TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 23, 2024, 06:24:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RT Memoirs Due 2019  (Read 36968 times)
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2021, 01:38:12 PM »

I have no idea or insight into any of this but doesn't this and the over-priced concert tickets (for one man and a guitar) and the alleged high hiring fees and the all meet and greet nonsense make him a look a tiny bit mercenary?

I stopped after 'idea'. Heaven forfend the man should make a living, after all.

There are a fair amount of people making money out of peripheral activities instead of music, right now. It's an understandable reaction to needing food on the table.

It's up to the customer if they want to pay to meet 'n' greet the "great", caveat emptor and all that.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
blagden
Money for
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: South God's Own Country

I am a rebel - whilst ever my wife will let me be!

« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2021, 04:32:49 PM »

I have no idea or insight into any of this but doesn't this and the over-priced concert tickets (for one man and a guitar) and the alleged high hiring fees and the all meet and greet nonsense make him a look a tiny bit mercenary?

There are a fair amount of people making money out of peripheral activities instead of music, right now. It's an understandable reaction to needing food on the table.

It's up to the customer if they want to pay to meet 'n' greet the "great", caveat emptor and all that.

Just my perseption but I won't be paying nearly £100 for two tickets to see him any time soon.
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2021, 07:07:06 PM »

Just my perseption but I won't be paying nearly £100 for two tickets to see him any time soon.

Apologies if this has been discussed before, but is RT under new management? He hasn't played a gig in Austin proper in 8 years, after two decades of regular visits. He played the Kerrville Folk Festival 2 years ago, but otherwise the closest he's come is San Antonio, when he was opening for Bonnie Raitt. It just seems as though he's completely changed his approach to touring the U.S., or at least the southwestern U.S.
Andy
Global Moderator

« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2021, 01:06:31 AM »

Apologies if this has been discussed before, but is RT under new management? He hasn't played a gig in Austin proper in 8 years, after two decades of regular visits. He played the Kerrville Folk Festival 2 years ago, but otherwise the closest he's come is San Antonio, when he was opening for Bonnie Raitt. It just seems as though he's completely changed his approach to touring the U.S., or at least the southwestern U.S.
I believe Nancy managed him, but when they split up, inevitably, that ceased. Although I think that was considerably less than 8 years ago.

Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #44 on: April 24, 2021, 10:11:14 PM »

Upon reflection, of course it looks expensive to shell out twenty pounds for a book, or twice that for an evening listening to him play, but you’re paying for fifty years of experience, craft and talent, not just one random human and a wooden box with strings on. Apologies for the intemperate rantette.  Smiley

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #45 on: April 27, 2021, 08:24:04 PM »

Nice comments by Patterson Hood on Facebook

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Shane (Skirky)
Global Moderator

« Reply #46 on: April 28, 2021, 08:31:11 AM »

Just finished RT reading the biog to me via Audible. Very good, but as has been stated previously, I'd have liked something a bit more in depth.
He's also mistaken in assuming that the only part of his career of interest is the fledgling years until 1975 with a brief epilogue. The solo years, his "Americanisation" touched on in Patrick Humphries' "Strange Affair" biography, the years spent becoming a cult favourite - every album he releases showered in critical plaudits but "bloody hell I'd like to have had a hit record too". The demise of his 2nd marriage, becoming a "living legend", his take on appearing at Cropredy, Peggy half-joking that they "can only afford him every 3 years" or when there's a 5 year anniversary, his duo work with Danny Thompson, etc. I'd have liked a career-spanning account of all these things and more.
I'd love to see a Part 2 or Part 3, there's still time. I'm aware that he's already dismissed the prospect, however. Shame...

Having finished it last night, I’m pretty much in agreement with this comment. It’s a bit like one of those well-heralded TV shows that get cancelled after one series, just as you’re past the origin story and looking forward to what happens next.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
StephenGiles
much grovelling in the attic

« Reply #47 on: May 01, 2021, 01:14:05 PM »

A definite for forthcoming birthday.

Have a listen here from 42:45 https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000vg03
Shane (Skirky)
Global Moderator

« Reply #48 on: May 06, 2021, 11:59:49 AM »

A splendidly lengthy discourse with Mr. Thompson, courtesy of Messrs Ellen and Hepworth, formerly of Word Magazine on the subject. https://youtu.be/KrWXOLDG238

Barry
barrY howarD
Global Moderator

Loc: Sidcup, Kent

The best and oldest furniture cannot be rearranged

« Reply #49 on: May 08, 2021, 05:14:28 PM »

After due consideration, I've just booked 3 tickets for The Palladium on 2 November.

Just because you believe something doesn't make it true.
jimc

« Reply #50 on: May 16, 2021, 03:34:48 PM »

It's not even in the book either - it's on a bookplate. I am looking forward to reading it though.

That's an interesting one. I don't doubt that economic practicality had a lot to do with it, but I have a published book (in a field quite remote from music) and I feel really uncomfortable about writing my name in the thing. Instead for the very few who have asked for it I've produced a custom bookplate and put a dedication on that, leaving it up to them whether they wish to leave it loose or stick it in place. Its purely an emotional thing, and I can apply no logic to it at all. Don't ask me to explain because I can't.
Andy
Global Moderator

« Reply #51 on: May 16, 2021, 05:25:19 PM »

It's even more difficult when the name of the author is a pseudonym.

John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #52 on: May 17, 2021, 02:20:56 AM »

Just finished RT reading the biog to me via Audible. Very good, but as has been stated previously, I'd have liked something a bit more in depth.
He's also mistaken in assuming that the only part of his career of interest is the fledgling years until 1975 with a brief epilogue. The solo years, his "Americanisation" touched on in Patrick Humphries' "Strange Affair" biography, the years spent becoming a cult favourite - every album he releases showered in critical plaudits but "bloody hell I'd like to have had a hit record too". The demise of his 2nd marriage, becoming a "living legend", his take on appearing at Cropredy, Peggy half-joking that they "can only afford him every 3 years" or when there's a 5 year anniversary, his duo work with Danny Thompson, etc. I'd have liked a career-spanning account of all these things and more.
I'd love to see a Part 2 or Part 3, there's still time. I'm aware that he's already dismissed the prospect, however. Shame...

Having finished it last night, I’m pretty much in agreement with this comment. It’s a bit like one of those well-heralded TV shows that get cancelled after one series, just as you’re past the origin story and looking forward to what happens next.

I have a theory (just a theory) that there's so much personal stuff in the era that he omitted from the book, involving so many people, that he just decided to end it where he did. The post script does not address personal issues or relationships, really at all, and summarizes the last 40+ years of his career with extreme brevity. (For the record, his explanation in one of his promotional interviews was that he didn't think the post-Fairport/R and L period was of particular interest to potential readers, and/or that he thought the book would become boring and repetitive if he brought his life current.)
Sue & Chris

« Reply #53 on: June 27, 2021, 11:25:34 AM »

Just finished this, and what struck me was how 'arms length' it is. Plenty of 'this happened, then that happened' but very little 'I felt' or 'I thought'. A shame, as the few moments where RT does open up a bit, or become more reflective, are amongst the most interesting in the book. Perhaps, given what we know of his personality, it was foolish too expect anything more.

Overall, I thought its was a diverting enough read although (this is heresy, I know) I found 'Fairport by Fairport' more interesting and engaging.
Peter Allen

« Reply #54 on: July 22, 2021, 11:57:00 AM »

Finally opened my copy , initialled by the man himself (!), I'm enjoying it but agree with most of the comments on here , he just seems a bit detached from whatever he's describing , maybe it was just so long ago , maybe we need Simon to write a book next , or maybe an online "A Conversation With" with ex members chipping in - Peggy could stay in France , Iain in Holland , RT in USA and all still contribute!

Is Iain's book a good read ?
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #55 on: July 22, 2021, 04:51:04 PM »

I found Iain's book very interesting, and very revealing of the man himself (more so than I am expecting of RT's book, which is still on my 'to read' pile, judging by comments here and elsewhere).  

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #56 on: July 22, 2021, 05:09:17 PM »

I found Iain's book very interesting, and very revealing of the man himself (more so than I am expecting of RT's book, which is still on my 'to read' pile, judging by comments here and elsewhere).  

I think it's important not to get too carried away with the critical comments about Richard's book (including my own).  It's still well worth reading, and there are some absolutely beautifully written passages in there (as one would expect - the man can write!), but there's just an arm's lengthness about it which stops it being quite as engaging as it could have been.....  I must get around to reading Iain's book.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #57 on: July 22, 2021, 11:54:40 PM »

there's just an arm's lengthness about it which stops it being quite as engaging as it could have been.....  

Of course, it might be an accurate reflection of Richard's own personality.  That same polite reservedness that, say, Pink Floyd often displayed.  (Before Roger went all out for blood anyway.)

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Jamie73
Wine over Jane Birkin

« Reply #58 on: July 23, 2021, 09:05:08 AM »

I think it's important not to get too carried away with the critical comments about Richard's book (including my own).  It's still well worth reading, and there are some absolutely beautifully written passages in there (as one would expect - the man can write!), but there's just an arm's lengthness about it which stops it being quite as engaging as it could have been.....  I must get around to reading Iain's book.

Iain's book is very good. An honest and very personal reflection of his life and career.

Changing the subject, I've just read from start to finish the terrific new biography of Nico: You Are Beautiful & You Are Alone. Joe Boyd one of the interviewees too.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #59 on: August 06, 2021, 03:48:36 PM »

Currently reading RT's book, and just got to the part where he's describing Swarb's various requests to stop the van resulting in the band expression "piss/tea/antiques" and had a good loud laugh at that.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: