TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 18, 2024, 08:16:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 19   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cropredy 2022  (Read 63594 times)
Poor Will (Bill)
coocoocachoo would just be silly
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Bognor Regis West Sussex

« Reply #200 on: August 12, 2022, 08:40:41 AM »

Let’s put it this way, we now know who was soundchecking “Are You Gonna Go My Way”!
Mrs Fripp was on vocal duties.

Excellent!  I look forward to footage of this surfacing.  This was their sole contribution?  Also, important question - was he sitting or standing?
It was, shame there wasn’t more!

In the words of the Zen Master " Don't just do something, sit there"
Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #201 on: August 12, 2022, 09:19:01 AM »

Folks on Fairporters Facebook page reporting 30 minute queue for the bar!!

Screenshot from Cropredy Village Community Facebook page. Hook Norton have put a call out for bar staff this very morning. You'd think they'd have sorted this before the festival - oh well, better late than never !

* barstaff.jpg (22.17 KB, 551x182 - viewed 1031 times.)
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #202 on: August 12, 2022, 09:47:49 AM »

Let’s put it this way, we now know who was soundchecking “Are You Gonna Go My Way”!

Excellent!  I look forward to footage of this surfacing.  This was their sole contribution?  Also, important question - was he sitting or standing?
Sitting, or rather perched on a stool. Watching his wife with pride  Grin and sporting a splendid Mohican  Cheesy

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Bridgwit (Bridget)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #203 on: August 12, 2022, 09:51:28 AM »

Screenshot from Cropredy Village Community Facebook page. Hook Norton have put a call out for bar staff this very morning. You'd think they'd have sorted this before the festival - oh well, better late than never !
On Facebook there are posts from the brewery & also FC saying they employed plenty of staff but  some haven’t turned up due to covid & other reasons. So they did try to sort it, but casual staff aren’t always the most dependable! Hopefully it’ll be better today  Tiara

davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #204 on: August 12, 2022, 10:03:33 AM »

Sitting, or rather perched on a stool. Watching his wife with pride  Grin and sporting a splendid Mohican  Cheesy

I've seen a few pics now - excellent  Smiley

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #205 on: August 12, 2022, 12:38:07 PM »

On Facebook there are posts from the brewery & also FC saying they employed plenty of staff but  some haven’t turned up due to covid & other reasons. So they did try to sort it, but casual staff aren’t always the most dependable! Hopefully it’ll be better today  Tiara

Since sharing this, I've seen the post on the official page - they've had no shows due to Covid, so they're doing their best.
Anyway, having shared the ad, someone who fancies picking up a couple of bar shifts might see it and get in touch, so all good...
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #206 on: August 12, 2022, 11:16:22 PM »

Can't escape from Hack
ett. Make it go away PLEASE

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
John747

« Reply #207 on: August 12, 2022, 11:37:20 PM »

Looked like a mass exit from where I was stood!
Bridgwit (Bridget)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #208 on: August 13, 2022, 01:23:14 AM »

Can't escape from Hack
ett. Make it go away PLEASE
Why? I want to watch it!

Easier if those that don’t want to see go away, surely?  Grin

StephenB
something about the grinding beat
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Blackpudlian exiled in Ireland

An Sasanach is fearr in Eirinn

« Reply #209 on: August 13, 2022, 02:04:00 AM »

He was brilliant. Anyone who wanted to escape could do - their loss though. Did you like anyone?
Team Ireland did good this year 🙂

One boxing match - what's that? A bout?
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #210 on: August 13, 2022, 09:42:47 AM »

Rather a lovely tweet from Maddie Morris and there's a photo she took from the stage if you go on to her Twitter page. Must admit I haven't heard of her but I will have to give her music a listen.

* Maddie.jpg (57.65 KB, 925x221 - viewed 916 times.)

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
David V B
Order from the other side of the living room

« Reply #211 on: August 13, 2022, 09:46:51 AM »

What has happened to the reviews? It was always a great pleasure of TAW at Cropredy, lots of reviews of all the acts. Come on, folks - those of us who couldn’t get there are depending on you!
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #212 on: August 13, 2022, 09:49:58 AM »

What has happened to the reviews? It was always a great pleasure of TAW at Cropredy, lots of reviews of all the acts. Come on, folks - those of us who couldn’t get there are depending on you!

It's hot.  Robert Fripp and Toyah did a Lenny Kravitz cover and Steve Hackett 'divided opinion'.  Oh and the queue for the bar is quite long.  I think that covers it...no?   Wink

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
StephenB
something about the grinding beat
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Blackpudlian exiled in Ireland

An Sasanach is fearr in Eirinn

« Reply #213 on: August 13, 2022, 02:50:13 PM »

And did we mention its hot. I mean, seriously too hot to do anything. I'm sure the reviews and opinions will follow in spades once the thunderstorms take over...

One boxing match - what's that? A bout?
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #214 on: August 14, 2022, 10:29:19 AM »

From the safety of Kirk Towers (quite the round trip yesterday) I can tell you that The Fairport Convention were on absolutely blistering form yesterday. I’ve not been to Cropredy, or caught the Wintour for some years now, but seeing the band in their natural constituency was an absolute treat and a privilege.
A very decent set selection led into the main reason for me being there - the Full House compendium (purists might argue about the inclusion of ‘Poor Will’ and ‘Flowers of the Forest’ but luckily there’s no-one like that around here, eh?). The field was absolutely full for the entire evening - perhaps because the signature ‘beat the queue’ anthem Matty Groves didn't appear, presumably due to time constraints. There was an onstage board meeting at one point where some toys nearly got thrown off the stage, but one might argue that fewer rambling stories about (say) getting a tattoo as part of your bucket list might have left room for more songs. Having said that, I wouldn’t have missed the ‘Flatback Caper’ intro for the world.
Sir Norm in fine, fine voice, DM reliably magnificent, Thompy on fire, and speaking of whom, what an opening set! Managing to transform ‘Genesis Hall’ into an audience call and response singalong, and hitting us with a triple whammy of the one about the motorbike, ‘Beeswing’ and ‘From Galway to Graceland’ (feat. Iain Matthews) meant that it was probably incipient hay fever making my eyes water like that.
As for the rest of the day, I wandered easily up to the bar throughout the day, and where there was a fine, old-school selection of TAWers ready to toast on the dot of half seven, but I was sorry to miss a couple of familiar faces through what I now know to be extenuating circumstances. Sympathies and best wishes, friends. Holy Moly and The Crackers were my highlight of the supporting cast, and my very best wishes to the (at my count) three successful proposals engineered over the course of the weekend.
And yes, it was hot.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2022, 10:47:38 AM by Shane (Skirky) » Logged

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
Sue & Chris

« Reply #215 on: August 14, 2022, 11:16:46 AM »

I thought the first two thirds of Fairport's set was good - nice, varied song selection (always good to hear some Maart era stuff) and well played.  Full House was a bit chaotic - let's be generous and say it was a little under-rehearsed.  The closing double whammy of WKWTTG and Meet on Ledge was a very emotional moment for us (I suspect for a lot of people), having lost a good friend and regular Cropredy attender since the last event in 2019.  No Matty Groves (and even then they overran by 10 minutes), but that didn't really matter.  

I saw at least one video camera and mic set up in the field, so I'm sure it will all surface on YouTube soon.
Sue & Chris

« Reply #216 on: August 14, 2022, 11:40:50 AM »

Some thoughts about this years festival.  

Good things:

1)  We didn't burn the place down.
2)  The weather - yes it was very hot, but I'd take that over pelting down with rain any day.  And from about 7pm onwards it was very pleasant.
3)  The performances.  Some of the acts were not to my taste, but everyone put a shift in.  Turin Brakes veered closest to patronising 'isn't this quaint' territory, but were rescued by their drummer - apparently a Fairport fan and long time festival attendee.  Personal favourites were The Trevor Horn Band (brilliant entertainment, they overran by nearly 20 minutes but could have carried on all night as far as I was concerned), Home Service (pretty much the same set as last time, but great to see John Tams waving his walking stick about as he raged against the state we're in), Grand Slambovians (wasn't sure what to expect, but they were excellent), and Seth Lakeman (bossed the Digance slot, congratulations to whoever persuaded him to do it.)
4)  The bar - prefer the Hook Norton beers to Wadworths (especially since 6X disappeared), and props to them for apologising and sorting things out after making a complete mess of it on the Thursday.  
5)  The organisers and volunteers - massive well done to them all.

Room for improvement:

1)  Split screen effects on the big screen.  It seems that someone spotted the 'split screen' button on Saturday, and then got carried away.  If the purpose of the big screens is to enable those further back the field to see what's going on, what's the point of splitting the screen so that the images are not much bigger than the people on the stage?  Stop it.
2)  Garden parasols.  I know it was hot, and sunny, and that some people need shade, but some of these things were massive and being used quite near the front - they completely hid the stage for those behind.  I understand the reasons for it, but I don't have to like it.  
3)  Endless personal announcements from the stage.  It's lovely that some people were at their first Cropredy, or brought their baby, or got engaged, but I don't want to hear about it for five minutes between each band.  I felt sorry for Anthony John Clarke, it was clear he was fed up of it by Saturday as well.
4)  It was sad to see that it was necessary to put messages on the big screen asking people to be nice to the workers and volunteers.  I know it was hot, but what's happened to a bit of patience and understanding?  Having said that, thankfully it was largely all bonhomie and good will in our spot.

All in all, another great festival.  Looking forward to next year already!
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #217 on: August 14, 2022, 12:05:37 PM »

Full House was a bit chaotic - let's be generous and say it was a little under-rehearsed.

I'm a bit surprised by this, although I do have my own reservations about the material I've already seen online and here myself.  I wonder if there were monitor issues...didn't get these sort of comments from the Tuesday warm-up?  Personally, having seen them do it all a few times, I've never known Fairport not get the old FH stuff bang on

Sue & Chris

« Reply #218 on: August 14, 2022, 12:17:17 PM »

Full House was a bit chaotic - let's be generous and say it was a little under-rehearsed.

I'm a bit surprised by this, although I do have my own reservations about the material I've already seen online and here myself.  I wonder if there were monitor issues...didn't get these sort of comments from the Tuesday warm-up?  Personally, having seen them do it all a few times, I've never known Fairport not get the old FH stuff bang on

Maybe, Simon was certainly having technical problems early on.  Perhaps they were a bit tired - they'd been onstage for well over an hour and a half by the time Full House started, and Peggy was sitting down for some of the time.  I also wonder if they were conscious of running over time (although they did anyway)?  It wasn't terrible or anything - obviously they know the material well and I enjoyed it, but just not quite on point as far as I'm concerned (others may of course disagree!)
Poor Will (Bill)
coocoocachoo would just be silly
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Bognor Regis West Sussex

« Reply #219 on: August 14, 2022, 02:45:03 PM »

The Full House section was going along nicely, but it kind of fell apart a bit during Sir Patrick Spens and didn’t seem to fully recover.
There were obviously discussions of some sort going on on the stage, but from half way up the field it was impossible to see what was going on.
I assume that Marty Groves was dropped due to time restraints. (Either that or they saw the blisteringly good version by The Sandy Denny Project at the Brasenose on Wednesday and simply threw the towel in!🤣🤣🤣)

In the words of the Zen Master " Don't just do something, sit there"
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 19   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: