TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 27, 2024, 10:19:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Reissues of interest.  (Read 167892 times)
Phil Perry
sufficiently persuaded

Loc: Hertfordshire

« Reply #340 on: March 23, 2023, 05:08:13 PM »

You're right so far as the investment angle is concerned David, but I was talking as someone who "only" buys CDs to listen to them  Grin
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #341 on: March 23, 2023, 05:19:35 PM »

You're right so far as the investment angle is concerned David, but I was talking as someone who "only" buys CDs to listen to them  Grin

Now, that's a novel concept... Grin

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #342 on: March 23, 2023, 05:58:40 PM »

I love The Moodies, but I'm not really a fan of box sets with hundreds of extra tracks that I'll probably not listen to more than once.

I'm still holding out for a comprehensive remastered box of their albums from DOFP through SS, with bonus tracks. If such a unicorn exists, please tip me off. There seems to be a chasm between the Decca and Threshold releases that makes this challenging to pull off. I've been making due with "This is the Moody Blues" for two decades or so.

Meanwhile, I'm also holding out for a sealed copy of Billy Joel's complete albums box set, which covered everything back in 2011 and promptly sold out across the globe. I didn't become aware of its existence until recently.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #343 on: March 23, 2023, 10:03:58 PM »

£75? Not a hope that this mug will be buying that.

I have ordered it for £56 including delivery from my usual UK price busting source. Nearly £20 cheaper than Amazon UK.

I love The Moodies, but I'm not really a fan of box sets with hundreds of extra tracks that I'll probably not listen to more than once.

The extra tracks are pretty good here, a lengthy set of BBC sessions and a full 1969 concert from the Royal Albert Hall. I think I am likely to go back to both of those. Also the blu-ray has both the albuma and the concert in surround. Not everyone wants or needs the latter but for those of us who like that sort of thing this set is a pretty good collection, at least at the price I have paid. Compare that to the flimsy Revolver box by the Beatles last year and the ludicrously over inflated price of that one.
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #344 on: March 24, 2023, 12:53:49 PM »

Conflicted on this one. Definitely interested in the live recording, but To Our Children’s has never been a favorite. Must pull out the cassette and listen again for reconsideration!

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #345 on: March 24, 2023, 02:48:24 PM »

A few weeks off but a vinyl reissue of BJH:  Once Again from Vherry Red.
Peter Allen

« Reply #346 on: March 24, 2023, 06:29:00 PM »

Cherry Red
That's a story worth a TV documentary - how they track down the musicians , get the permission's , best sources for leftovers , which extra tracks make the cut , which remain unheard , how they make economic sense of it all , how many to press in which format , marketing m publicity.....

Didn't they have their own TV channel

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #347 on: March 24, 2023, 07:48:57 PM »

I have ordered it for £56 including delivery from my usual UK price busting source. Nearly £20 cheaper than Amazon UK.

The extra tracks are pretty good here, a lengthy set of BBC sessions and a full 1969 concert from the Royal Albert Hall. I think I am likely to go back to both of those. Also the blu-ray has both the albuma and the concert in surround. Not everyone wants or needs the latter but for those of us who like that sort of thing this set is a pretty good collection, at least at the price I have paid. Compare that to the flimsy Revolver box by the Beatles last year and the ludicrously over inflated price of that one.

Which is?  Amazon.de?

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #348 on: March 24, 2023, 09:42:13 PM »

Which is?  Amazon.de?

jpc.de
JohnP69

« Reply #349 on: March 25, 2023, 06:29:25 AM »

Conflicted on this one. Definitely interested in the live recording, but To Our Children’s has never been a favorite. Must pull out the cassette and listen again for reconsideration!

The live concert is getting a stand alone vinyl release

https://thesoundofvinyl.com/collections/the-moody-blues/products/the-royal-albert-hall-concert-december-1969-vinyl-lp-12-exclusive-signed-print
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #350 on: March 25, 2023, 10:44:17 AM »

Which is?  Amazon.de?

jpc.de

And how does this work...with extra tax surcharges etc.?

GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #351 on: March 27, 2023, 09:45:58 AM »

Which is?  Amazon.de?

jpc.de

And how does this work...with extra tax surcharges etc.?

Very simply. There aren't any provided the product is below a certain value. I think it is £134 but I might be misremembering. I have used jpc several times since Brexit with no problems at all other than it generally takes an extra week to get the package. I have used FNAC in France too with the same result.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #352 on: March 27, 2023, 10:27:29 AM »

Very simply. There aren't any provided the product is below a certain value. I think it is £134 but I might be misremembering. I have used jpc several times since Brexit with no problems at all other than it generally takes an extra week to get the package. I have used FNAC in France too with the same result.

Thanks, Al.  Is there a particular thing with box sets or whatever that are cheaper there...as I've just looked at every one of my recent physical purchases and they are all actually more expensive with this seller than with the British companies I bought from.

GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #353 on: March 27, 2023, 11:56:02 AM »

Thanks, Al.  Is there a particular thing with box sets or whatever that are cheaper there...as I've just looked at every one of my recent physical purchases and they are all actually more expensive with this seller than with the British companies I bought from.

No, I think it is luck of the draw. I have looked at stuff from time to time that hasn't been any cheaper than here but I have been lucky with the last two Dylan Bootleg boxes, the Doobie Bros quadrophonic box, Vol 2 of the Joni Mitchell Archives (though that one did reduce in price in the UK fairly quickly), the Beatles Let It Be box and probably some others that I have forgotten.

Remember the price to the UK is cheaper than the price you initially see as they remove the German purchase tax at the checkout.

The Waterboys Magnificent Seven big box was another one. I got it from jpc for just over £50. Currently £128 on Amazon UK.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #354 on: March 27, 2023, 12:40:10 PM »

No, I think it is luck of the draw. I have looked at stuff from time to time that hasn't been any cheaper than here but I have been lucky with the last two Dylan Bootleg boxes, the Doobie Bros quadrophonic box, Vol 2 of the Joni Mitchell Archives (though that one did reduce in price in the UK fairly quickly), the Beatles Let It Be box and probably some others that I have forgotten.

Remember the price to the UK is cheaper than the price you initially see as they remove the German purchase tax at the checkout.

The Waterboys Magnificent Seven big box was another one. I got it from jpc for just over £50. Currently £128 on Amazon UK.

Thanks for making me think of that again..it's suddenly gone (relatively) cheap as chips.  Weird.

Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #355 on: March 27, 2023, 12:56:16 PM »

!!!! I paid less than a quarter of that from Amazon!

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #356 on: March 27, 2023, 01:36:52 PM »

!!!! I paid less than a quarter of that from Amazon!

For the big box with the hardback book? Or the CD sized edition?

The book alone, which was also available separately from the CDs, is £26 on Amazon.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #357 on: March 27, 2023, 06:04:31 PM »

The book alone, which was also available separately from the CDs, is £26 on Amazon.

A mate of mine picked up a new copy of the big box with the book for £28 on eBay last September.   Shocked

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #358 on: March 27, 2023, 07:37:00 PM »

A mate of mine picked up a new copy of the big box with the book for £28 on eBay last September.   Shocked

Jules

Wow. That's a major bargain. I thought it was well worth what I paid for it.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #359 on: March 27, 2023, 08:32:38 PM »

Wow. That's a major bargain. I thought it was well worth what I paid for it.

Same. Although I did get mine free from Mr Scott.  Grin

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: