TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 30, 2024, 04:34:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 69   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Listening to.......  (Read 191065 times)
garrypbrooks

« Reply #280 on: July 05, 2022, 08:39:09 AM »

Just discovered an interesting new artist, i.e. Maryen Cairns, a Scottish-Aussie folky living in Guernsey. Writes good songs, there's a touch of Claire Hamill in her voice, and some really interesting instrumental backing. And if you go to her Facebook page, you can get a VG six song sampler download free. Hope she comes over to England soon.

Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #281 on: July 05, 2022, 02:28:31 PM »

Inspired by comments about Ian McNabb elsewhere, listening to the Icicle Works live from the Town & Country Club in July 1986. Stonking gig!

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #282 on: July 05, 2022, 03:14:24 PM »

Just discovered an interesting new artist, i.e. Maryen Cairns, a Scottish-Aussie folky living in Guernsey. Writes good songs, there's a touch of Claire Hamill in her voice, and some really interesting instrumental backing. And if you go to her Facebook page, you can get a VG six song sampler download free. Hope she comes over to England soon.

Im on Maryan Cairns email list, and get loads of stuff. I haven't found the time to catch up with it all, but must do so.
Peter Allen

« Reply #283 on: July 07, 2022, 09:21:10 PM »

I think a week or so ago David mentioned NMTB and I've just read Dave Goodman's book about the Sex Pistols ,watched the Danny Boyle series on Disney (!) -  so dusted off the original CD
I thought , that's how best to listen to "Never Mind" just the original tracklisting , no extras , no demos , no dodgy live recordings on the expanded or  deluxe 2CD versions
Just the classic album as we heard it on it's release

But
 I miss the B-sides especially "Did You No Wrong" and "Satellite" , both just as enjoyable as the "Never Mind" tracks in my opinion , "No Fun" a little less so

So maybe this is an example of  an album that  warranted an expanded version , at least to capture the b-sides .....
I still think it would have been better if Glen had played the bass and not Steve
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #284 on: July 08, 2022, 09:13:28 AM »

Various Strawbs and related stuff,  including  Dave Cousins/Conny Conrad  :  High Seas, which I recently acquired.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #285 on: July 08, 2022, 10:24:15 AM »

I still think it would have been better if Glen had played the bass and not Steve

Well, he did, for the songs they recorded before he was booted out.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #286 on: July 08, 2022, 11:32:42 AM »

Jules
My schoolfriend Val is big mates with Glen, as she keeps telling me....  Roll Eyes  Grin

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #287 on: July 08, 2022, 12:14:10 PM »

Jules

According to Wikipedia...

Glen Matlock – bass and backing vocals on "Anarchy in the UK" and "God Save The Queen"
Sid Vicious – bass on "Bodies"

Guitarist Steve Jones stated that when Matlock first played him the song it did not sound like 'God Save the Queen': "It was like 'Love Me Do' or something".

The mind boggles!  Grin

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #288 on: July 08, 2022, 01:02:05 PM »

Jules

Glen Matlock – bass and backing vocals on "Anarchy in the UK" and "God Save The Queen"

Guitarist Steve Jones stated that when Matlock first played him the song it did not sound like 'God Save the Queen': "It was like 'Love Me Do' or something".

The mind boggles!  Grin

And just in case if anyone missed it earlier, do have a listen to the 2 part (Steve) Jonesy's jukebox podcast 'chat' with Glen.  It's like sitting next to 2 old geezers in the Public Bar but in a very entertaining stylie. Glen is now in Blondie btw (at least temporarily).

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #289 on: July 08, 2022, 01:18:54 PM »

Jules

The mind boggles!  Grin

The words fit. Try it...

(well the first few lines anyway!)

ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #290 on: July 08, 2022, 02:38:12 PM »

And just in case if anyone missed it earlier, do have a listen to the 2 part (Steve) Jonesy's jukebox podcast 'chat' with Glen.  It's like sitting next to 2 old geezers in the Public Bar but in a very entertaining stylie. Glen is now in Blondie btw (at least temporarily).

I saw a photo of him with Blondie but read that he's just standing in for their regular bass player who has done his back in.

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #291 on: July 08, 2022, 03:42:26 PM »

I saw a photo of him with Blondie but read that he's just standing in for their regular bass player who has done his back in.

I think so, but he's on to his second lot of dates and has also played on the new album I believe

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #292 on: July 09, 2022, 09:28:46 AM »

A little Toast for breakfast. The newly released archive album by Neil Young and Crazy Horse. Recorded 20 or so years ago but shelved. A curious decision considering some of what Neil has released during that time.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #293 on: July 14, 2022, 09:51:51 AM »

First, a little compilation:

UFO - Too Hot to Handle
Heatwave - Too Hot to Handle
Cockney Rebel - Here Comes the Sun
Glass Animals - Heat Waves
The Who - Heatwave
Lovin' Spoonful - Summer in the City
Donna Summer - Hot Stuff (with inappropriate dancing, obvs!)
Don Henley - Boys of Summer

Then some Gil Scott-Heron - Pieces of a Man and The Revolution Will Not Be Televised

Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #294 on: July 14, 2022, 11:26:12 AM »

A little Toast for breakfast. The newly released archive album by Neil Young and Crazy Horse. Recorded 20 or so years ago but shelved. A curious decision considering some of what Neil has released during that time.

Not really - he re-recorded much of it for Are You Passionate?, and released that instead.

Jules

PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #295 on: July 14, 2022, 12:16:26 PM »

Frank Zappa - Waka/Jawaka and The Grand Wazoo.

I've not heard these for about 40 years, and tbh never really listened closely until now.  Seems I've been missing out!

(These are the CDs issued in 2012 - taken from the original 1972 analogue master recordings).

Flobbadob!
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #296 on: July 14, 2022, 04:36:46 PM »

Not really - he re-recorded much of it for Are You Passionate?, and released that instead.

Jules

Yes, what I mean is that these performances are superior to those on AYP and much of what he has done since.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #297 on: July 14, 2022, 07:43:09 PM »

Yes, what I mean is that these performances are superior to those on AYP and much of what he has done since.

That's encouraging, as I'm quite fond of AYP and the one track from the Toast sessions that made that record (Goin' Home) seemed a bit sub-par in its execution.

Jules

GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #298 on: July 14, 2022, 08:19:14 PM »

That's encouraging, as I'm quite fond of AYP and the one track from the Toast sessions that made that record (Goin' Home) seemed a bit sub-par in its execution.

Jules

I guess it is all a matter of taste . I think this a really fine Crazy Horse album, not up there with Zuma obviously but a whole lot better than Greendale or Broken Arrow and at least as good as Sleeps With Angels to my ears.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #299 on: July 14, 2022, 09:36:42 PM »

I guess it is all a matter of taste . I think this a really fine Crazy Horse album, not up there with Zuma obviously but a whole lot better than Greendale or Broken Arrow and at least as good as Sleeps With Angels to my ears.

Broken Arrow was half a good album - the sequencing really let it down. I didn't like Greendale much.

Jules

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 69   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: