TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 29, 2024, 09:12:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Reissues of interest.  (Read 167954 times)
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #320 on: February 14, 2023, 02:52:19 PM »

Email received stating the long awaited Horslips set has been dispatched.
I was beginning to think it would never actually be released!

We'll see you in 2024 then....enjoy Grin

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #321 on: February 14, 2023, 11:09:14 PM »

Yes mine too. Arriving tomorrow apparently just in time for my birthday on Sunday. I am going away for a couple of days on Monday so I think I shall take it with me and sit surrounded by beautiful English countryside and a soundtrack of mystic Celtic rock.
PJayBe

« Reply #322 on: February 15, 2023, 04:28:09 PM »

Mine landed yesterday, just going to open it now!!  Looking forward to the allegedly forthcoming BBC 4xCD, 1xDVD set that may be due................
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #323 on: February 15, 2023, 11:17:04 PM »

Mine arrived this morning, it weighs a ton 😱, but it is a feast for the eyes and ears

The Dude abides
Brendan
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Barrow-in-Furness

« Reply #324 on: March 09, 2023, 04:01:49 PM »

Just ordered the illusion ‘Everywhere You Go’, 4CD collection which includes the two original Island albums, the ‘lost’ third album ‘Enchanted Caress’ (recorded 1979-1980), and the reunion album ‘Through The Fire’ (2001), plus an array of extra tracks including many unreleased demos and alternate versions. Out of the Mist is a brilliant album, and Madonna is great, I
Will be interested to hear the rest.

"I'm only a bag of Rags in an Overall"
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #325 on: March 09, 2023, 08:57:01 PM »

Just ordered the illusion ‘Everywhere You Go’, 4CD collection which includes the two original Island albums, the ‘lost’ third album ‘Enchanted Caress’ (recorded 1979-1980), and the reunion album ‘Through The Fire’ (2001), plus an array of extra tracks including many unreleased demos and alternate versions. Out of the Mist is a brilliant album, and Madonna is great, I

That reminds me of the time I saw Renaissance in the very early 70s.  They were ok but the crowd only knew Islands, off the sampler Ip Bumpers, which they protested was done by another group of the same name.  Then they went and did a note perfect version of it.

The Dude abides
Brendan
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Barrow-in-Furness

« Reply #326 on: March 09, 2023, 10:30:23 PM »

My dad had islands and possibly for that reason I never enjoyed the later lineups music, though I think they were more successful.

"I'm only a bag of Rags in an Overall"
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #327 on: March 10, 2023, 09:12:35 AM »

I've advance  ordered the Cherry Red reissue of Song For All Seasons, on vinyl.
I have the Repertoire CD of the self titled Renaissance album.
The latter is sort of nice, but never quite as good as I want or expect it to be, the way some albums are.  Roll Eyes Smiley
Phil Perry
sufficiently persuaded

Loc: Hertfordshire

« Reply #328 on: March 10, 2023, 10:12:36 AM »

Good to see the love for Renaissance & Illusion here. I can see why some people accuse them of being saccharine, but when you're in the mood for a bit of a sugar-hit there's no better band  Smiley Jane Relf's vocals are lovely and John Tout is a great keyboardist, heard to equally good effect on two Strawbs albums, Hero & Heroine and Ghosts. As to the later Annie Haslam version of the band, I'd particularly recommend Novella, which is probably their most adventurous outing and often overlooked.
Col D

Loc: South Cheshire

« Reply #329 on: March 10, 2023, 11:46:32 PM »

Good to see the love for Renaissance & Illusion here. I can see why some people accuse them of being saccharine, but when you're in the mood for a bit of a sugar-hit there's no better band  Smiley Jane Relf's vocals are lovely and John Tout is a great keyboardist, heard to equally good effect on two Strawbs albums, Hero & Heroine and Ghosts. As to the later Annie Haslam version of the band, I'd particularly recommend Novella, which is probably their most adventurous outing and often overlooked.

I think you mean John Hawken Phil, John Tout replaced him towards the end of 1970. Hawken was the last man standing from the original line-up but supposedly he had a problem with Jane Relf's replacement and jumped ship to join Spooky Tooth briefly.

I've just got the Live Fillmore West and Other Adventures box, lots of early live material from the original line-up and some interesting video including a BBC documentary from '69 I've not seen before.
Phil Perry
sufficiently persuaded

« Reply #330 on: March 11, 2023, 02:03:58 PM »

You're correct, I had "Hawken" in my head and typed "Tout" !  Tongue Only other place I've come across John Tout is guesting on Wishbone Ash's Argus album. This was kind of an Ash / Renaissance reciprocation of sorts, as earlier on, Andy Powell had guested on Ashes are Burning.
Col D

Loc: South Cheshire

« Reply #331 on: March 11, 2023, 05:44:39 PM »

You're correct, I had "Hawken" in my head and typed "Tout" !  Tongue Only other place I've come across John Tout is guesting on Wishbone Ash's Argus album. This was kind of an Ash / Renaissance reciprocation of sorts, as earlier on, Andy Powell had guested on Ashes are Burning.

I think they shared the same management at the time - Miles Copeland's BTM if I remember correctly.
Paul B

« Reply #332 on: March 23, 2023, 08:59:51 AM »

I know there are quite a few Moodies fans in the TAW group

http://www.imwan.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=118312
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #333 on: March 23, 2023, 10:03:28 AM »

I could be tempted but it needs to be £20 cheaper.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #334 on: March 23, 2023, 10:11:10 AM »

I could be tempted but it needs to be £20 cheaper.

Some of all of these types of releases are superfluous for every purchaser.  It's very frustrating.  I suspect there'll be a standalone release as well?  

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #335 on: March 23, 2023, 10:12:37 AM »

£75? Not a hope that this mug will be buying that.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #336 on: March 23, 2023, 11:03:35 AM »

I love The Moodies, but I'm not really a fan of box sets with hundreds of extra tracks that I'll probably not listen to more than once.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
Phil Perry
sufficiently persuaded

« Reply #337 on: March 23, 2023, 01:23:31 PM »

Me too - and "Children" is my favourite LP of their's. But I agree that for many of us those box sets are just too much .... as in taking up too much space on the shelf as well as too much money. Now, when Jethro Tull brought out their Songs from the Wood and Heavy Horses box sets, they also brought out single disc "best of the box" releases. Those really were worth getting as they included many of the "new" bonus tracks. I suspect that the reason nobody now puts out such releases is that it discourages too many of us to refrain from splashing out on the box set itself! (In any case, I suspect that no other band could boast of such a wealth of high-quality unreleased material as Tull ... and from just one songwriter as well ... ).  
Phil Perry
sufficiently persuaded

« Reply #338 on: March 23, 2023, 01:25:53 PM »

I should have said "encourages" not "discourages"  .... too many negatives !
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #339 on: March 23, 2023, 02:34:49 PM »

Me too - and "Children" is my favourite LP of their's. But I agree that for many of us those box sets are just too much .... as in taking up too much space on the shelf as well as too much money. Now, when Jethro Tull brought out their Songs from the Wood and Heavy Horses box sets, they also brought out single disc "best of the box" releases. Those really were worth getting as they included many of the "new" bonus tracks. I suspect that the reason nobody now puts out such releases is that it discourages too many of us to refrain from splashing out on the box set itself! (In any case, I suspect that no other band could boast of such a wealth of high-quality unreleased material as Tull ... and from just one songwriter as well ... ).  

They're probably not the best example actually as you really should have bought them, as the Tull boxes now sell for stupid money...Songs from the Wood regularly hitting £200 and Heavy Horses £100-150....whereas you can buy the box set of their best album, Benefit for about £25-30.  Go figure!

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: