TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 28, 2024, 09:02:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cropredy 2024  (Read 13945 times)
Lubiloo (Lorna)
Google that lot, Bob!
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #80 on: January 17, 2024, 10:39:02 PM »

Winwood was there in 2009....(I remember because a small child was lifted up onto the parent’s shoulder in front of me and I was gutted as I could not see properly). Roll Eyes

Aye, I saw that.  Never guested though is what I meant (with FC).

I realised  afterwards but it was too late to amend the error of my ways  Grin
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #81 on: January 18, 2024, 12:06:03 AM »

Plant or RT probably…
But since Tony Christie has joined the line up, possibly Peters  and Lee ( one for our younger readers!) or Bucks Fizz.
Saw Tony Christie at NFFF with Ranagri , who I have since seen on their own a few times and they’re a good band but with Christie they make Irish music a bit polite imho.
https://youtu.be/sijuJUxJoVM?si=vuwZK1mmDfVM7GY1
Lubiloo (Lorna)
Google that lot, Bob!
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #82 on: January 18, 2024, 04:50:21 AM »

Plant or RT probably…
But since Tony Christie has joined the line up, possibly Peters  and Lee ( one for our younger readers!) ...

Lennie Peters died in 1992, so I’m afraid that won’t be possible.  Cry
hendo (Dave)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #83 on: January 18, 2024, 07:44:23 AM »

Yes I know 😇😇😇🤣🤣
Lubiloo (Lorna)
Google that lot, Bob!
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #84 on: January 18, 2024, 07:59:28 AM »

Yes I know 😇😇😇🤣🤣

There are always holograms these days.  Smiley

Roger Daltrey is my best guess, anyway.
hendo (Dave)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #85 on: January 18, 2024, 09:08:59 AM »

Serious reply!
As has been said , the act before Fairports is usually a solo act ,whilst  stage is set.
I remember not looking forward to Dennis Loccorie , forgive the spelling, then he absolutely owned the spot much to my surprise and enjoyment.I expected  Sylvia’s Mother…..got so much more.
At the risk of being contentious again it seems that some fests , including NFFF , THE costas and the river boat cruises are picking from a well run rota of acts. Doesn’t mean they’re not good cos they are , RT  SoH, Lakeman, etc etc and I guess its about what you go to a festival for.
Someone commented on my Between the Trees Fest that they don’t know most of the acts.
I have been around a long time , I have seen many of my fave bands many times. Doesn’t mean I don’t still like them and appreciate them.
Cropredy , May not be the place to introduce new faces any more, though I ve seen it done.
The days of Fairports 4 hr long headlining sets are gone, for completely understandable reasons.
So I guess the surprise guest may feature later in Fairports set .
There are some cracking bands and artists out there …..and venues…we have to use em or lose em.
As someone who plays music in the Johnsons Paint Division just getting out and playing again/still is a joy.
Hope to bump into old faces somewhere down the road this yr.
StephenB
something about the grinding beat
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Blackpudlian exiled in Ireland

An Sasanach is fearr in Eirinn

« Reply #86 on: January 18, 2024, 04:45:16 PM »

I'm just not mad about the overall concept of turning up and paying money for a lottery and a hope that something will ge really good

One boxing match - what's that? A bout?
hendo (Dave)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #87 on: January 18, 2024, 05:50:29 PM »

I'm just not mad about the overall concept of turning up and paying money for a lottery and a hope that something will ge really good

We re all different Stephen.There were a lot of bands I didn’t know at Magpies Fest last yr but some I did, Honey and the Bear, Chris Difford and Edward 11nd , so I checked my bets.
Same at Between the trees this yr. A few I know , a lot I don’t. You pays yer money…..
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #88 on: January 18, 2024, 08:04:25 PM »

Serious reply!
As has been said , the act before Fairports is usually a solo act ,whilst  stage is set.
I remember not looking forward to Dennis Loccorie , forgive the spelling, then he absolutely owned the spot much to my surprise and enjoyment.I expected  Sylvia’s Mother…..got so much more.
At the risk of being contentious again it seems that some fests , including NFFF , THE costas and the river boat cruises are picking from a well run rota of acts. Doesn’t mean they’re not good cos they are , RT  SoH, Lakeman, etc etc and I guess its about what you go to a festival for.
Someone commented on my Between the Trees Fest that they don’t know most of the acts.
I have been around a long time , I have seen many of my fave bands many times. Doesn’t mean I don’t still like them and appreciate them.
Cropredy , May not be the place to introduce new faces any more, though I ve seen it done.
The days of Fairports 4 hr long headlining sets are gone, for completely understandable reasons.
So I guess the surprise guest may feature later in Fairports set .
There are some cracking bands and artists out there …..and venues…we have to use em or lose em.
As someone who plays music in the Johnsons Paint Division just getting out and playing again/still is a joy.
Hope to bump into old faces somewhere down the road this yr.

That set on Dennis' second visit was just superb. About ten minutes in he seemed to click with the crowd and it just took off. There are few Cropredy sets I have enjoyed more.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #89 on: January 18, 2024, 10:22:16 PM »

Lots of chat about Daltrey BUT if you can get him why not Friday headliner?

DW
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #90 on: January 19, 2024, 12:59:38 PM »

Wendy's suggestion is Susy Quattro as she's appearing at Wickham the previous week.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #91 on: January 19, 2024, 04:28:27 PM »

Wendy's suggestion is Susy Quattro as she's appearing at Wickham the previous week.

You mean Leather Tuscadero from "Happy Days?" (When I was a kid, I was somewhat confused by her anachronistic appearance, dressed and coiffed like a '70s punk rocker surrounded by sock hoppers at the soda shop.)
David W
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #92 on: January 19, 2024, 06:10:19 PM »

Just seen.Billy Bragg is at Towersey so ...
hendo (Dave)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #93 on: January 19, 2024, 10:12:33 PM »

Just seen.Billy Bragg is at Towersey so ...

Good call
David W
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #94 on: January 22, 2024, 09:15:16 PM »

Why have I only just realised that Thursday and Friday heads are both former members of Yes.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #95 on: February 06, 2024, 09:47:26 AM »

First Cropredy we will miss for 35 years and local heroes Headsticks are on at The Fringe!! Oh well perhaps from there to the main stage, or are they a bit too political?

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Peter H-K
inexperienced in matters ebayular

Loc: North Lancashire

« Reply #96 on: February 06, 2024, 04:50:18 PM »

I'd err with the side that it would be Roge, if either?

Definitely. It's been a while since Pete did any solo stuff, I think.

I've said before that my daughter and I saw Roger's solo show in 2022, and it was breathtakingly good. We then saw The Who (5th time for me) in July, and though they were as brilliant as ever, Roger seemed utterly knackered by the end of the show (we have to remember he'll be 80 in a few weeks' time). He has started making quite a few noises lately about his nearing the end of performing. That said, The Who are playing two Teenage Cancer Trust shows at the Albert Hall this year, so you never know. But if Roger were playing Cropredy, it would make much more sense to have him headlining Friday, and to be announced to act as a draw. In addition, he has a healthy sense of his own status, and I suspect he wouldn't do anything where he wasn't headlining.
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #97 on: February 06, 2024, 08:47:48 PM »

I'm not sure that the point of the guest is to be a draw, but a treat for those who are there.

The usual thing is a solo artist before Fairport to avoid a change over of instruments and amps as so on.
Daltrey would require a band, unless he's ever done an acoustic set with him playing a geetar, or maybe another guitarist.

I'm thinking it will be more along the lines of Jasper Carrot's surprise set a few years ago..maybe Bill Bailey or someone similar.

Well I never did..
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #98 on: February 06, 2024, 09:09:59 PM »

Bill Bailey would be great.

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #99 on: February 06, 2024, 09:34:16 PM »

Bill Bailey would be great.

Apparently, according to an FC member a few years ago, he has been approached, and is keen, but schedules need to be aligned.

Well I never did..
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: