TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 20, 2024, 05:07:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 104   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recent gigs  (Read 814635 times)
David V B
Order from the other side of the living room

« Reply #1500 on: October 29, 2021, 07:50:47 AM »

Saw Billy Bragg night before in Oxford. Had exactly same reaction. First concert in almost two years and it was great to be back with a strong sense of community. Very good balance of old and new. It is easy to forget what a very fine songwriter he is and a great raconteur.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #1501 on: October 29, 2021, 03:09:50 PM »

My Sue saw Billy in Liverpool during the week.  She loved it.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #1502 on: November 01, 2021, 10:45:11 AM »

I never thought I'd say this but I thoroughly enjoyed Rick Astley on Saturday  Shocked I think maybe a dearth of live music had made me desperate  Grin but he was very professional and I actually had a bit of a boogie! The gig was in the Cardiff Motorpoint Arena with at least 4000 in attendance so my group (8 of us) were a bit apprehensive. No need though. Covid passports, bags and tickets were checked quickly and efficiently so no queues, and once we were in most people took off their masks and we were able to relax.  

Rick has an excellent (rock) band and 2 superb female backing singers, and played a good selection of his music and some covers. Yes, there was the inevitable Stock, Aitken & Waterman but he's made them his own now and they were quite different from the original frothy pop. His recent stuff is Ok, definitely worth a listen if you're happy to try something different once in a while. If you enjoyed Trevor Horn at Cropredy you'd enjoy Rick....  Wink

The reason we went is Mr Bridgwit's brother was playing the same circuits in the North West as Rick in the 80's and their paths crossed often. I drag him along to prog and folk concerts so it's only fair I go to some of his faves once in a while!

The only downside of the whole evening was the minibus we'd booked to pick us up decided to pick up someone else instead leaving 8 of us stranded in Cardiff at 11pm on a match day. In the end a Policewoman told us to get on the replacement bus to Barry as taxis were ripping off people by charging up to £60 (it's usually £20). So we eventually got back to Barry for free and paid £6 for a taxi from the station to home. Annoying, but at least it wasn't raining...

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1503 on: November 01, 2021, 10:54:55 AM »

and once we were in most people took off their masks and we were able to relax.

This is the utter madness of the current situation.  The covid passports are giving an entirely false sense of 'safety' from the virus.  The number of double vaccinated (but not yet boosted) people I know with (or recently have had) the virus is large.  It's particularly high in South Wales as well.  Personally, I'd be able to relax a lot more if everybody kept their bloody masks on...  I'm currently very unsure whether I'll be going to the Human League et al in Cardiff just before Christmas.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1504 on: November 01, 2021, 02:35:48 PM »

and once we were in most people took off their masks and we were able to relax.

This is the utter madness of the current situation.  The covid passports are giving an entirely false sense of 'safety' from the virus.  The number of double vaccinated (but not yet boosted) people I know with (or recently have had) the virus is large.  It's particularly high in South Wales as well.  Personally, I'd be able to relax a lot more if everybody kept their bloody masks on...  I'm currently very unsure whether I'll be going to the Human League et al in Cardiff just before Christmas.
Not everyone removed their masks, some kept them on the whole gig.

Mike (triple jabbed) and I (double jabbed) made a decision a few months ago that we'd weigh up the risk at the time - how safe we felt and how it would affect our enjoyment of the event, and if we weren't happy we'd go home. Wales does have high rates, but many of those are hospital-acquired, which has been an issue for the last 20 months here. I appreciate you'd want to be extra careful though David.

Lubiloo (Lorna)
Google that lot, Bob!
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #1505 on: November 01, 2021, 05:15:21 PM »

I felt the same as David when we attended a gig over the border recently. The venue recommended mask use indoors, to which we’re accustomed as it is still mandatory here.

I would say the majority removed their masks. I didn’t.
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #1506 on: November 03, 2021, 01:09:42 PM »

Buddy Guy last night at Sony Music Hall in Manhattan. I have long wanted to see him. Came close once years ago  but never managed to since so I was excited. Even at 85 that voice still hits you like a freight train, and his guitar is still sharp, and staggering. His stories in between songs were fun. The show meandered a little but he and his band always brought it back on point. At one point he tapped out a Hendrix riff on the fretboard with a drum stick that was astounding! Really happy to have finally seen him.

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Loc: South Oxon

Block and Chip

« Reply #1507 on: November 09, 2021, 10:57:36 PM »

I generally find myself in Cambridge of a Tuesday evening these days, so I took the opportunity to go and see This Is The Kit.

Once again, very, very good! Hypnotic music I could listen to for hours, and the band on fine form.

As for masks, about 50:50. I wrote mine, except while I drank a beer (one pint before the support act. I had to drive after.) I did feel the mask was largely a token. I'm not sure how one could provide benefit in a room like that over a long duration. I may be reliant on the venue's and punters' diligence.

Cheers

Nick

You've got questions, we've got assumptions
JJ (Joanna)
safely sewn on
Global Moderator

Loc: Essex

nice McTell I'm wearin!

« Reply #1508 on: November 12, 2021, 08:00:31 PM »

Show of Hands last night at The Apex, Bury St. Edmunds was a refreshing lively tuneful enjoyable evening. Having not yet seen them play with Cormac I have to say I really did miss Miranda's input, some songs really suit her playing and voice.

The stage set brought a smile to everyone's faces, we thought at first it was to depict wartime, 1940's style but it was meant to be Phil's lounge so he felt 'at home'  Grin Grin

....may my love be your protector; and walk with you 'til next we meet
R.McTell - An Irish Blessing.
Col D

Loc: South Cheshire

« Reply #1509 on: November 13, 2021, 02:33:17 PM »

65 Days of Static at Gorilla in Manchester last night. Superb gig but incredibly loud, my ears are still recovering despite the earplugs.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1510 on: November 13, 2021, 02:46:41 PM »

65 Days of Static at Gorilla in Manchester last night. Superb gig but incredibly loud, my ears are still recovering despite the earplugs.

Another mate also went.  He didn't have ear plugs and he's googling about permanent damage to his ears today...  Cry

blagden
Money for
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: South God's Own Country

I am a rebel - whilst ever my wife will let me be!

« Reply #1511 on: November 13, 2021, 04:55:22 PM »

Another mate also went.  He didn't have ear plugs and he's googling about permanent damage to his ears today...  Cry

I love this band, the Peel sessions they did were pretty special.
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #1512 on: November 15, 2021, 05:07:56 PM »

Tommy Emmanuel/Richard Smith - Paramount Theater, Austin, Texas, last night!

I got a late invite to sit in an opera box at the venerable Paramount, to see Tommy Emmanuel for the first time. Many of you are probably familiar with his talents, but I was a virgin. Suffice it to say, he is a miraculous acoustic player. Richard Smith is quite a discovery for me, as well. They teamed up for a few Travis-picked tunes. Amazing. They have dethroned RT in my guitar-playing esteem.
garrypbrooks

« Reply #1513 on: November 15, 2021, 05:37:59 PM »

Tommy Emmanuel/Richard Smith - Paramount Theater, Austin, Texas, last night!

I got a late invite to sit in an opera box at the venerable Paramount, to see Tommy Emmanuel for the first time. Many of you are probably familiar with his talents, but I was a virgin. Suffice it to say, he is a miraculous acoustic player. Richard Smith is quite a discovery for me, as well. They teamed up for a few Travis-picked tunes. Amazing. They have dethroned RT in my guitar-playing esteem.

I'm not a musician,  but to my eyes and ears,  both of these guys are the dog's b*****ks.

Absolutely amazing what Tommy E can do by himself. There's a   great TE video of a TED talk he did called "My Life As A One-Man Band" at
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENJuNCkPfx0

Enjoy!
David V B
Order from the other side of the living room

« Reply #1514 on: November 19, 2021, 03:04:18 PM »

Chris Wood at the Cornerstone in Didcot. All sat round tables like a trad folk club which was pleasant though maybe a bit lacking in atmosphere as numbers weren’t great. He was on fine form though with a wide range of material. Clearly delighted to be back on stage again. A large dose of healthy cynicism was just what I was needing after my week at work!

Off to Martyn Joseph on Saturday. Dates to launch his excellent new album, so it should be a splendid evening. (The new CD is one of his very best - highly recommended.)
Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Loc: South Oxon

Block and Chip

« Reply #1515 on: November 19, 2021, 11:16:52 PM »

Chris Wood at the Cornerstone in Didcot.

Trying to work out how we missed you David!

That was a lovely gig. Chris Wood gigs invariably are. He does suit a smaller/older setting (previously the Quaker Meeting House, Old Fire Station, and Cogges Farm have all been perfect settings for him) but I'm ever grateful for the Cornerstone's continued interest in promoting folk music.

Cheers

Nick

You've got questions, we've got assumptions
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #1516 on: November 21, 2021, 11:10:42 PM »

The Rolling Stones, last night, Circuit of the Americas, Austin, Texas! This is likely "the last time" I will see Mick, Keef, Ronnie et al, and obviously never again in my hometown, so it was well worth the aggravation.

Here's a useful review with setlist, for those who can access U.S. media: https://www.austin360.com/story/entertainment/music/2021/11/21/rolling-stones-review-incendiary-concert-austin-close-big-tour/8710063002/

I don't have much to add, except he understates the complete cluster associated with driving to and parking at the venue. They seemed ill-equipped to accommodate an event of this size. If they want to host mega-events in the future, they should consider, among other things, shuttle service from remote parking locations with very limited on-site parking.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1517 on: November 22, 2021, 10:26:35 AM »

Wilson & Wakeman at Acapela this last Friday.

They were the last act we'd seen before lockdown last year so we saw this as a bit of a full circle. We knew it would be emotional, and it was...  Roll Eyes

Damien Wilson's lyrics are thought-provoking and his and Adam Wakeman's delivery is impassioned and heartfelt. Cross reference this with the gentle humour and jousting between songs and it makes for a proper rollercoaster of emotions. Two lovely, immensely talented men.

I hope it's a long, long way off, but I want this played at my funeral. It's simply beautiful: "When I Leave This Land" (set to Pixar animation)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSLiq-5fzMA

PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #1518 on: November 23, 2021, 05:48:46 PM »

The Rolling Stones, last night, Circuit of the Americas, Austin, Texas! This is likely "the last time" I will see Mick, Keef, Ronnie et al, and obviously never again in my hometown, so it was well worth the aggravation.

Here's a useful review with setlist, for those who can access U.S. media: https://www.austin360.com/story/entertainment/music/2021/11/21/rolling-stones-review-incendiary-concert-austin-close-big-tour/8710063002/

I don't have much to add, except he understates the complete cluster associated with driving to and parking at the venue. They seemed ill-equipped to accommodate an event of this size. If they want to host mega-events in the future, they should consider, among other things, shuttle service from remote parking locations with very limited on-site parking.

And there's an Albions/FC link - Stones keyboardist Matt Clifford was with the Albion Band for a while, and appeared on Cathy Lesurf's "Surface" LP with Jerry D, Dave Mattacks and Peggy!

Flobbadob!
DarrenWilliams

Loc: St Helens

« Reply #1519 on: November 25, 2021, 09:05:09 AM »

Not sure this really counts, but took my daughter to see Return Of The Jedi with live orchestra at the Bridgewater Hall in Manchester last night. Or more accurately, my daughter accompanied me to see it. Whatever, we both enjoyed it. First time I've been to the Bridgewater Hall and I was really impressed, it is a stunning venue (internally at least).
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 104   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: