TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 19, 2024, 11:57:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RT Memoirs Due 2019  (Read 36732 times)
Yorkshire Chris
Did you have a Sloppy Guiseppe?

Loc: Yorkshire (who'd have guessed...!)

« Reply #60 on: August 10, 2021, 04:04:24 PM »

Currently reading RT's book, and just got to the part where he's describing Swarb's various requests to stop the van resulting in the band expression "piss/tea/antiques" and had a good loud laugh at that.

Jules

Laughed at this bit too...you can just hear Swarb's, no doubt less than polite, response to this...!
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #61 on: August 11, 2021, 05:22:03 PM »

I just read the book, and was happy to find that it was less 'vanilla' than I had feared from some comments, but did shed some new light on events, and provide some new insights into those years (such as the one above Grin).

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #62 on: November 28, 2021, 06:24:47 PM »

Late to the party on this, but picked up a copy at Rough Trade here in NYC a few weeks ago and read it in the past few days of holiday break. Agreed with what everyone else has said about wishing it were a 'Part 1'. I enjoyed reading about Richard's personal opinions of so many people but I found it interesting that some profiles were more elaborate and stretched out, such as Sandy, while others like Simon and Ashley seem to be less so. Maybe he felt uncomfortable diving deeper on people still around, but I found myself wanting more in that regard. Above it all, the thing I liked the most was the deeper explanations of his playing and approach. No surprise that there is so much to a solo than the notes themselves. There is the song structure, tempo, subject matter to contend with as well, and I absolutely loved hearing how Richard's brain works around all those factors. I'm certainly glad I bought this one.

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Col D

Loc: South Cheshire

« Reply #63 on: March 06, 2022, 01:40:47 PM »

For anyone who hasn't yet got themselves a copy Rough Trade have signed hardbacks for a very reasonable £10 atm.

https://www.roughtrade.com/gb/richard-thompson/beeswing-fairport-folk-rock-and-finding-my-voice-1967-75
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #64 on: March 06, 2022, 01:57:03 PM »

For anyone who hasn't yet got themselves a copy Rough Trade have signed hardbacks for a very reasonable £10 atm.

https://www.roughtrade.com/gb/richard-thompson/beeswing-fairport-folk-rock-and-finding-my-voice-1967-75

Caveat Emptor.  I'm afraid this is what a "signature" in a signed copy will look like....

* IMG_20220306_135409035.jpg (185.43 KB, 519x692 - viewed 530 times.)

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #65 on: March 07, 2022, 05:31:16 PM »

Looks like the offer has now ended. I managed to order a copy at half price yesterday. Thanks for the heads up.  Smiley

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: