TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 02:11:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 103   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recent gigs  (Read 803424 times)
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #780 on: October 30, 2018, 11:44:47 PM »

Well that was just joyous.  Smiley

David Byrne at the Brighton Centre. On a day when I was not feeling especially joyous I have just grinned solidly through two hours of this show. A feast for the eyes, ears and brain. As innovative and astounding as the Stop Making Sense shows. If you are a fan of Byrne or Talking Heads at all, I urge you to get to one of these performances if you can. You will be uplifted.

I hope the tour is being filmed for some sort of commercial release down the line. It deserves to be preserved. It is very special. Gig of the year. One of the great gigs of all time. You could see that David was having a blast, the audience even more so. Perfect. And Slippery People was just sublime.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #781 on: October 30, 2018, 11:46:23 PM »

Wow.  I want to see what you saw now, Gub.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #782 on: October 31, 2018, 03:41:00 PM »

David Byrne at the Brighton Centre. On a day when I was not feeling especially joyous I have just grinned solidly through two hours of this show. A feast for the eyes, ears and brain. As innovative and astounding as the Stop Making Sense shows. If you are a fan of Byrne or Talking Heads at all, I urge you to get to one of these performances if you can. You will be uplifted.

I hope the tour is being filmed for some sort of commercial release down the line. It deserves to be preserved. It is very special. Gig of the year. One of the great gigs of all time. You could see that David was having a blast, the audience even more so. Perfect. And Slippery People was just sublime.

I dance like this
Because it feels so damn good
If I could dance better
Well, you know that I would
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #783 on: October 31, 2018, 08:08:44 PM »

Wow.  I want to see what you saw now, Gub.

Jules

You really should if you can but the UK leg of the tour is nearly over. I would go again in a heartbeat.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #784 on: October 31, 2018, 08:29:59 PM »

You really should if you can but the UK leg of the tour is nearly over. I would go again in a heartbeat.

No disposable cash anyway.  I'd settle for watching it on the laptop or the telly.

Jules

GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #785 on: October 31, 2018, 10:43:45 PM »

No disposable cash anyway.  I'd settle for watching it on the laptop or the telly.

Jules

Hopefully that will be an option at some point, though it was quite an immersive experience I hope the atmosphere comes across on any eventual release, It doesn really on any of the existing YouTube videos because they all focus on Byrne and you need to be able to see the whole stage to get the most from it.
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #786 on: November 02, 2018, 07:24:47 AM »

I went to see my nephew's band, The Good Water, play as support to Canadian band The Sheepdogs at The Globe in Cardiff, last night. Tom's band were excellent (although I am a little biased!) They play what I would call 'psychedelic pop' for want of a better description. The Sheepdogs, who I had never heard before, were pretty darn good, too. They play a sort of country blues - very 1970s - and gave us some fantastic playing and great harmonies. I'd go to see them again for sure. And just when you thought you couldn't be surprised anymore, the keyboard player picks up a trombone  and plays that in a couple of numbers. Great night all round.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #787 on: November 02, 2018, 07:34:13 AM »

TC&I, Swindon Arts Centre.

One of the best gigs of my life.  A huge amount of love and respect in the room...Colin still has the voice, and the amazing bass playing, and Terry hits the drums harder than anyone I've ever seen playing live.  The rest of the band, especially guitarist Steve Tilling were outstanding.

The new stuff stood up more than well...and the old stuff sounded majestic.  G&M, Nigel etc all fantastic, of course, but the highlight for me?  Bungalow.  Tears in my eyes stuff.  Just brilliant.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #788 on: November 02, 2018, 11:25:03 AM »

One of the best gigs of my life.  A huge amount of love and respect in the room...Colin still has the voice, and the amazing bass playing, and Terry hits the drums harder than anyone I've ever seen playing live.  The rest of the band, especially guitarist Steve Tilling were outstanding.

The new stuff stood up more than well...and the old stuff sounded majestic.  G&M, Nigel etc all fantastic, of course, but the highlight for me?  Bungalow.  Tears in my eyes stuff.  Just brilliant.

Do they do Sacrificial Bonfire?

Jules

Albie
or tea, if that is your cup of tea
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #789 on: November 02, 2018, 09:34:05 PM »

I went to see my nephew's band, The Good Water,

I saw them about three months ago and enjoyed them.
jimc

« Reply #790 on: November 04, 2018, 12:25:49 AM »

Thompson at Woking this/last night. Never seen him play so much extended guitar work.  First class. 'Tale in Hard Time' resurrected from the first Island Album was a treat. Super versions of Wall of Death and Tear Stained Letter with Zak Hobbs on 2nd lead guitar. He's come on a lot since I saw him at Thompson Family Christmas a few years back.
Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #791 on: November 04, 2018, 08:23:25 AM »

Thompson at Woking this/last night. Never seen him play so much extended guitar work.  First class. 'Tale in Hard Time' resurrected from the first Island Album was a treat. Super versions of Wall of Death and Tear Stained Letter with Zak Hobbs on 2nd lead guitar. He's come on a lot since I saw him at Thompson Family Christmas a few years back.

RT was indeed truly excellent in Woking last night. His powers are undiminished, and he still shreds with the intensity of someone less than half his age. Some interesting choices in the setlist too.
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #792 on: November 04, 2018, 08:26:05 AM »

Tremendous gig last night at Witham by Andy Fairweather Low & The Low Riders. Superb sound from Andy and his 6 piece band (including sax and trumpet musicians. If you like great guitar players, you should take the opportunity to see this ma. Fully recommend it. He’s extremely nice too as I spoke to him after the gig and got him to sign a CD  Smiley

Born to Run (but not very fast)
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #793 on: November 04, 2018, 05:45:49 PM »

Do they do Sacrificial Bonfire?

Jules

This was the setlist for the first night.  I think it was identical on Thursday... https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/tcandi/2018/swindon-arts-centre-swindon-england-1b96052c.html

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #794 on: November 04, 2018, 06:06:38 PM »

This was the setlist for the first night.  I think it was identical on Thursday... https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/tcandi/2018/swindon-arts-centre-swindon-england-1b96052c.html

Fab.  Love that song.

Jules

Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #795 on: November 05, 2018, 10:11:30 AM »

Tremendous gig last night at Witham by Andy Fairweather Low & The Low Riders. Superb sound from Andy and his 6 piece band (including sax and trumpet musicians. If you like great guitar players, you should take the opportunity to see this ma. Fully recommend it. He’s extremely nice too as I spoke to him after the gig and got him to sign a CD  Smiley
Ystrad Mynych boy done good!

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Shankly (Peter)
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Liverpool, England

« Reply #796 on: November 05, 2018, 01:21:42 PM »

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get to one of these shows, but I did watch one on Youtube and it looked absolutely sensational. Quite unlike anything I've seen before.
Glen S
and I do love a bit of Macca whimsy

Loc: Oxford

« Reply #797 on: November 05, 2018, 02:57:07 PM »

Everything that David said...It was a terrific evening...and I also shed a little tear... Cry

The biggest surprise of the evening though was Terry Chambers...Good grief !...He still attacks those drums with the same power and precision as he did 36 years ago...I was really not expecting that... Cool

It would be nice if this was a regular thing, and the Arts Centre is a smashing little venue...Colin seemed very relaxed, in great voice and really enjoying himself...Listening to recent interviews though I do get the impression that he's a reluctant performer, much happier writing and recording, so I wouldn't hold my breath for any sort of tour...But who knows ?
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 03:16:12 PM by Glen S » Logged
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #798 on: November 06, 2018, 06:42:15 AM »

Everything that David said...It was a terrific evening...and I also shed a little tear... Cry

The biggest surprise of the evening though was Terry Chambers...Good grief !...He still attacks those drums with the same power and precision as he did 36 years ago...I was really not expecting that... Cool

It would be nice if this was a regular thing, and the Arts Centre is a smashing little venue...Colin seemed very relaxed, in great voice and really enjoying himself...Listening to recent interviews though I do get the impression that he's a reluctant performer, much happier writing and recording, so I wouldn't hold my breath for any sort of tour...But who knows ?

There's a live review of the first night here https://louderthanwar.com/tci-swindon-arts-centre-live-review/?fbclid=IwAR3Qw4Mp0r6Az2HzMXMRyeSZ33rb6m6XZVLij0H_krlUP5X0FtiqQIJ8hhk#.W9_6rvhceC0.twitter

John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #799 on: November 06, 2018, 04:37:34 PM »

Lindsey Buckingham/J.S. Ondara, Paramount Theater, Austin, Texas, last night!

J.S. Ondara is a Kenyan-born, Minnesota-raised folk singer and guitarist. As he put it, Lindsey sent him out to "depress" the audience with sad folk songs, so Lindsey could make us happy again.  He was very good and I'll be keeping an eye on him.

Lindsey was charismatic as ever, holding center stage for two hours with a mix of new songs, LB solo catalog tunes, and about 8% Fleetwood Mac songs for the casual fan.  He announced a forthcoming Warner Brothers anthology of his solo recordings, and a new album for release in the near future.  He said this is a "new beginning" for him, which is really cool when you think about it.  VIP photo to be posted upon receipt.

Bonus - Ten minutes ago he walked past me on Congress Avenue, and nodded politely in my direction when I said "Great show last night, brother!"
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 103   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: