they just let you down,
But they never leave you..."
Anna
I'll be Susan
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: London Colney, near St Albans, Herts

That's her, with the fluteystick...

« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2005, 04:33:15 PM »

And the loos!  How could I forget the loos?!!

FAB!  11/10, really!  Even saw the teams stocking them up on Sunday morning!  Couldn't ask for better, and I certainly didn't see any floods.

Flute player seeks ragtime band...
MarkV
sit on a perch and prepare a roach
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Quality control has failed to sift me out.

« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2005, 04:41:10 PM »

And the loos!  How could I forget the loos?!!

FAB!  11/10, really!  Even saw the teams stocking them up on Sunday morning!  Couldn't ask for better, and I certainly didn't see any floods.

Thinking about it, the problems I noted in the Feild 4 toilets were possibly due to revelers at the other place after hours!   

The Tardi at the top of the field did seem ok, only gripe was there were no paper towels in the gents caravan thing! 

The good things outweighed any bad things I saw, by miles!

Mark (Are the tickets on sale yet for next year?)

O to 62 in sixtytwo years.  Where does the time go?
pauled

Loc: Swansea

« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2005, 04:57:19 PM »

21st Cropredy - enjoyed it immensely

we were on f6 - caravans , disabled etc - quiet at night, no hassles.

Music - really good- i never enjoy everything, but I did enjoy most of it this year.

toilets this year really excellent compared with previous years.

brilliant job from Gareth, rob, Simon and Peggy - keep up the good work and don't be downhearted by the criticisms [many justified] because no event as large as this will be problem free. Just take them on board and make us another fantastic festival next year.....please

sorry off topic p.s. in case the powers that be read this:-
unexpected special guests on the Sat really go done well with the punters[ as we used to have - Plant, Connelly etc.]
special request for next year The Blockheads - one of the best live bands i've seen in a long while.
and I bet Peggy knows Steve Winwood - what about a little phone call? I know Peggy likes the guys music because I just read it in the 1985 programme!!!!!!!

thanks
Paul

A holiday, a holiday and the BEST one of the year!
Nuthouse
He wasn't born to follow
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Northampton

« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2005, 06:16:17 PM »

This was posted in the Cropredy Problems thread and is essentially a call for sanity and reason from the newly-arrived Soundtowerguy

Having read this topic & the initial debrief, I had to sign up & reply. Although I feel tremendously sorry for the people who had problems this year, myself & my extended family had a great time. Some of our group had problems with loud mouthed yobs but this was dealt with VERY effectively by security. I agree that some things need to be looked at but in general, I say "WELL DONE" to the organisers!!! I think it is very difficult to take something as big as this festival on and I think we shouldn't be so quick to condem. Also, I do not think we should compare Gareth and the rest of the organisation team to Chris Pegg. Its time to move on and support the current team. Keep up the good work, practice makes perfect!

I asked if it was OK to copy this post across for reasons that are evident.... i know that you will make STG welcome on these pages.

Nuthouse

What isn't real is genuine illusion....
Mix (Mic)
Cowcatcher for Coocachoo
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Staffs

Once more unto the breech...

« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2005, 06:21:45 PM »

Wecome STG.......it doesn't come much more 'positive' than a new member Grin
Look forward to getting to know you, and to hearing what you have to say Smiley

Mic

Work like you don't need the money
Love like you've never been hurt
Dance like nobody's watching
Soundtowerguy
n3wb

Loc: I wish I were in Cropredy! In front of the sound tower!!!

« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2005, 06:26:47 PM »

Wecome STG.......it doesn't come much more 'positive' than a new member Grin
Look forward to getting to know you, and to hearing what you have to say Smiley

Mic

Thanks for the welcome. We've been going to cropredy for many years now and thought it was about time that we made ourselves heard. Don't like to hear so many negative views on what is such a wonderful weekend.
Anaphase
Avec Lapin et Balconette

Loc: Burton on Trent

Saucy Git

« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2005, 06:48:25 PM »

Well, I'd just like to say I had a brilliant time (again).

Met lots of new faces and some not-so-new ones again too.
Drank in copious amounts - and didn't fall over
Enjoyed the festival atmosphere and soaked it all in.

See you all again next year!

Ana

Wild Thing!  You make my thing swing....
Woodpecker

Loc: Western Edge of The Black Country

« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2005, 06:59:02 PM »

Just to add my twopennorth:

I agree with all of the above!!!  Great to hear acts that I go to see anyway and even greater to get introduced to new ones - can you get more diverse than Tickled Pink and The Muffin men - I shall make every effort to see both again asap.

Moments of great fun and great poignancy - 'Solo' always brings a tear close to my eye but after several festivales ....

We spoke to a group of 20 something croprevirgins - they'd danced and sung and seen a side of massed humanity that was unexpected (In the positive sense).

We camped at the top of F7 where all seemed quiet.  One of my high points was as we left on thursday evening to be in a crowd of several hundred being held back by just one young man for no apparent reason (It was of course to ensure safety over the bridge). Many people wondered what was going on and there were a few comments about the delay until a gentle baaing ran round the group.  We all behaved like perfect sheep and were shepherded across in safety.  Perhaps this is a ritual but we've never camped there before and it just seemed to sum up the gentle Cropredy spirit.

Keep a green tree in your heart and perhaps a singing bird will come.    Chinese proverb.
Alezed (Aleks)
someone's suspiciously absent princess

Loc: Dudley, West Midlands

Is it cuz I is black.... country loike?

« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2005, 07:06:36 PM »

Perhaps this is a ritual but we've never camped there before and it just seemed to sum up the gentle Cropredy spirit.

I love that bit of time waiting to return slowly to field 7 actually it's quite nice to be able to see the faces of your temporary neighbours....last year my dad had a conversation with a fellow Pole in the queue.... twas lovely!

Googler Extrodinare (CSI Cropredy Branch)
Me?? Little mee mee.... never?!
JJ (Joanna)
safely sewn on
Global Moderator

Loc: Essex

nice McTell I'm wearin!

« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2005, 07:14:52 PM »

Whilst down the front for the Fairport set, two young, over refreshed ,fun Scots guys started talking to us and rather than be rude and say sssh, we're listening we found out that these two were down from Scotland working in the area and just happened upon the festival. They said how good it was and how they just had to stay for the whole day on Saturday. They had never heard of Fairport and were so eager to find out all about them. They were so complimentary on their musical ability and were going to go home and look Fairport up on the internet. They told us they were used to good Gaelic music at home but that this was fabulous. Two Cropredy Virgins found the Festival by accident and thought it was the best music festival they had ever been to.  Fez

....may my love be your protector; and walk with you 'til next we meet
R.McTell - An Irish Blessing.
Goaty
Ewen the Navigator
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Son of a Nun

« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2005, 07:39:15 PM »

...just happened upon the festival. They said how good it was and how they just had to stay for the whole day on Saturday. They had never heard of Fairport and were so eager to find out all about them...Two Cropredy Virgins found the Festival by accident and thought it was the best music festival they had ever been to.  Fez

Thats one of the most uplifting posts I've read since returning. This is the kind of folks Cropredy Convention needs not just to survive but to flourish.  Good on 'em  Cheesy

I could be the catalyst that sparks the revolution, I could be an inmate in a long-term institution ...
issy
with the fairies
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Exiled Nr Bracknell

« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2005, 07:41:06 PM »

Thers so much positive stuff...

* just the anticipation of getting there
* arriving there and having a good pitch near to Angela Jack and Dennis and some loverly loos with pictures on the walls and wooden loo seats Grin)
* having help getting my tent up (thanks  Kiss)
* it didn't rain til the last day and it was very sunny on thursday
* great performances and music and extra guests (thank you Christine Collister, you are a star!)
* the Amy and Puggs enclave
* the Talkawhile meets and all the gorgeous people I met - special love to GF  Smiley
* great food
* and its all going to happen again next year!!

Hazzah!!  Cant wait..
Issy

We do not stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing!
cathy

Loc: TRIBAL ESSEX

"Turbaned fool!"

« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2005, 08:10:03 PM »

so many positives too......
getting there after getting lost a few times(the dreaded diversion signs!)
very nice lady on next pitch coming to my assistance with my tent
Chris Leslie's smile
remembering to take a waterproof
chatting to a man from London on the narrow bridge on saturday night

can't wait till next year!

"I get the red mist and I'm off...it's very nasty!"
issy
with the fairies
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Exiled Nr Bracknell

« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2005, 08:20:26 PM »

...and I thought the stage lighting was fab and the sound much better than last year...   and I was very happy with the music selection  Afro

I was on field 3 and thankfully didn't experience any trouble.. bit noisy at times, but then it is a festie, I just stuffed my ear plugs in and went to sleep.. no problem..   had nice neighbours Smiley

We do not stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing!
JJ (Joanna)
safely sewn on
Global Moderator

Loc: Essex

nice McTell I'm wearin!

« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2005, 08:30:46 PM »

and the fireworks at the end made a happy ending!  Fez

....may my love be your protector; and walk with you 'til next we meet
R.McTell - An Irish Blessing.
MarkV
sit on a perch and prepare a roach
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Quality control has failed to sift me out.

« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2005, 08:56:52 PM »

I thought that the sound was much better this year.  Though we were in a different location, directly in line with the left PA speakers.  Last year it seemed to fade in and out.  As to problems with certain instruments etc, technical problems will always occur, no matter how hard every one trys to stop them.

I also stayed nearly sober, so did not sleep/collapse and miss any of it. 

Just wish I was there now, instead of here.

A positively good time I thought, as did the others I was with.

O to 62 in sixtytwo years.  Where does the time go?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: