TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 02:10:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 103   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recent gigs  (Read 803423 times)
Peter Allen

« Reply #1160 on: June 25, 2019, 11:14:40 AM »

I reckon you and I went to the same gigs and bought the same records back in the day!

I wouldn't be so sure.  I was exposed to Buzzcocks via my big brother.  I only bought my own copies relatively recently.  And as for gigs - I didn't get out much.  Still don't, truth be told.

Jules

Aah OK...I was buying those records first time around back in the 1970s when I was 17 or 18...now I’m starting to feel very old  Shocked

Me too , I don't remember any of the albums being bought , apart from 2 unofficial ones "Times Up" and "Razorcuts" but that run of singles from Spiral to You Say You Don't Love Me was something to treasure at the time. Plus TOTP appearances! Pete's songs summed up what we were experiencing in relationships as 16 to 18 year olds , in a way Genesis and Floyd (and to be fair nor the more political Pistols or Clash) didn't .My love of double cutaway Les Paul's stems from the Buzzcocks too.
Peter
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #1161 on: June 25, 2019, 01:37:38 PM »

My love of double cutaway Les Paul's stems from the Buzzcocks too.

Pete's guitar for most of his Buzzcocks time was actually a Gordon Smith.  It's no coincidence that I also own a Gordon Smith.  In fact, here it is...

Jules

* GS1.5.jpg (150.43 KB, 650x300 - viewed 748 times.)

Now be thankful for good things below
Peter Allen

« Reply #1162 on: June 25, 2019, 02:33:46 PM »

My love of double cutaway Les Paul's stems from the Buzzcocks too.

Pete's guitar for most of his Buzzcocks time was actually a Gordon Smith.  It's no coincidence that I also own a Gordon Smith.  In fact, here it is...

Jules

Jules ,Great looking GS 1.5 ? (or Gs2?)  I'd be proud but scared  to own a beast like that , please take care of it !
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1163 on: June 25, 2019, 05:15:13 PM »

Great looking GS 1.5? (or GS2?)  I'd be proud but scared to own a beast like that please take care of it!

It's a GS1.5.  It's a workhorse.  It's owning the Rickenbacker 12-string that gives me the collywobbles!

Jules

John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #1164 on: June 25, 2019, 08:42:01 PM »

The Eagles at Wembley. Had been a little apprehensive as concerned they may have been a bit too slick but needn’t have worried. A great evening with fabulous harmonies, fine guitar playing and all those wonderful songs. Not simply a case of replicating the records either. Joe Walsh on fine form especially a storming Rocky Mountain Way. No Glenn Frey could have been a problem but they have replaced him with his son, who sounds very like him, and Vince Gill - never heard him before, but a fine singer.

Sheryl Crow an excellent support. Again, had not really heard much before but will in the future.

A lot spoken recently about sound in stadium gigs. From where we were sat, there was no problem and sound was good throughout, including for the support.

Pound for pound, the Eagles have the best sound in the business.  I'm glad they're still out there, although I'm still grappling with Glenn Frey's absence.  I wish they had extended an offer to Bernie Leadon to rejoin permanently after Glenn died.  His participation in the History of the Eagles tour made it unique and special, and his guitar skills are undiminished (although Vince Gill is no slouch in that department, either).  I know Don Felder would not be invited back under any circumstances, unfortunately.  I met him at a preshow meet-and-greet a few years ago, and he was a delightful and modest guy.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1165 on: June 25, 2019, 10:22:43 PM »

Pound for pound, the Eagles have the best sound in the business.  

That'll be because of all the pound-for-pounds they've shamelessly charged their beleaguered punters over the years.

Jules

Paul
I've Got A Bike
Global Moderator

Loc: Hampshire

I was a fair young curate then.

« Reply #1166 on: June 25, 2019, 10:28:59 PM »

Billy Joel at Wembley. No support, he played for 2 1/2 hours with no break. Loads of hits, although missed my favourite Goodnight Saigon. He did say to someone at the front "that one's too sad" so I guessed they asked for it. we didn't start the fire was amazing. He really is very talented.

Paul

John From Austin
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #1167 on: June 25, 2019, 10:52:04 PM »

Pound for pound, the Eagles have the best sound in the business.  

That'll be because of all the pound-for-pounds they've shamelessly charged their beleaguered punters over the years.

Jules

That's why I skipped their most recent Texas show. Sticker shock - Rolling Stones prices.
John From Austin
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #1168 on: June 25, 2019, 10:55:10 PM »

Billy Joel at Wembley. No support, he played for 2 1/2 hours with no break. Loads of hits, although missed my favourite Goodnight Saigon. He did say to someone at the front "that one's too sad" so I guessed they asked for it. we didn't start the fire was amazing. He really is very talented.

Paul

Yay! I have tickets to see him at the Globe Life Park in Arlington, Texas this coming October.  It will be my fifth Billy Joel concert since 1987, and he has never disappointed.  My second was a 2009 joint show with Elton John, which was unforgettable.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1169 on: June 25, 2019, 11:27:00 PM »

That's why I skipped their most recent Texas show. Sticker shock - Rolling Stones prices.

It's the other way around - The Rolling Stones started charging Eagles prices.  Eagles started the crazy ticket price thing.

I now have to look up "sticker shock"...

Jules

John From Austin
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #1170 on: June 26, 2019, 02:09:26 AM »

It's the other way around - The Rolling Stones started charging Eagles prices.  Eagles started the crazy ticket price thing.

I now have to look up "sticker shock"...

Jules

The Walden Woods ain't gonna save themselves...  Smiley

...and I didn't know "sticker shock" was an American-ism.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1171 on: June 26, 2019, 09:54:40 AM »

The Walden Woods ain't gonna save themselves...  Smiley

...and I didn't know "sticker shock" was an American-ism.

Yes, it is.

I now have to look up "Walden Woods"...

Jules

Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #1172 on: June 26, 2019, 11:53:02 AM »

Paul

He's currently no 2 on my Gig Bucket list!

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #1173 on: June 26, 2019, 03:49:55 PM »

Paul

I only saw him once and he was excellent despite touring in support of my least favourite of his albums (The Bridge). I'd love to see him again but would not want to do a stadium so it seems unlikely that the chance will arise.
Paul
I've Got A Bike
Global Moderator

« Reply #1174 on: June 26, 2019, 10:06:05 PM »

Paul

Unfortunately he only did the one gig this year here. The guys next to us had flown from Sweden to see him.

Bonus was, I found some craft beer on a pop up stall in Wembley. Camden Ales.

Paul

Tasha
shocking in parts but very good
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Shropshire

« Reply #1175 on: June 27, 2019, 01:23:42 PM »

Paul

unfortunately since early 2016  Camden ales, no longer a small craft beer.... owned by Anheuser-Busch InBev SA/NV  The large multinational drink and brewing holdings company based in Leuven, Belgium. Not quite the same as it used to be.... Undecided Annoys me that they still try to project the small brewery image!

They broke my heart and they killed me, but I didn't die. They tried to bury me, they didn't realise I was a seed.
Paul
I've Got A Bike
Global Moderator

« Reply #1176 on: June 27, 2019, 10:31:59 PM »

Paul

unfortunately since early 2016  Camden ales, no longer a small craft beer.... owned by Anheuser-Busch InBev SA/NV  The large multinational drink and brewing holdings company based in Leuven, Belgium. Not quite the same as it used to be.... Undecided Annoys me that they still try to project the small brewery image!

That's a shame. It was better than anything else available in the stadium though, but at over six quid a pint, it should have been.

Just as well there wasn't an interval. I couldn't afford another one.

Paul

Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #1177 on: June 27, 2019, 10:59:18 PM »

Paul

Unfortunately he only did the one gig this year here. The guys next to us had flown from Sweden to see him.

Paul

Nice!
I’ll wait for 2021 and my next “significant” birthday

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Paul
I've Got A Bike
Global Moderator

« Reply #1178 on: June 28, 2019, 11:03:20 PM »

Paul

Paul

Nice!
I’ll wait for 2021 and my next “significant” birthday

It was my wife's significant birthday.  Smiley

Paul

Phil Perry
sufficiently persuaded

Loc: Hertfordshire

« Reply #1179 on: June 30, 2019, 12:34:38 PM »

Excellent evening with Joshua Burnell Band at Royston FC on Friday. Definitely one for those of us who like the more subtle end of folk-rock...no thrash here! Very highly recommended.
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 103   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: