TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 01:26:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cropredy remaining turns  (Read 62480 times)
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #80 on: March 14, 2018, 07:54:24 AM »

How about a rap act?

As Peggy's currently in hip-op mode...  Roll Eyes

(I hope his procedure is going/has gone well!)  Smiley

Flobbadob!
Tony Mc

Loc: Funky Fareham

« Reply #81 on: March 14, 2018, 07:58:11 AM »

DreadZone! Had a poor slot last time at Cropredy. They need an evening to get everyone buzzing.

Strangers stopping strangers just to shake their hand.
StephenB
something about the grinding beat
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Blackpudlian exiled in Ireland

An Sasanach is fearr in Eirinn

« Reply #82 on: March 14, 2018, 08:59:11 AM »

So if someone does badly one year playing down the bill, invite  them back to see if they'll do better higher up the bill? With respect I see some flaws in your strategy...

One boxing match - what's that? A bout?
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #83 on: March 14, 2018, 09:06:35 AM »

So if someone does badly one year playing down the bill, invite  them back to see if they'll do better higher up the bill? With respect I see some flaws in your strategy...

They were absolutely outstanding the first time they played (2009?).  The crowd was buzzing.  What happened last time, then?

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Tasha
shocking in parts but very good
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Shropshire

« Reply #84 on: March 14, 2018, 09:20:41 AM »

They were absolutely outstanding the first time they played (2009?).  The crowd was buzzing.  What happened last time, then?

I was about to ask exactly the same.. they were great!

They broke my heart and they killed me, but I didn't die. They tried to bury me, they didn't realise I was a seed.
Tony Mc

« Reply #85 on: March 14, 2018, 09:23:05 AM »

They didn't do badly. They had an afternoon slot where the crowd were wandering around, getting food etc. I think Dread Zone had another gig later to get to. I meant their time slot was all wrong for them. They need an evening slot. They know how to get the crowd going, and even those who are not familiar with them cant resist the beat!

Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #86 on: March 14, 2018, 09:46:51 AM »

RT & Electric Trio are in the area....I know *he* said he'd only play every 5 years, but maybe he's changed his mind?.....

The reason he's not yet announced - because he's playing (again, this time as a trio) Gawsworth Hall on the Wednesday before (8th) - £32.50 is good value, I think - BUT they have contracted him not to announce any other date that week within x miles until Gawsworth have sold their tickets which have only just gone on sale - so maybe an announcement at the middle of April/start of May? I personally think that's quite a likely scenario.

https://www.gawsworthhall.com/product/rt/

Field 7 is Heaven (Trev)
Field 7 deserter

Loc: Gogledd Cymru

I know where my towel is

« Reply #87 on: March 14, 2018, 09:47:36 AM »

I usually don't like that sort of thing ,the sun was shining and Id had a beer or two . I was content to lie on the rug and let the music waft over.

By the end of the first number I was in the pit disgracing myself with what an obese 60 something hopes to call dancing.

THEY WERE BRILLIANT.

i spent the rest of the weekend shouting "Ahoy" to everyone after one of the songs.
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #88 on: March 14, 2018, 09:50:13 AM »

RT & Electric Trio are in the area....I know *he* said he'd only play every 5 years, but maybe he's changed his mind?.....

The reason he's not yet announced - because he's playing (again, this time as a trio) Gawsworth Hall on the Wednesday before (8th) - £32.50 is good value, I think - BUT they have contracted him not to announce any other date that week within x miles until Gawsworth have sold their tickets which have only just gone on sale - so maybe an announcement at the middle of April/start of May? I personally think that's quite a likely scenario.

https://www.gawsworthhall.com/product/rt/

Not a WOW headliner though surely?
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #89 on: March 14, 2018, 09:51:47 AM »

It doesn't need to be.....he's big enough.

Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #90 on: March 14, 2018, 10:33:38 AM »

Dreadzone were great the first time, but when I bought a live album of theirs, Live at Sunrise I was disappointed to hear exactly the same set. Bit of a one-trick pony, I thought.

A bit like seeing the Reduced Shakespeare Company for the second time, when you realise all the "ad-libs" are carefully scripted.

Also, in the five years between their Cropredy appearances, their personnel changed somewhat. As with Hayseed Dixie, the replacements didn't live up to their predecessors. IMHO, of course.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #91 on: March 14, 2018, 10:56:39 AM »

It doesn't need to be.....he's big enough.

But a WOW has been promised
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #92 on: March 14, 2018, 11:15:39 AM »

If we're going to speculate wildly, Beck's 2016 single was Wow.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Tony Mc

« Reply #93 on: March 14, 2018, 11:21:53 AM »

Dreadzone were great the first time, but when I bought a live album of theirs, Live at Sunrise I was disappointed to hear exactly the same set. Bit of a one-trick pony, I thought.

A bit like seeing the Reduced Shakespeare Company for the second time, when you realise all the "ad-libs" are carefully scripted.

Also, in the five years between their Cropredy appearances, their personnel changed somewhat. As with Hayseed Dixie, the replacements didn't live up to their predecessors. IMHO, of course.

Its a shame when a good act lets you down on a repeat performance. Pearce Brothers second time around didn't do it for me, even though I was looking forward to them. Same set, same mock humility. Wore a bit thin!

Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #94 on: March 14, 2018, 01:30:29 PM »

Its a shame when a good act lets you down on a repeat performance. Pearce Brothers second time around didn't do it for me, even though I was looking forward to them. Same set, same mock humility. Wore a bit thin!
[/quote]

Absolutely! Pearce Bros were excellent first time, second time not so much

Born to Run (but not very fast)
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #95 on: March 14, 2018, 01:52:09 PM »

[/quote]

Don’t know about the Pearce Brothers, but the Pierce Brothers did it for me both times...  Grin Grin Grin Grin

My humble opinion of course!

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #96 on: March 14, 2018, 03:01:21 PM »

Don’t know about the Pearce Brothers, but the Pierce Brothers did it for me both times...  Grin Grin Grin Grin

My humble opinion of course!
[/quote]

Okay so I can’t spell  Shocked

Born to Run (but not very fast)
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #97 on: March 14, 2018, 03:08:15 PM »

DreadZone! Had a poor slot last time at Cropredy. They need an evening to get everyone buzzing.

On their previous visit they played in the late afternoon, if I remember correctly, and they were great

The Dude abides
Addie
Fizzy beef juice?
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Walsall

Unspoilt By Progress

« Reply #98 on: March 14, 2018, 07:15:37 PM »

The line up was exactly the same. Spee, Leo, Greg and Chris. Not sure who was on the PC/DJ duties for 2015 but the rest was the same band.

Sidling out of stores gingerly and embracing margins since 2008
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #99 on: March 14, 2018, 08:45:00 PM »

The line up was exactly the same. Spee, Leo, Greg and Chris. Not sure who was on the PC/DJ duties for 2015 but the rest was the same band.

I was thinking there'd been barely any changes too...In 2012, "James 'Bazil' Bainbridge joined the group replacing Chris Oldfield though"... that's the only one I can find online.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: