TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 27, 2024, 02:32:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cropredy 2024  (Read 13920 times)
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« on: November 24, 2023, 04:30:18 PM »

Slipped out today, in an email with Feast of Fiddles dates for the spring, is the news that they are playing on Thursday at Cropredy next year!

First confirmed act, I think?

One band does not a festival make (well, apart from Fairport, I suppose  Grin), but it's a good start.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2023, 04:45:19 PM »

Oh fabulous, so pleased!

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Ja Howie
n3wb

Loc: Staffordshire

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2023, 05:53:16 PM »

Fairport website as of today is saying tickets on sale Monday 11th Dec with first acts announced then.
Nearly time to see if all your wishes have come true!
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2023, 05:19:16 PM »

Fairport website as of today is saying tickets on sale Monday 11th Dec with first acts announced then.
Nearly time to see if all your wishes have come true!

That's the day I get back to the UK. Whoopee!

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2023, 10:26:44 AM »

We havent missed one for 35 years but next year is looking doubtful as we have to travel to France on the Following Monday for my youngest's wedding. Decent headliners (or otherwise) may swing it either way.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Sue & Chris

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2023, 10:20:43 AM »

Just received the email with the line up so far. Can't say I'm excited about the headliners (Rick Wakeman and Trevor Horn - again!), but some good stuff elsewhere. Eddi Reader, Spooky Men, Baskery, Big Big Train, Kathryn Tickell, all solid bookings.

Here's the full list:

Baskery
Big Big Train
Black Water County
DeWolff
Eddi Reader
Elles Bailey
Fairport
Feast of Fiddles
Focus
Kathryn Tickell and The Darkening
Ranagri
Richard Digance
Rick Wakeman and the English Rock Ensemble
Silver Blues
Spooky Men's Chorale
Trevor Horn Band
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2023, 11:43:41 AM »

We havent missed one for 35 years but next year is looking doubtful as we have to travel to France on the Following Monday for my youngest's wedding. Decent headliners (or otherwise) may swing it either way.

A very easy decision . Thanks for that.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2023, 11:45:23 AM »

Good, solid, but not exciting, for me anyway. Might pop over for the Saturday, but no particular artist booked so far that would sway me to buy a 3 or 2 day ticket. 2023 was always going to be hard to beat, admittedly...

Flobbadob!
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2023, 12:18:38 PM »

Another fallow year for devotees of Fairport guitar Gods?

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
wayne stote
Many thanks for the Doobies advice

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2023, 12:26:15 PM »

DeWolff is an interesting choice. Sixties drenched hard rocking blues with hints of psych & soul. I think they'll either go down a storm or have people scurrying to the beer tent.

I'll be curious to hear how Big Big Train will go with Alberto Bravin in place of David Longdon. The latter was a force of nature on stage. I'm disappointed that Carly Bryant has stepped away from the band too. I enjoyed her song on Welcome To The Planet.

Others I've never seen live but would like to catch at some point, are Baskery & Black Water County. They're both excellent on record.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2023, 12:39:02 PM »

DeWolff is an interesting choice. Sixties drenched hard rocking blues with hints of psych & soul. I think they'll either go down a storm or have people scurrying to the beer tent.

I'll be curious to hear how Big Big Train will go with Alberto Bravin in place of David Longdon. The latter was a force of nature on stage. I'm disappointed that Carly Bryant has stepped away from the band too. I enjoyed her song on Welcome To The Planet.

Others I've never seen live but would like to catch at some point, are Baskery & Black Water County. They're both excellent on record.

Baskery are even better live. It is kind of bonkers what they do.

I am no longer a Cropredy attendee (I did a warm up show this year) but there are several of my favourite festival acts in that line up. Eddi Reader is always sublime. I wonder how the Spooky Men will come across in such a big field. They are hugely entertaining in more intimate surroundings.
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2023, 01:06:20 PM »

There's a few I haven't a clue about and a few I'm looking forward to. However, as much as I enjoyed the Trevor Horn Band, it seems a bit much to invite them back for a third festival in such a short space of time. Other than that, I'm fairly happy with the line up so far. Obviously, there will be a few more added later, so let's hope there are a couple of nice surprises..

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
StephenB
something about the grinding beat
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Blackpudlian exiled in Ireland

An Sasanach is fearr in Eirinn

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2023, 01:11:29 PM »

I agree about Trevor Horne. It's getting a bit like their obsession with Marillion a few years back. Just too much.
On the plus side, Wakeman,  Focus and Tickell yaayy, and plenty of interesting unknowns. Praying for a good Thursday night lead now...

One boxing match - what's that? A bout?
vince42

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2023, 02:07:24 PM »

Saw Big Big Train earlier this year and I think they're as good as - if a little different - as before the sad passing of Dave Longdon.

Good lineup for me this year.  I can sort of see the Trevor Horn / Marillion comparison but Mr Horn has some back catalogue to draw on so there shouldn't be much repeating...
Sue & Chris

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2023, 03:12:53 PM »

I agree about Trevor Horne. It's getting a bit like their obsession with Marillion a few years back. Just too much.
On the plus side, Wakeman,  Focus and Tickell yaayy, and plenty of interesting unknowns. Praying for a good Thursday night lead now...

Wakeman is the Thursday night headliner.
Sue & Chris

« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2023, 03:16:16 PM »

I can sort of see the Trevor Horn / Marillion comparison but Mr Horn has some back catalogue to draw on so there shouldn't be much repeating...

There was quite a lot of repeating at their second appearance, I'd estimate at least two thirds of the set. So I'm in the like them but too soon camp.
wayne stote
Many thanks for the Doobies advice

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2023, 03:33:58 PM »

Baskery are even better live. It is kind of bonkers what they do.

I am no longer a Cropredy attendee (I did a warm up show this year) but there are several of my favourite festival acts in that line up. Eddi Reader is always sublime. I wonder how the Spooky Men will come across in such a big field. They are hugely entertaining in more intimate surroundings.

Just noticed that Baskery are touring in March. Hopefully, I'll be able to get to their Skipton show.

I'm not keen on large one-stage festivals so Cropredy has never been on my list of must-do events but I always like checking out the line-up and reading people's reviews after the event.
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2023, 04:11:13 PM »

Booked a warm up, first time in a long time, but decided to go this time.

Booked three days too!

Yippeeee!, 😁😁😁
« Last Edit: December 11, 2023, 04:22:07 PM by Amethyst (Jenny) » Logged

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
kenhughes

« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2023, 06:08:18 PM »

Wakeman is the Thursday night headliner.

How do you know this?
Pam FC
herby biscuits

Loc: Edinburgh

« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2023, 06:17:49 PM »

I went and panic booked glamping but I’m really not enticed by today’s list.

I’m guessing it’s just 1 headliner and 1 other to be announced?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: