TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 29, 2024, 01:02:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 68   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Listening to.......  (Read 176921 times)
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #320 on: August 06, 2022, 09:04:02 AM »

Joni Mitchell  :  The Reprise Albums,  1968-71  (Reprise 4LP, 2021).
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #321 on: August 06, 2022, 07:16:03 PM »

Bob Fox - Dreams Never Leave You

Just back from seeing Bob at the Lake District Folk Weekend. He, rather cheekily, described this album as Fairport with a decent singer. And he started his set with his cover of 'My Love is in America'.

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
Sue & Chris

« Reply #322 on: August 10, 2022, 10:27:33 AM »

Bob Fox - Dreams Never Leave You

Just back from seeing Bob at the Lake District Folk Weekend. He, rather cheekily, described this album as Fairport with a decent singer. And he started his set with his cover of 'My Love is in America'.

Great album, as I tried to tell him once at a gig - unfortunately he behaved like a complete arse.
Sue & Chris

« Reply #323 on: August 10, 2022, 10:32:31 AM »

'Sing Along! with Eric Hutchinson'. Gospel-tinged country pop, with a nice 'The Bunch' type vibe.
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #324 on: August 10, 2022, 07:55:08 PM »

Teleportation not being possible, I have been listening to nothing but Fairport all week, which will continue until Cropredy 2020/21/22 is finished (with the exception of a live show Saturday afternoon). Specifically it has been the assortment of Cropredy recordings from over the years. Enjoy, all who are going or already there!

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #325 on: August 16, 2022, 11:10:50 AM »

Leatherat!

Live at Cropredy 2010 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BczxPc7gpYs and whatever else I can find on YouTube after that.

I missed them at the fringe this year, but I'd love to see them on the big stage again - they're a proper Cropredy band Smiley

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #326 on: August 16, 2022, 02:38:03 PM »

I picked up the Edward II Live at Cropredy album at the CD stall by the villages stores, so have been listening to that. I didn't actually buy anything else by any of the bands who were on.  Oh, apart from Iain Matthews and the Salmon Smokers Fake Tan, and the Thompson Family album which kind of count.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #327 on: August 16, 2022, 06:01:10 PM »

I bought the 2CD "Anamnesis" by Ethan Johns (Glyn's son) & The Black Eyed Dogs from the CD tent, purely on the look of the front cover (and a band pic on the back that includes former Crim drummer Jeremy Stacey). Read a couple of reviews before putting it on that likened parts of it to the (Workingman's) Dead and Dylan/Band. Fairly accurate I'd say!

Flobbadob!
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #328 on: August 16, 2022, 06:46:00 PM »

I bought the 2CD "Anamnesis" by Ethan Johns (Glyn's son) & The Black Eyed Dogs from the CD tent, purely on the look of the front cover (and a band pic on the back that includes former Crim drummer Jeremy Stacey). Read a couple of reviews before putting it on that likened parts of it to the (Workingman's) Dead and Dylan/Band. Fairly accurate I'd say!

Is he officially former yet?  Are any of them ex Crim yet?  Questions, questions.... Wink

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #329 on: August 17, 2022, 12:02:42 AM »

I definitely read they were "on hiatus" again after the last tour finished. Which this (opaquely) implies: "King Crimson at the Shibuya Bunkamara Orchard Hall, Tokyo; Wednesday 8th. December 2021,” Fripp wrote on Twitter.
“King Crimson’s final note of Starless, the last note of this Completion Tour in Japan, moved from sound to silence at 21.04.”

Bob seems to be having a lot of fun with his wife at the moment.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #330 on: August 17, 2022, 09:04:31 AM »

I definitely read they were "on hiatus" again after the last tour finished. Which this (opaquely) implies: "King Crimson at the Shibuya Bunkamara Orchard Hall, Tokyo; Wednesday 8th. December 2021,” Fripp wrote on Twitter.
“King Crimson’s final note of Starless, the last note of this Completion Tour in Japan, moved from sound to silence at 21.04.”

Bob seems to be having a lot of fun with his wife at the moment.

Oh I know...it's just that we've sort of been here before haven't we...but given everybody's age, yeah probably.  Effectively Crimson happens when Fripp wants it to and whoever he wants to play with, that's Crimson if he says it is...that's the nature of it.  I just think of them as (a bit like Fairport) one of those bands that nobody ever really leaves.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #331 on: August 17, 2022, 10:38:39 AM »

Perhaps I should have said "erstwhile" rather than "former". Or just omitted the latter.  Wink

Flobbadob!
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #332 on: August 17, 2022, 10:44:28 AM »

Perhaps I should have said "erstwhile" rather than "former". Or just omitted the latter.  Wink

Nah, you're alright, Paul.  Perhaps I should have just kept my musings to myself.

On a related subject, I've been listening to the Exposures box set recently.  It's absolutely top notch.

ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #333 on: August 19, 2022, 01:18:56 PM »

Anais Mitchell's self-titled release which came out back in January. I enjoyed the album she did with Bonny Light Horseman a couple of years back so thought I'd take a punt on this one.

It's the first vinyl purchase I've made in a while. I found it at my local HMV and also picked up a copy of Neil Young's Noise & Flowers on cd.

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #334 on: August 25, 2022, 10:25:02 AM »

What with one thing and another, it feels like a day for listening to Fairport so I have selected my personal career overview playlist. It runs to 125 tracks so I may not get through all of it.

I have reached track 4, Suzanne from Live At The BBC.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #335 on: August 27, 2022, 10:05:43 AM »

Against The Odds 1974 - 1982, the new box set by Blondie. In particular Parallel Lines, one of those extraordinary albums where every track could have been a hit single.
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #336 on: August 28, 2022, 12:03:29 PM »

Nic Jones :  In Search of .. (Mollie Music CD, 1998).

Nic Jones  :  Unearthed  (Mollie Music 2CD, 2001).
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #337 on: August 31, 2022, 02:16:52 PM »

It's been a very long time since I listened to Tree by Songs From The Blue House, and I can't think why. It is a very fine album.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #338 on: August 31, 2022, 08:29:54 PM »

Jimmy Cliff’s new album Refugees. Though it hasn’t grabbed me initially as much as his last album (Rebirth) there is still much on here to enjoy. And enjoy is something I always get from Jimmy’s music!

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #339 on: August 31, 2022, 10:05:38 PM »

It's been a very long time since I listened to Tree by Songs From The Blue House, and I can't think why. It is a very fine album.

I can’t disagree with you.  Wink

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 68   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: