TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 24, 2024, 02:20:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 104   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recent gigs  (Read 816343 times)
PJayBe

« Reply #1640 on: May 31, 2022, 07:38:39 PM »

John Mclaughlin and 4th Dimension last night in Manchester... Superb. Age does not appear to affect John. Star for me was bass guitarist Etienne Mbappe, who was jaw-droppingly good, though drummer Ranjit Barot and keyboardist (and occasional 2nd drummer) Gary Husband were pretty damn fine, too.

Twas a stonking night indeed.
David V B
Order from the other side of the living room

« Reply #1641 on: June 03, 2022, 01:38:52 AM »

Jubilation Festival at Brockwell Park, Brixton. Supergrass were alright (pun intended). Squeeze were great, all the hits you wanted to hear and on fine form. Madness were brilliant, as good as I have ever heard them. So good to be in a festival crowd again with a real party atmosphere.
Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1642 on: June 06, 2022, 02:12:22 PM »

A spontaneous trip to the O2 to see Queen + Adam Lambert last night.

I'm well aware that Mr Lambert's take on the Queen catalogue is an acquired taste, but the set was well-paced and beautifully played. High points included Under Pressure, Who Wants To Live Forever, The Show Must Go On, and These Are The Days Of Our Lives sung with cracked emotion by Roger, who also gave us a spirited I'm In Love With My Car from behind the traps. And Brian played beautifully all night.

As I've said, Q+AL aren't for everyone, but in terms of sheer bang for your buck entertainment and joy, that'll be one of the best concerts I'll have seen this year.
PJayBe

« Reply #1643 on: June 12, 2022, 04:01:50 PM »

The amazing Joshua Burnell and his band in Pocklington last night.  Less folk-rock and more folk-prog at times, a superb evening.
Phil Perry
sufficiently persuaded

Loc: Hertfordshire

« Reply #1644 on: June 13, 2022, 04:45:31 PM »

Yup, I'm a big fan of Joshua and his band ... not many folk performers can get away with what might be called good old-fashioned showmanship ... but Josh can deliver that superbly  Smiley
Paul
I've Got A Bike
Global Moderator

Loc: Hampshire

I was a fair young curate then.

« Reply #1645 on: June 14, 2022, 08:33:52 PM »

A spontaneous trip to the O2 to see Queen + Adam Lambert last night.

I'm well aware that Mr Lambert's take on the Queen catalogue is an acquired taste, but the set was well-paced and beautifully played. High points included Under Pressure, Who Wants To Live Forever, The Show Must Go On, and These Are The Days Of Our Lives sung with cracked emotion by Roger, who also gave us a spirited I'm In Love With My Car from behind the traps. And Brian played beautifully all night.

As I've said, Q+AL aren't for everyone, but in terms of sheer bang for your buck entertainment and joy, that'll be one of the best concerts I'll have seen this year.

I saw it a few days later, and agree with everything Dan said. I thought it was an amazing show, with a few tears.

Amazed at Brian's stamina, he hardly left the stage all night, and there was no interval.

Paul

PJayBe

« Reply #1646 on: June 15, 2022, 04:52:33 PM »

Tonight it's the as-seen-at-Cropredy Cats in Space at the wonderful waterloo Music Bar in Blackpool!!!!
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #1647 on: June 15, 2022, 09:30:36 PM »

Tonight it's the as-seen-at-Cropredy Cats in Space at the wonderful waterloo Music Bar in Blackpool!!!!
I believe they have a new singer but they still rock!

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
PJayBe

« Reply #1648 on: June 16, 2022, 05:24:05 PM »

I believe they have a new singer but they still rock!

Still amazing.
garrypbrooks

« Reply #1649 on: June 17, 2022, 07:32:18 AM »

Saw a really good gig last week, "The Copper Viper Roadshow" at St Edith's folk club in Otford, Kent. The members of two bands, Copper Viper (acoustic folk/bluegrass trio) and Crooked Weather (folk trio) joined forces and played 3 sets, one as a duo, one as a trio and one as a quartet. Really interesting stuff, well received by a near-capacity audience.

Sadly, the planned St Edith's gig tonight, with Chris Helme (ex-Seahorses) has been put back to January due to low ticket sales.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #1650 on: June 17, 2022, 09:23:56 AM »

Saw a really good gig last week, "The Copper Viper Roadshow" at St Edith's folk club in Otford, Kent. The members of two bands, Copper Viper (acoustic folk/bluegrass trio) and Crooked Weather (folk trio) joined forces and played 3 sets, one as a duo, one as a trio and one as a quartet. Really interesting stuff, well received by a near-capacity audience.

I know Crooked Weather, and they're excellent.  Will definitely investigate...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Poor Will (Bill)
coocoocachoo would just be silly
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Bognor Regis West Sussex

« Reply #1651 on: June 19, 2022, 09:44:12 AM »

The Unthanks at the New Life Church Emsworth.

When I saw this gig was in a church, I wasn’t expecting something resembling an aircraft hanger!(Sorry God, but it really isn’t one of your better houses.)
I thought it might be difficult to create any atmosphere in such a place, but the audience (around 600)
were held spellbound by those glorious harmonies.

In the words of the Zen Master " Don't just do something, sit there"
Phil Perry
sufficiently persuaded

« Reply #1652 on: June 19, 2022, 07:20:09 PM »

Julie July Band at The Quay, Sudbury yesterday, including their tribute to Sandy Denny, focusing on the 1970 Fotheringay album. JJ has a lovely voice, lead guitarist Steve Rizillo really echoes the contribution of the great Jerry Donahue, whilst bassist Dik Cadbury shows he was worth his place in Steve Hackett's band. Probably my favourite gig of the year so far (ie over Tin Giants, FC and Flook - not that there was anything wrong with any of those bands). Definitely recommended.  
garrypbrooks

« Reply #1653 on: June 20, 2022, 12:42:17 PM »

Julie July Band at The Quay, Sudbury yesterday, including their tribute to Sandy Denny, focusing on the 1970 Fotheringay album. JJ has a lovely voice, lead guitarist Steve Rizillo really echoes the contribution of the great Jerry Donahue, whilst bassist Dik Cadbury shows he was worth his place in Steve Hackett's band. Probably my favourite gig of the year so far (ie over Tin Giants, FC and Flook - not that there was anything wrong with any of those bands). Definitely recommended.  

Thanks for this Phil. Sounds like a band I should see, I've added them to my songkick.com list
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #1654 on: June 24, 2022, 12:30:07 AM »

Wendy and I went to see Spiers and Boden last night at Pontardawe Arts Centre.

A small but perfectly formed audience of just over 100 saw great performances of some great tunes and all went home thoroughly satisfied, I'd wager, especially after "New York Girls" as an encore.

* FB_IMG_1656067841790.jpg (50.83 KB, 1809x960 - viewed 395 times.)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2022, 03:10:01 PM by Andy » Logged

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
wayne stote
Many thanks for the Doobies advice

« Reply #1655 on: June 24, 2022, 09:33:04 AM »

Happy to report that Darden Smith was on top form last night, in Saltaire. The first set was based around his new album/book combo, Western Skies, and given the strength of the songs played, it's looking like this one will be up there with his very best work. The second half was, essentially, a request-from-the-audience affair, including some rarely played material and even a couple from Evidence, his 1989 album with Boo Hewerdine. Terrific stuff.

As an aside, this was my first visit to The Live Room at the Carolina St Social Club. It's a fine venue. They have regular international roots/Americana/folk  evenings, with the likes of Della Mae, The Black Feathers, The Chapin Sisters, Charm Of Finches and Jon Boden, appearing over the next few months. Worth a look, if you're based anywhere near West Yorkshire.
Phil Perry
sufficiently persuaded

« Reply #1656 on: June 26, 2022, 12:31:46 PM »

Already, another favourite gig of the year so far ... Green Diesel (and some very good local bands) at the free Leigh Folk Festival yesterday. They should have been given a longer slot on the bill, but it was still an excellent set. With thanks to Wayne of this parish ... without him I would never have heard of them  Smiley
wayne stote
Many thanks for the Doobies advice

« Reply #1657 on: June 26, 2022, 06:52:33 PM »

Already, another favourite gig of the year so far ... Green Diesel (and some very good local bands) at the free Leigh Folk Festival yesterday. They should have been given a longer slot on the bill, but it was still an excellent set. With thanks to Wayne of this parish ... without him I would never have heard of them  Smiley

Delighted that you enjoyed them!  Smiley
Adam
I'm looking at you, Cool Cat!
Folkcorp Guru

I'm a llama!

« Reply #1658 on: June 27, 2022, 07:26:54 AM »

The Rolling Stones, Hyde park, on Saturday. I went with some trepidation, but they absolutely killed it. Jagger was on fine form (god knows how a 78 year old can move like that!), and his voice was strong. Keith and co looked like they were enjoying themselves, and the huge audience were treated to hit after hit. Gimme Shelter has to be one of the best rock songs ever written.  Really nice tribute to Charlie Watts started the show as well. What a band!
JohnP69

« Reply #1659 on: June 27, 2022, 07:45:35 AM »

The Rolling Stones, Hyde park, on Saturday. I went with some trepidation, but they absolutely killed it. Jagger was on fine form (god knows how a 78 year old can move like that!), and his voice was strong. Keith and co looked like they were enjoying themselves, and the huge audience were treated to hit after hit. Gimme Shelter has to be one of the best rock songs ever written.  Really nice tribute to Charlie Watts started the show as well. What a band!

Well said Adam! I was there too and enjoyed every second of their set.
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 104   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: