TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 05:09:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 103   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recent gigs  (Read 803479 times)
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #1400 on: July 29, 2020, 12:43:05 PM »

I wasn't at this gig but thought it worth posting this from the Beeb website -

Folk rocker Frank Turner played one of the UK's first gigs with a socially-distanced audience at London's Clapham Grand last night. Performing live for the first time in more than four months made for a "strange, emotional evening", the singer said.

But with just 200 people able to attend the 1,250 capacity venue, manager Ally Wolf said it did not make enough money to cover the operating costs, even before paying a fee to the performer.

"It can't be the future for live music, it can't be the future for venues," he said.

The venue had to be reconfigured, with temperature checks on the door, tables and seats brought in and drinks ordered to the table.

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #1401 on: July 30, 2020, 09:58:00 AM »

I don’t know what the solution is to this. Beverley Knight did a gig 2 weeks ago in similar circumstances & the promoter said the same - without the numbers the gigs simply aren’t viable.

I’m pinning my hopes on a vaccine. The future is going to be a strange place  Undecided

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #1402 on: July 30, 2020, 10:18:54 AM »

I don’t know what the solution is to this. Beverley Knight did a gig 2 weeks ago in similar circumstances & the promoter said the same - without the numbers the gigs simply aren’t viable.

I’m pinning my hopes on a vaccine. The future is going to be a strange place  Undecided

It's a pretty weird place in the present, isn't it ?
I would like to respectfully suggest to every one, to look into all aspects of a vaccine, from all points of view.
Look for whatever facts you can find..there's lots of opinions..facts are more essential with this situation than ever.
I hope everybody is doing well.
This is off topic so I'll leave it there.

Well I never did..
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #1403 on: July 30, 2020, 11:05:30 AM »

Have you seen this clip of  Flaming Lips doing a concert where everyone on stage and all of the audience are inside an individual plastic bubble?
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=flaming+lips+bubble+concert&docid=608023002402326502&mid=EFDF5C5B9B15D2616319EFDF5C5B9B15D2616319&view=detail&FORM=VIRE

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #1404 on: July 30, 2020, 12:27:14 PM »

Excellent !

Flobbadob!
MarkV
sit on a perch and prepare a roach
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Quality control has failed to sift me out.

« Reply #1405 on: July 30, 2020, 02:11:37 PM »

The West End Centre in Aldershot is going to reopen to live music, but the artists will all be local new/up and coming.  Where they would have had 180 for a standing event, they will likely only have a max of 48 or so sat around tables/ spaced chairs.  They are also doing live stream things too and thinking about some outdoor gigs as well .  Early days but hopeful.  

O to 62 in sixtytwo years.  Where does the time go?
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #1406 on: July 30, 2020, 04:59:23 PM »

The West End Centre in Aldershot is going to reopen to live music, but the artists will all be local new/up and coming.  Where they would have had 180 for a standing event, they will likely only have a max of 48 or so sat around tables/ spaced chairs.  They are also doing live stream things too and thinking about some outdoor gigs as well .  Early days but hopeful.  

Apparently Frank Turner did a trial gig at the Clapham Grand this week but was deemed unsuccessful. This was because only 200 people could attend sitting around tables when normally 1250 turn up for a standing gig. So venue lost money even though Frank was playing for nothing. Cannot see this as being the answer  Embarrassed

Born to Run (but not very fast)
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #1407 on: July 30, 2020, 05:17:33 PM »

I was in Barry town centre this morning and there was a bloke busking, complete with microphone and amplified guitar.  It was nice to hear some live music in the street, but I thought this was not allowed at the moment (unless I've missed something.)

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #1408 on: July 30, 2020, 06:28:16 PM »

I was in Barry town centre this morning and there was a bloke busking, complete with microphone and amplified guitar.  It was nice to hear some live music in the street, but I thought this was not allowed at the moment (unless I've missed something.)

It's certainly permitted in England (since early June).  Not sure about Wales.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #1409 on: July 30, 2020, 07:37:57 PM »

Permitted in England, unless he/she is playing anything by Oasis or Ed Sheeran. Or Stairway to Heaven.  Wink

Flobbadob!
Paul
I've Got A Bike
Global Moderator

Loc: Hampshire

I was a fair young curate then.

« Reply #1410 on: July 30, 2020, 10:40:38 PM »

I think it is OK as long as you distance. Our friend Archie has been busking outside old people's homes to cheer up the residents.

Paul

Adam
I'm looking at you, Cool Cat!
Folkcorp Guru

I'm a llama!

« Reply #1411 on: August 07, 2020, 07:50:10 PM »

Live message - forgive me for any spelling mistakes as I’m a bit tiddly. First live gig since February, and it’s fabulous - Show of Hands drive in gig at Victoria Country Park, Southampton. It’s really well set up, with 150 cars, and designated area to the left of your car for chairs, picnics, etc (I’m not the driver, hence a few glasses of wine in the sunshine). Really good local singer (Johnny Moody) on stage at the moment, and it feels almost like a festival.  I’m really going to miss Cropredy this year, but this is a good way to still get that festival vibe (ish). Show of Hands soon, which will round off a really fun evening.
Kevin M
Seems reasonable to me

Loc: Solihull

« Reply #1412 on: September 07, 2020, 09:58:38 AM »

First real live gig since March on Saturday. Ian Prowse in a marquee in Rainford. Great show, whole place was almost ecstatic that live music was back, even if in slightly restrained conditions. All in all, the social distancing worked, so hopefully more of these type events will start to appear. Big well done to venue and artist for making this happen.
spooley (Simon)

« Reply #1413 on: September 07, 2020, 06:05:13 PM »

Me too for the first gig since March ... Jamie & the Falcons (Jamie Moses, Spike Edney, Steve Stroud and Jamie Little) in the garden of the Kings Arms, All Cannings, Wiltshire (home to the excellent http://concertatkings.co.uk mini-festival in past years).

50 tables, each accommodating up to 6 people, well spaced in front of a small covered stage with a garden-sized PA.
Excellent beers from a garden tent (we settled on Wadworths Horizon) and good snacks from a local event catering stall.

The Falcons, all great musicians with a fantastic pedigree of performing with top-rank bands, play mainly rock/pop/soul covers very well.
They were all obviously having a great time back playing before a live audience, and the afternoon went by far too quickly.

Still a few gigs left in the "Summer at the Kings" weekend events over the next couple of weekends, sadly I missed out on Sweet (local favourites - Andy Scott lives in the village - and those tickets were sold out before I'd read to the end of the initial email promoting the event!).
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #1414 on: October 11, 2020, 10:48:17 PM »

First gig since February tonight. Gerry Colvin with Marion and Lyndon. Absolutely fabulous. Want more.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1415 on: October 12, 2020, 06:44:20 AM »

A virtual attending of a real gig at the Barbican on Saturday night - Erland Cooper.  'Twas very special indeed.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
DarrenWilliams

Loc: St Helens

« Reply #1416 on: October 12, 2020, 11:42:40 AM »

A virtual attending of a real gig at the Barbican on Saturday night - Erland Cooper.  'Twas very special indeed.

I've not heard much of his recent solo work, but I am familiar with Erland and The Carnival and The Magnetic North. Did this gig concentrate on the former?
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1417 on: October 12, 2020, 12:13:10 PM »

I've not heard much of his recent solo work, but I am familiar with Erland and The Carnival and The Magnetic North. Did this gig concentrate on the former?

Yep - it concentrated entirely on the wonderful trilogy of solo albums* 'about' Orkney which he has released in the last few years since TMN.  I've seen him 4 times (including this performance) since 2017, and this music soothes my soul like very little else.  Truly wonderful stuff.

2018: Solan Goose
2019: Sule Skerry
2020: Hether Blether

DarrenWilliams

Loc: St Helens

« Reply #1418 on: October 12, 2020, 12:57:19 PM »

Yep - it concentrated entirely on the wonderful trilogy of solo albums* 'about' Orkney which he has released in the last few years since TMN.  I've seen him 4 times (including this performance) since 2017, and this music soothes my soul like very little else.  Truly wonderful stuff.

2018: Solan Goose
2019: Sule Skerry
2020: Hether Blether

I need a concerted effort to check these out, thanks.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1419 on: October 23, 2020, 05:03:21 PM »

Just watched a great instore with This is the Kit's Kate Stables from a record shop in Paris.  Bloody marvellous - that woman is something very special indeed.

Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 103   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: