TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 30, 2024, 08:25:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 69   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Listening to.......  (Read 191310 times)
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #720 on: January 23, 2023, 04:52:33 PM »

Today I've been listening to two albums I've never owned until now - '12 Dreams of Dr Sardonicus' by Spirit

That's a Top Ten-ish album for me certainly....

Top 20 or 30 for me. Not a bad track on it. Nothing else they did comes anywhere near. It's brilliant.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #721 on: January 23, 2023, 05:17:40 PM »

Today I've been listening to two albums I've never owned until now - '12 Dreams of Dr Sardonicus' by Spirit

That's a Top Ten-ish album for me certainly....

Top 20 or 30 for me. Not a bad track on it. Nothing else they did comes anywhere near. It's brilliant.

Jules

I've not heard that album for probably 35 years. Must have another listen.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #722 on: January 25, 2023, 01:02:33 PM »

Currently listening to 'Bold Reynold' by David Caroll and Friends (including Dave Pegg and Chris Leslie). After seeing the discussion about this on here I thought I'd buy the album. I'm glad I did. It's excellent.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
DarrenWilliams

Loc: St Helens

« Reply #723 on: January 31, 2023, 09:21:47 AM »

I don't often buy music magazines these days, but I got the latest Uncut because of the Linda Thompson article. The opening track on the free CD is Watching Planes Go By by Kassi Valazza. Don't know anything about her but this track is wonderful. Late 60s west coast feel, with some great lead guitar work.
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #724 on: January 31, 2023, 10:32:16 AM »

Came across this track by Allison De Groot & Tatiana Hargreaves yesterday on YouTube. They are part of the Transatlantic Sessions band who will be touring the UK next month after playing at Celtic Connections. If bluegrass is your thang, give them a listen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76zNOeTh6Lg&ab_channel=musicmanhann

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #725 on: February 01, 2023, 10:34:12 AM »

Just realised that my last posting should have been in the "YouTube music clips of interest" thread but I did then listen to Allison and Tatiana's album Hurricane Clarice followed by Ragged Union's Round Feet, Chrome Smile.  

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #726 on: February 01, 2023, 10:53:01 AM »

Well not quite listening to but soon will be,  House Full For Sale just dropped onto the mat as I was about to take the Hellhounds of Crim out for walkies and thence the current, long suffering, mrs C to tesco to stock up on life’s necessities and get a photo for her driving licence due to a significant birthday looming large.   I sent off my form for the same thing on Monday since my significant anniversary is also looming.

The Dude abides
Ian_
blazzawazzada brortewtomay
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Warwickshire

None the wiser

« Reply #727 on: February 01, 2023, 11:23:49 AM »

I don't often buy music magazines these days, but I got the latest Uncut because of the Linda Thompson article. The opening track on the free CD is Watching Planes Go By by Kassi Valazza. Don't know anything about her but this track is wonderful. Late 60s west coast feel, with some great lead guitar work.

Thanks for the pointer, Darren  Smiley  The song is available on her Bandcamp page and it's released in advance of an April album.... https://kassivalazza.bandcamp.com/album/kassi-valazza-knows-nothing

The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science." Albert Einstein
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #728 on: February 01, 2023, 11:47:33 AM »

Currently listening to Martyn Joseph's latest album '1960' - I never tire of his voice and his wonderful music.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #729 on: February 01, 2023, 03:05:16 PM »

Well not quite listening to but soon will be,  House Full For Sale just dropped onto the mat as I was about to take the Hellhounds of Crim out for walkies and thence the current, long suffering, mrs C to tesco to stock up on life’s necessities and get a photo for her driving licence due to a significant birthday looming large.   I sent off my form for the same thing on Monday since my significant anniversary is also looming.

Well i really , really like it, its a far better recording than the ones available shortly after last years Cropredy and worth having if you're still wondering whether or not to bother.

The Dude abides
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #730 on: February 01, 2023, 03:27:49 PM »

Well i really , really like it, its a far better recording than the ones available shortly after last years Cropredy and worth having if you're still wondering whether or not to bother.

Oh, go on then, you've twisted this refusenik's arm...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #731 on: February 01, 2023, 05:12:29 PM »

Oh, go on then, you've twisted this refusenik's arm...

I hope to pick it up tomorrow evening in Exeter.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Poor Will (Bill)
coocoocachoo would just be silly
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Bognor Regis West Sussex

« Reply #732 on: February 01, 2023, 08:19:36 PM »

Has “Doctor of Physick” been tampered with?

In the words of the Zen Master " Don't just do something, sit there"
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #733 on: February 01, 2023, 10:17:45 PM »

Doesn't the Doctor do most of the tampering himself?
Poor Will (Bill)
coocoocachoo would just be silly
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Bognor Regis West Sussex

« Reply #734 on: February 02, 2023, 08:27:59 AM »

Doesn't the Doctor do most of the tampering himself?
👏👏👏

In the words of the Zen Master " Don't just do something, sit there"
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #735 on: February 02, 2023, 09:22:38 PM »

Marquee Moon by Television
Sean Nos Nua by Sinead O'Connor.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #736 on: February 02, 2023, 09:29:45 PM »

Playing my copy now. It is not going to supplant the original but it is a great listen. Sounds a lot better than the radio broadcast. I think some tidying up has been done on the vocals, particularly on Flowers of the Forest which now sounds lovely but whatever tweaking has been applied sounds entirely natural.

Following up with This Time Next Year (The Missing Third Album) - Pele
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #737 on: February 03, 2023, 11:11:44 AM »

I adore both of these albums. Would never think of playing them both on the same day.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #738 on: February 03, 2023, 04:28:41 PM »

I adore both of these albums. Would never think of playing them both on the same day.

Jules
How do you cope at festivals?

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #739 on: February 03, 2023, 04:32:04 PM »

Jules
How do you cope at festivals?

Grin Grin Grin

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 69   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: