TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 18, 2024, 02:25:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 27   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Upcoming releases of interest  (Read 143355 times)
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #160 on: August 05, 2021, 09:09:51 AM »

If Jennifer Warnes' album counts, I'd give a vote for Dave Burland's His Master's Choice too, which is his album of RT covers.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #161 on: August 05, 2021, 09:13:56 AM »

This is why I love TAW.

I've discovered 2 new bands in the last few day - Los Lobos I'd heard of but had no idea of their work beyond La Bamba, and Wondermint who I had never heard of but love.

Thanks!  Cheesy

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #162 on: August 05, 2021, 09:25:51 AM »

This is why I love TAW.

I've discovered 2 new bands in the last few day - Los Lobos I'd heard of but had no idea of their work beyond La Bamba, and Wondermint who I had never heard of but love.

Thanks!  Cheesy

I highly recommend hearing to first Los Lobos song I ever heard - Will the Wolf Survive.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #163 on: August 05, 2021, 09:28:15 AM »

I'd give hat-tips towards Kathryn Williams'  Relations, and Karine Polwart's Scottish Songbook, too.

KP's version of Swim Until You Can't See Land is superb.

I'll add Kate Rusby's Hand Me Down and the RT covers album Beat The Retreat.

But my favourite is probably Patti Smith's Twelve.

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #164 on: August 05, 2021, 10:16:02 AM »

But my favourite is probably Patti Smith's Twelve.

I'm with Colin on this.  It's a joyful wondrous album, and the tour was a blessing (although I know we have a detractor amongst us here) - two of my favourite gigs ever.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #165 on: August 05, 2021, 10:24:27 AM »

This is why I love TAW.

Thanks!  Cheesy

I highly recommend hearing to first Los Lobos song I ever heard - Will the Wolf Survive.

Jules
On it Smiley

Whilst checking out the Wondermint's back catalogue (joy!) I discovered a website called Cherry Red which has some wonderous albums and boxsets. Have just grabbed Beyond the Pale Horizon - The British Progressive Pop Sounds Smiley

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #166 on: August 05, 2021, 10:38:53 AM »

This is why I love TAW.

Thanks!  Cheesy

Jules
On it Smiley

Whilst checking out the Wondermint's back catalogue (joy!) I discovered a website called Cherry Red which has some wonderous albums and boxsets. Have just grabbed Beyond the Pale Horizon - The British Progressive Pop Sounds Smiley

Not heard of the Cherry Red label before, Bridget?  They've got a long and illustrious history as a independent label....https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherry_Red_Records

More recently they've (as you've discovered) become one of the best reissue/repackaging/compilation labels in the business.  I could spend my entire buying budget on their releases...and I often do!

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #167 on: August 05, 2021, 11:13:42 AM »

This is why I love TAW.

Thanks!  Cheesy

Jules
On it Smiley

Not heard of the Cherry Red label before, Bridget?  They've got a long and illustrious history as a independent label....https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherry_Red_Records

More recently they've (as you've discovered) become one of the best reissue/repackaging/compilation labels in the business.  I could spend my entire buying budget on their releases...and I often do!
To my shame no, but now I have I'm only slightly worried a large part of my disposable income will be going their way!!  Grin

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #168 on: August 05, 2021, 11:27:55 AM »

To my shame no, but now I have I'm only slightly worried a large part of my disposable income will be going their way!!  Grin

How exciting...enjoy!

John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #169 on: August 06, 2021, 07:41:51 PM »

This is a nice surprise -

The Doobie Brothers have released a 4-song EP for streaming/download, and on October 1, 2021, they will release a new album (their 15th overall)!
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #170 on: August 06, 2021, 07:54:20 PM »

This is a nice surprise -

The Doobie Brothers have released a 4-song EP for streaming/download, and on October 1, 2021, they will release a new album (their 15th overall)!

A nice surprise indeed, though I hope it is a step up from World Gone Crazy, which I never warmed to.
wayne stote
Many thanks for the Doobies advice

« Reply #171 on: August 06, 2021, 11:29:40 PM »

This is why I love TAW.

Thanks!  Cheesy

Jules
On it Smiley

Be careful. The Cherry Red boxed sets are very addictive.  Smiley

Usually great though!
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #172 on: August 07, 2021, 10:19:46 AM »

Los Lobos covers album https://www.theguardian.com/music/2021/aug/03/los-lobos-la-bamba-gave-us-an-identity-crisis

A surprisingly super straight but decent cover of Sail on Sailor in the article...

I'm always wary of the covers album.  It usually means inspiration has dried up.  Can anyone think of an essential covers album?

Jules

Thea Gilmore: Loft Music.

I think Thea has remained consistently inspired and inspiring at every stage of her career.

I'd give hat-tips towards Kathryn Williams'  Relations, and Karine Polwart's Scottish Songbook, too.

Cheers

Nick

Another vote for Loft music, Ever Fallen In Love is a brilliant interpretation. Whilst it's various artists, the Rubber Folk reworking of Rubber Soul has some great tracks on it and several artists emerge with a big thumbs up from me.

Loft Music is a wonderful album - but I'm a bony fido Theaphile. Regarding 'Rubber Folk', I saw Show of Hands not long after they contributed to the album and I recall Phil Beer advising audience members not to google the album title, as they might get a shock! Grin

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
Bridgwit (Bridget)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #173 on: August 07, 2021, 03:38:38 PM »

This is why I love TAW.

Thanks!  Cheesy

Jules
On it Smiley

Be careful. The Cherry Red boxed sets are very addictive.  Smiley

Usually great though!
And I’m supposed to be getting rid of stuff, not buying new….  Undecided
Nobody must tell my husband  Wink

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #174 on: August 09, 2021, 02:28:12 PM »

The new British Sea Power album.  Except it's not...it's the first album by Sea Power.

Statement here https://seapowerband.com/news/goodbye-british-sea-power-hello-sea-power

New album (pre-ordering...out early next year) https://seapower.tmstor.es/

Col D

Loc: South Cheshire

« Reply #175 on: August 09, 2021, 05:56:30 PM »

The new British Sea Power album.  Except it's not...it's the first album by Sea Power.

Statement here https://seapowerband.com/news/goodbye-british-sea-power-hello-sea-power

I can understand their thinking but at the same time feel it's a bit sad they feel the need to have to make the change. Does it carry overtones of xenophobic nationalism? Not to me it doesn't, never crossed my mind for a second. So, Sea Power it is from now on, although I've always called them that anyway. Already pre-ordered the limited edition box set, can't wait.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #176 on: August 09, 2021, 06:11:40 PM »

I can understand their thinking but at the same time feel it's a bit sad they feel the need to have to make the change. Does it carry overtones of xenophobic nationalism? Not to me it doesn't, never crossed my mind for a second. So, Sea Power it is from now on, although I've always called them that anyway. Already pre-ordered the limited edition box set, can't wait.

I'm inclined to agree with you.  I also suspect it is commercial suicide to throw out 25 year's worth of marketing.  But hell, we love 'em, so there we are.  Sea Power!  Sea Power!

Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #177 on: August 10, 2021, 12:01:22 PM »

throw out 25 year's worth of marketing.  

The flipside is that the name change announcement is also quite a strong marketing gambit.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #178 on: August 10, 2021, 12:28:03 PM »

throw out 25 year's worth of marketing.  

The flipside is that the name change announcement is also quite a strong marketing gambit.

Jules

To whom though?  The fan will follow.  The casual listener/product buyer/occasional gig attendee will, without question, be confused.  My other half who has followed them for most of their career feels very uneasy about it all.  Anyway, it is what it is.  But, I suspect, they'll always be BSP to me.

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #179 on: August 11, 2021, 09:50:44 AM »

Starry Eyed and Laughing are back (next month)...little teaser vid here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OBjaZSDBB0

Ooooh, I do love me the sound of Tony's Rickenbacker...

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 27   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: