TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 23, 2024, 03:37:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RT Memoirs Due 2019  (Read 36962 times)
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2021, 09:25:30 PM »

Mine arrived today but i wont be getting my greasy mitts on it until my birthday, sunday.😎

The Dude abides
Shankly (Peter)
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Liverpool, England

« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2021, 01:20:11 PM »

Mine arrived today but i wont be getting my greasy mitts on it until my birthday, sunday.😎

Mine has just arrived too. Happy Birthday for Sunday!
Barry
barrY howarD
Global Moderator

Loc: Sidcup, Kent

The best and oldest furniture cannot be rearranged

« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2021, 08:07:15 AM »

My copy arrived on Thursday.  I also got the audio version with RT reading it himself which is excellent.

Just because you believe something doesn't make it true.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2021, 03:35:06 PM »

Nice interview with RT in the Irish Times:

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/books/richard-thompson-on-the-fairport-convention-years-i-probably-never-went-on-stage-sober-1.4524992

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Col D

Loc: South Cheshire

« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2021, 09:01:36 AM »

Just finished this. Mixed feelings really, what's there is engaging and eminently readable but it's frustratingly short and too many significant events tend to get passed over a bit too quickly for me. He is, however, more candid on his reasons for leaving Fairport than I've seen previously and finally clears up any lingering doubt about Sandy's did-she-jump-or-was-she-pushed departure. Enjoyed it but was hoping for something a bit more in depth.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2021, 11:49:32 AM »

Just finished this. Mixed feelings really, what's there is engaging and eminently readable but it's frustratingly short and too many significant events tend to get passed over a bit too quickly for me. He is, however, more candid on his reasons for leaving Fairport than I've seen previously and finally clears up any lingering doubt about Sandy's did-she-jump-or-was-she-pushed departure. Enjoyed it but was hoping for something a bit more in depth.

I too am in the (perhaps overstating it a bit) 'disappointed' camp.  A bit like Mike Heron's recent book, what was there was engaging, well written and interesting, but I was left wanting a lot more...(like a legible signature instead of a scribbled initial perhaps?).

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Shankly (Peter)
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2021, 12:19:17 PM »

I too am in the (perhaps overstating it a bit) 'disappointed' camp.  A bit like Mike Heron's recent book, what was there was engaging, well written and interesting, but I was left wanting a lot more...(like a legible signature instead of a scribbled initial perhaps?).

Haven't started it yet (just finishing Richard Osman's book) - I certainly agree about the 'signature'. It's not even in the book either - it's on a bookplate. I am looking forward to reading it though.
Brendan
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Barrow-in-Furness

« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2021, 12:26:56 PM »

I have decided not to buy it, so many people are posting sections of it on Facebook etc I feel I have read it already.

"I'm only a bag of Rags in an Overall"
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2021, 02:44:54 PM »

I bought the autographed book for my shelf and the pictures, but I actually listened to it on Audible. RT does a marvelous job narrating the story.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2021, 02:49:03 PM »

I certainly agree about the 'signature'. It's not even in the book either - it's on a bookplate.  

Is this from Rough Trade (where I got my copy from)?  That made me cross.  A book plate affixed to the title page is not "a signed book", it is a book with a signed bookplate attached.  As any bookdealer will tell you that is a very different thing indeed - trades descriptions and all that!

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Shankly (Peter)
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2021, 03:21:23 PM »

I certainly agree about the 'signature'. It's not even in the book either - it's on a bookplate.  

Is this from Rough Trade (where I got my copy from)?  That made me cross.  A book plate affixed to the title page is not "a signed book", it is a book with a signed bookplate attached.  As any bookdealer will tell you that is a very different thing indeed - trades descriptions and all that!

Yes , it was from Rough Trade
Peter Allen

« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2021, 09:45:21 AM »

Crikey
Mine's from Rough Trade but  put away for my birthday - now from the comments on here  I can't even look forward to looking at the signature !
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2021, 10:45:02 AM »

Crikey
Mine's from Rough Trade but  put away for my birthday - now from the comments on here  I can't even look forward to looking at the signature !

I'm fairly sure he'll have written "To Peter, Best wishes from your friend, Richard Thompson" on yours...but for me....  Grin

* IMG_20210417_155927379.jpg (340.34 KB, 3072x4096 - viewed 690 times.)

Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2021, 11:03:05 AM »

A couple of weeks before my dad died i queued up for a signed copy of one of Alex Ferguson's ( the first, i think) for his birthday.  It too had  post it note stuck on the inside and i was sorely tempted to complain bitterly.
  Its nothing more than a cheap marketing ploy.

The Dude abides
Shankly (Peter)
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2021, 11:55:32 AM »

Yep - mine looks just like David's does.
arie

« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2021, 12:04:02 PM »

In their defense, Covid put a stop to RT going easily to the UK and signing the actual books. When the pre-order got up they probably hadn't foreseen that. It would've cost too much to send the books to and fro. A large bunch of the US version was signed by RT on the title page, with the same squiggle however.
Rough Trade didn't ask more money for the signed books either, as sometimes others do.

But yeah, I was disappointed too when the book arrived last week.
Bright side is that the UK version is a bit larger, has more pictures. Some of them in colour, the US book has only b/w pics

vriendelijke groeten

Arie Euwijk
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2021, 01:21:29 PM »

And, lets be honest about this, the man can bloody well write (and write bloody well).  But then we knew that...  Wink Smiley  There are paragraphs one wants to just read again and again and again...  I'm kind of surprised it's got somebody else's name on it as well as his own.  I'd be intrigued to know who did what.

Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2021, 05:51:02 PM »

Just finished RT reading the biog to me via Audible. Very good, but as has been stated previously, I'd have liked something a bit more in depth.
He's also mistaken in assuming that the only part of his career of interest is the fledgling years until 1975 with a brief epilogue. The solo years, his "Americanisation" touched on in Patrick Humphries' "Strange Affair" biography, the years spent becoming a cult favourite - every album he releases showered in critical plaudits but "bloody hell I'd like to have had a hit record too". The demise of his 2nd marriage, becoming a "living legend", his take on appearing at Cropredy, Peggy half-joking that they "can only afford him every 3 years" or when there's a 5 year anniversary, his duo work with Danny Thompson, etc. I'd have liked a career-spanning account of all these things and more.
I'd love to see a Part 2 or Part 3, there's still time. I'm aware that he's already dismissed the prospect, however. Shame...
blagden
Money for
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: South God's Own Country

I am a rebel - whilst ever my wife will let me be!

« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2021, 08:40:58 PM »

I have no idea or insight into any of this but doesn't this and the over-priced concert tickets (for one man and a guitar) and the alleged high hiring fees and the all meet and greet nonsense make him a look a tiny bit mercenary?
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2021, 01:25:47 PM »

I have no idea or insight into any of this but doesn't this and the over-priced concert tickets (for one man and a guitar) and the alleged high hiring fees and the all meet and greet nonsense make him a look a tiny bit mercenary?

I stopped after 'idea'. Heaven forfend the man should make a living, after all.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: