TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
September 29, 2026, 12:32:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
 
   Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Oysterband for Cropredy 2027?  (Read 114 times)
Dubai Danny
my MIL likes it loud
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 283
Loc: Here


« on: Today at 03:07:09 AM »

In response to a question on Facebook, Ian Telfer has revealed that when Oysterband quit touring, they agreed that if a promoter or festival ever made them an "offer [they] couldn't refuse", they'd be up for it.

So... Smiley

Logged
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan
*******
Offline Offline

Posts: 2670
Loc: in deepest Devon



« Reply #1 on: Today at 09:56:14 AM »

I'd be very happy if that was to happen!
Logged

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator
*****
Offline Offline

Posts: 8508
Loc: South West Wales


Not perfect. Never claimed to be.


WWW
« Reply #2 on: Today at 10:05:24 AM »

I went through a phase of being smitten by Oysterband but their limited repertoire and heavy reliance on call and response turned me off by the time they disbanded.

If any defunct bands/acts were to appear for '27, I'd suggest Bellowhead, Plant & Page, David Gilmour and touring band, King Crimson, Caravan, Camel, Fish...

I'd welcome the return of Australian Pink Floyd, actually, since I missed them in 2014 due to being in hospital. We have seen them since, indoors, they were excellent.

Alice Cooper, Mike & The Mechanics & Steve Hackett would be welcomed back, but... £££

It all boils down to who would make Cropredy a financial success without overrunning the village. So Gilmour & Plant/Page are probably out. Although Gilmour could probably do 3 hours on Thursday evening and I, for one, would be there for every second.

Logged

Find me via https://linktr.ee/andyleslie for social stuff
Angela
all that hair bobbing about
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan
******
Offline Offline

Posts: 1151
Loc: Lost in Kent



« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:50:53 AM »

I would be overjoyed if Oysterband were to play one last time, I would hardly call their repertoire at all limited with over 20 albums to pick from.  I'd also be over the moon if the other bands that Andy mentioned were to perform. If only for a very large money pot!
Logged
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator
*****
Offline Offline

Posts: 8508
Loc: South West Wales


Not perfect. Never claimed to be.


WWW
« Reply #4 on: Today at 10:57:06 AM »


I would be overjoyed if Oysterband were to play one last time, I would hardly call their repertoire at all limited with over 20 albums to pick from.  


Yes, but what they actually played towards the end was quite a repetitive setlist.
Logged

Find me via https://linktr.ee/andyleslie for social stuff
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan
*******
Online Online

Posts: 12875
Loc: Caer



WWW
« Reply #5 on: Today at 10:58:35 AM »

I know they've played, what, two (or is it three) times but I seem to remember there was quite a lot of negativity from Fairport towards the Oysters at one point.  I can't remember the full details but I'm sure that Oysterband has been used as the punchline of a joke or two from FC at Cropredy before.

Fwiw, I think they're a marvellous band.  Like them or not, they certainly do not have a limited repertoire.

Whilst I imagine them being offered a slot is unlikely, I'd have thought the 3-piece mini-Oysters would have a reasonable chance of being on the bill...?
Logged

Link to my Raissa Page book via the web button on left
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan
*******
Online Online

Posts: 12875
Loc: Caer



WWW
« Reply #6 on: Today at 10:59:57 AM »


Yes, but what they actually played towards the end was quite a repetitive setlist.


Like Fairport, you mean (who have a very fixed - only a couple of minor tweaks on the last one - setlist per tour)? Wink
Logged

Link to my Raissa Page book via the web button on left
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  
 
Jump to:  

Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!
Page created in 0.091 seconds with 19 queries.