TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 30, 2024, 02:09:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 69   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Listening to.......  (Read 190919 times)
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #700 on: January 03, 2023, 12:02:54 PM »

World Record - Neil Young & Crazy Horse. I have to say I like the way this album sounds a lot. Having seen the Harvest Time movie just before Christmas this sounds to me of a piece with that sort of vibe. It is certainly my favourite of the three recent Crazy Horse albums. Of course the songs themselves are nowhere near on a par with that early 70s output (though I do think Chevrolet is a new Neil classic). Where I have a problem is with some of Neil's lyrics. I am sure his on the nose environmentalism is very noble but what purpose does it serve when it is only being heard by a decreasing audience of the already converted? A Neil Young song is not going to save the world in 2023 but a great Neil Young song would still have the capacity to inspire in other ways.

These are the lyrics to your new Neil classic:

One, two, one, two, three
Almost got an old Chevrolet
Man, that car was talking to me
Chevrolet
Pretty red lights and the paint was gleaming
I was seeing myself in a different way
Chevrolet
Shifting gears, I had to pull away
Lost on the winding highway in my mind
Oh, but it feels so good
How will it comfort me
Burnin' all that fuel again?
Gone is the crowded highway
Lost, are the roads we left behind
Found in the place they live inside me
Chevrolet
Chevrolet
Wanderin' with an ancient Nomad
On the dusty lanes of this old highway
Chevrolet
Never lost before I found you
Now I need to just forget our bad turns
Chevrolet
What a curve and what a way to go
We took it fast before we took it slow
Oh, and it feels so good
Rollin' the window down
Ivory wheel in my hands again
Gone is the crowded highway
Lost, are the roads we left behind
Found in the place they live inside me
Chevrolet
Chevrolet
Chevrolet

Honestly, the guy can't write anything other than trite these days (imho).  Some of his lyrics were always a bit like this (T-bone etc), but it's all so utterly one-dimensional these days.  Throwaway stuff.  Why expect us to bother?  Heartbreaking.

Chevrolet is not a classic because of the lyrics. As I already pointed out, the lyrics on the album fail to convince generally but when the Horse get into a groove I am not generally focussing on the lyrics and this is one of those. F*ckin' Up was hardly a lyrical masterpiece but it is still a Horse classic.
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #701 on: January 03, 2023, 12:40:08 PM »

Camel - Moonmadness. In 1976 Wendy and I loved this and still do.

40 minutes can seldom be better spent.

I love vintage Camel.  I remember seeing them on the Snow goose tour.
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #702 on: January 03, 2023, 10:09:21 PM »

Lovely. Kicked off a stellar run of albums.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #703 on: January 04, 2023, 10:32:04 AM »

Lovely. Kicked off a stellar run of albums.

You wouldn't say The Snow Goose, or even Mirage, had already started that run?

I was too young to enjoy the albums when they first came out, but picked up on the band a few years later.  The Moonmadness concerts a few years ago were my first opportunity to actually see them live though.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #704 on: January 06, 2023, 06:02:18 PM »

The Magpie Arc which is the new project that Martin Simpson and Nancy Kerr are involved with. I must admit I wondered if I had downloaded the right album as the opening track is all loud guitars and drums which I don't associate with those two. But as it says on their website...

"There will be folk, and definitely rock. A bit of country, there may even be some blues."

It certainly blows that post-New Year hangover away.  Smiley

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #705 on: January 06, 2023, 06:51:09 PM »

The Magpie Arc which is the new project that Martin Simpson and Nancy Kerr are involved with. I must admit I wondered if I had downloaded the right album as the opening track is all loud guitars and drums which I don't associate with those two. But as it says on their website...

"There will be folk, and definitely rock. A bit of country, there may even be some blues."

I'm a bit surprised there hasn't been more about this project on here.  I "quite like it" but feel like I should like it more.  I can't help but feel that Martin is somewhat 'diminished' (?) by playing the electric - something I certainly don't feel with regards to RT or whatever.  Maybe it's simply because we're so used to what he normally does?  I do like Nancy's voice...always have.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #706 on: January 07, 2023, 08:48:39 AM »

Mott the Hoople  :  Mad Shadows  (Island  LP reissue, 2019).
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #707 on: January 07, 2023, 01:16:44 PM »

I'm a bit surprised there hasn't been more about this project on here.  I "quite like it" but feel like I should like it more.  I can't help but feel that Martin is somewhat 'diminished' (?) by playing the electric - something I certainly don't feel with regards to RT or whatever.  Maybe it's simply because we're so used to what he normally does?  I do like Nancy's voice...always have.
I saw the band and Martin solo acoustic at a festival last year. Loved the band didnt enjoy the solo at all but then the latter just isnt my thing anyway.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #708 on: January 09, 2023, 05:28:30 PM »

Martyn Joseph Alberts Place from 21st Century Folk. Fabulous. Which led me to video of him doing Thunder Road with Rob Brydon!! After that had to listen to Let Yourself and Faith Folk and Anarchy. Looking forward to seeing him on Wednesday. It's at a church so what are the chances of I'll Take You Out?

PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #709 on: January 09, 2023, 07:57:04 PM »

"Rise Up Like The Sun" - Albion Band - haven't listened closely to it for quite some time... what an album!

Flobbadob!
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #710 on: January 11, 2023, 09:14:59 AM »

Traffic albums, all of the ones I've got, which is several. Most recently acquired Shootout at the Fantasy  Factory  LP reissue.

I realise Traffic went through some changes of personnel and musical style, but since I started listening to them around 1990, I haven't found a Traffic album I don't like and get great pleasure from.  Even their last, When the Eagle Flies  (1974) has some good moments on it, though some weak tracks too.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #711 on: January 11, 2023, 09:35:27 AM »

Traffic albums, all of the ones I've got, which is several. Most recently acquired Shootout at the Fantasy  Factory  LP reissue.

I realise Traffic went through some changes of personnel and musical style, but since I started listening to them around 1990, I haven't found a Traffic album I don't like and get great pleasure from.  Even their last, When the Eagle Flies  (1974) has some good moments on it, though some weak tracks too.

Not their last - Far from Home came out in '94 from the reunited band.  I don't particularly rate it but the recordings of some of the shows are quite enjoyable.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #712 on: January 11, 2023, 11:20:19 AM »

Not their last - Far from Home came out in '94 from the reunited band.  I don't particularly rate it but the recordings of some of the shows are quite enjoyable.

Yes I know about their comeback album.   Haven't heard it.n
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #713 on: January 15, 2023, 11:15:10 AM »

Barclay James Harvest  :  Their first Album    (EMI  CD, 2002).

Nice, though they got better.

One of those CDs where the time occupied by bonus tracks way exceeds the length of the album itself. 'Brother Thrush' is Nice.
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #714 on: January 16, 2023, 10:43:10 AM »

Richard Thompson Big Band, live at Rockpalast 1983. I've always enjoyed the recordings from this line-up, and I'm sorry I never saw them, but it was shortly before I discovered RT.  I recorded a concert from the radio (BBC In Concert series) which was recorded shortly before this and enjoyed that for many years until I no longer had access to a cassette player.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #715 on: January 20, 2023, 12:11:53 PM »

Has to be David Crosby today...

CSN - CSN (77)
CSN&Y - So Far
DC - If I Could Only Remember My Name

And now the freebie CD that came with Mojo of 6 live CSN&Y tracks from 1974

I reckon I've got about 25 albums with Croz on them across 4 formats.

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #716 on: January 23, 2023, 11:01:30 AM »

A playlist made up of the 20 greatest David Crosby songs, as selected by Rolling Stone magazine.

Delighted to find I have 19 of the 20 in my own collection, the remaining one being a recnt song that I have added courtesy of Prime music streaming.
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #717 on: January 23, 2023, 01:21:19 PM »

I had a bit of a Stevie Wonder day yesterday. 'Talking Book', 'Innervisions', 'Fulfillingness' First Finale' and 'Hotter Than July'. Some great songs on all of those albums, but if I had to pick a favourite it would have to be 'Innervisions'.

Today I've been listening to two albums I've never owned until now - '12 Dreams of Dr Sardonicus' by Spirit and the debut album by Heads Hands and Feet. I recall hearing 'Mr Skin' from Sardonicus on the 'Rock Buster' sampler and being intrigued. A school friend let me borrow his precious copy and I liked it, but I never got round to buying it. So after fifty-odd years I finally bought it (it now has the obligatory bonus tracks plus a whole second disc recorded live.) As for Heads Hands and Feet, again I got to hear a wonderful song on a sampler - this time it was 'El Pea' and the song was 'Song For Suzie'. I did get a copy of the album, but was devastated when I discovered that 'Song for Suzie' wasn't on the album. I found out later that it was on the USA release, which was a double album.  Again, I decided to rectify the situation after a gap of half a century.  Wallowing in nostalgia.....

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #718 on: January 23, 2023, 01:27:11 PM »

Today I've been listening to two albums I've never owned until now - '12 Dreams of Dr Sardonicus' by Spirit

That's a Top Ten-ish album for me certainly....

Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #719 on: January 23, 2023, 03:10:06 PM »

I had a bit of a Stevie Wonder day yesterday. 'Talking Book', 'Innervisions', 'Fulfillingness' First Finale' and 'Hotter Than July'. Some great songs on all of those albums, but if I had to pick a favourite it would have to be 'Innervisions'.

Today I've been listening to two albums I've never owned until now - '12 Dreams of Dr Sardonicus' by Spirit and the debut album by Heads Hands and Feet. I recall hearing 'Mr Skin' from Sardonicus on the 'Rock Buster' sampler and being intrigued. A school friend let me borrow his precious copy and I liked it, but I never got round to buying it. So after fifty-odd years I finally bought it (it now has the obligatory bonus tracks plus a whole second disc recorded live.) As for Heads Hands and Feet, again I got to hear a wonderful song on a sampler - this time it was 'El Pea' and the song was 'Song For Suzie'. I did get a copy of the album, but was devastated when I discovered that 'Song for Suzie' wasn't on the album. I found out later that it was on the USA release, which was a double album.  Again, I decided to rectify the situation after a gap of half a century.  Wallowing in nostalgia.....

With Jerry Donahue involved on the production side. Saw them live at the time and immediately bought the double album.

Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 69   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: