TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 29, 2024, 12:38:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Bar-Steward Sons of Val Doonican  (Read 69500 times)
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #80 on: August 27, 2018, 08:21:46 PM »

I try to remain positive.  If I dislike something I prefer to stay quiet and not promote it - if others like it then they can do that.  If I spent all my time trying to do down every artist who sang or played something I didn't like I'd never have time to drink beer Grin
Good strategy!

Could we have a vote to change the forum name to Grumpawhile? It is strangely attractive.  
It's certainly a good name for a forum!

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #81 on: August 27, 2018, 08:34:47 PM »

As far as reviews of the Sons set is concerned I suggest here there are two negative, one OK as a novelty, one concerned by possible 'isms, and all the others positive. Let's hope they never suffer a series of truly negative criticism or we all may be overwhelmed by toys bring thrown out of prams.

DW
delfini (Diane)
I've now got 3 pairs
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

.......watching feathers fall from angels....

« Reply #82 on: August 28, 2018, 10:51:35 PM »

I didn’t really get them, but I’ve a very strange sense of humour.  Roll Eyes Undecided.
I did laugh out loud at ‘Paint it back’ as the eyebrow trend bemuses me Roll Eyes
Maybe it would have been better if I’d listened to the words/ been in a place where I could hear them, but I struggle with obvious puns/farce etc. Just my opinion, so not fact.

and all I really know is that kindness is better than any sort of terror, any kind of spite (Martyn Joseph)
Scott Doonican
n3wb

« Reply #83 on: September 03, 2018, 03:46:41 PM »

Howdy TalkaWhilers...

I've only just popped back in to see how everybody was doing, and then realise that I have (yet again) upset some people.
Okay

1. "Grumpawhile" was used in a humorous way... I really don't think you are all Level 3 Curmudgeons. Some of you are lovely.
2. If you are still offended... you are still allowed to be, but remember offence is only ever TAKEN, never GIVEN
3. I am a nice guy, so if you do want that pint, I am happy to join you for one.
4. For the person who asked about what Val's daughter would make of this... here's a little true story from my book 'Songs In The Key of Tarn'...

"I started to write the 2nd Edition of Songs In The Key Of Tarn, in late June 2017. During the time that I was writing, I would regularly start the day by checking Facebook, and looking back at the ‘On This Day’ section, which would recall the different statuses that I had posted on that given day, in years gone by. It was a useful way to clarify dates and remind me of events, which we worthy of adding to the original collection of anecdotes.

On the 3rd July, I was reminded of my 2015 status, that was posted on that sad day. It had been announced on the news, that morning, that Val Doonican had passed away two days previously. I had, throughout the day, been inundated with messages from many of my Facebook friends, and some from people that weren’t too.

I posted at the end of the day, in reflection…

“It’s been a weird old emotional day. There’s a man whose name has been on my lips, nearly every da,y for over 9 years, whose family deserve my most heartfelt condolences. To them, I give my ultimate respect and deepest sympathies, where it is due.

Today’s news was horrible to stomach… more so, as message after message hit my Facebook page and it made me feel guilty for those that hadn’t seen the irony of our band’s personas. I shed a tear or two because it truly felt like a member of the band had passed. I still feel numb with disbelief now.

Sadly, there were also a few people who thought that our band was a malicious thing… so for them, I wish to point out, that Val Doonican was held in my highest regard, as one of the greatest entertainers of his generation.

He was the very best in his field – a truly special entertainer. He was Mr Saturday Night, long before Ant & Dec were a glint in their fathers’ eyes. He was also an outstanding musician, regarded highly by his peers.

When we released our first ever 12” vinyl LP, I contacted his former-agent, to be able to post a copy of our record to Val, for approval. It was one of the proudest achievements of my life, to hopefully be posting our very first 12” slab of vinyl, to the person who spawned our band’s image, name, and so much more. Our ‘local record for local people’ was shipped off to Buckinghamshire, along with a humble letter, hoping for acknowledgement from the great man, that he ‘got’ what we were doing.

I never got to meet Val, which I will always regret now, but also never got the reply that I had hoped for, that may have vindicated what we do. It makes no odds… you were a fine, shining star in the world of entertainment, Val, and I intend to keep your legacy of ‘entertaining’ people alive and well, wherever I can.

I raise a glass to you tonight, and every gig from here onwards.

God Bless you Michael Valentine Doonican… may you rest in peace, but gently.”

On the morning of 3rd July 2017, two years on, I re-shared that very post, in tribute to Val. About twenty minutes later, I received a Facebook notification, that Fiona Doonican (one of Val’s two daughters), had commented on it…

“Oh, we knew about you Scott! He wasn’t one for the internet, but we told him about you and he chuckled.  x”

She will probably never know how much that made, not only my day, but my whole career. Just knowing that Val knew about us in his lifetime, and that he got the joke, was something I will always be immensely proud of.  

Coincidentally, Fiona has made friends... she's currently working on an exhibition of her dad's artwork in Beaconsfield, Buckinghamshire. She's dead nice, and I wouldn't have found that out if I hadn't been in this daft little band.

Peace and love peeps
Scott
A Level 4 Curmudgeon  Wink
Bridgwit (Bridget)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #84 on: September 03, 2018, 07:06:35 PM »

What a great story! Don't worry about the naysayers Scott, from all the YouTube vids I've seen you go down a storm wherever you are. Admittedly if someone goes to a BSSofVD gig they're likely to be a fan, whereas in a festival setting many people will have come for other musicians, but even so.

I was at Cropredy and witnessed most of the people around me having a laugh and a good time and shouting "nice cock!" rather too loudly  Shocked and that's what it's all about. That, and the Okey-Cokey...

Bridgwit
A Level 1 Curmudgeon    Tiara

StephenB
something about the grinding beat
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Blackpudlian exiled in Ireland

An Sasanach is fearr in Eirinn

« Reply #85 on: September 03, 2018, 07:18:24 PM »

Nice one Scott
Stephen here
Can I come over to Barnsley and have a  night out with you and Kate Rusby?   Cheesy

One boxing match - what's that? A bout?
Scott Doonican
n3wb

« Reply #86 on: September 05, 2018, 01:10:53 AM »

Well, seeing as the entire Xmas Tour has sold out, I'm doing a rare free-entry solo NEW YEAR'S EVE HOOTENANNY show in Wombwell Barnsley (details to be updated shortly on our website) and everybody is welcome.
If you wanna join me in my local boozer for a pint, a load of daft singalongs and silliness, then you are more than welcome to join the party. There is a Premier Inn within 0.7 miles walking distance, and the pub is run by the original Tango Man from the 90s adverts (he was also in Muppets Treasure Island too) who also runs his own brewery that do award winning real ale.
StephenB
something about the grinding beat
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Blackpudlian exiled in Ireland

An Sasanach is fearr in Eirinn

« Reply #87 on: September 05, 2018, 02:39:29 AM »

is the walking distance before or after? Simon-Full Sleepy

One boxing match - what's that? A bout?
Bridgwit (Bridget)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #88 on: September 05, 2018, 07:45:59 AM »

Well, seeing as the entire Xmas Tour has sold out, I'm doing a rare free-entry solo NEW YEAR'S EVE HOOTENANNY show in Wombwell Barnsley (details to be updated shortly on our website) and everybody is welcome.
If you wanna join me in my local boozer for a pint, a load of daft singalongs and silliness, then you are more than welcome to join the party. There is a Premier Inn within 0.7 miles walking distance, and the pub is run by the original Tango Man from the 90s adverts (he was also in Muppets Treasure Island too) who also runs his own brewery that do award winning real ale.

The one from this advert?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqVFnxHWnlc

bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #89 on: September 05, 2018, 08:02:27 AM »

Howdy TalkaWhilers...

I've only just popped back in to see how everybody was doing, and then realise that I have (yet again) upset some people.
Okay

1. "Grumpawhile" was used in a humorous way... I really don't think you are all Level 3 Curmudgeons. Some of you are lovely.
2. If you are still offended... you are still allowed to be, but remember offence is only ever TAKEN, never GIVEN
3. I am a nice guy, so if you do want that pint, I am happy to join you for one.
4. For the person who asked about what Val's daughter would make of this... here's a little true story from my book 'Songs In The Key of Tarn'...

"I started to write the 2nd Edition of Songs In The Key Of Tarn, in late June 2017. During the time that I was writing, I would regularly start the day by checking Facebook, and looking back at the ‘On This Day’ section, which would recall the different statuses that I had posted on that given day, in years gone by. It was a useful way to clarify dates and remind me of events, which we worthy of adding to the original collection of anecdotes.

On the 3rd July, I was reminded of my 2015 status, that was posted on that sad day. It had been announced on the news, that morning, that Val Doonican had passed away two days previously. I had, throughout the day, been inundated with messages from many of my Facebook friends, and some from people that weren’t too.

I posted at the end of the day, in reflection…

“It’s been a weird old emotional day. There’s a man whose name has been on my lips, nearly every da,y for over 9 years, whose family deserve my most heartfelt condolences. To them, I give my ultimate respect and deepest sympathies, where it is due.

Today’s news was horrible to stomach… more so, as message after message hit my Facebook page and it made me feel guilty for those that hadn’t seen the irony of our band’s personas. I shed a tear or two because it truly felt like a member of the band had passed. I still feel numb with disbelief now.

Sadly, there were also a few people who thought that our band was a malicious thing… so for them, I wish to point out, that Val Doonican was held in my highest regard, as one of the greatest entertainers of his generation.

He was the very best in his field – a truly special entertainer. He was Mr Saturday Night, long before Ant & Dec were a glint in their fathers’ eyes. He was also an outstanding musician, regarded highly by his peers.

When we released our first ever 12” vinyl LP, I contacted his former-agent, to be able to post a copy of our record to Val, for approval. It was one of the proudest achievements of my life, to hopefully be posting our very first 12” slab of vinyl, to the person who spawned our band’s image, name, and so much more. Our ‘local record for local people’ was shipped off to Buckinghamshire, along with a humble letter, hoping for acknowledgement from the great man, that he ‘got’ what we were doing.

I never got to meet Val, which I will always regret now, but also never got the reply that I had hoped for, that may have vindicated what we do. It makes no odds… you were a fine, shining star in the world of entertainment, Val, and I intend to keep your legacy of ‘entertaining’ people alive and well, wherever I can.

I raise a glass to you tonight, and every gig from here onwards.

God Bless you Michael Valentine Doonican… may you rest in peace, but gently.”

On the morning of 3rd July 2017, two years on, I re-shared that very post, in tribute to Val. About twenty minutes later, I received a Facebook notification, that Fiona Doonican (one of Val’s two daughters), had commented on it…

“Oh, we knew about you Scott! He wasn’t one for the internet, but we told him about you and he chuckled.  x”

She will probably never know how much that made, not only my day, but my whole career. Just knowing that Val knew about us in his lifetime, and that he got the joke, was something I will always be immensely proud of.  

Coincidentally, Fiona has made friends... she's currently working on an exhibition of her dad's artwork in Beaconsfield, Buckinghamshire. She's dead nice, and I wouldn't have found that out if I hadn't been in this daft little band.

Peace and love peeps
Scott
A Level 4 Curmudgeon  Wink

In a slightly altered universe, I reckon Val might have done a similar thing to Dean Friedman with his response to Half Man Half Biscuit's Barsteward Son Of Dean Friedman - i.e perform the song with them live and also compose a response song. Ladies and gentleman, for one night only, Val Doonican and his Barsteward Sons perform his greatest hits ! Some Of My Best Friends Are Scones, Paddy McGinty's Scr....er Coat, definitely Coat, and many more !
May the Dooniclan live long and prosper.

Well I never did..
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: