TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 26, 2024, 04:35:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Richard and Linda Box Set  (Read 108529 times)
Chris from Fieldtown
Sorry Bob

Loc: Fieldtown, Oxon

« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2020, 08:50:08 PM »

That's always been Rt's reply when asked but I wonder if just didn't want these reissued? He's quite strong minded about his ealier work and not always complimentary. Perhaps he's mellowed or perhaps the masters have suddenly come to light.

Yes, I always thought it was less a case of the tapes being lost and more a case that Richard put them down somewhere and wasn't too bothered about just where he put them, or about looking for them.  I mean, when all is said and done, they were definitely the weakest two albums he'd been involved in up to that point.

Jules

I would reach for First Light and even Sunnyvista over Hokey Pokey which I was a disappointment to me at the time after the amazing Bright ligts album. First Light has some great tracks, Pavanne, House of Cards, First Light, Died For Love, all top notch tracks. It's a gentler album and more thoughtful than some so I guess it gets overlooked.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2020, 08:24:52 AM »

I would reach for First Light and even Sunnyvista over Hokey Pokey which I was a disappointment to me at the time after the amazing Bright ligts album. First Light has some great tracks, Pavanne, House of Cards, First Light, Died For Love, all top notch tracks. It's a gentler album and more thoughtful than some so I guess it gets overlooked.

Well said, Chris.  I can agree with almost every word of this.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Jamie73
Wine over Jane Birkin

« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2020, 10:39:44 AM »

Hi all. Andrew is a close friend so I've been lucky and privy to witness all the hard work he's put into this box set. I can tell you that it is fantastic. For me, the best part is the absolute first-class mastering job he has done on both First Light and Sunnyvista - I thought I knew those albums inside out but the care and attention he has put into the mastering has brought out all sorts of things that were a little buried and bloated in the past.
Andy B
Playing in the Sandbox

Loc: London

« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2020, 12:11:05 PM »

That's always been Rt's reply when asked but I wonder if just didn't want these reissued? He's quite strong minded about his ealier work and not always complimentary. Perhaps he's mellowed or perhaps the masters have suddenly come to light.

Yes, I always thought it was less a case of the tapes being lost and more a case that Richard put them down somewhere and wasn't too bothered about just where he put them, or about looking for them.  I mean, when all is said and done, they were definitely the weakest two albums he'd been involved in up to that point.

Jules

The reels were definitely lost - the rights were quite complex on them and have changed over the years so they were sent from pillar to post as the terms dictated. Richard and Linda now own both albums outright. I think RT just wasn't bothered about finding them because he wasn't that keen on either album
Andy B
Playing in the Sandbox

« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2020, 12:13:34 PM »

I think both First Light and Sunnyvista have some solid tracks on them and their reputation is a little unfair- i'm hoping the boxset will lead to them being re-evaluated a little bit!
garrypbrooks

« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2020, 12:22:37 PM »

Jules

The reels were definitely lost - the rights were quite complex on them and have changed over the years so they were sent from pillar to post as the terms dictated. Richard and Linda now own both albums outright. I think RT just wasn't bothered about finding them because he wasn't that keen on either album

I must confess that I bought a tape of "First Light" back in the 80s but mislaid it years ago and never bothered replacing it.  Pretty weak stuff compared with "Hokey Pokey" & IWTSTBLT
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2020, 04:08:22 PM »

I think both First Light and Sunnyvista have some solid tracks on them and their reputation is a little unfair- i'm hoping the boxset will lead to them being re-evaluated a little bit!

I gave my copy of Sunnyvista a listen last night (Carthage LP, 1983). I think its rather good, but what do I know, I'm pretty much allergic to I Want to See etc. Actually have a copy still sealed, purchased in the 90s iirc.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #47 on: July 13, 2020, 04:09:50 PM »

I'm pretty much allergic to I Want to See etc. Actually have a copy still sealed, purchased in the 90s iirc.

Cripes  Shocked

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #48 on: July 13, 2020, 07:09:39 PM »

I'm pretty much allergic to I Want to See etc. Actually have a copy still sealed, purchased in the 90s iirc.

Cripes  Shocked

Burn him!  He' a witch!

Seriously though, that record is wall-to-wall perfect songs (I'll allow for The Great Valerio being a bit tedious, but that's about all).  It's a big time 'singalong' album for me.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #49 on: July 14, 2020, 11:39:25 AM »

Cripes  Shocked

Burn him!  He' a witch!

Seriously though, that record is wall-to-wall perfect songs (I'll allow for The Great Valerio being a bit tedious, but that's about all).  It's a big time 'singalong' album for me.

Jules

Actually Jules I think it's the singalong factor that seems to put me
off. I think it got a lot of airplay on the likes of Bob Harris in its day and I reached that 'oh not this again'  state. Particularly with the title song.

Just realised once again last night I have Strict Tempo sealed,  too. Both albums date from a Ryko sale when the company went down, iirc.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #50 on: July 16, 2020, 02:42:19 PM »

Amazon order link is live.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TBC/dp/B083LRFMPL/ref=sr_1_12?crid=345DUXGUOASA0&dchild=1&keywords=richard+and+linda+thompson&qid=1594906900&s=music&sprefix=richa%2Caps%2C193&sr=1-12
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #51 on: July 16, 2020, 03:39:32 PM »

Yes. £70.50.  It'll be interesting to see which way that goes.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #52 on: July 16, 2020, 03:45:23 PM »

Hmmm.  I was hoping it would be closer to £50 although it's far from unreasonable.

Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #53 on: July 16, 2020, 03:55:47 PM »

And who's going to cough up for the limited signed lithograph?? Cool
Andy B
Playing in the Sandbox

« Reply #54 on: July 16, 2020, 04:39:27 PM »

Honestly I feel £70 is a very very fair price for this given the glossy hard back book etc- it's much better value than the Stones!
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #55 on: July 16, 2020, 06:34:47 PM »

Honestly I feel £70 is a very very fair price for this given the glossy hard back book etc

I did say hoping!  Nah, I don't disagree with you at all...I'll be getting one.

Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #56 on: July 16, 2020, 08:13:48 PM »

Hmmm.  I was hoping it would be closer to £50 although it's far from unreasonable.

Same.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #57 on: July 16, 2020, 08:31:49 PM »

Ordered...

Flobbadob!
peter m

« Reply #58 on: August 14, 2020, 05:41:57 PM »

Currently £56.38 on Amazon for anyone on the margin of pressing the button.
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #59 on: August 14, 2020, 06:02:31 PM »

Currently £56.38 on Amazon for anyone on the margin of pressing the button.

Thanks!  I looked earlier today, and it was still at £70, but that has decided me.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: